james beard

Utica, NY

#61 Jun 10, 2013
sticks35 wrote:
The chuck wagon.. And as a kid I remember the original mcdonalds when it was next door to the old robert hall store. Woolworths and grants both had lunch counters.
Actually, it was across the road from Robt Hall.
East Utica Native

Utica, NY

#62 Jun 10, 2013
For a great steak it was "Big Al's" on Commercial Drive........and on Seneca Turnpike it was tough to beat any of the food at Karat's. Those were the great days of local restaurants........sad days when they both went out of business. The owners and waitresses were tops in both places too.
Blue Plate

Utica, NY

#63 Jun 11, 2013
Goetz's Diner. It was where Symeon's is today. They had a nice menu and the food was very good.
Nice people ran it.
Fat Tony Salerno

Rochester, NY

#64 Jun 11, 2013
The Busy Corner used to serve good food at a fair price.
PapaPaul

Rome, NY

#65 Oct 19, 2013
I remember "Smiley's Diner" on North Genesee St. when I was a kid about 1950, it was later Moved up on South St. Utica, NY.
Anonymous

Utica, NY

#66 Oct 19, 2013
We remember in early 2013 the pretentious, overpriced restaurant, owned by elitist, bourgeois out of towners known as the Tailor & the Cook at Bagg's Square; 94 Genesee Street successfully fighting a proposed food pantry on their block that would have served needy American Military Veterans the majority or whom are poor and a significant number being African American BECAUSE the young, arrogant, imprudent, somewhat affluent intolerant owners of this restaurant were afraid that the poor and scruffy, dark skinned and potentially shell shocked veterans frequented their block might scare off their pampered upper middle class northern European clientele.

SO we urge all United States Military Veterans, their families, their friends, and all those who wish them well to spread the word: Boycott this outrageously MEAN restaurant!...unless, of course you are Taliban.
13501 Guy

Utica, NY

#67 Oct 19, 2013
The Goody Shop on Bleecker in East Utica.

Rock Martucci opened up in the morning; Joe Spina closed up early evening... Great Days... juke box controlled from the booths - toys for sale displayed in the window - newspapers piled high on the big cigar case counter - awesome place! served tons of breakfasts and lunches from the 40s to the early 80s... never thought those days would end!!!!!
Linda

Fayetteville, NY

#68 Nov 29, 2013
How about Verni s restaurant then The Coach House Diner. Definitely Uncle Henry s!!!!!!
Southern Living

Smithfield, NC

#69 Nov 29, 2013
I can remember the Uptown Grill in South Utica and the Lunch Box in Whitesboro on the Boulevard. Good Friday Fish Fry in both of these places. However, nothing beats Genes Beans, or was it Jeans Beans, for a Friday Fish Fry. There was a Diner across from the Court House does anyone remember the name??
sue

Syracuse, NY

#70 Nov 29, 2013
Dellers on Schuyler st , Albericos coffee shop on Whitesboro st , Berlin Grill on Erie st
Bank Placer

Enfield, CT

#71 Nov 29, 2013
Union Sandwich Shop with Tony Trapasso has good memories
colin chesterfield

Charlotte, NC

#72 Mar 28, 2014
james beard wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it was across the road from Robt Hall.
That was Carvel next to Robert Hall. It was owned and run by Henry Kohlmeyer. My buddies and I would stop on our way to anywhere and get a "free sample" from Henry once in a while. The first MacDonalds was built across the "truck route" from where it is now next to the Yorkville Bowling Alley. No tables just a walk up counter in an enclosed porch kind of area. Then there was King Cole on Genesee St later moving to where Kinney's now is in the Whitestown Shopping Center.
rustyshackleford

Maryville, TN

#73 Mar 28, 2014
what was that place in the early 80's, after hours(after 2 a.m.) steak and eggs and greens, one guy was there all the time played elvis on the jukebox and sang along, elvis style
mom knows

Utica, NY

#74 Mar 29, 2014
was that Rosie's
possibly

Utica, NY

#75 Mar 29, 2014
rustyshackleford wrote:
what was that place in the early 80's, after hours(after 2 a.m.) steak and eggs and greens, one guy was there all the time played elvis on the jukebox and sang along, elvis style
Lillian's afterhours??
old timer

Selkirk, NY

#76 Jul 14, 2014
Also chipewa (sp) on pearl st as well as charlie parkers and the specialty shop. Also gladwins on Lafayette
Whitesboroguy

Syracuse, NY

#77 Jul 21, 2014
I remember when i was a kid back in the 60's sitting back in the kitchen at nofris with mama nofri and watching geno make pizza. Loved that place......great people.
Mikev b

Utica, NY

#78 Jul 21, 2014
Julians is correct but it was the corner of noyes and Lincoln, was great food
GoodTimes

Utica, NY

#79 Jul 21, 2014
Mikev b wrote:
What a great thread! Thanks for the memories!
jeannettes

Utica, NY

#80 Jul 21, 2014
Mikev b wrote:
wasnt that Jeannettes diner? She had a great fish fry. Is it open?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Happy Kwanzaa ! 7 min Dr Maulana Karenga 2
new rescue mission in Hartford 42 min Seriously 3
Time Warner 1 hr My opinion 13
ND Warmack suspended for grades but....... 2 hr OnlyatND 1
wktv 2 hr pee u 6
Utica Common Council 2 hr UncommonCouncil 1
Competent Leadership Lacking for Area to Succeed 2 hr Mudmen 23
Parole Officer Incident at Denny's 5 hr Big Hipped Utican 421
Serious car accident in Utica 5 hr Big Hipped Utican 40

Flood Warning for Oneida County was issued at December 25 at 10:23PM EST

Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:57 am PST

NFL 7:57AM
Geno Smith: I see myself as Jets' QB for a long time
NBC Sports 8:18 AM
Geno Smith: I'm part of the problem, I want to be part of the solution
Bleacher Report 4:00 PM
Beckham Definition of Special Talent
Bleacher Report 5:30 PM
Philadelphia Eagles vs. New York Giants: Complete Week 17 Preview for New York
Bleacher Report 7:03 PM
2014 NFL Draft Picks Who Already Look Like Home Runs
Bleacher Report 9:41 PM
Breaking Down Eagles' Game Plan vs. Giants
Bleacher Report10:49 PM
Jets vs. Dolphins: What Are Experts Saying About New York?
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Buffalo Bills vs. New England Patriots: Complete Week 17 Preview for New England
Bleacher Report 5:04 AM
New York Jets vs. Miami Dolphins: Complete Week 17 Preview for Miami
NBC Sports 5:09 AM
Friday morning one-liners