Any former residents of the old Psych...
400 lb MrT

New York, NY

#21 Apr 28, 2009
Do one at City Hall, maybe they can figure out if anyone works there!
Well

United States

#22 Apr 29, 2009
Taps wrote:
They should get those Ghost Hunter people who have a show on the Sci-fi channel to do an episode about Utica's old lunatic asylum.
Awesome Idea!!!!!!!!!
HUGEKNOCKERS

New York, NY

#23 Apr 29, 2009
Check out Bayliss Ave I think he graduated from there!
the one

Troy, NY

#24 May 22, 2009
i was recently released for pinefield. i was there for quite a while. It was one of the most terrifying thing thts every happpend to me and because of it im worst then when i was admitted
Dannillo

East Syracuse, NY

#25 Oct 29, 2009
I recently visited the building on the corner of the york and noyes street the seven or eight story one. i trveled here to utica in search of old stlye archetecture and noticed thes grate large building and it has vexed me since to know what it and was. i have reaserched for eight years now and cannot find a single thing aout this building. i have found anouther nearly identicle to this one on marcy on wright avenue. what are these places can someone give peace to my soul. thank you all.
jerry

New York, NY

#26 Oct 29, 2009
Does anyone remember `Corky`??? He used to be from the site on Noyes st..He would ride all around west utica with his bike and transistor radio and just bug people in the neighborhood. He was crazy!! Just yelled shit at ya for no reason..And i was like 9-10 at the time..All the kids would run for their lives when we saw him..
whatever

Oneida, NY

#27 Oct 30, 2009
its haunted and very scary
psyc

New York, NY

#28 Oct 30, 2009
Dannillo wrote:
I recently visited the building on the corner of the york and noyes street the seven or eight story one. i trveled here to utica in search of old stlye archetecture and noticed thes grate large building and it has vexed me since to know what it and was. i have reaserched for eight years now and cannot find a single thing aout this building. i have found anouther nearly identicle to this one on marcy on wright avenue. what are these places can someone give peace to my soul. thank you all.
This is the modern psyhciatric hospital that was buit when they closed "Old Main" which was the first lunatic assylym in the United WStates. When the theory about locking up those with mental conditions changed in a large part due to psychotropic drugs, the eight story hospital was largly vacant and the much smaller one story building behind it on Noyes across from Donovan school. The state has largely abandoned these buidings. Some of the older ones like the residences and old main were quite lovely or archatecturally significant. They just let them fall down. I questioned the use of the building you are asking about because it would make a great homeless shelter but was told it is full of asbestos and mold and would cost too much to rehab and apparently to knock down.. Its a lovly greanspace that is being wasted by the state - so what else is new in NYS Hope this answers your question. Marcy was also a psyc hospital back in the day but now is a prison.
Been there

New York, NY

#29 Oct 30, 2009
Trailerfun wrote:
Yea I forgot about the utica crib. I used to go there at night with friends and just start in the windows, I never saw anything but it always felt so evil and creepy. Especially the part across the mcpike alcohol place. I remember reading that there used to be a big bell tower too but burnt in a large fire, and the crazies would farm the backyard all day.
I have worked at Utica Psych since 1971. Most of what I have read here is pretty close to the truth. Bell tower mention did not burn. It was taken down and the clock in the tower is at the corner of court and state on top of Brodock Press.
Once a month I still visit a patient that was there before me. He's in his late 80's, origanlly from Utica and a resident of wright building. what stories.. amazing.

“Life's a Dance..... ”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#30 Dec 5, 2009
Brigham Building (corner Noyes and York) was staffed and operating until the late 90's. All patients were moved to Wright Building (across from Donovan). Pinefield is on York Street between Noyes and Oak Street. This building houses only adolescents. There are several other buildings still being used by NYS OMH. The powerhouse in the center of the campus houses some of the maintenance shops, WAC (Rehabilitation Bldg) still provides programming for outpatients. the NYS OMH Print Shop is next to this building and still operating as a fully staffed printing facility. Next to this building is the storehouse for MVPC and beyond is McPike ATC, a facility of NYS Dept Alcoholism and Substance Abuse. Several smaller buildings exist for other programs on the campus. You can google NYS OMH, or just mental health in NYS, and you will get all the info you need.
Dannillo wrote:
Interested

Livingston, NJ

#31 Apr 1, 2013
to marcy State from Dexter - Would your ggradmother still be around? Would she remember anyone that was a patient at Marcy State Hospital?
Hahah

United States

#32 Apr 1, 2013
Diana VICKERY
oldie

Ithaca, NY

#33 Apr 1, 2013
There is a thread on Rome topic called Marcy Insane Asylum I think and there are several people on it that spent time at Marcy. Maybe one of them could help you INTERESTED.
CARRIE IANNONE

Lowville, NY

#34 Jan 23, 2014
YOU PEOPLE KNOW NOTHING! I WAS IN PINEFIELD CHILDREN AND YOUTH PSYCH. CENTER, NEXT TO DONOVAN SCHOOL. FROM 1990-1997 PINEFIELD STAFF WERE LIKE PARENTS TO ALOT OF US. WE WEREN'T CRAZY, JUST EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS. YES TODAY I HEAR THAT THE CHILDREN AREN'T JUST ''PROBLEM CHILDREN'' BUT CRIMINALS. THEY HURT THE STAFF, WE NEVER DID THAT. BUT YES I HEARD THE OLD PSYCH. CENTER IN THE 1930'S WAS NOT FULL OF CRAZY PEOPLE, BUT PEOPLE FOR EXAMPLE , IF THEY WERE DEAF, BLIND, HYPER OR IF THEY HAD SOME SORT OF MINOR DISFIGUREMENT. YES, THEY LEFT[ IF THEY GOT TO LEAVE] THEY CAME OUT CRAZY CAUSE THEY GAVE THEM SHOCK TREATMENTS, LABODAMY'S. WHEN THEY WERE BASICALLY NORMAL. THIS WORLD IS EVIL, IF YOUR NOT RICH, SUCCESSFUL, POPULAR, PERFECT LOOKING, THEN TO MOST YOUR ''CRAZY''. YOU PEOPLE NEED TO RETHINK YOUR WRITINGS, AND REREAD WHAT YOU WROTE CAUSE YOU ARE THE CRAZY ONE'S.
John S Morrison

Lawrence, MA

#36 Mar 17, 2016
what was the former CRANE HILL SCHOOL
is now the pine field unit at the
UTICA ASYLUM ( MOWHAWK VALLEY PSYCHIATRIC CENTER ) yes CRANE HILL SCHOOL has a similar story when I was there most of the kids just had emotional issues. but later on they started getting the real criminal types of kids. they moved part of CRANE HILL SCHOOL into E building that was years after I was there. they had a roit there. we had some staff that was a little on the sadistic side mostly a couple on the night shift. but most of the other staff was good. we had good teachers who cared for us. one of my favorites was a Mrs Matthews our principle was a Mrs spears a vary elegant lady. at CRANE HILL SCHOOL we had a down hill ski slope which is ware the current prison S-BLOCK building now sits. we may have been the only children's ASYLUM SCHOOL with a down hill ski slope.
and the steam tunnel system and the steam plant or power house was one of my favorite parts of this ASYLUM I still remember ware all the tunnels are to this day included the CRANE HILL SCHOOL steam tunnel which runs right under the S-BLOCK. they called me the tunnel rat cause I know ware every steam tunnel under the former
MARCY ASYLUM is.
John Morrison

Boston, MA

#38 May 18, 2016
Dannillo wrote:
both of these buildings are former medical surgical buildings of both the utica and marcy state hospitals. there is also a third identical building in gowanda new york that used to be gowanda state hospital just south of buffalo. these buildings where built sometime in the 1950s. they are as cold and morbid as the older buildings was
John Morrison

Boston, MA

#39 May 18, 2016
to the survivor of the pinefield building.
pinefield was a secesser to what was known as crane hill school which was located at the former marcy asylum
( aka MARCY STATE HOSPITAL )
which is now known as midstate correctional facility
John Morrison

Boston, MA

#40 May 18, 2016
as a child i had the unfortunate experience of being a guest of the infamous
MARCY ASYLUM
( aka MARCY STATE HOSPITAL )
they had a school that was called
CRANE HILL SCHOOL predacesser to the later PINEFIELD in utica.
i spent 7 years in CRANE HILL SCHOOL
from 9 years old to 16 years old curtisey of the Onondaga social services. as i was a foster child who wasn't too good in school. so that sent me to our version of
THE HOTEL CALIFORNIA or as i like calling it THE CRANE HILTON !!! LOL. but after that little childhood nightmare i managed to work for 30 years as an industrial worker. 23 years at one company with out a high school deploma. im currently in my early 60s. so im now retired. but now i like making fun out of my experience there. iv made up a fictitious horror story and trown in a HEAVY METAL THEME TO IT. especially the METALLICA and IRON MAIDEN. as i like calling MARCY THE IRON MAIDEN OF UPSTATE NEW YORK
with its theme song SANITARIUM by METALLICA.
Denny

Slingerlands, NY

#41 May 19, 2016
FYI wrote:
This was the original psychiatric hospital in the US and was considered state of the art. In the early days before treatment, the really disturbed and violent were chained to the wall was to prevent their escapse and injury. Some of those chains and straps still are attached to the walls in the basement. The entire history of care happened here from ice water baths to electro-shock therapy. Once drugs became available the numbers diminished. There was a later state hospital established in Marcy (now the site of a prison). Not everyone incarcerated was "crazy". Incorigible children (delinquints) were sent there, wives that husbands wanted to be rid of and those with dementia. Almost anyone with money or influence could rid themselves of someone there. There were also people that went there as children and never left because by the time it was detemined by a more enlightened society that they were not crazy but perhaps developmentally challenged or simply unwanted by their families, they were too old and ill prepared to be released so they stayed til they died. There were also wards of people who were quaranteened for communicable diseases before antibiotics etc. Again, by the time treatments were developed, it was too late for release and they were allowed to live out your life there. You might have better luck getting stories from the staff who are still around and both hospitals had nursing schools. I know a story from one who talked abut getting an old man from state in intensive care (there was no real medical care at the states). She tried to order all kinds of food that she thought would be a treat and tempt his appetite. Finally a new charge nurse came on duty that had trained at state and ordered him a big plate of spagetti and a large spoon. He ate like he was starved. The other nurses thought she was terrible when she did it but the truth was at state the patients were never given anything but a spoon as a utensil and as a result only soft food. Not all residents needed confinement. There used to be a farm where Utica College stands today. There was a large house where the Curch is ciurrently. That porch and all the sunrooms were full of rocking chairs that the patients used to soothe themselves. There was an art studio, an upolstery shop, a greenhouse for plants and flowers and many patients had "jobs". many of them were allowed to walk the beautiful grounds. Marcy had a great golf course.
My father sold snakes to the hospital to use in the snake pit,
John Morrison

Ithaca, NY

#42 May 19, 2016
Denny wrote:
<quoted text>

My father sold snakes to the hospital to use in the snake pit,
funny about the snake pit. but i perfer THE MOSH PIT

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
alt left radicals running scared 1 min Stop the racism 4
Best sewer Cleaner in the area. 1 min Toilets Cleaners 1
Utica College Trash Pumps 3 min Toilets Cleaners 1
Shankman 4 min sad story 5
Keeping score..... 4 min The score 9
Becky Sykes cheating of her husband again. 7 min Beckyyyyyy 7
Keeler does it again! 23 min jimmy 40
Let's tear down Martin Luther King's statue 26 min Fair and equal 11
Stay Away from these Contractors 1 hr oie 17
Who is funding the Aud renovations? 14 hr Oh Well 439