The United States Postal Service

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
hmm

Utica, NY

#1 Apr 14, 2013
why is it that ""FED Express"" DHL""" UPS""""mak es money from shipping "packages " and only packages""" and they make money....and the united states postal service,, makes zero no money and charge more money for stamps and sending mail,,, how do they not make money
hank hill

Meriden, CT

#2 Apr 14, 2013
Mail isnt reliable anymore either, sent a little guy a birthday card over a month ago, he still hasn't gotten it. Maybe thats why ppl ship via UPS and FED EX.
HERES WHY

Geneva, NY

#3 Apr 14, 2013
hmm wrote:
why is it that ""FED Express"" DHL""" UPS""""mak es money from shipping "packages " and only packages""" and they make money....and the united states postal service,, makes zero no money and charge more money for stamps and sending mail,,, how do they not make money
Because the USPS was very, VERY good to its employees for a VERY LONG time before the internet sealed its fate, and will continue to be generous-in the form of pensions-to older former employees who retired out of the Post Office, until they've all died off. But newer employees who retire from the USPS won't have it so good, that's if the USPS is still in its existence as we know it when these younger employees get to retirement age. This younger crop of employees are all under different, less generous contracts than their predecessors were guaranteed. I see UPS and FedEX trucks going up and down my rural road EVERY day delivering packages of merchandise no doubt purchased and shipped online. Couple that fact with online bill paying, emails which all but caused the personal, handwritten and stamped letter to become obsolete, and skyrocketing health care costs, and you have a business model that would be totally unsustainable if the USPS were a private company.

Its UNBELIEVEABLE that Congress now WON'T LET the USPS get rid of Saturday mail delivery in order to save billions of $$$ per year at a time when the Post Office is gushing red ink and has been for years now. Totally unacceptable! You know why?? The United States Post Office is a US INSTITUTION and heaven forbid one delivery day per week be eliminated just to save money! We HAVE TO keep up appearances, don't we?? I don't know about the rest of you but I don't NEED to receive BILLS six days a week!!! I predict that the USPS will go the way of the dinosaurs, probably much sooner than later because Congress won't trim that ONE delivery day per week.
Shipwreck Lady

Syracuse, NY

#4 Apr 15, 2013
Thirty dollars to ship three pillows - CAN YOU SAY F-DAT!
Terry

Utica, NY

#5 Apr 15, 2013
Shipwreck Lady wrote:
Thirty dollars to ship three pillows - CAN YOU SAY F-DAT!
So, go & BUY the freakn pillows in the city you're mailing to instead of SHIPPING them there!!!
Citizen

Walnut Springs, TX

#6 Apr 19, 2013
The biggest financial problem that USPS is that they made an agreement with 911 addressing. And because 911 addressing officials can not be held accountable for making wrong addresses. The USPS is double handling packages and mail items thus doubling their cost for delivering the packages and letters. Then the postal patrons stop sending mail to many locations because they are afraid of losing their money on the shipping and their profit on the sale. UPS, FED-EX, DHL,and many other companies do not stop delivery and return packages just because of an address conflict with a 911 address and a ligitamate street address. USPS Post Master's are returning the mail that they took an oath to deliver simply because it does not carry the latest 911 address even though they have delivered letters and packages to the address on the letter and they know where that address is located. Local 911 addressing officials are primarily to blame for the USPS's indebtedness due to their incompetences that are going unchecked by our government on all levels. This recession was started by this criminal behavior, and it is the reason people have lost all confidence in the USPS employees to do their jobs, and that is to deliver the mail. 911 addressing was implemented to help make our country safer, but for the most part it has only led to making places less safe and more broke. When you place names on places that are confusing and that are not liked you get what you wanted CHAOS. You can not make money in the delivery business if you can not guarentee delivery.
Citizen

Walnut Springs, TX

#7 Apr 19, 2013
The Phone companies are having the same problems that the USPS is having and it's all because they went to bed with the local 911 addressing officials. People have cut off their landline phones simply due to a bad address. And the less phones the more cost each customer has to pay for. And the really sad thing is the less landline phones the more unsafe rural areas become. And cell phones are no good in rural areas because most Rural Area people cannot afford to have a cell phone. So! The cell phone companies tend to not put up enough towers to make them viable to use and even less identifiable to 911 operators to locate. 911 addresses were supposed to be issued with a relavence for safety in mind but all they have done because the government is too pig-headed to co-operate with it's citizens over some desk-jockeys very fancy plan is less safety than if they had actually done nothing, and the red ink at USPS and the demise of the landline phones in most rural areas. The government is too stubborn to realize the real culprits in this recession and that is the local 911 addressing officials.
hank hill

Sioux Falls, SD

#8 Apr 19, 2013
I'd just be satisfied with their service if they could manage to get a damn card from Kentucky to Albany. I didn't realize I was asking so much of them when I dropped it in the mailbox over a month ago.
Citizen

Walnut Springs, TX

#9 Apr 19, 2013
The reason you can not get a post card or any other mail piece is because USPS IS MORE CONCERNED AS TO WHETHER YOU USED A 911 ADDRESS THAN THEY ARE ABOUT DELIVERING YOUR MAIL. The USPS serves only 911 addresses and that even includes 911 addresses that do not receive mail. Even addresses where the property owner tells them that they will be considered trepassing are still listed as valid addresses because the 911 officials gave them a phony address. I personally think that the federal government should shut down the USPS IF they do not start delivering the mail regardless of these criminal addresses being issued by 911 officials. The federal government says that they do not deal with terrorist or condone their acts. Then please explain your support of 911 addressing officials attacking the citizens over their damn address. What do you think is causing the USPS to go broke. It's bad policy and illegal addressing that is breaking our economy. I used to mail thirty letters a week, but now I average only one. Because I do not trust the USPS to delivery any letters. I pay my bills online or go there personally. The county governments are the ones to blame. They made up these stupid unsafe addresses and refuse to correct them. And now the states are going after E-commerce for tax's because the business has grown since UPS doesnt uphold these stinking assigned addresses and uses the real names of the roads. I do not use my assigned address because I consider it to be an act of fraud and disrepectful to the men and women who actually named and made these roads long before these criminals were ever born. 911 officials could have hired the stupidest animal that they could find and they would have done a better job.
hank hill

Sioux Falls, SD

#10 Apr 19, 2013
I did use a valid 911 address. I've sent the little guy a couple of postcards before with no problems. This was his birthday card. It was addressed properly, had a stamp on it and was dropped in a us mailbox. Not much more I could do to comply with their requirements, since those are their only requirements.
Prisons And Round Abouts

Schenectady, NY

#11 Apr 19, 2013
The USPS is losing 25 million a day.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/post...
Citizen

Hemphill, TX

#12 Apr 22, 2013
I am afraid that you do not understand what is going on. The local USPS offices and your local 911 addressing officials in most rural areas at least are doing their own enforcement of 911 addressing and some of this is outside of the actual law. And if you complain about what they are doing that is not right they attack you through 911 addressing abuse. If a road has a name under state law the county 911 officials do not have any right to change the roads name under the law. Secondly, the federal USPS does not have any policy that allows for the local USPS office to return mail except when the address is not known. Most of the mail today is simply being returned because the local post master has made a decision to do so and usually at the request of one of the 911 local addressing officials and not because there is any law that makes them do it. They are doing it by choice and as an end result they are not delivering the mail, but disrupting the economy and breaking the federal United States Post Office. So! when postal employees complain about their benefits then you can only blame these individual Post Masters who have actually taken it upon themselves to listen to local officials and are allowing them to interfere with the delivery of the United States Mail which means that the number one mission of the USPS by law is being ignored. And what makes you think that if a USPS Post Master is willing to break the law for a public official that ignoring one little post card is going to upset him any more than intentionally not delivering hundreds and in some cases thousands of letters each day of the United States Mail. Any which way you look at it whether you think that they are right or wrong the USPS is no longer in the business of delivering the mail. They are now nothing more than a political tool for local officials under the guise of 911 addressing so called rules in which they are actually not in compliance with. When is it that are federal congressmen and Senators going to see what they are doing whether they understand the end result or not they are abusing the rules and the laws for personal reasons and are destroying our economy in the process. My great uncle was a United States Post Master and he said that there is no good reason that he could think of as to why they are refusing to deliver any mail, and that included the use of any silly address. If you know the person or they came and told you their address and even if the government didn't have it on the list. You put it on the list and went on to deliver the mail. We both think that the USPS has allowed itself to be corrupted.
Citizen

Hemphill, TX

#13 Apr 23, 2013
The USPS.COM web site says that they deliver to every mailbox. Well this is a lie because I know for a fact that my local post office refuses to deliver to any mailbox that doesn't have a 911 address. So! That means the USPS.COM website is committing fraud.
What R U Bellyachin About

Livingston, NJ

#14 Apr 23, 2013
Citizen wrote:
The USPS.COM web site says that they deliver to every mailbox. Well this is a lie because I know for a fact that my local post office refuses to deliver to any mailbox that doesn't have a 911 address. So! That means the USPS.COM website is committing fraud.
WOW!!! Lots of complaining from mostly just YOU on this thread. WHAT exactly is your problem and WHAT is it about your property address that is causing you so much stress and to hate the US Postal Service so passionately?? When I first bought my home in late 1998, Herkimer County hadn't installed its 911 center yet. So my home, which is on a rural road 4 miles outside the village of Herkimer, had a different house number at the time, which is still the address on all of my mortgage loan and closing paperwork from 1998.

A few years later the 911 center had been built and all of the house numbers on my road and I beleive all of the other rural roads in the county were changed so that homes would be easier to locate in the event there was an emergency call made from the home to summon fire, police and/or paramedic responders. The name of MY ROAD wasn't changed--why would it have been?? Are you saying that your house number-AND-ROAD NAME were changed?? If so, I can't imagine why YOUR raod name would have been changed. THAT makes no sense.
What R U Bellyachin About

Livingston, NJ

#15 Apr 23, 2013
Citizen wrote:
The USPS.COM web site says that they deliver to every mailbox. Well this is a lie because I know for a fact that my local post office refuses to deliver to any mailbox that doesn't have a 911 address. So! That means the USPS.COM website is committing fraud.
HOW is it possible, in this day and age, that your property does not have a 911-compatible address?? Are you living in a recreational vehicle or some other non-permanent-type structure on a parcel of land that doesn't have and hasn't had a permanent home structure on it?? That type of situation would make sense if the USPS won't deliver mail to your property. If so, get a P.O. Box at your local Post Office--they're cheap and you pay only once a year.
Sick of it

Utica, NY

#16 Apr 23, 2013
I have a 911 address & my mail almost always ends up around the block!
Citizen

Hemphill, TX

#17 Apr 23, 2013
You are not getting my point at all.The U.S. Post Office Station here does not deliver to addresses that are not 911 addresses. So! Their statement is a lie and someone could even interpret it as being fraud. They do not deliver United States mail to every mailbox, they return the mail that does not have a 911 address on it here, unless your someone of authority like a judge.
Citizen

Hemphill, TX

#18 Apr 23, 2013
What R U Bellyachin About wrote:
<quoted text> WOW!!! Lots of complaining from mostly just YOU on this thread. WHAT exactly is your problem and WHAT is it about your property address that is causing you so much stress and to hate the US Postal Service so passionately?? When I first bought my home in late 1998, Herkimer County hadn't installed its 911 center yet. So my home, which is on a rural road 4 miles outside the village of Herkimer, had a different house number at the time, which is still the address on all of my mortgage loan and closing paperwork from 1998.
A few years later the 911 center had been built and all of the house numbers on my road and I beleive all of the other rural roads in the county were changed so that homes would be easier to locate in the event there was an emergency call made from the home to summon fire, police and/or paramedic responders. The name of MY ROAD wasn't changed--why would it have been?? Are you saying that your house number-AND-ROAD NAME were changed?? If so, I can't imagine why YOUR raod name would have been changed. THAT makes no sense.
Thats exactly my point. I do not have a beef with the USPS, I just do not think that they know what every one of their Post Offices are doing. Interfering with the delivery of the mail is a crime, and I do not understand how the USPS is letting a non-governmental corporation do what it is doing.
hank hill

Washington, DC

#19 Apr 23, 2013
In some cases...they don't deliver the shit at all! I get your point, I'm also pissed off that they still haven't delivered the friggen card I mailed out over a month and a half ago!!
Citizen

Whitney, TX

#20 Jun 19, 2013
They haven't delivered the card probably because it has a legit address and they are not concerned with it since it is addressed properly in their opinion, and they are overly concerned with stopping their employees from delivering mail that does not bear a 911 address. The 911 authorities here in my neck of the woods are destroying the economy and causing inflation as well as destroying all delivery systems that involve an address for communications. Your card not being delivered is just a by product of a system doing the wrong thing for presumably the right reason. 911 addressing officials in East Texas at least are either committing fraud or causing fraud to be committed and are profitting from it, and destroying the safety and general welfare of our citizens. The USPS problem is that they are co-operating with a group of people who are hell-bent on forcing bad addresses on people and who could care less who, what, where, when, and why its not working or even if it's legal. It seems that it is legal because they say so and does not matter about the law. Your problem to them would be collaterall damage and not very important. Unless the State of Texas and the rest of UNITED States wakes up to this insignificant issue, our economy will continue to falter. If you can not deliver something from one place to another without squabbling over the address, then the economy will go under or you will be responsible for creating a black market outside of the governments authority.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Most liberals have a low IQ 36 min No longer 14
Carbone auto group 41 min IveBeenCarboned 17
What Song Are You Listening To Right Now? (Sep '11) 7 hr KY WELLER 422
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) 8 hr area resident 631
state testing 13 hr hooray 65
Love 13 hr truth 5
Movers & moving companies (Jul '13) 14 hr cum laude 31
WKTV-Smith Thu Duke 12
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]