Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

therre are no special entitlements for refugees when getting financing for a purchase, it is available to all, as long as they have a green card, "new Americans" get the same as anyone, and vice versa.

we should note, that the "New Americans" have an astounding rate of success here in the Mohawk Valley..,they get jobs, save money, stay n clusters of like ethnicity...just like the immigrants of the 19th and early 20th Century..

why are they resented?...because they still value their family unit, work hard, and can pass a drug test which is required everywhere that pays more than minimum wage.
one who knows

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

mortgage lady wrote:
therre are no special entitlements for refugees when getting financing for a purchase, it is available to all, as long as they have a green card, "new Americans" get the same as anyone, and vice versa.
we should note, that the "New Americans" have an astounding rate of success here in the Mohawk Valley..,they get jobs, save money, stay n clusters of like ethnicity...just like the immigrants of the 19th and early 20th Century..
why are they resented?...because they still value their family unit, work hard, and can pass a drug test which is required everywhere that pays more than minimum wage.
The majority of these immigrants also bring their "old ways" with them. Remember the Asian refugee that hog tied his own son causing him to almost suffucate himself? What about all the Asian gangs consisting of the children of these immigrants that go around terrorizing USA citizens? They come to OUR Country - WE support them - while USA citizens can't find a job and go hungry.

Resentment? You bet - Immigrants have destroyed Utica along with all the political handouts. 90% of these immigrants refuse to learn the English language - but always know how much money they are ENTITLED to by USA citizens paying their way!!!!!!!
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

I think that anyone that truly needs help should get help with the basic necessities of life. Food, clothing, shelter and medical care are chief among those needs. I think the vast majority of people feel this way and are willing to have their tax dollars spent on the truly needy.

Things like cell phones, pets, cars, help with closing costs hardly qualify as basic needs yet the left wing pushes for more. The "walk a mile in their shoes" is nothing more than emotional rhetoric designed to justify taking from one and giving to another.

There is a point when a hand up ends and a hand out begins. Everyone has their own level of compassion. Why should the group that wants to supply cell phones, pets, cars, help with closing costs and other non-essentials tell the rest of us that we have to kick in our earnings to support their worldview?
one who knows

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Truth wrote:
I think that anyone that truly needs help should get help with the basic necessities of life. Food, clothing, shelter and medical care are chief among those needs. I think the vast majority of people feel this way and are willing to have their tax dollars spent on the truly needy.
Things like cell phones, pets, cars, help with closing costs hardly qualify as basic needs yet the left wing pushes for more. The "walk a mile in their shoes" is nothing more than emotional rhetoric designed to justify taking from one and giving to another.
There is a point when a hand up ends and a hand out begins. Everyone has their own level of compassion. Why should the group that wants to supply cell phones, pets, cars, help with closing costs and other non-essentials tell the rest of us that we have to kick in our earnings to support their worldview?
I agree with you 100% PLUS!

Our Government should establish their #1 Priority of taking care of the natural born citizens of our Country FIRST. No USA citizen should have to starve, be homeless, or those capable of working not being able to find a job because our Government has made shipping all of our businesses to foreign countries and giving them financial insinatives to do so.

Giving immigrants and the parasites that have made being fully supported by our Government without giving anything in return is morally and financially wrong. I remember the days when an immigrant wanted to come to the USA, he/she had to have a Sponser stating he/she would be responsible for the immigrant who would have a job waiting for him once he/she arrived in our Country. There was no such thing as "handouts" and these immigrants became the backbone of our Country and took pride in their hard work and the rewards of doing so.

Today, our Welfare system gives these immigrants and other Welfare receipants as many, if not more, than what hard working Americans do without. Personally, i am retired after working for over 50 years of my entire life, supporting my family without asking for a dime from any "entitlements" from our Government, and I remember the days when I went without a telephone, and drove a car that was 15 years old, and ate numerous hamburg casseroles to stretch our food budget. My children and I never once was able to afford lobster or steak at our dinner table.

Our Government has provided too much luxuries for these immigrants while Veterans and others go homeless and having a place to sleep when it is 10 Degrees BELOW ZERO outside!!!!!!

Something is drastically wrong when our Government puts immigrants BEFORE our natural born citizens who want to work and be self-supporting.
Amitaba

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Arty wrote:
<quoted text>You don't know what you're talking about you jackass. I went thru the Homeownership Center when I bought my house a few years ago. I got a LOAN thru them to help me out with the closing costs. And I paid back every penny of it with interest. Before you open your stupid mouth, at least try to pretend that u know what your talking about. Idiot.
Sam's a dummy!
Sam

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

Judged:

Arty wrote:
<quoted text>You don't know what you're talking about you jackass. I went thru the Homeownership Center when I bought my house a few years ago. I got a LOAN thru them to help me out with the closing costs. And I paid back every penny of it with interest. Before you open your stupid mouth, at least try to pretend that u know what your talking about. Idiot.
Oh we seem upset, Facts are Facts. Refugee get GRANT money and more help than they should.

Level 7

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2014

Truth wrote:
In your firs sentence you mention "shelter" Subsidized closing costs once? Or Rent subsidies for extended periods of time? You do the math.
Could you find a job without a phone? Could you get to work without a car? Pets????Really? Is that really an issue for you? Speaking of Rhetoric. Pathetic.

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2014

Judged:

one who knows wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you 100% PLUS!
Our Government should establish their #1 Priority of taking care of the natural born citizens of our Country FIRST. No USA citizen should have to starve, be homeless, or those capable of working not being able to find a job because our Government has made shipping all of our businesses to foreign countries and giving them financial insinatives to do so.
Giving immigrants and the parasites that have made being fully supported by our Government without giving anything in return is morally and financially wrong. I remember the days when an immigrant wanted to come to the USA, he/she had to have a Sponser stating he/she would be responsible for the immigrant who would have a job waiting for him once he/she arrived in our Country. There was no such thing as "handouts" and these immigrants became the backbone of our Country and took pride in their hard work and the rewards of doing so.
Today, our Welfare system gives these immigrants and other Welfare receipants as many, if not more, than what hard working Americans do without. Personally, i am retired after working for over 50 years of my entire life, supporting my family without asking for a dime from any "entitlements" from our Government, and I remember the days when I went without a telephone, and drove a car that was 15 years old, and ate numerous hamburg casseroles to stretch our food budget. My children and I never once was able to afford lobster or steak at our dinner table.
Our Government has provided too much luxuries for these immigrants while Veterans and others go homeless and having a place to sleep when it is 10 Degrees BELOW ZERO outside!!!!!!
Something is drastically wrong when our Government puts immigrants BEFORE our natural born citizens who want to work and be self-supporting.
Only "natural" born "Americans"???? So you are Native American?
The worst problem we have with our welfare programs, is the massive disinformation campaign waged by those who would prefer to have a populace of Slave Laborers.
Do any of you sheep understand why the 1% doesn't mind high unemployment? When the Labor market is tight (during high unemployment) workers leverage is greatly diminished.
Most of these issues that get you right wingers whipped into a froth are actually NON Issues, but as long as you are distracted the 1% can continue to destroy the middle class.
Carry on......"these are not the droids you're looking for"
Bill

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2014

Leave it to redeemer tax exempting those foreign shgagolas

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2014

Bodhisatva

This might be the first and only time I ever agree with you. If not for the refugees in Utica our population would be less than 40,000. There would be entire neighborhoods with boarded up homes. We should be thanking them every day for breathing life back into the city. Any money spent by the government to bring these people here was a gift to Utica. If you want to complain about government hand-outs, look at the generations of U.S. citizen’s that have been living off these hand-outs for years.

My grandparents came to this country as immigrants. They lived in East Utica for over sixty years and still couldn’t speak English. The worked in factories, attended church, paid taxes and bought a house. They raised my mother, paid for her college and helped her buy a house. Their friends and neighbors from Poland, Italy, Germany and many other countries built this city. Our new local neighbors from Russia, Bosnia, Vietnam, Burma etc… are picking up where my grandparents left off. God bless them.

Level 7

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

JusticeDefiled13501 wrote:
Bodhisatva
This might be the first and only time I ever agree with you. If not for the refugees in Utica our population would be less than 40,000. There would be entire neighborhoods with boarded up homes. We should be thanking them every day for breathing life back into the city. Any money spent by the government to bring these people here was a gift to Utica. If you want to complain about government hand-outs, look at the generations of U.S. citizen’s that have been living off these hand-outs for years.
My grandparents came to this country as immigrants. They lived in East Utica for over sixty years and still couldn’t speak English. The worked in factories, attended church, paid taxes and bought a house. They raised my mother, paid for her college and helped her buy a house. Their friends and neighbors from Poland, Italy, Germany and many other countries built this city. Our new local neighbors from Russia, Bosnia, Vietnam, Burma etc… are picking up where my grandparents left off. God bless them.
Loved your post, excluding the last sentence of the first paragraph. This is a good example of the disinformation we've been fed since Reagan's "welfare queen" was roundly debunked (she didn't exist, no one could find her, he made her up) we pay approximately 10 cents a day per tax payer, for all welfare programs, that's $36.50 per year. Now if you calculate using the most liberal figures available, 17% of recipients are chronic abusers, mentally ill, or guilty of welfare fraud, that amounts to $6.25 per year or less than 2 cents a day. Can we please move on? We have been bamboozled into ignoring where the majority of our Nations Wealth is going for THIRTY YEARS!!!!! It's going to the TOP 1%.
Your points about the majority of immigrants is absolutely accurate. I now live in a more Rural community and many of the refugees and immigrants move out here once they have established themselves, and they are beautiful people.
My Parents and my friends Parents were also mostly European Immigrants, and the original poster misses a very important fact, they didn't have the programs available today, but what many of them did have was Union Manufacturing Jobs.( I remember asking my Dad why so many Old Men were missing fingers :/)
Refugee

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2014

Lies wrote:
<quoted text>
You were not told this. You need a life.
Why r u spreading a lie? There is no such thing. US laws do not have special provision for refugees and immigrants.
one who knows

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2014

Judged:

Bodhisatva wrote:
<quoted text>I ..........
Could you find a job without a phone? Could you get to work without a car? Pets????Really? Is that really an issue for you?.........
The answer is YES!!!!!!!

Utica has a bus system that can take you anywhere within the City and surburbs to look for work.

I went without a phone for many years and walked to a bus stop - found employment and supported myself and 4 children on my own paycheck. If I can do it - so can anyone else!!!!!

Remember - God helps those that help themselves..........
landlord

Lowell, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2014

Refugee wrote:
<quoted text>Why r u spreading a lie? There is no such thing. US laws do not have special provision for refugees and immigrants.
You type too accurately to be a refugee dumb ass phony
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Bodhisatva wrote:
<quoted text>In your firs sentence you mention "shelter" Subsidized closing costs once? Or Rent subsidies for extended periods of time? You do the math.
Could you find a job without a phone? Could you get to work without a car? Pets????Really? Is that really an issue for you? Speaking of Rhetoric. Pathetic.
Like I said everyone has a level of compassion they are comfortable with. "Shelter" to my mind is public housing projects that are available for fixed periods of time. The exception being for those who are truly unable to support themselves. "Shelter" is not - your fellow citizens are going to provide you with housing for your entire adult life and not require that you at least try to get training or a job. I've done the math. Social programs like you advocate are part of the reason that New York is the least business friendly state in the country.

Could I find a job without a phone? The short answer is yes. Using your logic a person could rightfully refuse to look for a job because they didn't have a phone. That's ridiculous. What did those on public assistance do before there were cell phones?

Could I get to work without a car? Again, yes. we in this area have something called Centro. Centro is the public transportation system that the taxpayers subsidize. Their website says this:
"Between 25% and 30% of the Authority's operating costs are supported by revenues received from passengers, institutional contracts and other operational activities. Federal, State and local operating assistance, and mortgage recording tax revenues make up the difference."
That means the taxpayers are footing the bill for 70-75% of the cost of the system. Newsflash - somebody could actually have a job, take a bus to work and not have a car.

Pets? Yes that is an issue for me. If a person is so down on their luck that they aren't able to support themselves then I don't think they should have a pet. That pet is being paid for with hard earned money taken from me and my fellow taxpayers to satisfy someone's(like you) social agenda.

I'm all for helping those who truly need help. For me it's just common sense that we should always do that. I am not for helping able bodied adults who choose to not work or say they can't look for a job because they don't have a taxpayer financed phone car.
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Bodhisatva wrote:
<quoted text>Loved your post, excluding the last sentence of the first paragraph. This is a good example of the disinformation we've been fed since Reagan's "welfare queen" was roundly debunked (she didn't exist, no one could find her, he made her up) we pay approximately 10 cents a day per tax payer, for all welfare programs, that's $36.50 per year. Now if you calculate using the most liberal figures available, 17% of recipients are chronic abusers, mentally ill, or guilty of welfare fraud, that amounts to $6.25 per year or less than 2 cents a day. Can we please move on? We have been bamboozled into ignoring where the majority of our Nations Wealth is going for THIRTY YEARS!!!!! It's going to the TOP 1%.
Your points about the majority of immigrants is absolutely accurate. I now live in a more Rural community and many of the refugees and immigrants move out here once they have established themselves, and they are beautiful people.
My Parents and my friends Parents were also mostly European Immigrants, and the original poster misses a very important fact, they didn't have the programs available today, but what many of them did have was Union Manufacturing Jobs.( I remember asking my Dad why so many Old Men were missing fingers :/)
Reagan's "Welfare Queen" was a woman from Chicago named Linda Taylor. To say she didn't exist or was never found is a lie. You can look that up.

The information I've seen suggests that means tested welfare programs cost the average taxpayer around 7% of their annual income which is obviously more than your $36.50 a year. You cite no sources for your incorrect numbers and I can only imagine where they may have come from. Please allow me to show you where I get what I base my opinion on.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2011...
There are plenty more sources that show you to be wrong if anyone is interested in pursuing that.

Who and what do you blame for the loss of those manufacturing jobs that used to be available to non-English speakers and those without formal education or other marketable skills? I think it was in large part those same unions that the old men with missing fingers belonged to.

Bottom line. If you feel that the government social programs that take from one taxpaying American and give what is taken to another American are the way to go, then when you file your tax return make sure that you don't take any deductions or tax credits and then send in whatever you are comfortable with to help to fund your vision. Do not however think you have the right to make everyone else conform with what you feel is an appropriate level of compassion for those who, for whatever reason, aren't able to make it on their own.
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Bodhisatva
We live in a completely different country and world than our parents and grandparents did.

60 years and still didn't speak English? I think that they represent the exception and not the rule in that regard.

As for the benefit of immigration to this area, you have to do a real cost/benefit analysis that takes into account all of the what the immigrant population costs the local taxpayers versus the actual economic benefit they provide. That's the only way you can accurately determine if they've "breathed life back into the city" or if they have increased the burden on those who've been here over the long haul. Do you have that data? Within the last tow years one of the county legislators did a study and his results paint a different picture than what you suggest. At t least when it comes to the burden on Oneida County taxpayers. Can the results be different for the city?

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
We live in a completely different country and world than our parents and grandparents did.
60 years and still didn't speak English? I think that they represent the exception and not the rule in that regard.
As for the benefit of immigration to this area, you have to do a real cost/benefit analysis that takes into account all of the what the immigrant population costs the local taxpayers versus the actual economic benefit they provide. That's the only way you can accurately determine if they've "breathed life back into the city" or if they have increased the burden on those who've been here over the long haul. Do you have that data? Within the last tow years one of the county legislators did a study and his results paint a different picture than what you suggest. At t least when it comes to the burden on Oneida County taxpayers. Can the results be different for the city?
I would love to see that study. I think what you fail to realize is the extent to which these refugees have assimilated into society in Utica. It’s hard to find any business in the area that doesn’t have refugee workers. That includes many professional job. I recently hired a paralegal who is a second-generation Bosnian. She graduated from Proctor a few years ago and was in the top 5% of her graduating class in college. Both of her parents came to Utica in one of the earlier rounds of refugees. They own a house in North Utica that they bought while working menial jobs. They saved for years to be able to provide a better life for their children. There are many others that have done the same. If you want to complain about people being a burden on the taxpayers, look at some of the families in Utica who have been living off the system for generations. Why would anyone criticize these refugee families but turn a blind eye to the rest of these public parasites. Look at the top graduates from Proctor recently and you will see many, if not most of them come from families of refugees.
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

<quoted text>
I would love to see that study. I think what you fail to realize is the extent to which these refugees have assimilated into society in Utica. It’s hard to find any business in the area that doesn’t have refugee workers. That includes many professional job. I recently hired a paralegal who is a second-generation Bosnian. She graduated from Proctor a few years ago and was in the top 5% of her graduating class in college. Both of her parents came to Utica in one of the earlier rounds of refugees. They own a house in North Utica that they bought while working menial jobs. They saved for years to be able to provide a better life for their children. There are many others that have done the same. If you want to complain about people being a burden on the taxpayers, look at some of the families in Utica who have been living off the system for generations. Why would anyone criticize these refugee families but turn a blind eye to the rest of these public parasites. Look at the top graduates from Proctor recently and you will see many, if not most of them come from families of refugees.
I couldn't find the actual report but I did find the rebuttal case from the Refugee Center.
http://forefugees.com/tag/brian-mandryck/

The report as I remember it showed in real numbers the cost of refugees to Oneida County taxpayers. This rebuttal is everything you might expect coming from the Refugee Center so when you read it (if you do) keep that bias in mind.

Just because someone is working does not mean they are not receiving some sort of public assistance be it daycare, food stamps, ESL classes, medical care or any of a number of other social welfare programs available to them. I think many of the refugees are among the "working poor" who still feed at the public trough in one form or another.

I am not criticizing refugees, especially Bosnian refugees. My experience with them is that inasmuch as you can make a blanket statement about any ethnicity, they are a very hard-working and industrious people. I admire that. My opinion is that in a generation or two you won't be able to distinguish Bosnians from any other Americans just like generations of immigrants that came before.

I find it interesting that waves of immigrants, like the Bosnians and the Asians before them, come to our area and after a relatively short time in terms of economics just blow right by the black and Hispanic populations that have been here for generations . I know that for some that will sound racist. It is certainly not meant that way and I hate making blanket statements about any group but by and large it's just a fact. Why is that? They are the generational welfare people you are talking about for the most part right?
Ben Gleck

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2014

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't find the actual report but I did find the rebuttal case from the Refugee Center.
http://forefugees.com/tag/brian-mandryck/
The report as I remember it showed in real numbers the cost of refugees to Oneida County taxpayers. This rebuttal is everything you might expect coming from the Refugee Center so when you read it (if you do) keep that bias in mind.
Just because someone is working does not mean they are not receiving some sort of public assistance be it daycare, food stamps, ESL classes, medical care or any of a number of other social welfare programs available to them. I think many of the refugees are among the "working poor" who still feed at the public trough in one form or another.
I am not criticizing refugees, especially Bosnian refugees. My experience with them is that inasmuch as you can make a blanket statement about any ethnicity, they are a very hard-working and industrious people. I admire that. My opinion is that in a generation or two you won't be able to distinguish Bosnians from any other Americans just like generations of immigrants that came before.
I find it interesting that waves of immigrants, like the Bosnians and the Asians before them, come to our area and after a relatively short time in terms of economics just blow right by the black and Hispanic populations that have been here for generations . I know that for some that will sound racist. It is certainly not meant that way and I hate making blanket statements about any group but by and large it's just a fact. Why is that? They are the generational welfare people you are talking about for the most part right?
right! Your statement is not only racist. It's just plain stupid. Hint... What color are the Bosnians? Let me guess , you're also a gun toting birther too, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wheres Riggies IP 10 min Riggies 5
Say no to unions! 46 min Riggies 65
Why Do Blacks Walk In The Middle Of The Road. (Dec '11) 1 hr Reality 56
WHAT has GORILLA NOSE STEAL WOOL HAIR AND SAYS ... 1 hr Pray For Him 3
sreggin still looting stealing babies to ra pe ... 1 hr Gibberish 3
Bankruptcy is Utica's Only Hope to Rebound. (Feb '10) 1 hr Jeffersons 7
To The Resident Topix Racist 1 hr Youre A Joke 3
utica aud 4 hr Its Maintenence 54
ND or Proctor Football: Who will have the bette... 5 hr Proctor 38
Debate: Ferguson - Utica, NY 5 hr KUCLER 91