Roosevelt School is 100% Asbestos.

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
HeyUtica

Utica, NY

#1 Nov 10, 2013
This will cost the city 3-5 million to do it right and legally. If they can't go inside and inspect it, then it must be concidered 100% asbestos/mold. The city is BS'ing you if they tell you something else. What a phony article in paper this morning. The writer is another puppet of Palmieris. If you live near there I feel sorry for your health too.
Sam

Utica, NY

#2 Nov 10, 2013
HeyUtica wrote:
This will cost the city 3-5 million to do it right and legally. If they can't go inside and inspect it, then it must be concidered 100% asbestos/mold. The city is BS'ing you if they tell you something else. What a phony article in paper this morning. The writer is another puppet of Palmieris. If you live near there I feel sorry for your health too.
EPA's Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule (RRP Rule) requires that firms performing renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and pre-schools built before 1978 have their firm certified by EPA (or an EPA authorized state), use certified renovators who are trained by EPA-approved training providers and follow lead-safe work practices.
Jack Apples

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Nov 10, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
EPA's Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule (RRP Rule) requires that firms performing renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and pre-schools built before 1978 have their firm certified by EPA (or an EPA authorized state), use certified renovators who are trained by EPA-approved training providers and follow lead-safe work practices.
But remember, this is the city of Utica were talking about. What a fricking disaster this will be. No CDBG money for anybody next year because this will end up costing the city about $3 million. You just watch.
Wesley

Utica, NY

#4 Nov 10, 2013
More than 3 million
Sam

Utica, NY

#5 Nov 10, 2013
Jack Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
But remember, this is the city of Utica were talking about. What a fricking disaster this will be. No CDBG money for anybody next year because this will end up costing the city about $3 million. You just watch.
I think you are off by 2 million dollars, City of Utica
leaders are not tell us that cellar is flooded with at least 6 feet of water, Their are 3 500 gallon fuel tanks still with fuel oil in them, well by now or 3 years ago started leaking, fuel oil into basement so everything in that basement is contaminate, so it can not just be pumped down any city sewer drain ( OR WILL IT )
Now lets talk about all the Asbestos that this building has, and the Health and well being of the people who live next to this building and a few blocks all around it.

The city will just wet the building down with a fire hose, and start removing, But if the building is full of asbestos and lead paint, as other parts of this building are disturbed and are not covered in water, asbestos and lead will be come airborne.
Renovation and Demolition of Buildings

Air toxics regulations under the Clean Air Act specify work practices for asbestos to be followed during demolitions and renovations of all facilities, including, but not limited to, structures, installations, and buildings (excluding residential buildings that have four or fewer dwelling units). The regulations require a thorough inspection where the demolition or renovation operation will occur. The regulations require the owner or the operator of the renovation or demolition operation to notify the appropriate delegated entity (often a state agency) before any demolition, or before any renovations of buildings that contain a certain threshold amount of regulated asbestos-containing material. The rule requires work practice standards that control asbestos emissions. Work practices often involve removing all asbestos-containing materials, adequately wetting all regulated asbestos-containing materials, sealing the material in leak tight containers and disposing of the asbestos-containing waste material as expediently as practicable, as the regulation explains in greater detail.

These work practice standards are designed to minimize the release of asbestos fibers during building demolition or renovation, waste packaging, transportation and disposal.
Jack Apples

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Nov 10, 2013
Don't they have to get some kind of permit from the state to take a contaminated place like that down? A disaster in the making.
Wesley

Utica, NY

#7 Nov 10, 2013
Sure do
Bill Gates

Utica, NY

#8 Nov 10, 2013
I'll pay for the whole thing plus put a million bucks in everyone's bank account if you'll please STFU!!
Angel Wings

Utica, NY

#10 Nov 10, 2013
Sam, I live around the area. Someone saw the tanks being removed. How do you know there are still tanks in there?
Sam

Utica, NY

#11 Nov 10, 2013
Angel Wings wrote:
Sam, I live around the area. Someone saw the tanks being removed. How do you know there are still tanks in there?
Were all three tanks removed, and next what happen to all the fuel oil that the tanks had in them.tanks may have rotted out and fuel leaked out.
FYI

Utica, NY

#12 Nov 11, 2013
1. The oil tanks were removed when the school was still in operation

2 The RRP rule does not apply to demolition there are a whole different set of rules for that.

3 The City has obtained a variance from the state on abatement due to the structural problems in the building.

4 Air monitoring will be going on during the whole demolition process
Well

Syracuse, NY

#13 Nov 11, 2013
I hear everyone complaining and I agree it will probably cost a lot more than the city is forecasting, but, what do all you people want the city to do? Just leave it there standing and decaying away? Does anyone have any better ideas what to do with it?
Sam

Utica, NY

#14 Nov 11, 2013
FYI wrote:
1. The oil tanks were removed when the school was still in operation
2 The RRP rule does not apply to demolition there are a whole different set of rules for that.
3 The City has obtained a variance from the state on abatement due to the structural problems in the building.
4 Air monitoring will be going on during the whole demolition process
So everyone that lives around the school should and could get copy of ALL paper work RIGHT !!!!!!!!!! F.O.I.L the city of Utica for ALL paper work People
Nan

Utica, NY

#15 Nov 11, 2013
Well wrote:
I hear everyone complaining and I agree it will probably cost a lot more than the city is forecasting, but, what do all you people want the city to do? Just leave it there standing and decaying away? Does anyone have any better ideas what to do with it?
i went to that school in the 50s and it was a firetrap then. Couldn't those iron gates and decorative fences be used at the zoo and the brick used for landfill at the Fantasy Harbor project?
Sam

Utica, NY

#16 Nov 11, 2013
Well wrote:
The building should have been demo 8 years ago, The city and Gene Allen and urban renewal thought with GRANT money could be made into low cost housing, so city wasted 40,000 for a company to draw up plans The city had meeting, for peoples input and what will happen and how the school will look. City lied to everyone, So now the city will not follow any of the rules to take this building down, and put everyone heath in danger, They MUST follow all rules taking this building down, Place is filled with Lead base paint, Brick joints have Asbestos fibers City should take this building down but must do it the right way.
also an utican

Utica, NY

#17 Nov 11, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
The building should have been demo 8 years ago, The city and Gene Allen and urban renewal thought with GRANT money could be made into low cost housing, so city wasted 40,000 for a company to draw up plans The city had meeting, for peoples input and what will happen and how the school will look. City lied to everyone, So now the city will not follow any of the rules to take this building down, and put everyone heath in danger, They MUST follow all rules taking this building down, Place is filled with Lead base paint, Brick joints have Asbestos fibers City should take this building down but must do it the right way.
I'm not sure you have your facts straight. The grant was with MHA(Municipal Housing A.) not Urban Renewal. Many residents as well as Gene Allen have been trying to have Roosevelt as well as the James St Theater demo'd for a lot more than 8 yrs. but have been told it would cost too much. Mr. Robert Sullivan was an obstacle to this because rather use the money for art projects.
Hahahaha

Mount Vernon, NY

#18 Nov 11, 2013
I wonder how many fat, stupid worthless utica city employees and cronies will end up in prison over the asbestos when they start cutting their corners and doing little oootican deals like usual?
Connected guy

Utica, NY

#19 Nov 12, 2013
I really don't care what they do as long as the building is gone and I don't have to pay more taxes to do it. They can cut all the corners they want just as long as they get the thing down as cheaply as possible. Why would you people want the city to pay more money? How does that benefit the city taxpayers. I really don't care about asbestos, lead paint, soil contamination etc... Unless the feds are going to come up with the money to remove this building I say take it down as cheaply as possible.
Tom

Utica, NY

#20 Nov 12, 2013
Because us taxpayers must follow the law if it was our property and the city must too. Duh
Latest UPD racism post

Mount Vernon, NY

#22 Nov 12, 2013
I wonder how many fat, stupid worthless utica city employees and cronies will end up in prison over the asbestos when they start cutting their corners and doing little oootican deals like usual?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bernadette Romano-Clark 15 min concetta 22
Highschool dropout mayor 16 min Troll O rama 2
Utica Aud: AHL Welfare All-Star game 18 min sure 211
Utica schools last in academics in CNY. 19 min Comets Welfare Stars 13
Marcy Nanocenter 23 min Comets Welfare Stars 29
CNY Utica "Worst Economic Growth in US til 2020". 25 min Comets Welfare Stars 11
Matt Scialdone 34 min My Take 14
OMG fat firemen on tv 51 min Excuses Excuses 7
Parkway Drugs Pharmacy is the Worst. 1 hr BlacklistRed 17
The WORST Contractors in Central NY (May '10) 1 hr Take that bow 295
Who is the Best Cancer Doctor in the area? 6 hr Ex Utican 6
Utica Dating
Find my Match

Utica Jobs

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica