|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

hockey fan wrote:
ragarding ticket prices (comparing UC with the AHL).Is simply rediculous !! The AHL is the 2nd best league in the WORLD and you can't compare the AHL with any D3 hockey team.That'why the tix cost more.Believe me,we (Utica) are extremely lucky to get the AHL...Please welcome and support this team or go and watch D3 hockey.Once you watch an AHL game you'll never go to a UC game again.The differance is like pop warner vs. The NY Giants !
UC is a big part of this community. Whatever AHL team comes here will draw maybe 1000. And when you neanderthals realize it isnt the big brawl of the past you wont go either.

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

monte wrote:
<quoted text>
UC is a big part of this community. Whatever AHL team comes here will draw maybe 1000. And when you neanderthals realize it isnt the big brawl of the past you wont go either.
A 1000? You truly can't be serious? The team will do well.
Hmmm

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

The Utica Aud can only support an attendance of 4000 for hockey games. This means by default we will have one of the lower attendances in the AHL:

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php...

Additionally, this would seem to mean the ticket prices for the AHL games in Utica would also need to be higher to suppport the team (unless subsidized by Oneida County or the city). I hope this depressed area will be able to afford and support two Hockey teams...

Level 4

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Hmmm wrote:
The Utica Aud can only support an attendance of 4000 for hockey games. This means by default we will have one of the lower attendances in the AHL:
Additionally, this would seem to mean the ticket prices for the AHL games in Utica would also need to be higher to suppport the team (unless subsidized by Oneida County or the city). I hope this depressed area will be able to afford and support two Hockey teams...
You are totally off base actually.
Yep

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are totally off base actually.
Disagree. He has a point. Utica AHL hockey team profits will be based on ticket sales and concessions (less operating costs/salaries). Fewer ticket sales/concession sales results in lower profits and potentially losses. The Heat has been bleeding money from every location they have been located over the last few years and are now going to a stadium that has less seating. If Utica fans stay loyal to the Utica College hockey team then ticket sales could be even lower than expected as there is only so much money to go around....

Level 4

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree. He has a point. Utica AHL hockey team profits will be based on ticket sales and concessions (less operating costs/salaries). Fewer ticket sales/concession sales results in lower profits and potentially losses. The Heat has been bleeding money from every location they have been located over the last few years and are now going to a stadium that has less seating. If Utica fans stay loyal to the Utica College hockey team then ticket sales could be even lower than expected as there is only so much money to go around....
NHL teams don't view their farm system teams as money makers. Do they want them hemoraging money...of course not. Are they happy with breaking even...damn straight they are. Do you realize the amount of money the flames will be saving by moving the team to utica? Take a look at the ahl map and see how much that team has to spend in travel costs per season. Every game they need to fly to. Also every team in their division they are required to pay the visiting teams travel costs which was part of the agreement to get a team in abbotsford. I suggest you do some reading about the subject before just making wild inferences.
UticaHockey

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Hmmm wrote:
You are leaving out the fact that the cost to operate a team in Utica would be much lower than some of the larger AHL cities with much larger arenas. That is why the AHL is back in Binghamton and Glens Falls. The smaller venues are much less expensive to manage. Plus with Utica being directly in the middle of 5 other NY based teams they would have the lowest travel expenses in the entire league. So no they wouldn't have to increase ticket prices to make up for having less available seats.
Capacity

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

The Utica Aud would still be the smallest venue in the AHL and UC Hockey could cut into attendance if fan base remains loyal and cost of UC Hockey is much less...
http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/ice-hockey/n...
Sharky

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Ihave just spent the last hour reading all the posts on here. Now my 2 cents! I loved going to all the hockey games growning up. It was something to do in Utica. I was to young to have gone to the Devels but I wish I could have. Prowlers, Blizard and such,to me didn't do well b ecause they didn't play well. I enjoyed the hockey, but I would have loved to see them WIN. I love UC hockey and am a season ticket holder. I love to see them win. I am about to say something that will make some people question me but here it goes. I would gladly pay more to see UC hockey. I would gladly pay tripple the Season ticket cost and then some. Why you may ask. Well I love to see the support of the local fans chear on our local college, with some local tallent. There are many times I went to UC games and they announced it a sell out and there were plenty of empty seats. There are alot of season Ticket holders that don't attend the games. All the games I had a chance to get too, the holders next to me did not show, EVER! Our local kids deserve to hear the fans of a sold out venue chear them on. I am one of them. I didn't go to all the games. Not even half. But I would pay more to get my butt off the couch and go. Or make it a point to get my tickets to friends or family to enjoy.
As for AHL Hockey. I love it. I travel to Syr (in the past) just to see a bit more exciting Hockey. But the games get over late and it's quite a drive to get back home. I see it this way. If there is a chance for AHL in Utica, Lets do it. But you have to have a winning team. If it doesnt win. They won't come. UC would not be drawing in the crouds that they have if they were last in the ECAC. Its a sad fact.

Level 4

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Sharky wrote:
Ihave just spent the last hour reading all the posts on here. Now my 2 cents! I loved going to all the hockey games growning up. It was something to do in Utica. I was to young to have gone to the Devels but I wish I could have. Prowlers, Blizard and such,to me didn't do well b ecause they didn't play well. I enjoyed the hockey, but I would have loved to see them WIN. I love UC hockey and am a season ticket holder. I love to see them win. I am about to say something that will make some people question me but here it goes. I would gladly pay more to see UC hockey. I would gladly pay tripple the Season ticket cost and then some. Why you may ask. Well I love to see the support of the local fans chear on our local college, with some local tallent. There are many times I went to UC games and they announced it a sell out and there were plenty of empty seats. There are alot of season Ticket holders that don't attend the games. All the games I had a chance to get too, the holders next to me did not show, EVER! Our local kids deserve to hear the fans of a sold out venue chear them on. I am one of them. I didn't go to all the games. Not even half. But I would pay more to get my butt off the couch and go. Or make it a point to get my tickets to friends or family to enjoy.
As for AHL Hockey. I love it. I travel to Syr (in the past) just to see a bit more exciting Hockey. But the games get over late and it's quite a drive to get back home. I see it this way. If there is a chance for AHL in Utica, Lets do it. But you have to have a winning team. If it doesnt win. They won't come. UC would not be drawing in the crouds that they have if they were last in the ECAC. Its a sad fact.
Half the teams win and half the teams lose every night in the ahl. Everyone must remember this is a feeder league to the parent club. The organizations sole intent is to not put a winner on the ice. Take it for what's its worth. It's kids on the cusp and fighting for their chance to become nhlers. Kids we see on tv hopefully in the future. The passion of ahl hockey is unrivaled.
moving parts

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>Half the teams win and half the teams lose every night in the ahl. Everyone must remember this is a feeder league to the parent club. The organizations sole intent is to not put a winner on the ice. Take it for what's its worth. It's kids on the cusp and fighting for their chance to become nhlers. Kids we see on tv hopefully in the future. The passion of ahl hockey is unrivaled.
Nobody is gonna put an AHL team on the ice unless they can turn a decent profit! To suggest AHL teams don't make money or are not concerned about such undermines the whole purpose. If profitability was the goal, why did the Flames move around so much?

I'm not against profits but I think it's virtually impossible without taxpayer subsidies. Especially here of all places. Comparing the dynamics of UC hockey to AHL is like comparing apples and oranges. The bottom line is that the college hockey model works and has been proven time and time again. It's the best bang for the buck . People like myself are sick of Utica fly by night hockey franchises that can't sustain themselves.

Level 4

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

moving parts wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody is gonna put an AHL team on the ice unless they can turn a decent profit! To suggest AHL teams don't make money or are not concerned about such undermines the whole purpose. If profitability was the goal, why did the Flames move around so much?
I'm not against profits but I think it's virtually impossible without taxpayer subsidies. Especially here of all places. Comparing the dynamics of UC hockey to AHL is like comparing apples and oranges. The bottom line is that the college hockey model works and has been proven time and time again. It's the best bang for the buck . People like myself are sick of Utica fly by night hockey franchises that can't sustain themselves.
Why have the flames moved? The same reason that 90 % of ahl teams have changed affiliations within the past five years. They are always looking for the best deal they can. Do the ahl franchises try to make money? Of course they do. So many people don't realize it's two separate entities. Some clubs like the devils have the only responsibility to the Albany devils of just supplying players and Coaching staff including training personel and equipment. Of course travel as well. That's where it stops. Everything else is paid for by the Albany franchise. Does New Jersey have any benefit from memorabilia sales...sure anything that's copyrighted and protected by them. Do they get a piece of Albany devils merchandise? Absolutely not. That logo is owned by the Albany franchise. Do they get a piece of the concessions? Absolutely not. Do they get a portion of the gate? Currently they do.

People forget these are two separate entities and its frustrating trying to explain it all the time. If the ownership group and the fans prove once again we are viable as an ahl market...sure the flames may leave..,but with the right deal another team will be willing to slide right in to provide players. Right now in abbotsford the travel costs are ridiculous for the flames organization. It's not an abbotsford issue other than their location. Right now the flames have to fly to every game they play on the road. There is absolutely zero teams they can bus to. Also, in the current deal they are required to pay the travel costs for teams traveling within their division that travel to abbotsford. They are by far the most traveled team in the ahl. That's extremely expensive for the flames organization. More travel also decreases rest and practice time. Since abbotsford inception that team has spent the most "man days" with played on the injured list. They have an absolutely brutal travel schedule and an absolutely brutal travel budget.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

215 Users are viewing the Utica Forum right now

Search the Utica Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 11 min Ha Ha 6,361
A request to Riggies 13 min HEY CLOWN 22
Taylor and crook 19 min Bobby O Lies and Riggies 86
Gnatek Cancel the bus 21 min Bobby O Lies and Riggies 19
WKTV's new broadcast desk 22 min hey 44
Steet Ponte VW Service Dept (Dec '11) 22 min HEY CLOWN 57
#boycottbaggssquare 24 min Bobby O Lies and Riggies 39
Golfers- where do you play and why 1 hr Sam Rothstein 35
•••