Old Utica Psychiatric Center buildings?
Paranormal superhero

Camillus, NY

#62 Aug 27, 2010
I have!! And I single-handedly killed all of the ghosts!! Ha ha!!
RIP

New Hartford, NY

#63 Sep 4, 2010
No!! I did!!
bob

Rome, NY

#64 Sep 4, 2010
Let's not forget about the infamous "Utica Crib".

http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/medmuseum/g...
bob

Rome, NY

#65 Sep 4, 2010
Apparently, there was already a "ghost-hunting" group there. Their report can be found here: http://www.nyshadowchasers.com/evidenceOC.htm...
Seriously

Watertown, NY

#66 Sep 4, 2010
Very interesting, thanks to those who have posted links! I went on the Landmark Society site and I can't believe how different Utica used to look. I viewed all of the postcards. It's sad! I also find mental health very intriguing. I too work with people who have mental illness.
In the KNOW RIP activity

New Hartford, NY

#67 Sep 5, 2010
bob wrote:
Apparently, there was already a "ghost-hunting" group there. Their report can be found here: http://www.nyshadowchasers.com/evidenceOC.htm...
The shadowchasers don't know shiit!!! They were looking at an old nursing residence!! HA HA HA HA!!!!
Fu**in amatures!!
I know all. I work there. I am RIP
Curious

Syracuse, NY

#68 Sep 5, 2010
In the KNOW RIP activity wrote:
<quoted text>
The shadowchasers don't know shiit!!! They were looking at an old nursing residence!! HA HA HA HA!!!!
Fu**in amatures!!
I know all. I work there. I am RIP
Do people that work there (not patients) claim to have had "experiences" with hauntings? If there is such a thing, this would be a prime place.
Linda

Middleville, NY

#69 Sep 6, 2010
I work there and none of the staff have every expressed anything about hauntings. There has been a high cancer rate among employess though and I wonder if it has anything to do with the asbestos in Brigham Building.
unfortunate

Camillus, NY

#70 Sep 7, 2010
If these buildings are dilapitated they should be torn down. The land could be put to much better uses. Unfortunately, the rest of West Utica is declining fast so a beautiful park would not be appreciated there
Agree

Syracuse, NY

#71 Sep 7, 2010
There are certain portions of the campus that are sectioned off for sale. Put in a bid. It wouldn't take much $$$
upstatelady

Long Eddy, NY

#72 Sep 8, 2010
That was the first psychiatric center in NYS. It was called the NYS Lunatic Asylum at Utica.
Thank God we have come a long way in treating mental illness! They acutally had dungeons there. That was before medications were available to treat the severely mentally ill.
It is too bad that so many of the patients were basically thrown into the street with no follow-up care to speak of.
bob

Rome, NY

#73 Sep 9, 2010
upstatelady wrote:
That was the first psychiatric center in NYS. It was called the NYS Lunatic Asylum at Utica.
Thank God we have come a long way in treating mental illness! They acutally had dungeons there. That was before medications were available to treat the severely mentally ill.
It is too bad that so many of the patients were basically thrown into the street with no follow-up care to speak of.
Are you talking about the deinstitutionalization of the 70s? They had follow-up care. They were supplied with primary therapists, case managers, day programs/job support & residences if needed. This continues today.
Just Saying

Syracuse, NY

#74 Sep 10, 2010
bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you talking about the deinstitutionalization of the 70s? They had follow-up care. They were supplied with primary therapists, case managers, day programs/job support & residences if needed. This continues today.
If what you say is true, these therapists, social workers etc. should be ashamed of themselves. Try stopping by Hope House a get a look at the condition of some of these folks. They do not wash, cannot feed themselves and live lives of desperation. They live in dumps and die alone.

Who are you kidding?
stressball

Herkimer, NY

#75 Sep 11, 2010
it has nothing to do with the workers. It has everything to do with money and resources and the lack of them. The state economy, (and federal of course) is so messed up, that these people suffer. If you had any idea what it is like right now for those of us that are working with these individuals, you would know how difficult and heartbreaking it is. There is no money. Many time we as employees, end up using our own money to help out.
bob

Rome, NY

#76 Sep 11, 2010
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
If what you say is true, these therapists, social workers etc. should be ashamed of themselves. Try stopping by Hope House a get a look at the condition of some of these folks. They do not wash, cannot feed themselves and live lives of desperation. They live in dumps and die alone.
Who are you kidding?
The Hope House people aren't all deinstitutionalized mentally ill. Where are you getting that??
ghost hunter

Utica, NY

#77 Oct 5, 2010
I am interested in the building located at 1400 Noyes st., the big red one. I really want to go in there and do some reasearch but i cannot find any history on the place other than what little is supplied in this forum. I know it was an old psychiatric ward which is highly likely for ghost activity but i want to know how long ago did it close down, how long was it open for, why did it close down, and if any special event or torture situation was conducted there. Has anybody been in there before?
never

New Hartford, NY

#78 Oct 10, 2010
ghost hunter wrote:
I am interested in the building located at 1400 Noyes st., the big red one. I really want to go in there and do some reasearch but i cannot find any history on the place other than what little is supplied in this forum. I know it was an old psychiatric ward which is highly likely for ghost activity but i want to know how long ago did it close down, how long was it open for, why did it close down, and if any special event or torture situation was conducted there. Has anybody been in there before?
The agency will never let you in. It opened in the 50's and closed in early 90's. Very closely watched.
RIP ACTIVITEEEE

Lowville, NY

#79 Oct 29, 2010
I will kill your ghosts!!!!!!!! I Grg will kil thm...I am awesome....I am Greggg...ghost killer ,m,,.m ..ghost expeeert... gtrg jonzxes awesomebgm ....awesome.......gregqhg;f rip jonewsa
Shadow girl

Waterloo, Canada

#80 Oct 30, 2010
Thought you weren't from the area...how do you know about a place in W. Utica? Noyes St employee? Or did you once live there or @ Pinefield?

There are tunnels underground aren't there?
RIP ACTIVITEEEE

Camillus, NY

#81 Nov 23, 2010
I am awesome. I am a ghost hunter...EXPERT in my field. I know all about ghosts. No one can beat me!! G.J. rules and kills ghosts!!!! Yeah!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oh SH1T! CLAUDIA TENNEY WINS NY22 PRIMARY BIG T... 3 min slate rot bush 21
Utica schools a mess! 7 min Wasteful spending 16
Jackie Gigloitti 17 min So sad 2
Carbone 27 min ken 37
News Police release name of officer, suspect in offi... 48 min ken 6
Utica Club sign 49 min wow 2
omg PUNK SMITH SAYING HE'S GOING TO TALK TO COP 57 min ROG SHATJealously 35
Guess who didnt graduate from ND 58 min ROG SHATJealously 80
karam family salaries in ucsd 11 hr Be Professional 8
rob esche getting divorced 20 hr New Hartford Queen 54