Councilwoman proposes legislation reg...

Councilwoman proposes legislation regarding landlords

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sam

Greig, NY

#1 Apr 14, 2013
The city has basic laws on the books now for Landlords.

Just add more laws on top of laws the City does not enforce
Sick of complainers

Carthage, NY

#2 Apr 14, 2013
Sam wrote:
The city has basic laws on the books now for Landlords.
Just add more laws on top of laws the City does not enforce
Who cares. Fine the landlord. Start making them pay extra for making the property tax payers suffer for their carelessness.

Please enlighten me on what the city doesn't enforce.
Sam

Greig, NY

#3 Apr 14, 2013
Sick of complainers wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares. Fine the landlord. Start making them pay extra for making the property tax payers suffer for their carelessness.
Please enlighten me on what the city doesn't enforce.
The City Fire Department shall maintain a registry of all owner-occupied two-family dwellings, rental dwelling units and rental units containing the following information which shall be provided by the owner on forms available from the Department.
(1) The name, legal residence address, and telephone number of the owner and any agent in control of the rental dwelling unit, and in the event the owner or agent is not a natural person, then the owner information shall be that of the president, general manager, or other chief executive officer of the organization. Where the owner lives outside Oneida County, the owner must register a manager or person-in-control that lives within Oneida County with that individual's name, address and telephone number. Where more than one owner has an ownership interest in the dwelling, the required information shall be included for each owner. The information required herein shall also include a street address, as well as a post office box, if required, and phone number where the owner(s), agent(s) and/or responsible person(s) may be reached day and night.
(2) The number and type of rental units in the dwelling.
(3) The address of the rental dwelling unit.
(4) The date of birth of the owner or owners of the rental dwelling unit.
(5) The employer identification number in the event the rental dwelling unit is owned by a corporation.
Dumbas

Carthage, NY

#4 Apr 14, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
The City Fire Department shall maintain a registry of all owner-occupied two-family dwellings, rental dwelling units and rental units containing the following information which shall be provided by the owner on forms available from the Department.
(1) The name, legal residence address, and telephone number of the owner and any agent in control of the rental dwelling unit, and in the event the owner or agent is not a natural person, then the owner information shall be that of the president, general manager, or other chief executive officer of the organization. Where the owner lives outside Oneida County, the owner must register a manager or person-in-control that lives within Oneida County with that individual's name, address and telephone number. Where more than one owner has an ownership interest in the dwelling, the required information shall be included for each owner. The information required herein shall also include a street address, as well as a post office box, if required, and phone number where the owner(s), agent(s) and/or responsible person(s) may be reached day and night.
(2) The number and type of rental units in the dwelling.
(3) The address of the rental dwelling unit.
(4) The date of birth of the owner or owners of the rental dwelling unit.
(5) The employer identification number in the event the rental dwelling unit is owned by a corporation.
Ok and how do you get ahold of landlords who are out of state? And change their phone number and address without notifying the City without a penalty?
Sam

Greig, NY

#5 Apr 14, 2013
Dumbas wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok and how do you get ahold of landlords who are out of state? And change their phone number and address without notifying the City without a penalty?
it is simple, No inspection Landlord can not re-rent apartment untill all information is updated No need for a penalty ,
wow

New York, NY

#6 Apr 14, 2013
how bout laws protecting landlords from americas guests. tenants can't even wash their own f%%%%ing asses. they destroy homes because their pigs then blame the landlord
Sam R

Carthage, NY

#7 Apr 14, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
it is simple, No inspection Landlord can not re-rent apartment untill all information is updated No need for a penalty ,
You have no idea what your talking about and should just give up now. You can't just tell a landlord they can't rent an apartment if there is no inspection. Hence why this legislation is in the best interest for everyone.
Did you even read the legislation?
Pleasure Kevin

Ithaca, NY

#8 Apr 14, 2013
How many people have to die in this town before the city starts actually cracking down on these slumlords?
Fudge

Carthage, NY

#9 Apr 14, 2013
Pleasure Kevin wrote:
How many people have to die in this town before the city starts actually cracking down on these slumlords?
ITs people like the moron Sam poster that doesn't want change... Must be a slumlord
Wow

Cazenovia, NY

#10 Apr 14, 2013
Geezus its not rocket science. Keep hemming and hawing....making excuses and .nothing ever gets done. Nothing but a bunch of bozos who keep talking in circles. Vote them all out.
Sam

Greig, NY

#11 Apr 14, 2013
Fudge wrote:
<quoted text>
ITs people like the moron Sam poster that doesn't want change... Must be a slumlord
An owner who fails to register, re-register or otherwise comply with the provisions of this division, shall, upon conviction, be fined not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 for each day of noncompliance for each dwelling or rental dwelling unit. Each day of noncompliance shall be a separate violation of this division. Further, if noncompliance extends beyond the date of conviction upon default for failing to appear on the return date of the citation, then the penalty shall be the fines, together with 15 days in jail. During the same time period the City shall presume the dwelling or dwelling unit unsafe and shall order the subject dwelling or dwelling unit to be vacated upon 20 days' notice. Prosecutions shall be taken by the Administrator through the City Corporation Counsel in City Court.
Sam

Greig, NY

#12 Apr 14, 2013
Fudge wrote:
<quoted text>
ITs people like the moron Sam poster that doesn't want change... Must be a slumlord
Sorry not a slumload, and if you say i am moron ok
Great

New Hartford, NY

#13 Apr 14, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
An owner who fails to register, re-register or otherwise comply with the provisions of this division, shall, upon conviction, be fined not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 for each day of noncompliance for each dwelling or rental dwelling unit. Each day of noncompliance shall be a separate violation of this division. Further, if noncompliance extends beyond the date of conviction upon default for failing to appear on the return date of the citation, then the penalty shall be the fines, together with 15 days in jail. During the same time period the City shall presume the dwelling or dwelling unit unsafe and shall order the subject dwelling or dwelling unit to be vacated upon 20 days' notice. Prosecutions shall be taken by the Administrator through the City Corporation Counsel in City Court.
This is a great way to create even more empty eyesores. The truth is the people who are renting these apartments are scum. Most of them cant even put cloths on when in public! They hold their hand out want the government to take care of them not only that they trash the apartment they live in! Dont clean or take out trash in fact create the pest problems!

KY WELLER
Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#14 Apr 14, 2013
Great wrote:
<quoted text>This is a great way to create even more empty eyesores. The truth is the people who are renting these apartments are scum. Most of them cant even put cloths on when in public! They hold their hand out want the government to take care of them not only that they trash the apartment they live in! Dont clean or take out trash in fact create the pest problems!
There should be laws concerning these tenant/landlord transactions protecting each party. Shit flies both ways. There should be a 3rd party involved who can videotape all units,and vouch for conditions at the time of rental. This 3rd party should have record of all agreements and act as referee in disputes. Then both parties would not be able to bullshit the other. This is just an idea,but better than what Utica has now.
Sam

Greig, NY

#15 Apr 14, 2013
Great wrote:
<quoted text>This is a great way to create even more empty eyesores. The truth is the people who are renting these apartments are scum. Most of them cant even put cloths on when in public! They hold their hand out want the government to take care of them not only that they trash the apartment they live in! Dont clean or take out trash in fact create the pest problems!
Now this is a GREAT statement.
Pleasure Kevin

Whately, MA

#16 Apr 15, 2013
Great wrote:
<quoted text>This is a great way to create even more empty eyesores. The truth is the people who are renting these apartments are scum. Most of them cant even put cloths on when in public! They hold their hand out want the government to take care of them not only that they trash the apartment they live in! Dont clean or take out trash in fact create the pest problems!
So they deserve to die in a fire because the building is unsafe?
landlords get screwed

United States

#17 Apr 15, 2013
I agree the fire code inspection is a good thing to make sure the dwellings are safe. But some of the concerns they mention on these inspections are not at all fire safety related. Also the registration fee for each unit is a little steep. Don't we already pay enough for property taxes. For Christ sake.
Now they want to create another database to track absentee landlords. Not needed IMO. If there is a codes issue related to a property it needs to be addressed, period. Doesn't matter where the landlord resides. This is just another ploy to create revenue. They'll charge an unreasonable fee to register each unit just like the fire inspection. Another great perk of living in this toilet. Just like the nonsense "curb" tax Palmeri is talking about. Any excuse to take our hard earned dollars. They should focus on the real problems, the dirt bag tenants. Hold them accountable for the messes they create. Penalize them by taking away their public assistance until things get corrected. They just sit on their butts expecting more handouts while us working class keep paying and paying. And then wonder while this area is in such financial jeopardy.
Pacific Heights

Utica, NY

#18 Apr 15, 2013
Come on Really, how hard is it to find a Landlord! He either picks up the rent or it is mailed to him. If he picks it up he's local, if it's mailed to him, get it from the tenant.

This isn't Rocket Science folks!!!!!
just do it

Hadley, MA

#19 Apr 15, 2013
How fn hard is it to understand the legislation. There is no reason for any landlords having to pay a fine. Just have a local rep capable of making decisions on owners behalf. It a great idea. Have the reps name and phone posted in a hall or porch. Some tenants don't even know their landlord cause county pays their rent and/or they don't care. This will help fire police and codes during issues. Ex. Carbon monoxide alarm because of malfunctioning furnace. Decisions need to be made when national grid red tags it.
this is ridiculous

Newington, CT

#20 Apr 15, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
An owner who fails to register, re-register or otherwise comply with the provisions of this division, shall, upon conviction, be fined not less than $500 nor more than $1,000 for each day of noncompliance for each dwelling or rental dwelling unit. Each day of noncompliance shall be a separate violation of this division. Further, if noncompliance extends beyond the date of conviction upon default for failing to appear on the return date of the citation, then the penalty shall be the fines, together with 15 days in jail. During the same time period the City shall presume the dwelling or dwelling unit unsafe and shall order the subject dwelling or dwelling unit to be vacated upon 20 days' notice. Prosecutions shall be taken by the Administrator through the City Corporation Counsel in City Court.
Don't we want to keep properties on the tax rolls.? Aren't I registered as an owner already? You send me the bills, I pay the taxes. Somebody has my name. It's not a secret. Why do you want to make it harder for people to own property in Utica? Instead of these stupid fines why don't you look and see who is abusing non profit status to avoid paying property taxes. Think of ways to build up the tax base, not punish people who contribute to it. If you council people think this is a viable law, you aren't very bright. I object strongly. I take good care of my properties and I have good tenants, most for many years. I pay my taxes on time and I don't see why I am now the enemy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
utica/county to help fund downtown hospital garage 7 min aurelio bianco 4
Who is funding the Aud renovations? 18 min Welfare wendy 134
Frank Pelli wrong for North Utica Again take. Down 35 min The people 1
mother met life (Mar '10) 35 min PlanetoftheApes 12
dont you have someone to sue 48 min brianna 3
Bill Murray In Utica 52 min WAITING COWARD SC... 21
Sexless Marriage 53 min WAITING COWARD SC... 43
Police Cover-up in New Hartford 1 hr Keep hopinFag 197
Tried Anal-Hated It! 1 hr Amanda 22

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages