|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Check out the AHL ticket prices in the Northeast. Rochester is lowest at $12, but that is a subsidized cost. Take out Rochester,( Im not willing to pay for your ticket), and the average AHL ticket is $20. Don't agree? Google it!
The MV does not have the disposable income to afford thst cost.
I did google it and its not 25 dollars for an average.. Here in Albany the single game ticket prices are 16.50 to 25.00. 13.50 to 20.00 if you're a child or senior. The adirondack phantoms range from 12.00 to 30.00. Binghampton ranges from 12.00 to 19.00. Syracuse ranges from 15.20 to 25.20.

I would say if the ticket prices when this team comes are too high for someone's budget then stay home. That's your right to do so. I will also say that if the difference between a 5.00 ticket and a 12.00 ticket is budget blowing, that particular person shouldn't be spending any money on watching a hockey game. You should be saving your money or continue watching the UC Pioneers games and leave the ahl team alone.

And for anyone thinking there's not disposable income in the utica region....all I can do is lol.

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Btw. The ticket prices for a movie at the marquee cinema are 6.50 to 11.75. Thats a movie that generally lasts around 90 minutes. This same you could watch at home with as many viewers as you want a couple of months later for what....2 bucks out of the redbox? Yet they stay in business and are profitable. Lol
The new team will be affordable but expecting them to fail because it will cost more than college hockey where their costs are considerably less (the product is considerably less too) is ludicrous. Again if the new teams pricing is too high for anyone's budget...stay home but don't shoot this team down even before the first puck is dropped. See you at the aud this fall!
recycled parts

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Utica34 wrote:
Btw. The ticket prices for a movie at the marquee cinema are 6.50 to 11.75. Thats a movie that generally lasts around 90 minutes. This same you could watch at home with as many viewers as you want a couple of months later for what....2 bucks out of the redbox? Yet they stay in business and are profitable. Lol
The new team will be affordable but expecting them to fail because it will cost more than college hockey where their costs are considerably less (the product is considerably less too) is ludicrous. Again if the new teams pricing is too high for anyone's budget...stay home but don't shoot this team down even before the first puck is dropped. See you at the aud this fall!
You seem rather full of yourself and have quite the snooty and condescending attitude. I have to see anyone wishing failure here. I think you're taking it a bit too personal for whatever reason. What I do see is valid dialogue that must be had. For a family of 4, the $5 ticket is huge. It gives them the opportunity to have some extra cash to afford concessions. Not everyone was born with a silver spoon or is well off. I have a marketing research background and know local demographics within 50-100 miles and we are by far the overall poorest in NYS.
Wow

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
I did google it and its not 25 dollars for an average.. Here in Albany the single game ticket prices are 16.50 to 25.00. 13.50 to 20.00 if you're a child or senior. The adirondack phantoms range from 12.00 to 30.00. Binghampton ranges from 12.00 to 19.00. Syracuse ranges from 15.20 to 25.20.
I would say if the ticket prices when this team comes are too high for someone's budget then stay home. That's your right to do so. I will also say that if the difference between a 5.00 ticket and a 12.00 ticket is budget blowing, that particular person shouldn't be spending any money on watching a hockey game. You should be saving your money or continue watching the UC Pioneers games and leave the ahl team alone.
And for anyone thinking there's not disposable income in the utica region....all I can do is lol.
Wow at those prices I may be able to make one or two games a year (and I make a good wage)... I really hope they can get ticket prices down to the $8 to $12 range.
Utica Prowler

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Maybe Kevin MacDonald can sue another franchise by acting stupid........ errrr ... more stupid(if that is possible).
Kelly

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Sounds good and I for one am excited. There is nothing to do in this city in the winter. At least we'll have minor league hockey.
yes

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>

There are upper middle class people in Utica that can and will afford tickets. They just aren't on Topix yapping idiocy. They are too busy working.
Really

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Look up the Calgary Flames AHL history

In 2003 they were in New Foundland
In 2005 they were in Mass
In 2007 they were in Nebraska
In 2009 they were in Illinois

Today they are in British Columbia and supposedly in talks with a group from Utica NY discussing whether they should break their contract with their current city and move to Utica.

Does this sound like a perfect match for our city that currently enjoys a relationship with Utica College, the D-3 Hockey team that leads the nation in attendance, and currently in first place with the best overall record, and provides AFFORDABLE family entertainment?
recycled parts

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

yes wrote:
<quoted text>There are upper middle class people in Utica that can and will afford tickets. They just aren't on Topix yapping idiocy. They are too busy working.
And how do explain yourself for being here? I highly doubt your beneath these classes yapping for them.
Ticket prices

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

The majority of arguements on here are about the sustainability of the team because of $20-$25 ticket prices. Everyone is griping saying that people don't have the extra income to attend games. Well if that's the case how is it that nearly every restaurant in the area, local and chains, are packed on the weekends. Try and find a parking spot at the cinemas on the weekends...movie, popcorn, soda...easily $20.

Check out Varick St in the summers...packed.

Why all the negativity? If you're still using teams from 20 years ago to base your arguements then it's pretty week. The investors aren't going to do this if they're going to lose money. They've done research to make sure this is viable.
Sgt Shultz

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

My UC season tickets cost me the same amount it would cost to take a family of four to one AHL game. A pro team will never have financial sustainability in Utica. There simply isn't income base in this area anymore. UC works because its affordable.
stability

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Ticket prices wrote:
The majority of arguements on here are about the sustainability of the team because of $20-$25 ticket prices. Everyone is griping saying that people don't have the extra income to attend games. Well if that's the case how is it that nearly every restaurant in the area, local and chains, are packed on the weekends. Try and find a parking spot at the cinemas on the weekends...movie, popcorn, soda...easily $20.
Check out Varick St in the summers...packed.
Why all the negativity? If you're still using teams from 20 years ago to base your arguements then it's pretty week. The investors aren't going to do this if they're going to lose money. They've done research to make sure this is viable.
Utica College provides great and affordable family entertainment every year. Didn't you see Calgary history of moving every time the ice melts? All so willing to break their contract.
Fan

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Excellent. The myopic citizens of Utica who present themselves as positive and ridicule the realistic, get excited over anything coming to this area...... Olive Garden, Bass pro Shops, an AHL team......yet their memories are short. When there are winners, there must be losers, people. Who loses when OG comes to town? Bella Cucina. Who loses when Bass comes? Herb's. Who loses when the AHL comes? UC. People, the same fans who attend UC hockey won't be able to attend another game or two a week. It's inevitable. What pisses me off is the politicians give these investors tax breaks (at our expense), the organization comes here, and if they fail (as hockey has and will), the taxpayers are stuck holding the tax bag. Do we Uticans ever learn? We need real businesses that employ high paid people. We have enough hockey.

Really wrote:
Look up the Calgary Flames AHL history
In 2003 they were in New Foundland
In 2005 they were in Mass
In 2007 they were in Nebraska
In 2009 they were in Illinois
Today they are in British Columbia and supposedly in talks with a group from Utica NY discussing whether they should break their contract with their current city and move to Utica.
Does this sound like a perfect match for our city that currently enjoys a relationship with Utica College, the D-3 Hockey team that leads the nation in attendance, and currently in first place with the best overall record, and provides AFFORDABLE family entertainment?

Level 4

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

recycled parts wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem rather full of yourself and have quite the snooty and condescending attitude. I have to see anyone wishing failure here. I think you're taking it a bit too personal for whatever reason. What I do see is valid dialogue that must be had. For a family of 4, the $5 ticket is huge. It gives them the opportunity to have some extra cash to afford concessions. Not everyone was born with a silver spoon or is well off. I have a marketing research background and know local demographics within 50-100 miles and we are by far the overall poorest in NYS.
Not full of myself at all. If someone feels they can't afford the games then stay home. Quite simple. Some people drive lexus' and some people drive kias. It's that simple.
Truth B With U

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

First of all, private industry wouldn't come here for the simple fact that we lack skilled workers when it comes to the latest manufacturing technologies.

On the other hand, fostering partnerships between our local colleges and private industry is the key to turning CNY around. This is no secret.

UC provides a tremendous opportunity to attract and retain talented student athletes. Instead, we have many people who are being educated here and leaving because of a lack of career opportunities.

You can try to polish a turd-but it's still a turd. Until an overall comprehensive plan gets put in place, these pipe dream ventures will continue to come and go at the expense of the taxpayers.

I gather most here are all for professional hockey as well, but there is the reality dimension. I'm the last person who wants to say that I told you so. But, as great of an idea as AHL hockey is, my gut instinct is telling me otherwise. Sorry if that's bothersome.

UC hockey fits into my life. With games being every other weekend, it allows me to travel, ski and still fit hockey in without having to question as a season ticket holder, if I got my monies worth.

The quality of play is fantastic and the fans are enthusiastic. I will not support AHL hockey for the simple fact that it will require a greater time commitment on my part to see it work and additional financial resources which I choose to allocate towards other family activities.

In my opinion, UC hockey is the perfect fit for our area. There is no doubt, UC will be forced in to building a new home and somebody is going to make out big here. That's where I'm going to be focusing my attention. I believe this initiative is being pushed by a handful of individuals who may be well intended, but will profit off the continual demise of our community.

All the more reason, a comprehensive regional plan is essential which includes overthrowing Albany! I know that's wishful, but definitely needed.

Level 4

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Truth B With U wrote:
First of all, private industry wouldn't come here for the simple fact that we lack skilled workers when it comes to the latest manufacturing technologies.
On the other hand, fostering partnerships between our local colleges and private industry is the key to turning CNY around. This is no secret.
UC provides a tremendous opportunity to attract and retain talented student athletes. Instead, we have many people who are being educated here and leaving because of a lack of career opportunities.
You can try to polish a turd-but it's still a turd. Until an overall comprehensive plan gets put in place, these pipe dream ventures will continue to come and go at the expense of the taxpayers.
I gather most here are all for professional hockey as well, but there is the reality dimension. I'm the last person who wants to say that I told you so. But, as great of an idea as AHL hockey is, my gut instinct is telling me otherwise. Sorry if that's bothersome.
UC hockey fits into my life. With games being every other weekend, it allows me to travel, ski and still fit hockey in without having to question as a season ticket holder, if I got my monies worth.
The quality of play is fantastic and the fans are enthusiastic. I will not support AHL hockey for the simple fact that it will require a greater time commitment on my part to see it work and additional financial resources which I choose to allocate towards other family activities.
In my opinion, UC hockey is the perfect fit for our area. There is no doubt, UC will be forced in to building a new home and somebody is going to make out big here. That's where I'm going to be focusing my attention. I believe this initiative is being pushed by a handful of individuals who may be well intended, but will profit off the continual demise of our community.
All the more reason, a comprehensive regional plan is essential which includes overthrowing Albany! I know that's wishful, but definitely needed.
With this school of thought I guess nothing should ever progress except socially and tax driven programs. Yes, keep out the AHL because they are a "for profit" organization. Oh the horror.
UticaHockey

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

Fan wrote:
Excellent. The myopic citizens of Utica who present themselves as positive and ridicule the realistic, get excited over anything coming to this area...... Olive Garden, Bass pro Shops, an AHL team......yet their memories are short. When there are winners, there must be losers, people. Who loses when OG comes to town? Bella Cucina. Who loses when Bass comes? Herb's. Who loses when the AHL comes? UC. People, the same fans who attend UC hockey won't be able to attend another game or two a week. It's inevitable. What pisses me off is the politicians give these investors tax breaks (at our expense), the organization comes here, and if they fail (as hockey has and will), the taxpayers are stuck holding the tax bag. Do we Uticans ever learn? We need real businesses that employ high paid people. We have enough hockey.
<quoted text>
What is wrong with having options for how we spend our money? When something new comes to the area such as Olive Garden, Bass Pro Shops and now AHL hockey certainly they are going to compete with the established business that already exist here. Competition is a good thing.

People in this area complain all the time how there is nothing to do here. There is no question that this area needs more high paying jobs. This is one of the main reasons why some of the national chains have not invested in the Utica area because economically this is a depressed area.

The question should be can Utica support AHL hockey not whether can Utica support both AHL hockey and UC hockey. UC is division 3 hockey which is not meant to be run like a business anyway. Most division 3 hockey teams play out of small, unheated youth hockey rinks and are not in existence to turn a profit or draw big crowds. Hobart plays out of a dump of a rink in Geneva that I have been to for youth hockey. Manhattanville seats about 500 total.

The argument that this will hurt UC hockey just doesn't make sense to me because UC will still play in the best facility in the ECAC West and will still likely lead their league in attendance even if it does fall a bit. They won't be going anywhere because division 3 hockey is not a business that requires 3000 paid spectators per game to survive.

I'm not looking at this venture with rose colored glasses on either. I have serious doubts that this area economically can support this level of professional sports but I am not willing to write it off as a failure in the making. I'm excited about it and hope that it will be a success. Utica needs something to be proud of and more people like Rob Esche willing to take a chance on this area again.
Plus

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

We shall see. Utica College isn't going anywhere. It's not like they can leave Utica. So just calm down everyone.
Coop

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

I can afford the tickets. That's all I care about. Maybe lighten up on the booze and McDonalds and you could afford them too.
hockey fan

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Judged:

ragarding ticket prices (comparing UC with the AHL).Is simply rediculous !! The AHL is the 2nd best league in the WORLD and you can't compare the AHL with any D3 hockey team.That'why the tix cost more.Believe me,we (Utica) are extremely lucky to get the AHL...Please welcome and support this team or go and watch D3 hockey.Once you watch an AHL game you'll never go to a UC game again.The differance is like pop warner vs. The NY Giants !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of92
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

242 Users are viewing the Utica Forum right now

Search the Utica Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
corn hill 43 min Sparky the Dog 3
clarky 46 min Mr Poopy Drawers 3
Homewreckers 49 min katiedid112 33
I cannot listen to Jason Powles any longer... (May '13) 52 min Daniel 122
thank you topix 57 min Yogurt Stands and Riggies 18
Utica Ranked 851st 1 hr Yogurt Stands and Riggies 7
Matt Sullivan's $60,000.00 Paycheck-Irish Cultu... (Feb '13) 1 hr Matt 302
•••
•••