Welfare hockey

Bronx, NY

#44 May 15, 2014
Amazing they can't afford their own bills but expect people to keep wasting money on that garbage? Then they run around telling everyone they are "successful!!!"
That's about a leech phony for yas.

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#46 May 16, 2014
comets fan wrote:
<quoted text>. Why would anyone with half a brain put money into a public building that they do not own????? If that is the case then I hope you pay for renovations to the times union center when it needs updating..... You argument is beyond stupid.... That would be like some kid out of college renting an apartment and renovating it themselves........ Common sense but then again, you have none!!!!!! Obviously sof some reason basic business principals seem to escape you closed minded thinking....
Without that grant money their "business" wouldn't exist. I'd like to own a car dealership someday. Maybe the state will grant me the 10 million or so it costs to build a facility or at least grant me the same 2.5 million so I can update an existing facility so I can have a "successful" business?

Since: May 14

Ilion

#47 May 16, 2014
Utica Lies and Riggies wrote:
<quoted text>Without that grant money their "business" wouldn't exist. I'd like to own a car dealership someday. Maybe the state will grant me the 10 million or so it costs to build a facility or at least grant me the same 2.5 million so I can update an existing facility so I can have a "successful" business?
Rigs, if that money was available to you to do what you suggest above, would you apply for it or take the high road and reach into your deep pockets?

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#48 May 16, 2014
Gaggy wrote:
<quoted text>
Rigs, if that money was available to you to do what you suggest above, would you apply for it or take the high road and reach into your deep pockets?
The money is not available to me and shouldn't be. What esche and Duross did is claim improvements to a "multi purpose facility" that would benefit the area year round. All they did is filter that money through their friends and families hands and improve the building only for their ahl business. The schedule of upcoming events is proof positive. Esche and Duross are in control of the building and the building will essentially sit empty all summer.

Think of it this way. Take away the ahl team. Remove it from the equation. Esche and Duross now control the aud. They just received 2.5 million dollars for improvements and the building is now empty for the next five months. Great management team.
Truth

Utica, NY

#49 May 16, 2014
These weren't grants. They didn't apply for them. This was $7.5 million in taxpayer money that was given by state an county officials in order to get Eshe and DuRoss' plan off the ground. The AUD as it existed before didn't meet AHL standards and needed to in order to be considered for an AHL franchise.

What this was exactly was a plan formulated by a few well connected people designed to enrich themselves using seed money provided by taxpayers. That is what is happening right now. Politicians including Picente, Griffo and Brindisi were more than happy to kick in. These were earmarks, not grants.
uc comets fan

Holland Patent, NY

#50 May 16, 2014
Utica Lies and Riggies wrote:
<quoted text>
The money is not available to me and shouldn't be. What esche and Duross did is claim improvements to a "multi purpose facility" that would benefit the area year round. All they did is filter that money through their friends and families hands and improve the building only for their ahl business. The schedule of upcoming events is proof positive. Esche and Duross are in control of the building and the building will essentially sit empty all summer.
Think of it this way. Take away the ahl team. Remove it from the equation. Esche and Duross now control the aud. They just received 2.5 million dollars for improvements and the building is now empty for the next five months. Great management team.
i think that one has alredy been covered....... if they were planning major renovations this summer, they would not have booked events. these things are booked a year ahead of time, what do you think they call up today and book a concert for next weekend???? COMMON SENSE..........

Since: May 14

Ilion

#51 May 16, 2014
Truth wrote:
These weren't grants. They didn't apply for them. This was $7.5 million in taxpayer money that was given by state an county officials in order to get Eshe and DuRoss' plan off the ground. The AUD as it existed before didn't meet AHL standards and needed to in order to be considered for an AHL franchise.

What this was exactly was a plan formulated by a few well connected people designed to enrich themselves using seed money provided by taxpayers. That is what is happening right now. Politicians including Picente, Griffo and Brindisi were more than happy to kick in. These were earmarks, not grants.
If that is the case then there must be a paper trail to follow the money. If these people are lining their pockets they should suffer the consequences. Maybe the folks who earmarked the 'investment' should be screaming. I don't hear them

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#52 May 16, 2014
uc comets fan wrote:
<quoted text> i think that one has alredy been covered....... if they were planning major renovations this summer, they would not have booked events. these things are booked a year ahead of time, what do you think they call up today and book a concert for next weekend???? COMMON SENSE..........
Yeah keep chirping up the wrong tree. There are no future improvements to the aud. Zero. Every single improvement dollar went towards esche's and Duross' business.

And just so you know the lead time for a concert is about three months not a year. Try again. The aud has zilch scheduled.
Truth

Utica, NY

#53 May 16, 2014
Gaggy wrote:
<quoted text>
If that is the case then there must be a paper trail to follow the money. If these people are lining their pockets they should suffer the consequences. Maybe the folks who earmarked the 'investment' should be screaming. I don't hear them
You are confusing a few things.

They are enriching themselves because they now have control of the AUD. The Auditorium Authority(Oneida County) ceded that to them. The AUD would not be generating that revenue for them if it were not for the infusion of taxpayer dollars used to make the AUD improvements. I didn't say they lined their pockets with the $7.5 million in taxpayer money. It was the $7.5 million in taxpayer money that set the table and is now allowing them to eat the dinner. Do you get that?

Think of it this way. It is the same thing as if a manufacturing business wanted to come to Utica but didn't want to risk their own money on a facility. New York State, Oneida County and the City of Utica step up and offer to build a facility(using taxpayer dollars of course) that meets the specifications of the manufacturer. It's a bribe pure and simple. This has become customary in New York. A perfect example is what is happening now and has been for years with the local "nano" craze. Untold millions of taxpayer dollars have been spent to date with the promise of tens of millions more for any company who will accept the bribe. In the meantime the press releases and public relations gimmicks like the recent jobs fair make it seem like all of those people who's jobs are paid by taxpayers are doing good for the people.

Why would the people in government who earmarked the money be screaming? They've once again successfully hoodwinked the people of the region into thinking that they've done something good.

Since: May 14

Ilion

#54 May 16, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>You are confusing a few things.

They are enriching themselves because they now have control of the AUD. The Auditorium Authority(Oneida County) ceded that to them. The AUD would not be generating that revenue for them if it were not for the infusion of taxpayer dollars used to make the AUD improvements. I didn't say they lined their pockets with the $7.5 million in taxpayer money. It was the $7.5 million in taxpayer money that set the table and is now allowing them to eat the dinner. Do you get that?

Think of it this way. It is the same thing as if a manufacturing business wanted to come to Utica but didn't want to risk their own money on a facility. New York State, Oneida County and the City of Utica step up and offer to build a facility(using taxpayer dollars of course) that meets the specifications of the manufacturer. It's a bribe pure and simple. This has become customary in New York. A perfect example is what is happening now and has been for years with the local "nano" craze. Untold millions of taxpayer dollars have been spent to date with the promise of tens of millions more for any company who will accept the bribe. In the meantime the press releases and public relations gimmicks like the recent jobs fair make it seem like all of those people who's jobs are paid by taxpayers are doing good for the people.

Why would the people in government who earmarked the money be screaming? They've once again successfully hoodwinked the people of the region into thinking that they've done something good.
While I don't have the understanding you do and think it sounds a little conspiracy theory-like, at least you make a sound argument without the ranting of some others. It takes me a while to connect the dots. Thanks and I'll stay tuned
Sgt Shultz

Washington, DC

#55 May 16, 2014
Go Comets! Only six months till the puck drops again!

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#56 May 16, 2014
It is important to note that this situation is not unique to Utica. Do you really think that Syracuse, Glens Falls, Albany and Binghamton didn’t get help from the state for their facilities? These deals go on everywhere. Hell, in Kentucky there is a movement to get state money to build a Noah’s Ark Theme Park. Millions of taxpayer dollars went into building Yankee Stadium and re-building Madison Square Gardens. Buffalo wants state money to help keep the Bills in Buffalo. These teams are all privately owned. The owners are all profiting from these state grants for the facilities they play in. Remember when the N.Y. Giants wanted to build a new stadium in N.Y.C. and the city and state would not give them what they wanted. The Giants moved to New Jersey. I don’t look at this as the state throwing us a bone, I look at this as Utica finally getting what was due us. If Eshe and DuRoss profit from this, good for them. At least it is someone local making the money and not some Down-state politician and his “friends and family”.

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#57 May 16, 2014
JusticeDefiled13501 wrote:
It is important to note that this situation is not unique to Utica. Do you really think that Syracuse, Glens Falls, Albany and Binghamton didn’t get help from the state for their facilities? These deals go on everywhere. Hell, in Kentucky there is a movement to get state money to build a Noah’s Ark Theme Park. Millions of taxpayer dollars went into building Yankee Stadium and re-building Madison Square Gardens. Buffalo wants state money to help keep the Bills in Buffalo. These teams are all privately owned. The owners are all profiting from these state grants for the facilities they play in. Remember when the N.Y. Giants wanted to build a new stadium in N.Y.C. and the city and state would not give them what they wanted. The Giants moved to New Jersey. I don’t look at this as the state throwing us a bone, I look at this as Utica finally getting what was due us. If Eshe and DuRoss profit from this, good for them. At least it is someone local making the money and not some Down-state politician and his “friends and family”.
Wheres my grant?

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#58 May 16, 2014
JusticeDefiled13501 wrote:
It is important to note that this situation is not unique to Utica. Do you really think that Syracuse, Glens Falls, Albany and Binghamton didn’t get help from the state for their facilities? These deals go on everywhere. Hell, in Kentucky there is a movement to get state money to build a Noah’s Ark Theme Park. Millions of taxpayer dollars went into building Yankee Stadium and re-building Madison Square Gardens. Buffalo wants state money to help keep the Bills in Buffalo. These teams are all privately owned. The owners are all profiting from these state grants for the facilities they play in. Remember when the N.Y. Giants wanted to build a new stadium in N.Y.C. and the city and state would not give them what they wanted. The Giants moved to New Jersey. I don’t look at this as the state throwing us a bone, I look at this as Utica finally getting what was due us. If Eshe and DuRoss profit from this, good for them. At least it is someone local making the money and not some Down-state politician and his “friends and family”.
I have a real issue of the cloak the grant was given under. Not one improvement was made to the aud that didn't benefit esche's and Duross' sole ahl business. The proof is a summertime of an empty aud under their managementt. If anything they should be fired from the control of the aud because getting events there certainly doesn't seem to be high on their summer priority list or even during the hockey season for that matter.
uc comets fan

Holland Patent, NY

#59 May 16, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confusing a few things.
They are enriching themselves because they now have control of the AUD. The Auditorium Authority(Oneida County) ceded that to them. The AUD would not be generating that revenue for them if it were not for the infusion of taxpayer dollars used to make the AUD improvements. I didn't say they lined their pockets with the $7.5 million in taxpayer money. It was the $7.5 million in taxpayer money that set the table and is now allowing them to eat the dinner. Do you get that?
Think of it this way. It is the same thing as if a manufacturing business wanted to come to Utica but didn't want to risk their own money on a facility. New York State, Oneida County and the City of Utica step up and offer to build a facility(using taxpayer dollars of course) that meets the specifications of the manufacturer. It's a bribe pure and simple. This has become customary in New York. A perfect example is what is happening now and has been for years with the local "nano" craze. Untold millions of taxpayer dollars have been spent to date with the promise of tens of millions more for any company who will accept the bribe. In the meantime the press releases and public relations gimmicks like the recent jobs fair make it seem like all of those people who's jobs are paid by taxpayers are doing good for the people.
Why would the people in government who earmarked the money be screaming? They've once again successfully hoodwinked the people of the region into thinking that they've done something good.
we haver covered this one too... your beating a dead horse.millions went into other citys arenas and baseball/football stadiums to make those owners money. its about time utica got its share, instead of binghamton and rocheseter , buffalo and ny city..... your obbsessed.... take a chill pill will you???? im sick of my tax money being spent on every others cityrs stadiums and arenas... finally someone elses tax money helps uticas building. live with it.

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#60 May 16, 2014
uc comets fan wrote:
<quoted text> we haver covered this one too... your beating a dead horse.millions went into other citys arenas and baseball/football stadiums to make those owners money. its about time utica got its share, instead of binghamton and rocheseter , buffalo and ny city..... your obbsessed.... take a chill pill will you???? im sick of my tax money being spent on every others cityrs stadiums and arenas... finally someone elses tax money helps uticas building. live with it.
And what will happen when the Canucks pull out? And please don't say they'll just get another parent team. The ahl has made it very clear the direction they are going.
Truth

Utica, NY

#64 May 16, 2014
uc comets fan wrote:
<quoted text> we haver covered this one too... your beating a dead horse.millions went into other citys arenas and baseball/football stadiums to make those owners money. its about time utica got its share, instead of binghamton and rocheseter , buffalo and ny city..... your obbsessed.... take a chill pill will you???? im sick of my tax money being spent on every others cityrs stadiums and arenas... finally someone elses tax money helps uticas building. live with it.
You make no sense.

Because other areas got taxpayer money for things they wanted makes this right? None of it is right and none of it should happen. Taxpayer money should not be doled out to the well connected few at the same time that taxes and fees are constantly increasing.
But U have Welfare Hockey

Bronx, NY

#66 May 16, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You make no sense.
Because other areas got taxpayer money for things they wanted makes this right? None of it is right and none of it should happen. Taxpayer money should not be doled out to the well connected few at the same time that taxes and fees are constantly increasing.
Logic won't work on them. Dealing with most Uticans is like trying to reason with squirrels.
utica is a dump

Albany, NY

#67 May 16, 2014
Utica Lies and Riggies wrote:
<quoted text>
And what will happen when the Canucks pull out? And please don't say they'll just get another parent team. The ahl has made it very clear the direction they are going.
ohl would be my guess... with the way the comets are run, it will be a smooth transition over. you act like the canucks leaving is the end of the world, life will go on and people will adapt. echl, usjhl, ohl chl are all options. the world will not end for utica if the canucks leave.they have a intamate building, a strong and loyal fan base and alot going for them. they have long term plans for a convetion center, and other goings on......

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#68 May 16, 2014
utica is a dump wrote:
<quoted text> ohl would be my guess... with the way the comets are run, it will be a smooth transition over. you act like the canucks leaving is the end of the world, life will go on and people will adapt. echl, usjhl, ohl chl are all options. the world will not end for utica if the canucks leave.they have a intamate building, a strong and loyal fan base and alot going for them. they have long term plans for a convetion center, and other goings on......
A convention center? Please don't start with that again. And lesser leagues don't work in itica. Just look at their history.

An ohl team is an absolutely absurd thought. You must have started happy hour early.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parole Officer Incident at Denny's 3 min Clarity 397
Serious car accident in Utica 3 min Flabby Utican 31
Leominster, MA Needs Our Help With DEGRADED RO... 4 min Flabby Utican 10
Keeler Show Notes for Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014 4 min Flabby Utican 12
###Things you will never hear in albany ### (Apr '13) 5 min Flabby Utican 260
bn MORE THEN A MILLION BABIES SEXUALLY ABUSED I... 6 min FOUR K MAC 43
stick HOUSE DEVELOPMENT QUADRUPLES IN AFRICA (Jun '14) 6 min FOUR K MAC 16
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:47 pm PST

NBC Sports12:47PM
6 Giants fined by NFL for actions in Rams game - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:19 PM
Jackson seeks to spark Bills' pedestrian run game - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:26 PM
Top-seeded Pats focus on regular-season finale - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 8:10 PM
Breaking Down Giants Game Plan vs. Eagles
Bleacher Report 9:00 PM
Breaking Down Jets Game Plan vs. Dolphins
NBC Sports 4:12 AM
Thursday morning one-liners
NBC Sports 4:12 AM
Odell Beckham picks up $10,000 fine
NBC Sports 4:41 AM
Rex Ryan thinks Aaron Donald can't hold Sheldon Richardson's jock
NFL 7:57 AM
Geno Smith: I see myself as Jets' QB for a long time
NBC Sports 8:18 AM
Geno Smith: I'm part of the problem, I want to be part of the solution