Observer-Dispatch Circulation Implodes
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kyle

Syracuse, NY

#28 Jun 28, 2011
stop it wrote:
You people are ridiculous, it's the same paper only in a different size. I swear, if all your IQ's were just a little higher you would equal a head of cabbage.
Please explain to me why you are under the delusion that it is the "same paper"? Please tell me how it is the same when there is no "Dilbert"? Please tell me how it is the same when Dr. Gott and Dear Abby are missing about 60 percent of their content? Other papers print them in full like the OD used to do. Please tell me how it is the same when the news articles are shorter? Where are the police blotters? Please tell me how it is the same when the ads take up two thirds of the page? Is it the same paper with less local sports reporting? Is it the same paper with a community section that is full of useless and unimportant fluff? Simply, it is not the same paper. It is inferior to the previous version, which was at best an inferior paper to begin with.
So Sad

Glenmont, NY

#29 Jun 28, 2011
Another city paper that's about ready to hit the dust heap of history. Another nail in Utica's coffin...... "Utica, A City With A Past"
Phoenix Reader

Utica, NY

#30 Jun 29, 2011
PLEASE take a look at this weeks Phoenix it is a real send up of this disaster that cassandra deserves a lot of credit for poking Donna in the eye
No Sunday Paper

Rome, NY

#31 Jun 29, 2011
The paper is so small you can put it in your wallet. Only thing good on the sunday addition is the adds, the rest stinks. And at $2.00 its not worth it.
Jimmy Olsen

Utica, NY

#32 Jun 29, 2011
No Sunday Paper wrote:
The paper is so small you can put it in your wallet. Only thing good on the sunday addition is the adds, the rest stinks. And at $2.00 its not worth it.
We need a little competition. Someone should find a way to print all of the local ads, get the manufacturers coupon fliers and a little Newsletter and sell it all for $.50 each Sunday. It wouldn't take long before the circulation numbers on that would bury the OD. Maybe the Phoenix people could launch this.
Early Deadline

Utica, NY

#33 Jun 29, 2011
Last Friday evening the NYS Senate passed the Marriage Equality Act (Gay Marriage). The O-D did NOT carry the story in its Saturday edition, but the NY Times did. Why does a paper printed in Johnson City need an earlier deadline than one printed in NYC?

I understand a paper not carrying West Coast sports scores, but NY games that end before 11 pm?
Valleyviewer

New York, NY

#35 Dec 30, 2011
Their ABC numbers will likely be around or below 30,000 daily. They like to tweak their numbers and they'll do their best to make bad things look good.

Unfortunately, Donna should have gone a long time ago. Seems like the corporate people are not smart enough to realize that they have a major problem here in Utica and it starts with the top management.

There are many good journalists at the OD but they are not running the place. With people like their editor, Kris Worrell writing fluff, bake sales and complete nonsense, it's no wonder that people are canceling their paper due to content. Did you hear that Kris? CONTENT! Not a delivery problem but content!
Looks like you got a job

West Hartford, CT

#36 Dec 30, 2011
The Auditor wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, no, they don't.
Take the "Oneida County Public Market" held this past weekend as an example. The OD's coverage consisted of reporting on the press conference announcing the market, followed by a story about the great turnout at the event.
What's missing is any actual reporting about how long it's taken to get the market up and running and how much it's cost. Using the cargo wing as a commercial center was first proposed in *1978*!$120,000 was budgeted for renovating the wing as part of the overall facility renovation in 1979 but...poof...the money just vanished. Another $200,000 in federal grants was supposed to be used to do the job, again, in 1986. Poof! The money vanished into the pit of mismanagement and graft around every public project in Utica. Finally,$300,000 was budgeted for roof work when Sherry Boehlert decided to build a monument to himself and renovate the track access way. Take a look at the roof today and tell me that job using low grade plywood and materials was a good investment.
Now the county wants to spend another quarter of a million dollars doing the work that should have been done back in 1979. And this is *after* close to 20% of the station's parking spaces were turned over to a private developer in a sweetheart deal.
There's plenty of news in Utica. What we're missing are the journalists needed to report on it.
You have all the stories, looks like you got yourself a job.
TRUE

Utica, NY

#37 Dec 31, 2011
PEOPLE RUNNING THE OD DONT HAVE ANY RESPECT IN THIS COMMUNITY THEY HAVE DESTROYED THE PAPER AND HURT OUR CITY ALONG WITH IT ..... they are arrogant
Gary

Syracuse, NY

#38 Dec 31, 2011
The OD is the absolute worse excuse for a newspaper. Technically, is it really a newspaper anymore?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote no on consolidation 42 min Broke 59
Ironic Nano news announced before elections 48 min Cliffys Pal 13
Ocean Blue restaurat 1 hr Cowboy 22
Green Street, Utica, NY 2 hr Gaggy 7
How to defeat the police licence plate readers: (Jul '10) 3 hr All Too Easy 197
watch NFL fames sundays (Aug '14) 6 hr Sunday Ticket 6
Need physical therapist 9 hr Looking into 4
Jill Reale of WKTV (Jan '09) 10 hr huntz hall 248
More from around the web

Personal Finance