Pre pay gas stations ripoff scheme.

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
I care

Carthage, NY

#1 Aug 15, 2011
Ever notice when you pay cash before you gas up your vehicle,as you are pumping gas into your car, have you ever noticed that you can hear the gas going into the tank...then,all of the sudden you can not hear the gas going into the tank before the full amount of what you payed for...like $5.00 is being taken from you without getting the full amount of what you payed for. In other words the pump is still ticking down as there is nothing going into the car.
Please be aware of this scam.
JUST SOME CLOWN

New Hartford, NY

#2 Aug 15, 2011
Really? I think your wrong. I pre pay all the time with gas cans and watch the fuel go into the can
Bastat

Utica, NY

#3 Aug 15, 2011
I care wrote:
Ever notice when you pay cash before you gas up your vehicle,as you are pumping gas into your car, have you ever noticed that you can hear the gas going into the tank...then,all of the sudden you can not hear the gas going into the tank before the full amount of what you payed for...like $5.00 is being taken from you without getting the full amount of what you payed for. In other words the pump is still ticking down as there is nothing going into the car.
Paranoid much?
One more thing

East Syracuse, NY

#4 Aug 15, 2011
How about when you prepay and they slow the pump speed down at a $1 before your prepay amount. The Save On at 13/31 slows the pump down at 10% of the prepay amount!!! It is bullsh**!! It is ok in the summer time but how about when it is zero out and the wind is blowing? PPl will just say F this and jump in their cars and short themselves some gas and put some extra $$$ in the pockets of gas station owners. I know the law doesn't apply to the oneidas but there should be a law for the other stations-the pump is on high speed until $.25 before the prepaid amount.
Bastat

Utica, NY

#5 Aug 15, 2011
Yes, so sure their scheme is to get people frustrated when it slows down so they will say "Skip it" and leave without the full amount of gas.....Wow. Conspiracy theory at it's finest. What color is the sky in your world?
Just the facts

Dover, DE

#6 Aug 15, 2011
One more thing wrote:
How about when you prepay and they slow the pump speed down at a $1 before your prepay amount. The Save On at 13/31 slows the pump down at 10% of the prepay amount!!! It is bullsh**!! It is ok in the summer time but how about when it is zero out and the wind is blowing? PPl will just say F this and jump in their cars and short themselves some gas and put some extra $$$ in the pockets of gas station owners. I know the law doesn't apply to the oneidas but there should be a law for the other stations-the pump is on high speed until $.25 before the prepaid amount.
That is the craziest thing I ever heard.
it happens

United States

#7 Aug 15, 2011
Plenty of stations have been caught altering the pumps. Maybe not locally but it happens. Prepaid at Barneveld Nice and Easy or whatever it is. Pump never reset to 0 so I turned it off and back on. Had to go back in and have it reset. Lady said I pumped in 8 cents so she had to reset the amount. Problem is I never touched the nozzle. Figured it was too much a hassle to argue over 8 cents so just let it go.
Ripped off too

Cortland, NY

#9 Aug 15, 2011
I was at the Sunoco near KFC last week and got $20 when my tank was on E...and it stopped short on $19.93....I knew it wasn't because my tank was full...but I was in a hurry and wasn't going to freak over 7 cents, but imagine if a station owner did it 100, 200 times a day...... over the course of a year...that's some nice money they are making.......
AN IDEA

AOL

#10 Aug 15, 2011
Next time the pump slows down, pull the nozzle out and put it over your head while the meter is still spinning and see if anything is coming out. This works best with a lit cigarette in your mouth.
I care

Carthage, NY

#11 Aug 15, 2011
AN IDEA wrote:
Next time the pump slows down, pull the nozzle out and put it over your head while the meter is still spinning and see if anything is coming out. This works best with a lit cigarette in your mouth.

Actually, I did take the nozzle out just to see if there was gas coming out of it,and as I expected... it was Not running, not even a drop of gas was coming from the nozzle. This, being the second time that this has happened to me. The gas station got $5.00 and I got $15.00 worth of gas when I payed $20.00.
I never say anything unless I have the facts. I am just stating the true facts. I just want everyone to be aware of what is happening at the pump. Take it or leave it... just be informed.
I care

Carthage, NY

#12 Aug 15, 2011
gus wrote:
If people drove smaller, fuel-efficient vehicles then they wouldn't have to fret over 50 cents in lost gas. I'm pretty sure the person who started this post, and the people who contribute comments to his conspiracy theory, drive pickups that are the size of small cities. If you ride a bicycle you won't have to worry about gas at all. I wonder where these people need to be that it's so important they need a small tank just to get around.
I drive a small car to work and back home again. I am a disabled person that actually works for a living. If I could, I would like to ride a bike again. I would not have fretted over 50 cents, hell, you cant even buy a candybar with that now a days. I lost $5.00 at the pump...and I want people, hard working people to be informed about what is going on at the gas stations... maybe not all stations are doing this. I just want people to be aware.
Face It

Utica, NY

#13 Aug 15, 2011
If this did really happen, as I think it didn't. Call weights and measures and report them. Just remember you need to leave your name, so be sure about what your saying, before starting trouble.
Time 4 bed

Atlanta, GA

#14 Aug 16, 2011
Bastat wrote:
<quoted text>Paranoid much?
The poorer they are the more paranoid they get. I'm not rich I make low 90s but I'll shoot myself before I start worrying about 20 cents of gas. Is it that bad back there?
interesting

United States

#15 Aug 16, 2011
I care wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be watching for this!!
finnin gats me job

Buffalo, NY

#16 Aug 16, 2011
Time 4 bed wrote:
<quoted text>The poorer they are the more paranoid they get. I'm not rich I make low 90s but I'll shoot myself before I start worrying about 20 cents of gas. Is it that bad back there?
The only thing you make is yo momma, mudshark.

Utica34
Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Albany, NY

#17 Mar 6, 2013
AN IDEA wrote:
This. Lol

Level 8

Since: Jul 12

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Mar 6, 2013
Then use a bank card and don't pre pay
extra

Utica, NY

#19 Mar 6, 2013
gus wrote:
If people drove smaller, fuel-efficient vehicles then they wouldn't have to fret over 50 cents in lost gas. I'm pretty sure the person who started this post, and the people who contribute comments to his conspiracy theory, drive pickups that are the size of small cities. If you ride a bicycle you won't have to worry about gas at all. I wonder where these people need to be that it's so important they need a small tank just to get around.
I drive a small car, that is my 50 cents, not the stores. If it is no big deal then give the customer the extra 50 cents.

Level 3

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#20 Mar 6, 2013
Just imagine how bad people are being screwed when an attendant pumps the gas. They short fill you, charge you for the requested amount and pocket the difference. I knew a kid that work at the gas station at the four corners in Washington Mills who did this all the time. Same trick if they checked your oil. They would say you were low and they grab an empty oil bottle and pretend to top it off. They also had two different buckets of windshield wash. If they like you you got the good stuff, if they didn't you got the flavor of the day. I could be just be dirty, pissed in, had soda in it, any number of things.
bridgewater donk

Utica, NY

#21 Mar 6, 2013
Anyone know where to get non-ethanol gas around here?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Utica Nano in the news 39 min Dave 2
Whitesboro police 52 min Anonymous 17
Jreck subs coming to yorkville 1 hr Jreck and the bea... 12
Sam wessing 1 hr Giggidy 26
Clifford gas prices/ripoff 1 hr Clifford 2
The Steak & Pickle Restaurant 1 hr Uh huh 7
kristen drama queen copeland (Sep '14) 1 hr Uh huh 22
Ranking Utica Prostitutes 2 hr Ilion 234
Valley View 9 hr I'm pretty sure 25
Biggest RAT in ufd 9 hr birnie 26