NH Library says fire Pat Tyksinski!

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Library Tortoise

Utica, NY

#1 Jul 3, 2013
Hello New Hartford! Your Library Tortoise here.

Residents of New Hartford, NY you are losing your library a slice at a time.

You may have read in the OD (11/21/12) about Mr. Tyksinski's threats to remove an additional $50,000 from the library budget if the Library dared to cut back on hours due to a reduced budget. What is at the bottom of this is that Mr. Tyksinski does not want to be blamed for closing the Library but he does not want to pay for it either.

Supervisor Tyksinski and the Town Board have to stop nickel and diming the library to death because it is the easiest target.

The operation of a library is as complex as any business, perhaps more so, yet we are beset by advice from people who never use the library, have never worked or volunteered at the library, and appear not to understand the role of a library in society. Mr. Wiatr, Supervisor Tyksinski, Town Board members, and even the OD editorial staff, lead this charge.

Sadly, the library employees have suffered the most from Tyksinski's budget cutting and Wiatr's unfounded opinions. It must be assumed that Wiatr represents the views of Town Supervisor Tyksinski and other town board members who voted for him.

Tyksinski is running for Town Supervisor again, although he has previously said he would not. If you enjoy the services of the library and believe it should continue, you need to punish him in the voting booth. Don Backman his Republican opponent is not an option either, he has been blind to what Wiatr costs us in community resources and spirit. The Democrat Richard Woodland is no prize either. He voted Aye to Wiatr's appointment to the Library Board.

Please read my blog!

http://newhartfordonline.blogspot.com/
Wow

New York, NY

#2 Jul 3, 2013
That is like biting the hand that feeds you.... Good Luck!
Wow

New York, NY

#3 Jul 3, 2013
After reading the blog I now understand better why over 1400 people voted against and overwhelmingly defeated the rechartering vote for the Library last August. I guess it is a good thing you don't have their names or you would probably post all of them as well... Good Luck!
Blah

Utica, NY

#4 Jul 3, 2013
Pat simply despises anything he doesn't have direct control over. Library, citizen boards, fire depts. whatever.

If he isn't king then to hell with all of them. It's a shame. There's more to our fine town than someone being king.
Library Tortoise

Utica, NY

#5 Jul 3, 2013
Hello New Hartford! Read my blog and remember:

Tyksinski is running for Town Supervisor again, although he has previously said he would not. If you enjoy the services of the library and believe it should continue, you need to punish him in the voting booth.

Library Hare

Utica, NY

#6 Jul 3, 2013
If there is another library run as bad as this one, I'd be surprised.
Karl Madden

Utica, NY

#7 Jul 3, 2013
The public library in Halliburton.
Library Tortoise

Utica, NY

#8 Jul 4, 2013
All I can say New Hartford is that you are losing your library a slice at a time.

Please read my blog to see why:

Most importantly, Tyksinski is running for Town Supervisor again, although he has previously said he would not. If you enjoy the services of the library and believe it should continue, you need to punish him in the voting booth.
Decreased Funding

New York, NY

#9 Jul 4, 2013
It is not just New Hartfor who ihas kept funding levels constant or has cut library funding. This is an interesting study which identifies the funding for libraries nationally:

http://www.ala.org/research/sites/ala.org.res...

Some Highlights:

"A majority of public libraries(56.7 percent) report flat or decreased operating budgets in FY2012, a slight improvement from 59.8 percent reported in FY2011.

Full-time equivalent (FTE) staffing levels declined for all libraries during the last three years (-7.2 percent), with a decrease of 10.3 percent in FTE at urban libraries.

Twenty-three states report cuts in state funding for public libraries between FY2011 and FY2012. For three years in a row, more than 40 percent of states have reported decreased public library
support.

After falling 41.8 percent in FY2009, decreases in operating expenditures slowed in FY2012 to -2.4
percent, and a greater decrease (-5.3 percent) is reported to be anticipated for FY2013."
Alex Hamilton

Utica, NY

#10 Jul 4, 2013
Funding cuts are ubiquitous at every level of local, state and federal government. Since the recession started in 2008 government officials have been looking to cut spending. Unfortunately, libraries are easy targets.
Blah

Utica, NY

#11 Jul 4, 2013
Alex Hamilton wrote:
Funding cuts are ubiquitous at every level of local, state and federal government. Since the recession started in 2008 government officials have been looking to cut spending. Unfortunately, libraries are easy targets.
The town itself is a target if some of the destructionists have there druthers.
Library Tortoise

Utica, NY

#12 Jul 4, 2013

You may have read in the OD (11/21/12) about Mr. Tyksinski's threats to remove an additional $50,000 from the library budget if the Library dared to cut back on hours due to a reduced budget. What is at the bottom of this is that Mr. Tyksinski does not want to be blamed for closing the Library but he does not want to pay for it either.

Supervisor Tyksinski and the Town Board have to stop nickel and diming the library to death because it is the easiest target.

The operation of a library is as complex as any business, perhaps more so, yet we are beset by advice from people who never use the library, have never worked or volunteered at the library, and appear not to understand the role of a library in society. Mr. Wiatr, Supervisor Tyksinski, Town Board members, and even the OD editorial staff, lead this charge.

Sadly, the library employees have suffered the most from Tyksinski's budget cutting and Wiatr's unfounded opinions. It must be assumed that Wiatr represents the views of Town Supervisor Tyksinski and other town board members who voted for him.

Tyksinski is running for Town Supervisor again, although he has previously said he would not. If you enjoy the services of the library and believe it should continue, you need to punish him in the voting booth. Don Backman his Republican opponent is not an option either, he has been blind to what Wiatr costs us in community resources and spirit. The Democrat Richard Woodland is no prize either. He voted Aye to Wiatr's appointment to the Library Board.

Please read my blog!

http://newhartfordonline.blogspot.com
Library Tortoise

Utica, NY

#13 Jul 4, 2013
Hello New Hartford! Please read my blog:

Tyksinski sees no value in libraries and purposely appointed Wiatr to disrupt the Library from the inside. Tyksinski was well aware of Mr. Wiatr's long record of harassing public agencies with FOILs and lawsuits. He has sued his own employer the Department of Defense at least three times, not to make world a better place, but to further his own financial position. Since leaving the DoD he has moved on to local institutions and pathetically a smallish public library.

Snapping Turtle

New York, NY

#14 Jul 4, 2013
Alex Hamilton wrote:
So the decrease in funding of libraries is something that has been happening nationally since 2008. This is an unfortunate situation but is also something most libraries are having to deal with. I am not sure why the "Library Tortoise" has taken such an active role to attack people in a public forum when the issue of library funding is a national issue. In my opinion, the library needs to identify other sources of funding and review all if its current processes so current and future levels of funding are spent in the most prudent way possible. The funding of public libraries is a national problem which does not appear to be getting better any time soon...
Library Tortoise

Utica, NY

#15 Jul 4, 2013
Snapping Turtle wrote:
<quoted text>
So the decrease in funding of libraries is something that has been happening nationally since 2008. This is an unfortunate situation but is also something most libraries are having to deal with. I am not sure why the "Library Tortoise" has taken such an active role to attack people in a public forum when the issue of library funding is a national issue. In my opinion, the library needs to identify other sources of funding and review all if its current processes so current and future levels of funding are spent in the most prudent way possible. The funding of public libraries is a national problem which does not appear to be getting better any time soon...
Hello Snapping Turtle! Its Library Tortoise. Residents of New Hartford, NY you are losing your library a slice at a time. As the county, town, and state budgets now stand, it will be necessary for the library to close additional hours beyond the Wednesday closure already in place. Mr. Tyksinski's threats to remove an additional $50,000 from the library budget if the Library dared to cut back on hours due to a reduced budget. What is at the bottom of this is that Mr. Tyksinski does not want to be blamed for closing the Library but he does not want to pay for it either.

Tyksinski is running for Town Supervisor again, although he has previously said he would not. If you enjoy the services of the library and believe it should continue, you need to punish him in the voting booth. Don Backman his Republican opponent is not an option either, he has been blind to what Wiatr costs us in community resources and spirit. The Democrat Richard Woodland is no prize either. He voted Aye to Wiatr's appointment to the Library Board. You can only hope that when he says "now that the town’s finances are under control residents should start seeing the benefits (OD, 6/4/13)" he includes the Library in those benefits. It is now vanishing beneath your feet.
Snapping Turtle

New York, NY

#16 Jul 4, 2013
Library Tortoise - I as well hope the Town of New Hartford finances are under control. My question is are the New Hartford Public Library finances also under control and how is funding being spent? I wondered how a library could come to the Town residents and request an increase of their budget to $1M when they did not make current financial statements public (or maybe they do not exist - don't know). I now see on the Library web site that there is a financial statement for 2010/2011 but nothing after that and prior statements exist for 2005-2008.

http://www.newhartfordpubliclibrary.org/Finan...
Library Tortoise

Utica, NY

#17 Jul 4, 2013

Pat Tyksinski, Don Backman, Ed Wiatr and Dona Donavan are all against the library!

Tyksinski is running for Town Supervisor again, although he has previously said he would not. If you enjoy the services of the library and believe it should continue, you need to punish him in the voting booth. Don Backman his Republican opponent is not an option either, he has been blind to what Wiatr costs us in community resources and spirit. The Democrat Richard Woodland is no prize either. He voted Aye to Wiatr's appointment to the Library Board. You can only hope that when he says "now that the town’s finances are under control residents should start seeing the benefits (OD, 6/4/13)" he includes the Library in those benefits. It is now vanishing beneath your feet.

Please read my blog!
NYM resident

United States

#18 Jul 4, 2013
Hey Library Tortoise-the NH library was built with private donations after a vote by the citizens of NH rejected its initial funding. I'm not sure why any money now is being forked over by the town and its taxpayers. I already pay village taxes, of which a portion goes to the NYM library. I don't need to pay for that albatross in NH too!!
Library Tortass

United States

#19 Jul 4, 2013
Why doesn't the library disclose it finances and justify the need for its funding? But hey let's give a few grand to the outgoing director against your own policy. The entire board including Waitr needs to be replaced.
Library Tortoise

Utica, NY

#20 Jul 5, 2013

Please read my blog!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 4 min positronium 6,438
whitesboro school taxes (May '10) 6 min Main Man 15
Danielle Giruzzi - Hot Shrimp Thief (Mar '11) 12 min Jim Shrimp 118
Utica teen accused of robbing group of people 13 min C No Evil 5
Whitesboro High School (Jan '14) 21 min leslie 59
RCIL's Newest Addition Executive Director AKA T... 23 min For the consumers 257
Utica College: Lowest rating in ELEVEN COUNTY U... 25 min Babbler 50
yanadasis closes club house 3 hr kissmyazz 18
Westmoreland Rd Elementary School Whitesboro - ... 4 hr wow 61
NH new AD, you blew it already. 4 hr mama 13
Teb's son arrested from NH. 6 hr drip 23
•••
•••