OD Website a Disgrace

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Brenda Starr

Gouverneur, NY

#1 Jul 16, 2013
I cannot believe what a royal PITA it is to try to read the OD website. Pop ups, jumping messages, annoying ads. I go there and check the headlines and obits and get off as quickly as I can. The entire experiance is aggravating and unpleasant. You'd think they would make it as user friendly as possible so people would stay for a while and see the ads etc. Then again, they've totally ruined the print version of the paper, so I shouldn't be surprised. Anyone who wants to see how a website SHOULD NOT be set up can go there to see what not to do when building a site.
great Caesars ghost

Utica, NY

#2 Jul 16, 2013
go to YNN or WKTV or WIBX sites. The OD has become irrelevant. They even bagged the comments section unless you post from facebook or twatter.
News Junkie

Gouverneur, NY

#3 Jul 16, 2013
great Caesars ghost wrote:
go to YNN or WKTV or WIBX sites. The OD has become irrelevant. They even bagged the comments section unless you post from facebook or twatter.
I do go to those sites and many many more. Sad to say, I have never landed on a website as irritating as the OD site. If there was another option for local obituaries, I would NEVER visit the OD site.
Annoyed

Ithaca, NY

#4 Jul 16, 2013
there's one pop up that takes up my whole screen, and when I move to X it out, it moves along with it, and the X disappears above the address bar... only way to stop it is to close out the window and re-open... pop ups from the side, pop ups in the middle of the page... ANNOYING...
stick fork in it

New York, NY

#5 Jul 16, 2013
Their paper sucks, circulation is losing money, they need all the popups for ad revenues. Ask former Utica OD editor George Newman, who called the demise of his own rag back in the late 1980s. He quit Utica for a sweet federal job with the US State Dept.
So True

Herkimer, NY

#6 Jul 16, 2013
Brenda Starr wrote:
I cannot believe what a royal PITA it is to try to read the OD website. Pop ups, jumping messages, annoying ads. I go there and check the headlines and obits and get off as quickly as I can. The entire experiance is aggravating and unpleasant. You'd think they would make it as user friendly as possible so people would stay for a while and see the ads etc. Then again, they've totally ruined the print version of the paper, so I shouldn't be surprised. Anyone who wants to see how a website SHOULD NOT be set up can go there to see what not to do when building a site.
Oh Brenda....so true......so true!
Da Law

New York, NY

#7 Jul 16, 2013
The OD website is actually quite nice...if you're using Firefox and install AdBlock and Ghostery. As a nice side benny they also make Topix far easier to use.
Sam

Herkimer, NY

#8 Jul 16, 2013
The OD website is an embarassment. It looks like it was created in 1995 when websites were just coming into existence. The pop-ups make me just X out the whole thing. Not worth it.
Jerkbags on parade

Herkimer, NY

#10 Jul 17, 2013
Yes, Mr. Sex Offender (quite the moniker): All news should be free. Reporters should work for nothing. Free! Free! Free! You spend more on a single Starbucks latte, than you would on a months worth of OD digital news. But you're too stupid to understand that. It's on the web, so it should be delivered unto you for free (just like everything you read on WikiPedia is true. FACT!). You deserve it! Everything should be FREE! After all, you work for free. Right? A-hole.
ODisgrace

Hialeah, FL

#11 Jul 17, 2013
If it was actual news it wold have made visiting worth it but it's bake sales and boilergasm. That place can't go out of business and put donna dooshe out of a job fast enough. Don't even click on that cheerleader bullshit. They support and advocate the prison economy, EDGE, schumer, griffo and brindisi. It's apennysave rg.
Counterproductiv e

Gouverneur, NY

#12 Jul 17, 2013
stick fork in it wrote:
Their paper sucks, circulation is losing money, they need all the popups for ad revenues. Ask former Utica OD editor George Newman, who called the demise of his own rag back in the late 1980s. He quit Utica for a sweet federal job with the US State Dept.
Common sense should tell them that ads should attract viewers not drive them away. OD, back to the drawing board, PLEASE!
Not Buying It

Gouverneur, NY

#13 Jul 17, 2013
Jerkbags on parade wrote:
Yes, Mr. Sex Offender (quite the moniker): All news should be free. Reporters should work for nothing. Free! Free! Free! You spend more on a single Starbucks latte, than you would on a months worth of OD digital news. But you're too stupid to understand that. It's on the web, so it should be delivered unto you for free (just like everything you read on WikiPedia is true. FACT!). You deserve it! Everything should be FREE! After all, you work for free. Right? A-hole.
With all the ads, they ought to pay ME to use the site.
Mon

East Hartford, CT

#14 Jul 17, 2013
Maybe Monica can make it a glowing success.
Claudia Kindle

New York, NY

#15 Jul 17, 2013
If Donna Donovan really needs to keep churning out the Utica OD for the ad revenue, why not let Claudia Tenney churn it out with the Pennysaver down in Chenango County? The publishing business' dirty little secret is that it is all about distribution, and not really about good content. Same for booksellers.(Can you say Kindle?) Soon these podunk newspapers will go the way of the dodo bird, and all you'll have left is digital distribution hosted on servers and idiots who pay for poor quality content---they aren't paying for distribution of the Utica OD. It's the future business model and reality.
Incredible

Herkimer, NY

#16 Jul 17, 2013
I am not surprised that more people are fed up with the OD website. It looks like it was designed by children. The OD hired a new circulation director over a month ago. His name still doesn't appear as a person to contact. Is the website current? NO!

The OD even had contests running earlier this year that had expired 6 to 9 months ago that were still on their website. How's that for proper website maintenance? The wonder why their paper is failing as well as their website. The answer is DONNA DONOVAN. Hey, she gets her fat paycheck while employees have NOT had a pay raise of any kind in 5 years.

Advertisers! Beware! Your money would be better spent elsewhere.
ron

Utica, NY

#17 Jul 17, 2013
Thank God someone said something. I think it is THE WORST Web site I have ever seen.
Whiz

Agawam, MA

#18 Jul 17, 2013
Brenda Starr wrote:
You are so right. I stopped using it. I had canceled my delivery and used the site for a while, but it's bad and most of the time the news is old news.
Bbo

Forest Hills, NY

#19 Jul 17, 2013
Agree with the posts here.....the site has issues. Thanks WKTV and YNN for providing alternatives!
Joe Dee

Utica, NY

#20 Jul 17, 2013
Why would anyone want to read the Observer Dispatch Read the New York Post, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times and many other newspapers for free. All of them worth reading. Thank you for the internet.
Observer Disrace

Ithaca, NY

#21 Jul 18, 2013
Couldn't agree more. I used to frequently go there, but now it's a worthless waste of time. You can't click through ANYTHING without being inundated with pop up and ads. I tries to simply read some editorials and couldn't get past the pop up which kept closing the page when I tried to click them off. I'm no longer bothering with the site at all. If the intention was to drive your traffic completely away, then bravo OD, you have succeeded!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Utica should EMBRACE its prison - welfare economy! 2 min Oh Well 20
Need a good Divorce Lawyer in New Hartford? 18 min Alimony 119
Who funds Mohawk valley EDGE 20 min School 4cny retards 9
Let's tear down Martin Luther King's statue 21 min Racist Utica Trash 121
OD's Liz Cooper's $45B with a BULLSHlT 'B' Nan... 30 min Lies 9
Talk of the town/Trump hating 31 min hmm 4
Who is funding the Aud renovations? 31 min The taxpayers are 534
No Downtown hospital 1 hr SOI 146
Not All Nazis Are Bad 1 hr julis braun 79

Utica Jobs