Bar crawling in the 80's : the crawl
Crazy nights

Canandaigua, NY

#147 Apr 15, 2011
Well actually I meant Jean's in Westmoreland.
whut da fa

Syracuse, NY

#148 Apr 15, 2011
East Utica - Five Point

West Utica - Patty's Gin Mill
Anonymous

Utica, NY

#149 Apr 18, 2011
The stairway in Johnny's Hideout was named "Abortion Alley"
Fat Tony Salerno

Brockport, NY

#150 Apr 18, 2011
I used to like to hit Mr. Nostalgia for last call. Good times.
Thirty years ago

Ithaca, NY

#151 Apr 19, 2011
Kiki Bridge wrote:
The stairway in Johnny's Hideout was named "Abortion Alley"
And we have a winner!
Gogo

Mount Holly, NJ

#152 Jul 22, 2011
Hi Do you remeber The Gin Mill in Oneida? Who was the owner? Dominic someone?
OMG wrote:
Do you mean Jean's Beans on Hampden Court?! It became something else after that, now I think nothing's there. Used to go there with my grandmother! How about Donnelly's on Oneida Street, across from the old Midnight Pharmacy. Can't remember what came after Donnelly's. I used to live at the corner of Oneida St. and Clinton Place in the early 80s, and it was so safe back then. I'd go to the Dolphin and WALK home at 2 in the morning. Anyone remember Palm's Grill "The Palm" in East Utica?
Pop Question: what was the name of the stairway in Johnny's Hideout? It was painted black with silver metallic graffiti. Let's see how many people respond before I give the answer.
Just Sayin

San Francisco, CA

#153 Jul 22, 2011
In the late 80s...

The Dolphin and Top Spin were major cokehead hangouts. The NH police would sit outside Kilabrew's parking lot waiting to entrap someone. Cavallo's had the worst $1 all-you-can-eat spaghetti on the planet and the line of people waiting went around the block. Cavallo's also had fresh Haddock flown in to the Oriskany Airport every friday morning for their famous fishfry. People thought going to Margaritas in the mall was hot shit, so every bimbo not at JJ's looking to get pregnant by an Air Force guy, was there. If you're a total fucking asshole lawyer, you began with happy hour at Jack Appleseeds, then drove home drunk at 2AM. If you got drunk at Prop's, you had a 95% chance of poking your eye out by a deer antler. Once you got bored with all that, you could take the short drive to the Village Tavern in Clinton and get thrown through glass for no apparent reason. Then get arrested because the aggressor was a towny.

I'll come up with more later...
old school

Syracuse, NY

#154 Jul 22, 2011
Mills had some good places to hang out. Club monarch..1st try inn, and the best of all.. PNA. Shuffleboard, pool, and pickled eggs and pigs feet. Awesome !! Again, you could walk from one to the other.
CLEVELAND ROCKS

Newport, NY

#155 Jul 22, 2011
The Sunset Restaurant when Walter and Edna operated their establishment, brought back alot of good memories. Home of the "longest bar" in Utica, and that 21' shuffleboard, this former butcher served up the best ham sandwiches right up to closing, without any hesitations. Try and get that from a tavern these days. Good luck Earl!
Felonious

Little Falls, NY

#156 Jul 23, 2011
Just Sayin wrote:
In the late 80s...
The Dolphin and Top Spin were major cokehead hangouts. The NH police would sit outside Kilabrew's parking lot waiting to entrap someone. Cavallo's had the worst $1 all-you-can-eat spaghetti on the planet and the line of people waiting went around the block. Cavallo's also had fresh Haddock flown in to the Oriskany Airport every friday morning for their famous fishfry. People thought going to Margaritas in the mall was hot shit, so every bimbo not at JJ's looking to get pregnant by an Air Force guy, was there. If you're a total fucking asshole lawyer, you began with happy hour at Jack Appleseeds, then drove home drunk at 2AM. If you got drunk at Prop's, you had a 95% chance of poking your eye out by a deer antler. Once you got bored with all that, you could take the short drive to the Village Tavern in Clinton and get thrown through glass for no apparent reason. Then get arrested because the aggressor was a towny.
I'll come up with more later...
I hope you do, that was awesome!
great times

Clark Mills, NY

#157 Jul 23, 2011
great times wrote:
How about Dowlings? And does anyone remember the name of the bar on Genessee St in South Utica that Tony Chiffy and Rock Femia from Parkway Drugs owned? Was it the Inferno??
You're talking about Mr.Joe's in South Utica, which later became Lucifer's which was still owned by Tony & Rock. The Inferno was a strip bar in downtown utica.

by the way, does anyone rememer where the Hacienda was located?
mom knows

North Creek, NY

#158 Jul 23, 2011
the Hacienda was on Trenton Rd in Deerfield (when it was still rt12)
great times

Clark Mills, NY

#159 Jul 23, 2011
mom knows wrote:
the Hacienda was on Trenton Rd in Deerfield (when it was still rt12)
wow, it seemed so much further away from Utica back then, how funny! are you talking about past the fire department, or am I thinking of the wrong road? I'm thinking about being at that stop on n. genesee where you can go to the left to go to the fire house, or you can go straight. can you tell me which one is trenton road? and thanks so much!!
Just Sayin

San Francisco, CA

#160 Jul 23, 2011
Early 80's - Getting served underage...

The Trackside Tavern is one of the few places to walk in and have a few beers - at age 15! Hanging out with a much older crowd, sneaking into Rascals thinking you're hot shit at age 16 - only to find one of your female classmates all whored-out hanging all over a group of 20-somethings. A group of 17 year olds going into the Ramada Inn, and telling the 90 year old waiter that we're all medical students in our 20's but don't have ID - and getting served. Having some guys tell you that it's easy to get served at this bar called That Place on Bleeker St. Walking in ahead of three friends and then turn around saying "Hey, I think this is a gay..." Except your friends are long gone. Three guys in their junior year of high school dusting off their one cheap suit and crashing the Saturday evening wedding at the Yahnundasis, then stealing a golf cart, driving through the Sangertown parking lot drunk, getting chased by the NH police - and getting away.

If that got old, we could always drive to the STP in Trenton where three things were guaranteed to happen. First, you're definitely getting served if you're over the age of 12. Second, because you have a clean shirt and all your teeth, some trailer park cougar is going to be all over you. Third, when her husband rolls up in his rusty old pickup, after getting a call from the bartender about his wife, you're either going to run out the back door and hide in a field or take the beating of your life.
Felonious

Little Falls, NY

#161 Jul 23, 2011
Just Sayin wrote:
Early 80's - Getting served underage...
The Trackside Tavern is one of the few places to walk in and have a few beers - at age 15! Hanging out with a much older crowd, sneaking into Rascals thinking you're hot shit at age 16 - only to find one of your female classmates all whored-out hanging all over a group of 20-somethings. A group of 17 year olds going into the Ramada Inn, and telling the 90 year old waiter that we're all medical students in our 20's but don't have ID - and getting served. Having some guys tell you that it's easy to get served at this bar called That Place on Bleeker St. Walking in ahead of three friends and then turn around saying "Hey, I think this is a gay..." Except your friends are long gone. Three guys in their junior year of high school dusting off their one cheap suit and crashing the Saturday evening wedding at the Yahnundasis, then stealing a golf cart, driving through the Sangertown parking lot drunk, getting chased by the NH police - and getting away.
If that got old, we could always drive to the STP in Trenton where three things were guaranteed to happen. First, you're definitely getting served if you're over the age of 12. Second, because you have a clean shirt and all your teeth, some trailer park cougar is going to be all over you. Third, when her husband rolls up in his rusty old pickup, after getting a call from the bartender about his wife, you're either going to run out the back door and hide in a field or take the beating of your life.
Man, this is taking me back...
ufa 1982

Cortland, NY

#162 Jul 29, 2011
old drunk wrote:
wrong number, Arcuri's before it was laseks, who had his first bar by the old Star bakery, Little Louies, Par 5 for all u underage drinkers, the night owl, golden gloves, nick and ricks, the varick, the shoe inn, the wharehouse, 7 dwarfs, happy hobo, garfields where otb is now on bleeker st., hes not here, the m&o, happy days, the tipperary, prime time for all who grew up in east utica, the brinkerhoff, lions den, ginos on james when it was next to zalatans, the willowvale hotel, the du trip inn, aprils, the leather bottle(now the casa too mucha), the thirsty camel, and the waterfront.
Let's not forget the Lobster Trap in west utica couple of buildings away from west end seafood. East utica had Jiggers-Old Pals-Modernistic all in walking distance from each other & in those days u could actually walk the streets in peace. lol
Yesterday's was the best dance place in the window.....loved it on the weekends...If u were in north utica you had the Shamrock,Lions Den & The Down Under all right across from each other....
Sweetie

Marcellus, NY

#163 Jul 30, 2011
69 Steak House was Alexader's and previously Yellow Jackets - worked at Marcy and we would go down for happy hour - how about LBJ's, PLAV, The Green Latern on Oneida Square - Who's on First where the liquor store is in NH
Sweetie

Marcellus, NY

#164 Jul 30, 2011
Yogi's Hoagies on Genesee St where your name was on the wall with a push pin and it moved every time you drank a Mobie Dick (I think that is what they were called)
Sweetie

Marcellus, NY

#165 Jul 30, 2011
OMG another one Doherty's Pub on Oneida St
Sweetie

Marcellus, NY

#166 Jul 30, 2011
Kozars

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PBA stickers in car windows 3 min Occifer 5
News Pazzo Pizza open in Sherrill (Sep '08) 11 min Arnold 6
Dave Gordon 12 min Agree 9
Holy Trinity School of the 1960s (Jan '10) 12 min Bernadette 66
add a word drop a word (Aug '10) 18 min SueNY 6,213
Whitesboro police 23 min Deer 15
Carbone Honda Contest 25 min Vince 9
Ranking Utica Prostitutes 55 min Ilion 234
Sam wessing 1 hr dee 25
Valley View 7 hr I'm pretty sure 25