Commissioner King right on
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wonder

Utica, NY

#21 Oct 10, 2013
That is the problem. Why should people have to be stuck in a sub standard school. If NY spends 10 k per kid give the parent the 10 K and let them choose what is the best. I am sure the unions would love that.
Bob

Utica, NY

#22 Oct 10, 2013
wonder wrote:
That is the problem. Why should people have to be stuck in a sub standard school. If NY spends 10 k per kid give the parent the 10 K and let them choose what is the best. I am sure the unions would love that.
You are "stuck" because you didn't do your homework or are too lazy to work now. Quit whining and get a real job so you can live in the school district of your choice and not piss and moan about successful people who do.
anon

Utica, NY

#23 Oct 10, 2013
wonder wrote:
Teachers are not against charter schools because of unions...we simply see them for the scam that they are. 85% of charter schools close within five years of opening. Why throw money from public schools and drain resources for something that is not going to last? It has NOTHING to do with unions. I'm a teacher and a parent...99% of teachers wouldn't send their children to charter schools.
wonder

Utica, NY

#24 Oct 10, 2013
85% of inner-city kids at 18 either will drop out , in jail or dead. It is a wasted generation , doing nothing is iresponsible
Curious

Hartford, CT

#25 Oct 11, 2013
wonder wrote:
85% of inner-city kids at 18 either will drop out , in jail or dead. It is a wasted generation , doing nothing is iresponsible
you must stop blaming these drop out rates on the teachers and unions. It's our society and the low life's that drain it. Until you can find a way to make parents be parents and stop this group of people from living on social services and bring a sense of pride to them the graduation rate will remain low. Teachers and unions have nothing to do with it.
wonder

Utica, NY

#26 Oct 11, 2013
It must be 45 independent states have all implemented this. It is hard to get 45 states to agree on much.
Curious

Bloomfield, CT

#27 Oct 11, 2013
Because money for all accepting districts is attached. New York State has cut so much money from schools that they will try anything whether its good or bad just to get the money. The kids suffer. This common core crap was not tested before being forced on schools.
Truth

Moravia, NY

#28 Oct 12, 2013
Hope you are happy now King has cancelled the rest of the state town halls since teachers hogged all the time and were disruptive. This was suppose to be a informative session with people asking questions. Instead it turned into a teachers bitch session. Teachers act your age the meeting in Whitesboro was a disgrace. Apparently teachers do not want discustions the rather protest.
wonder

Moravia, NY

#29 Oct 12, 2013
Teachers who yell the most drown out difference of option. Good job teachers if you do not like something disrupt the forum so no one can hear anything else.
anon

Utica, NY

#30 Oct 12, 2013
Truth wrote:
Hope you are happy now King has cancelled the rest of the state town halls since teachers hogged all the time and were disruptive. This was suppose to be a informative session with people asking questions. Instead it turned into a teachers bitch session. Teachers act your age the meeting in Whitesboro was a disgrace. Apparently teachers do not want discustions the rather protest.
That was parents, not teachers. Were you there?
Rome Proud

Utica, NY

#31 Oct 12, 2013
Truth wrote:
All of the teachers who spoke were from Rome and Camden. Nice performance.
Darryl

Utica, NY

#32 Oct 12, 2013
wonder wrote:
Teachers who yell the most drown out difference of option. Good job teachers if you do not like something disrupt the forum so no one can hear anything else.
NYSUT talking points under the guise of being a parent.
wonder

Moravia, NY

#33 Oct 12, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>That was parents, not teachers. Were you there?
It was 80 % teachers I was there I was embarised Especially the teacher that said I accept your resignation. Those who have the biggest mouth do not win the argument.
Truth

Moravia, NY

#34 Oct 13, 2013
I loved the kid who got up and said he was worried about his teacher being fired. What a joke 2 points- name a teacher who has ever been fired for incompetence. 2nd I am sure this kid was lectured by his teacher about this every day. Teachers who pimp their kids out to carry their water are the bottom of the barrel. I love dissent I think it is healthy , picket signs outside I am all for , doing this inside a speaking venue is not. I do not agree with 50% of the politicians like most people , but inside listening to them, people should be respected. I am not a big Hilary fan but I would never try and shout her down at Hamilton college inside the venue that is disgraceful. But what can we expect from these card caring union tenure teachers. Teachers that act like children just show they never have left the classroom as a little kid. Grow up.
wonder

Moravia, NY

#35 Oct 13, 2013
Wonder how many teachers shout down their students ideas and views. If a kid disagrees with them do they shut it down.
The scale

Baltimore, MD

#36 Oct 13, 2013
I don't think there is one magic bullet . But our educational system has deteriorated to the point where are children won't be able to compete in a global economy and compete with students from other countries wanting to come here for a better life. We take our educational system for granted. Not just the students , who don't know how lucky they are, but the system from top to bottom.

Teachers do have to be graded. The good should be nurtured thru the system and the bad fired. I don't know what the answer is, but I think cameras in the class room are a start. I think that by watching what happens in the classroom will allow administration to see what good teachers are doing and share it with teachers who aren't doing so well.

Administrators who negotiate union contracts shouldn't be ex teachers for the simple fact that they consistently show bias towards teachers in the contracts.

Are some teachers underpaid? Yes, but there are more teachers that are overpaid, and tenure should be eliminated . That money and tier scale benefits should be awarded to teachers that teach well not who's been in the system the longest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
George's on James St 6 min Hungry 1
Cosmos in Clinton 9 min Client 6
WELSH IS ONLY CHOICE FOR COUNTY LEGISLATOR IN 1... 39 min Real South Utican 13
Should I list home with a realtor or sell myself? 40 min Tin Rooster 1
WKTV morning weather 1 hr wanna be teacher 5
Name a business that's not around anymore. (Oct '13) 2 hr Charles Hayes 225
Can we get a White Castle up here? (Jul '09) 2 hr Charles Hayes 24
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE