NH Library taxpayer funded waste
educator

Utica, NY

#93 Jun 21, 2013
Library Patron
For an educated New "HAHTford" resident like yourself (an admitted reader and library user) you're not very smart. Unless I decide to undergo a sex change, I'll never be Romano. Why can't you understand that there are educated people who don't choose to live in that exalted temple of goodness? We folks is happy right where we is, by cracky. Why, we can smoke corn, make shine, square dance...just have a grand ole time!
People like you create the Ed Waitrs of the world by looking down on everyone else and then finding out to your dismay that you have the same issues, the same problems and the same dirty laundry that we all do. A pox on both your houses.
Spartan

Watertown, MA

#94 Jun 21, 2013
One thing we all can agree on is that the library has had a string of bad press lately between the 2 resignations and their generous taxpayer funded parting gift to their retireing director. It all comes down to one person: president Romano. Ultimately she is the source of the problems and discontent. she needs to resign or be asked to leave if the library hopes to get any credibility back.
Face the facts

Rome, NY

#95 Jun 21, 2013
Fact #1 - 80% of the library budget is supported by the Town, the other 20% is from other revenue and fundraising of which they are currently falling very behind.
Fact #2- the Town has in trusted the funds to the library board trustees to use prudently and efficiently with a limited number of "rules"
Fact #3- if the library runs short of funds, they most likely will have to go back to the Town and ask for more money
Fact #4- the library trustees just passed a motion to spend more money which they don't have, nor was this a necessary expense - keep in mind that they also gave him six weeks of paid vacation time which was also against policy.
Some people may not like Ed Wiatr, but at least he was one of only two Trustees who seem to be taking their fiscal responsibility seriously. Do the other Trustees just think that money grows on trees in New Hartford?
GET YOUR BUDGET UNDER CONTROL AND STAY WITH IT BEFORE YOU SPEND MONEY YOU DO NOT HAVE!
By the way - if the library is such a beautiful place (which I think it is) why are board meetings held at Butler Hall?
NH Taxpayer

Henderson, NV

#96 Jun 21, 2013
Face the facts wrote:
Fact #2- the Town has in trusted the funds to the library board trustees to use prudently and efficiently with a limited number of "rules"
That shipped has sailed. There appears to be little or no accountability in how OUR taxpayer dollars are being used. Someone needs to intervene, and quickly.

I agree, Romano needs to resign.

Ed has pushed back, without results, and been vilified for doing so. Say what you will about Ed, he's doing the right thing. He has my complete support. Hang in there, Ed.
Taxpayer

Utica, NY

#97 Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for posting wrote:
Thanks for posting this.I had no idea how much stuff the OD has been hiding from us.
<quoted text>
Does Mowat ever go away? She seems to have her hands in eveerything in New Hartford. Doesn't she date the Town road guy?
Wendell

United States

#98 Jun 21, 2013
NH Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what you will about Ed, he's doing the right thing. He has my complete support. Hang in there, Ed.
Ed is a smart guy, a bit contentious, but not to be underestimated. I think he has the taxpayer's best interests in mind (unlike the trustee's gang leader), and should be applauded on his resistance. It is ashamed that when Ed makes the correct decisions, he's smeared. We should be getting behind anyone who supports prudent expenditures of tax dollars, and questions improprieties. He's getting a bad rap for someone who is doing his job.
Ungodly

Brighton, MA

#99 Jun 21, 2013
Wendell wrote:
<quoted text>
Ed is a smart guy, a bit contentious, but not to be underestimated. I think he has the taxpayer's best interests in mind (unlike the trustee's gang leader), and should be applauded on his resistance. It is ashamed that when Ed makes the correct decisions, he's smeared. We should be getting behind anyone who supports prudent expenditures of tax dollars, and questions improprieties. He's getting a bad rap for someone who is doing his job.
His idea of prudencey is to burn all the books and sell the bldg with a public auction. If you let him loose on the town there would be nothing left. He hates everything and everyone if your not of his same unbalanced mind. He would have NH be sage brush and desert sand if he could. Inreally think he is nothing but a destroyer. Very negative and never has anything good to say about anyone or anything. I've seen antichrists of the past have more humility.
Some advice

Hampton, VA

#100 Jun 21, 2013
Ungodly wrote:
<quoted text>
His idea of prudencey is to burn all the books and sell the bldg with a public auction. If you let him loose on the town there would be nothing left. He hates everything and everyone if your not of his same unbalanced mind. He would have NH be sage brush and desert sand if he could. Inreally think he is nothing but a destroyer. Very negative and never has anything good to say about anyone or anything. I've seen antichrists of the past have more humility.
You know, your over the top, overly dramatic bashing of Ed Wiatr is only serving to illustrate just how bankrupt you are with the facts since emotionalism is all you have left. Its backfiring on you just like trying to use Cunningham's and Stephen's resignations to "get Wiatr" have backfired. Linda Romano has jumped the shark with this latest caper paying of using $16,000 of taxpayer money for Plembeck's retirement gift. Trust me, before the year is out, she will be asked or forced to resign. She is totally ineffective as Library president. The calls for her resigation by those who truly love the library are growing and they are not going away.
Lindsey

United States

#101 Jun 21, 2013
Ungodly wrote:
<quoted text>
Yikes, the library gang is striking back by attempting to smear Ed, calling him unbalanced (just say he's nuts). Well, he's not. He is the only one solidly in the taxpayer's corner, and he understands that the library is hemorrhaging our dollars.

We need someone heading the trustees that we can trust. Someone responsible. Maybe, just maybe, he is our guy. It certainly is not the current regime. It's time to act.
name new president

Watertown, MA

#102 Jun 21, 2013
Linda Romano is done as library president. We should start considering who her replacement will be. The best idea is to bring in respected outsider. If it has to be a current board member I recommend Ed Flemma. Hr has the right personality to heal divisions and bring people together. He also has common sense. Anyone else.
Lindsey

United States

#103 Jun 21, 2013
name new president wrote:
Linda Romano is done as library president. We should start considering who her replacement will be. The best idea is to bring in respected outsider. If it has to be a current board member I recommend Ed Flemma. Hr has the right personality to heal divisions and bring people together. He also has common sense. Anyone else.
Flemma would be a good choice. We need a President who is not vindictive like Romano. I, and my children, enjoy the library - and I want to see it prosper. I don't have any faith that would happen if Romano remains. Even the employees are concerned and disgusted.

Sent from my iPad
Raven

New Hartford, NY

#104 Jun 21, 2013
Ed Flemma would be my choice as well. However, there is a group of Romano minions who do not want change and will do everything to stop progress and ruin this library. These are the trustees that I would recommend resign from the library board.
Lindsey

United States

#105 Jun 21, 2013
You would think that Romano's malfeasance would dictate she resign. Mismanagement of taxpayer dollars should be the reason. I think there is a groundswell of support that she be removed.

Does anyone know if Flemma would accept the position? What trustees would oppose him? Is anything being done, or is it business as usual?

Hope this toxic situation gets resolved quickly.

Sent from my iPad
Edmund

Utica, NY

#106 Jun 21, 2013
Raven wrote:
Ed Flemma would be my choice as well. However, there is a group of Romano minions who do not want change and will do everything to stop progress and ruin this library. These are the trustees that I would recommend resign from the library board.
Yes that is your answer to all out there in NH that have the audacity to oppose anything but your view. They name streets after people like you. One way.

Stop calling for resignations. It is old and tired. Your not the dictator in chArge yet that you aspire to be. That's your groups answer to everything. Go back and searching your rants for years you're always calling for someone to quit because you simply don't agree. You're a bully. So is the concerned group. Bunch of bullies looking to get there way.

You ever heard of trying to work with people instead of being such a jerk?

Very sad. Thank heavens most people know you people are full of malarky.
Give it up Jim

Utica, NY

#107 Jun 21, 2013
Edmund wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that is your answer to all out there in NH that have the audacity to oppose anything but your view. They name streets after people like you. One way.
Stop calling for resignations. It is old and tired. Your not the dictator in chArge yet that you aspire to be. That's your groups answer to everything. Go back and searching your rants for years you're always calling for someone to quit because you simply don't agree. You're a bully. So is the concerned group. Bunch of bullies looking to get there way.
You ever heard of trying to work with people instead of being such a jerk?
Very sad. Thank heavens most people know you people are full of malarky.
Jim, you are not convincing anyone. You guys really stepped in it this time and the people of this town have had enough of you wasting their hard earned tax dollars. The people of this town gave you guys $16,000 for running a library and not one cent will go to buying books, computers, magazines or paying someone to stand behind the desk. Thanks to you guys, not one cent of it will go towards the library. You Library Trustees STOLE THE MONEY FROM YOUR NEIGHBORS!
Nathan

United States

#108 Jun 22, 2013
Give it up Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
The people of this town gave you guys $16,000 for running a library and not one cent will go to buying books, computers, magazines or paying someone to stand behind the desk. Thanks to you guys, not one cent of it will go towards the library. You Library Trustees STOLE THE MONEY FROM YOUR NEIGHBORS!
I think you expressed very well what most of us in NH believe, and I agree completely with your statement. The library has been mismanaged by the current trustees. The question remains: when will a change occur? I hope it happens soon. We can't afford the trustee's policies.
Brittany

Utica, NY

#109 Jun 22, 2013
As soon as these trouble makers get in office and have total control ....which is all they want, they will then do whatever they want. It's a future dictatorship under the guise of fiscal prudencey. And Mark my words here, once these rabalrousers attain the power they want they will then do what they want. From erecting statues of themselves to spending whatever money they want. It's all about the future glory. Only it will be about there glory only. This Ed guy will want the place named after him when he's through. And when he's done gutting the library so it looks like a used book seller store He will move his unruly aspirations on to the town level. Which was the end game all along. Wait til you see what he will do to your town unchecked and dripping with power. It's all about him people. Do your research. Make sure you understand where his true aspirations are. He is a bully dictator that wants his name in lights and when he does it will be all about him. He will be so wicked and vile to the rest of the town if your not on his side you will want to move to Utica. And no one ever wants that. Be careful everyone. This guy is one slippery fellow. I've seen used car salesman that I'd trust more. I speak the truth and all you need to do is read some blogs to see how this wannabe politician is looking to maneuver himself in to the glory. He has nothing nice to ever say about anyone with his forked tongue. Very negative and hates everyone. He will have this a one horse town the stature of west Winfield if he ever can pull off his plan.
TRUTH

New Hartford, NY

#110 Jun 22, 2013
Now we have the truth...Attorney Linda Romano-Petralia was leading Les Cortright into putting up for a vote - what SHE wanted the library board to vote on. The TRUTH of the matter was that Trustee Les Cortright NEVER went to any HR Committee Meetings nor communicated with the HR Committee Chair. Yet, Attorney Romano told Lest to entertain a second motion???

The TRUTH is out there: http://www.newhartfordnyonline.blogspot.com/2...

Thank you Trustee Edward Flemma for your report. We now have further proof that Attorney Romano was not being forthcoming with the town people and spending public monies in a manner that is against the NYS Constitution, Section 8 - Title Gifts & Loans.
Angie

United States

#111 Jun 22, 2013
"Trustee Flemma and Trustee Wiatr are the only trustees who voted against the board resolution to spend taxpayer dollars to supplement the retiring library director's health insurance for the next FIVE years."

Thanks to Mr Flemma and Mr Wiatr.

Romano must go. Immediately.
Face the facts

Rome, NY

#112 Jun 22, 2013
Any board member whether they are in favor of or oppose a motion can put a motion on the table and second it. You are not suppose to discuss a motion until you have one and it has been seconded. I have sat on many boards and have seconded motions which I opposed only to get the motion into discussion and subsequent vote. If the motion is not made or is not seconded, then the topic drops. Therefore, whether or not Les attended a human resource meeting is irrelevant to him seconding a motion. However, the chair should have made the motion based on the committees opinion, then the Pres would ask for a second, followed by discussion and vote. Not sure this is what happened.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bonamassa on Fallon tonighr 5 hr Gaggy 6
Fred Miller? ESPN Radio 8 hr Ryan Clark Mills 21
Forbes Magazine: Utica is 'Worst place to do bu... (May '10) 9 hr frebie 62
ucsd 11 hr yep 25
Forbes Ranks Utica-Rome Metro Area 13 hr take trash out 53
lapolla thinks a mayor run (Jan '15) 14 hr Humble taxpayer 62
News Hotel Utica avoids foreclosure with new tax pay... (Oct '10) 14 hr I C U Most Bestest 17
Ironic Nano news announced before elections 18 hr huntz hall 93
Utica Is a Great Place to Find a Job! 19 hr I C U Better 44
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages