Can you make a living selling automob...

Can you make a living selling automobiles ?

Posted in the Utica Forum

Unemployed

Jamesville, NY

#1 Jan 7, 2010
I am recently unemployeed. And am wondering if anybody knows first hand, if you can make a living? Does anybody know how the commission thing works ?
Harry Houghton III

East Syracuse, NY

#2 Jan 7, 2010
If you’re an honest man no. If you’re a conman yes.
Friend to all

Utica, NY

#3 Jan 7, 2010
Unemployed wrote:
I am recently unemployeed. And am wondering if anybody knows first hand, if you can make a living? Does anybody know how the commission thing works ?
Don't listen to the jerks on Topix. I spent 30 years training salespeople to be honest and to earn an excellent living. The reputation of the dealership you chose is key. If they are honest they will not tolerate any crazy stuff. You can truthfully earn 30-40k in your first year or two and then upwards of that. Some in this area reach six figures. Some locals I would recommend would be Rich Artigiani, GM at Nye in Oneida and Jack Capponi, GM at Rome Ford. good luck
Don Ready

Syracuse, NY

#4 Jan 7, 2010
Unemployed wrote:
I am recently unemployeed. And am wondering if anybody knows first hand, if you can make a living? Does anybody know how the commission thing works ?
Rent this...

http://www.livehardsellhard.com/

It's how it is.
Just a thought

New York, NY

#5 Jan 8, 2010
Unemployed wrote:
I am recently unemployeed. And am wondering if anybody knows first hand, if you can make a living? Does anybody know how the commission thing works ?
You won't make a living if you act like Chris Jones at United Used Cars.
He spends the whole day admiring himself in the mirror.
Chris needs to understand what a customer is.
Do the opposite of Chris Jones and you'll be O.K.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#6 Jan 8, 2010
Unemployed wrote:
I am recently unemployeed. And am wondering if anybody knows first hand, if you can make a living? Does anybody know how the commission thing works ?
Years ago you could make a living selling cars, I did it for over 20 years, now with the economy and high unemployment its not too east,, let me explain the pay plan,, all dealers offer a small salary from $100-$160 per week, along with this they give you an equal draw amount,, a draw is no more than a loan, you have to pay it back at the end of the month, so it goes like this,, one place I worked at not too long ago gave a $100 per week salary and $150 draw,, thats a total of 250 per week before taxes, so you end up taking home about 180 after taxes. every new car you sell is a $100 flat, so you have to sell 6 new cars just to make your draw,, you can make more money on selling used cars, because people dont know what the dealer paid for them,, their is no invoice like on a new car. A salesman today has to sell between 15-20 cars every month to make a decent living,, and that aint easy right now,, and if you dont produce, the dealer fires you after about 2 months,, they dont offer any demos or insurance anymore either like they used to,, and they want you there everyday for 11-12 hours, and saturdays also,, you may get a scheduled day off, but if you are not producing they take that away from you,, and it really is a dishonest business, people get screwed everyday buying cars, so if you are an honest type of person,, you may want to consider something else.

Level 1

Since: Jan 10

Dong Tam, VN

#7 Jan 8, 2010
Friend to all wrote:
<quoted text>Don't listen to the jerks on Topix. I spent 30 years training salespeople to be honest and to earn an excellent living. The reputation of the dealership you chose is key. If they are honest they will not tolerate any crazy stuff. You can truthfully earn 30-40k in your first year or two and then upwards of that. Some in this area reach six figures. Some locals I would recommend would be Rich Artigiani, GM at Nye in Oneida and Jack Capponi, GM at Rome Ford. good luck
Stay away from Rome Ford......It's a Carbone dealership

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#8 Jan 8, 2010
Friend to all wrote:
<quoted text>Don't listen to the jerks on Topix. I spent 30 years training salespeople to be honest and to earn an excellent living. The reputation of the dealership you chose is key. If they are honest they will not tolerate any crazy stuff. You can truthfully earn 30-40k in your first year or two and then upwards of that. Some in this area reach six figures. Some locals I would recommend would be Rich Artigiani, GM at Nye in Oneida and Jack Capponi, GM at Rome Ford. good luck
Do you know what the numbers are at NYE and at Rome Ford?? Nye ford used to have 13-14 salesman, they run that big place with about 4-5 now, the sales numbers are dismal to say the least,, tell the truth,, if you dont have a large customer base and are new at it and have to depend on lot ups, its not easy,, you are talking about years ago, when it was a good business and a man could make a good living,, that was then,, this is now,, check with Nick at rome ford,,and see how they are doing,, Nye goes through salesman and F&I people like water, and as far as being honest goes,,you and I having the experience we do,, know that is a very grey area!
Friend to all

Utica, NY

#9 Jan 8, 2010
llib wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know what the numbers are at NYE and at Rome Ford?? Nye ford used to have 13-14 salesman, they run that big place with about 4-5 now, the sales numbers are dismal to say the least,, tell the truth,, if you dont have a large customer base and are new at it and have to depend on lot ups, its not easy,, you are talking about years ago, when it was a good business and a man could make a good living,, that was then,, this is now,, check with Nick at rome ford,,and see how they are doing,, Nye goes through salesman and F&I people like water, and as far as being honest goes,,you and I having the experience we do,, know that is a very grey area!
Partially true, Or lets say I agree with some of your comments however, If a dealership ran a few years ago with 12 salespeople and now have 4-5 I would be I could make a very good living on their former customers that nobody is following up on now. There are probably hundreds of customers driving older cars that were former customers of the dealership that will soon need a new or pre=loved vehicle. If you are hungry enough you can make some money. Rome Ford is doing much better than they did with the previous owner and some salespeople are making a living. they don't set the world on fire and Nye does better than Carbone ford largely because of Rich Artigiani. Ask John Fero or some of the veterans at Don's Ford how they did last year if you know them some make 75k or close to it.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#10 Jan 8, 2010
Friend to all wrote:
<quoted text>Partially true, Or lets say I agree with some of your comments however, If a dealership ran a few years ago with 12 salespeople and now have 4-5 I would be I could make a very good living on their former customers that nobody is following up on now. There are probably hundreds of customers driving older cars that were former customers of the dealership that will soon need a new or pre=loved vehicle. If you are hungry enough you can make some money. Rome Ford is doing much better than they did with the previous owner and some salespeople are making a living. they don't set the world on fire and Nye does better than Carbone ford largely because of Rich Artigiani. Ask John Fero or some of the veterans at Don's Ford how they did last year if you know them some make 75k or close to it.
well it certainly all sounds good in theory, but I know all of these people you mention quite personally, and maybe if you are real hungry you might be able to make a decent living, but without that strong customer base it is extremely difficult right now, I worked at a small dealership in the area, which just lost their franchise, and they had this system which fed incoming leads to the salesman to work with, and to try and make appointments and follow up etc, it was pretty effective, but still it was really hard to put a lot of deals together,even with orphan owners, Now I know a very successful salesman at another store, he works with about 9 other salesman who depend on ups, he came from another store and he was there for a long time, he has a tremendous customer base and following, and this guys puts out 15-20 cars a month,, but it takes a good 5-6 years to develop a real good base,, when I first started over 20 years ago, there was always plenty of customers out on the lot, and being green some months I sold 12-15 cars, just by going out on the lot and greeting people, some saturdays we would put 25 cars on the board,, those were some good years in auto sales, I dont know if we will ever see those days again,, it used to be a real fun business,, I miss it,, thanks for your comments!
Friend to all

Utica, NY

#11 Jan 9, 2010
llib wrote:
<quoted text>well it certainly all sounds good in theory, but I know all of these people you mention quite personally, and maybe if you are real hungry you might be able to make a decent living, but without that strong customer base it is extremely difficult right now, I worked at a small dealership in the area, which just lost their franchise, and they had this system which fed incoming leads to the salesman to work with, and to try and make appointments and follow up etc, it was pretty effective, but still it was really hard to put a lot of deals together,even with orphan owners, Now I know a very successful salesman at another store, he works with about 9 other salesman who depend on ups, he came from another store and he was there for a long time, he has a tremendous customer base and following, and this guys puts out 15-20 cars a month,, but it takes a good 5-6 years to develop a real good base,, when I first started over 20 years ago, there was always plenty of customers out on the lot, and being green some months I sold 12-15 cars, just by going out on the lot and greeting people, some saturdays we would put 25 cars on the board,, those were some good years in auto sales, I dont know if we will ever see those days again,, it used to be a real fun business,, I miss it,, thanks for your comments!
Your right, those were good days. I was not a car salesperson but worked in the industry since 1971 selling to new car dealers and then evolved into teaching and other things, If I told you my name you would know who I am, I dealt with every dealer in this area as well as the entire northeast. Hope you are doing well, good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Demolition part of building ? 7 min All seeing nothing 16
News Manny's Cheesecake To Open Brand New Bakery Loc... 16 min well 2
trump is IN CONTROL HEAR 53 min Two Term Trump 24
Another Hillary Exuse 54 min MAGA 17
Congresswoman Tenney 1 hr No Term Hillary 27
Joe Griffo's donors, DuRoss and Oneidas 1 hr Bob Barker 50
Cuomo pitching statewide platic bag ban. 1 hr NY The Vampire State 16
Golf in Upstate NY 3 hr Maurey 35
Maryrose Rubin 3 hr Not a big fan of ... 16
Dr. Costello unnecessary cruelty 5 hr Reader 8
Alex Carbone dating Savannah Lei 6 hr meh 35

Utica Jobs

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages