Bar crawling in the 80's : the crawl
Gaffney Communications

Watertown, NY

#209 Jan 27, 2014
Stones Rock wrote:
<quoted text> Pete was a cool guy. Took a bit to get to know him and he had a dry sense of humor, but all in all, he was cool.
Didn't he own Gaffney Communications, also? Are you related to the Tuttles that lived on upper Waverly Pl?
meghan61

Ithaca, NY

#211 Jan 29, 2014
Last Word wrote:
Yes, between spilka's and dick smith's. same side, naturally, bosserts took up the other side. There was a bar on that corner, drank beer there.
The homestead when I was young
nd alum

Raleigh, NC

#212 Jan 29, 2014
driving me crazy wrote:
trying to think of a bar in marcy southwest corner of old river road and barnes ave before it was the thirsty camel burned down
The rockaway burned down about 3 in the morning on Christmas day
mike

Raleigh, NC

#213 Jan 29, 2014
the shamrock was the best
Near Spilkas

Sherburne, NY

#214 Jan 29, 2014
It was called the Tipperary.
rampage

Rome, NY

#215 Jan 30, 2014
New paris and anchor inn west utica
Dick Joose

Erie, PA

#218 Jan 1, 2015
I was stationed at Griffiss AFB in the mid-80's. I remember Triffs, JJs, Lights Out, Club Mystique, Scarletts, The Raddisson in Utica, Lilly Langtrees, Swingers, Yesterdays, Suburban Park in Syracuse ( got lucky every time I went there!). It was a great time back then. People danced and had fun. Like someone said in an early post...never to return again!
Dance fever

Utica, NY

#219 Mar 9, 2015
The Sting on Tuesday's .
Bob

Utica, NY

#220 Mar 9, 2015
jesse j wrote:
The red.robin near.the brewery. Great dive. Free popcorn
The Red Robin was the bomb. I used to love that place many stories lol.
Daw

Utica, NY

#222 Jul 21, 2016
Restless Native wrote:
In the late 70s Elvis Costello and Eddie Money both played at Four Acres on Rt 49 in Marcy.
The outdoor bar near Killabrews was really part of Who's On First, which was where the photography shop is now.
Now, what was the bar in North Utica, on North Genesee at the intersection with Auert Ave. Building was torn down in favor of the ramp onto 790.
What was the name of the joint that was there either just before or after Who's On First? I think it had an Asian/Oriental theme going on
Curious

Utica, NY

#223 Jul 21, 2016
CLEVELAND ROCKS wrote:
The Sunset Restaurant when Walter and Edna operated their establishment, brought back alot of good memories. Home of the "longest bar" in Utica, and that 21' shuffleboard, this former butcher served up the best ham sandwiches right up to closing, without any hesitations. Try and get that from a tavern these days. Good luck Earl!
Great pool table too! Had a lot of good matches there
Curious

Utica, NY

#224 Jul 21, 2016
also wrote:
the lounge at Howard Johnsons, then inside to eat late night breakfast, while tormenting the poor waitresses..
Strange place but hooked up once
The Old Man

Utica, NY

#225 Jul 21, 2016
Anybody remember Starship Utica? I think it was another bar later used to play old 3 stooges non stop
Tito

Clinton, NY

#226 Jul 23, 2016
great times wrote:
<quoted text>

You're talking about Mr.Joe's in South Utica, which later became Lucifer's which was still owned by Tony & Rock. The Inferno was a strip bar in downtown utica.

by the way, does anyone rememer where the Hacienda was located?
Do you remember when the guy's car blew up at Mr Joes? We used to drink after hours there. Always the Burrstone it was a big State Police bar
Spherus7

New York, NY

#228 Apr 8, 2017
Afewmore wrote:
Johnnys Hide out, Livingstons ale house, Geno's on James. Not the one thats there now, that was Tony's spagetti house. Geno's was next to Murads old market, Bobby Evans Bartender extrordinaire. The Lions Den was the Lounge, but closed as Club New York, New York. Before Bar Una it was Rick's Place, and that would get crazy, but that was early '90's. The Prime Time ruled.
Johnny's Hideout was awesome! Can't believe such a cool place existed in Utica at the time. We were lucky.
Spherus7

New York, NY

#229 Apr 8, 2017
2005 disco on Genesee Street.
Spherus7

New York, NY

#230 Apr 8, 2017
Does anyone remember The Electric Scene? The closest thing to "Max's Kansas City of Utica".
Spherus7

New York, NY

#231 Apr 8, 2017
And of course the legendary Midnight Mary's! What a crazy place that was. Lol
Spherus7

New York, NY

#232 Apr 8, 2017
The Old Man wrote:
Anybody remember Starship Utica? I think it was another bar later used to play old 3 stooges non stop
Starship Utica was pretty amazing for it's time. I think it became Johnny's Hideaway after as the punk and new wave scene started to hit the Utica area. Johnny's was the "CBGB's of Utica". Maybe a bit of a stretch...but the closest thing to it. Lol
Segal

Rome, NY

#233 Jul 18, 2017
Durante's on Whitesboro St. across from the firehouse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mikes pizza. South utica 6 min Rave review 23
Damir Bajrektarevic 11 min Rose 4
Shooting is a Mental Health issue! 14 min Tommy Gunn 15
Nicole Mazza 14 min RIzzuti 1
Cashiers should be wearing latex gloves 38 min Warning 1
Who is mike tesak (Nov '13) 57 min Porm hub 8
Erin Hamlin selling DIY NANO kits 1 hr Hamlin 1
Spartan Dilemma 4 hr Dr Phil 52
Best head in Utica?!? 5 hr TOP 41
Remington Arms Thanks 7 hr Big Steve 39