Posted in the Utica Forum

jack

Utica, NY

#1 Mar 22, 2011
Poll: Utica among the saddest cities in the nation
By EMMA WRIGHT

Story Created: Mar 21, 2011 at 5:20 PM EDT

Story Updated: Mar 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM EDT

UTICA, N.Y.(WKTV)- A recent Gallup Poll for CBSMoneyWatch.com ranks the top happiest and saddest cities in the nation.

Unfortunately, Utica does not come out on top. It ranks 179 out of 188 metropolitan areas.

To come up with the rankings, Gallup conducted daily interviews with over 300,000 Americans throughout the country in 2010. They asked them questions in six categories - life evaluation, physical health, healthy behavior, emotional, work, and basic access.

Reactions to the poll results are mixed when it comes to Utica residents.

"It doesn't surprise me," said Linda Verdon. "The weather is bad, just take a look around."

"I like South Utica...the streets are nice and quiet and I have good neighbors," said Tony Famolaro.

Mayor David Roefaro says he disagrees with Utica's ranking.

"I just don't know what to say when I hear these statistics. Have they ever visited Utica? I don't think so," Roefaro said. "I just really don't know where they get their info from."

The mayor was quick to point out another poll that recently named Utica one of the top 10 places to buy a house.
jack

Utica, NY

#2 Mar 22, 2011
Great comeback mayor...lol
losers

Little Falls, NY

#3 Mar 22, 2011
Utica is a great place to buy house if you have a job and credit. Something most Uticans don't have unless you're fortunate enough to get on the friends and family plan which isn't easy. I've been trying for 3 years. LOL
Marty

Moravia, NY

#4 Mar 22, 2011
The situation in Utica is very, very sad. It is a run down town with no future and without visionary and effective leadership. There is no place to go and really nothing to do. Some of the natives talk about how wonderful it is here because we are close to the Adirondacks and we have riggies and tomatoe pie. They speak of the wonders such as Varick St. as if it was some sort of wonderful thing. These natives can't see past the fact that the bulk of this area is miserable. So what if houses here are cheap? Maybe it is because no one wants them. And there are other nicer places with low cost housing that are far happier than Utica. My best advise to anyone is to leave this lost cause of a city behind and go to a place that is actually full of life. I have lived here for over thirty years, and no matter how hard I try to like it, I wind up hating it more and more as time goes on. I have been hearing how things will get better down the road, but it just keeps getting worse. In my humble opinion, there is just no hope or positive future awaiting Utica.
And So

Camillus, NY

#5 Mar 22, 2011
Hahahahah-utica is one of the 10 best places to buy a hovel. Yeah after the africans get done w/them the city gives them away for the back taxes just so they dont have to tear them down!

I give the bosnians(spell check) much cred. because they buy these dumps fix them up and resell them. Only problem being if the africans get back in there again the cycle just repeats itself.

If i'm lying i'm dying.
PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE

Rome, NY

#6 Mar 22, 2011
Marty wrote:
The situation in Utica is very, very sad. It is a run down town with no future and without visionary and effective leadership. There is no place to go and really nothing to do. Some of the natives talk about how wonderful it is here because we are close to the Adirondacks and we have riggies and tomatoe pie. They speak of the wonders such as Varick St. as if it was some sort of wonderful thing. These natives can't see past the fact that the bulk of this area is miserable. So what if houses here are cheap? Maybe it is because no one wants them. And there are other nicer places with low cost housing that are far happier than Utica. My best advise to anyone is to leave this lost cause of a city behind and go to a place that is actually full of life. I have lived here for over thirty years, and no matter how hard I try to like it, I wind up hating it more and more as time goes on. I have been hearing how things will get better down the road, but it just keeps getting worse. In my humble opinion, there is just no hope or positive future awaiting Utica.

I AGREE UTICA has gone down hill so fast in the last 10 years.
no jobs no nightlife no future
with are present city goverment WATCH OUT......
a day in the life

Herkimer, NY

#7 Mar 22, 2011
And So wrote:
Hahahahah-utica is one of the 10 best places to buy a hovel. Yeah after the africans get done w/them the city gives them away for the back taxes just so they dont have to tear them down!
I give the bosnians(spell check) much cred. because they buy these dumps fix them up and resell them. Only problem being if the africans get back in there again the cycle just repeats itself.
If i'm lying i'm dying.
The Latinos and Asians are probably purchasing and rebuilding most of the vacant housing in the area. Yea blame the lack of jobs, infrastructure to lure more companies, road conditions, no bid contracts, lucrative city employee benefits and salaries, and poor decision making on the poor and black people, while others continue to steal what little future the city has left. You people are brilliant.
naysayer

Rome, NY

#9 Mar 22, 2011
the entire city
lollie

Mclean, VA

#10 Mar 23, 2011
James St.
sadface

Watertown, NY

#11 Mar 23, 2011
I like Utica better than Rome, which is where I unfortunately reside :(

Utica34
Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Albany, NY

#12 Mar 14, 2013
Two years later and things are only worse in utica. Keep pursuing that chip plant guys. It's working wonders for you.
utican

New York, NY

#13 Apr 8, 2013
Ranked by Gallup the ninth saddest city in America!

http://www.weather.com/health/saddest-city-ga...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News $3 million awarded to local counties to support... 5 min RASH YELLONAIL BACK 4
Susicious Activity 11 min blowme 7
Jackie Gigloitti 14 min Blueballs 6
attn SPINELESS TABER SLOB PUNK WELFARE COWARD 18 min JEALOUSLY SHATBYROG 8
fat WELFARE SLOB PRETENDS TO GET WHITESBORO ADD... 25 min ROGSHAT JEALOUSLY 11
to WHEELER FAMILY SICK COMMENTS MADE ABOUT YOU 27 min ROGSHAT JEALOUSLY 14
omg PUNK SMITH SAYING HE'S GOING TO TALK TO COP 29 min ROGSHAT JEALOUSLY 36
Oh SH1T! CLAUDIA TENNEY WINS NY22 PRIMARY BIG T... 30 min ROGSHAT JEALOUSLY 23
rob esche getting divorced 1 hr Rob WOMAN YELLO E... 56
Guess who didnt graduate from ND 1 hr Rob WOMAN YELLO E... 81
Carbone 4 hr Aurelio Bianco 39

Utica Jobs

More from around the web