WOUR - The Joke Of Central N.Y.

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
deepend

Liverpool, NY

#1 Jul 9, 2008
Ed Levine couldn't beat them , so he bought them.

Remembering the day's of Peter Hirsch / Bill Houser , in the morning , Tom Starr ( 10 - 2 ), and of course " The Dr. " Jerry Kraus ( 2 - 7 ).

From it's day's at The Mayro Bldg , on Bank Pl. in downtown .

Of course there is always change , but WOUR became the Rock 107 of the new millenium , including moving their office's to Kellogg Rd.

R.I.P. WOUR

PS " The Bob & Tom Show " , makes " Gomez & Dave " look like wannabe's , that never will be ...
Marconi

Utica, NY

#2 Jul 10, 2008
I thought their name was Gomer & Slave?
Either way, the great heritage that was W O U R is now gone. It is now a Syracuse radio staion, just like Krock has been for the last 20yrs. Why do you think the Krock-a-Bland is held 100 miles away? If you are a Utica area advertiser, advertising on the Krock-a-Bland, you are an idiot. Spanky Levine and his ew York City money people don't give 2 crapinsky's about the Utica area. Washington ills is nothing more than a repeater for TK99 and Syracuse. All of their talent lives,works and pays taxes in Syracuse. What a sin. Where has all the Utica area talent gone.
Jerry

Flushing, NY

#3 May 13, 2010
when was the last time 96.9 had a good band, they don't eveb play good music any more. who they gonna get "blue oyster cult"? maybe great white? if its a huge band, maybe just maybe the got kip winger! yes!
real rock

Utica, NY

#4 May 13, 2010
Jerry wrote:
when was the last time 96.9 had a good band, they don't eveb play good music any more. who they gonna get "blue oyster cult"? maybe great white? if its a huge band, maybe just maybe the got kip winger! yes!
you're right Jerry WOUR Hasn't played rock since the new owners (the ones who use to own wrck) took over. and started play the Rock 107 format on the 96.9 freq. I now listen to 92.7 for my rock music. they play new,old and everything inbetween just like WOUR USED to
starman

Syracuse, NY

#5 May 13, 2010
WOUR is cool im a bigger fan of 92.7 the drive but i bounce between the 2 of em between comercials.
Howard Stern

Ithaca, NY

#6 May 13, 2010
They all just want to be like HOWARD anyway they are all rip offs..
and as for Terrestrial Radio it is DEAD.
SIRIUS XM is the best 12 bucks a month I spend.
it has everything and more and NO COMMERCIALS on the music channels..
Satelite Radio is the only way to go.
Publius

Ogdensburg, NY

#7 May 13, 2010
The saddest thing about WOUR & its present-day ilk is that, in an age when it is ridiculously easy to acquire interesting music, they can fit their entire week's playlist on a 1st-generation iPod Shuffle. Tell me: Does a higher-functioning adult who was around in 1976 really want to listen to "More Than A Feeling" and "Don't Fear The Reaper" every single day from 2000 to 2010? Sheesh. And you have to feel for the innocent employees -- such relentless exposure probably violates two or three different OSHA regulations and the Geneva Conventions.

Some of the older folks here will remember the days when a DJ could sit down and play whatever he wanted -- in fact, you judged them on their taste in that regard. Man, is that quaint custom long gone!

The Blue Moon Cafe rules, though -- best radio show in Central NY. Hope they never give that up.
Good Ole Days

Auburn, NY

#8 May 13, 2010
Hirsh and Houser's hot pajama pics on the air!! I do miss good radio...
cornholio

Champlain, NY

#9 May 13, 2010
Good Ole Days wrote:
Hirsh and Houser's hot pajama pics on the air!! I do miss good radio...
You got that right!
Taxpayer

New York, NY

#10 May 14, 2010
Marconi wrote:
I thought their name was Gomer & Slave?
Either way, the great heritage that was W O U R is now gone. It is now a Syracuse radio staion, just like Krock has been for the last 20yrs. Why do you think the Krock-a-Bland is held 100 miles away? If you are a Utica area advertiser, advertising on the Krock-a-Bland, you are an idiot. Spanky Levine and his ew York City money people don't give 2 crapinsky's about the Utica area. Washington ills is nothing more than a repeater for TK99 and Syracuse. All of their talent lives,works and pays taxes in Syracuse. What a sin. Where has all the Utica area talent gone.
Gomez and Dave are the worst! Give them the boot. ANY music would be better tan listening to thier boring and humorless drool.
Debbie

Syracuse, NY

#11 May 14, 2010
WOUR sucks now and they sucked back then. Like someone else said, they have a grand total of 50 songs they play - over and over and over and over and over again. If you like Boston, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin + Aerosmith every hour on the hour - then yes - you'd like WOUR.
Truthteller

Syracuse, NY

#12 May 14, 2010
96.9 bringing Dickey Betts FOR FREE in Downtown Utica. Bad day for the haters!
unbelievable

Syracuse, NY

#13 May 14, 2010
Truthteller wrote:
96.9 bringing Dickey Betts FOR FREE in Downtown Utica. Bad day for the haters!
WOW, that was their BIG free concert announcement. Dickey Betts Ha Ha Ha. you would have to pay me to go see that old washed up musician.
ummmm

Syracuse, NY

#14 May 14, 2010
yeah..did you see the post below declaring motley crue the greatest band ever? that dude is your "common man" not the music elite snobs (and i am a music elite snob)
Little Dicky Betts

Syracuse, NY

#15 May 14, 2010
Are you Kidding me? That's what LaVines dream team in Syracuse thinks Utica is worth? Dicky Betts?!? What happened, Eddie Money busy??
What a shame, here is W O UR's daily line up.
Gomez & Fluffy, FROM SYRACUSE Let's win a free detail from a Syracuse bodyshop, LOL
DAVE What's his name? FROM SYRACUSE
Genee Joe, recorded at noon in Washingtomb Mills.
And they play the '70's soft rock collection they bought on late night TV from Time Warner Books. But they do get a new disk every month, with FREE Shipping.

I listen local, I listen to rock, I listen to 92.7 The drive
Truthteller

Syracuse, NY

#16 May 14, 2010
Little Dicky Betts wrote:
Are you Kidding me? That's what LaVines dream team in Syracuse thinks Utica is worth? Dicky Betts?!? What happened, Eddie Money busy??
What a shame, here is W O UR's daily line up.
Gomez & Fluffy, FROM SYRACUSE Let's win a free detail from a Syracuse bodyshop, LOL
DAVE What's his name? FROM SYRACUSE
Genee Joe, recorded at noon in Washingtomb Mills.
And they play the '70's soft rock collection they bought on late night TV from Time Warner Books. But they do get a new disk every month, with FREE Shipping.
I listen local, I listen to rock, I listen to 92.7 The drive
You're the one listener! With a 1.9 rating share, listen a lot because they wont be around much longer. No ratings ,no money ,no concerts and 90 year old guys taping shows on the air. Nice!
Kens Toupee

Ithaca, NY

#17 May 14, 2010
Bringing up the ratings only show your from the competition and are scared. You know your product in inferior so you try to tear the other guy down. WOUR's time is over, thank Ed for that one! The Drive is'nt perfect but it's better then then Syracuse personalities being piped in from Cuse. G and D have no connection to the area and it shows in thier "witty" banter day to day as they interview the same guests every week. Ed scored with the Syracuse sports games that's the only thing keeping the station afloat. As for Keeler I have been a long time listener and have found that he not only has the funny "pranks" and interviews his show is the only one that really digs into local inssues. I have never heard Mayor Roefaro, Mike Arcuri, Joe Griffo, Matt Hamill, Erin Hamlin, or any ohter person that is in the news for anything on Gomez and Dave. Well now i guess I see why the compition is bringing up ratings, I guess they don't have anything else to talk about.
Mike

Syracuse, NY

#18 May 14, 2010
If OUR is doing that bad in the ratings you'd never know it listening to all the commercials. They play 2 songs then 10 minutes of ads. Someone is buying all that airtime for their ads, and it just ain't billy fucillo ads. Overall, OUR can be shoved off a cliff.
Radioman

Utica, NY

#19 May 14, 2010
Guys, hey-WOUR still has people at the station. Genesee Joe is live, CJ is live (yes theyr track some stuff) but the studio is alive and well. Everyone, including most on 92.7 is piped in. There is still life left in radio.

Joe does live remotes, contests, the whole thing, so does CJ. If you dno't like the music, write the station and tell them, but it is still local and live
Publius

Ogdensburg, NY

#20 May 14, 2010
By all appearances, Genesee Joe is working very hard (as was Jerry Kraus when he was there) at keeping the station's local angle alive. Kudos to him for making the effort. It's just a shame that the guy is getting no help from his employer. In decades past, WOUR was "cutting edge". Sadly, the whole mainstream radio business jettisoned "edginess" for ad-driven, white-bread cynicism long ago, and now we're left with mind-numbing Rock Muzak & matching commercials spots for the 45+ demographic. Yuck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whitesboro Fire Department 2 hr ocallap 54
A third term for Obama 4 hr whyohwhy 35
breaking news: chip fab for marcy 4 hr Zak 6
Any recommendations for a travel agency? 8 hr GHR 5
Kennedy plaza 9 hr girl 3
fly a drone in my backyard 10 hr Breaking Balls Ha... 5
TOPIX is boring 10 hr nut-sack 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages