Old Utica Psychiatric Center buildings?
Level 1

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#42 Aug 4, 2010
There is a killer working at NYSPC, please be careful around him, and could you please help put it where it belongs.

Please copy the short story and story links and send them to the links below. We need to get this story National attention so the killer can pay for the murder of a young innocent girl.

People of topix I need a little help, I have submitted written info to the producers of 20/20 and
Good Morning America, this is what I ask you to help me with, remember we are a team, and as a team we can make the guilty pay.

When you go to the two ABC links, you will see a column, it has the shows you can submit to, please
submit to 20/20 and Good Morning America, I can't tell you if they will help us, but if we hound them,
it just helps our chances.

To whom it may concern:

There is a cold case that I plead you to air and bring national attention to for the sake of it being solved. It is the Kimberly Simon Murder. On Sept. 18, 1985, The police discover her body the following day, less than a mile from her home. She was beaten, strangled, and sexually assaulted and was murdered. Steven Barnes is convicted of murdering her in 1989. He is released in 2008 with the help of his mother and the Innocence Project. He is excluded by DNA and released from jail, he was innocent. Now, local investigators are trying to make an airtight case. They have a difficult job ahead of them with an overturned conviction. AMW tried to help by airing the case in March 2010.

The 25th anniversary of Kim's death and murder will be September 18, 2010. PLEASE HELP!
Even if you just give the story a 2-3 minute spot, it could bring the guilty to justice.
This is what is needed, if you could just let people know this--, There is a small neighborhood called Perry Manor, manor, manors, located off RT 12B in New Hartford NY, if anyone was friends or dated someone in this area you might have been told something by one of the guilty, please contact the Kim Simon task force-(three one five, seven nine eight,fifty four hundred), if you remember anything that you were told by someone in this neighborhood, even something small such as I did something bad. The family's and friends need
peace for 25 years of suffering.

These are links about the story:

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm ...

http://www.uticaod.com/news/x99753236/3-perso ...

********** Topix people, below are links to send story to.

MOST IMPORTANT NANCY GRACE

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form5.html...

This is the ABC link, please submit to both 20/20 and GMA

http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page...

This is Nightline

http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page...
franny

Albany, NY

#43 Aug 4, 2010
And does anyone a guy named Chuck that works at the psych center???
it WILL be national news

United States

#44 Aug 4, 2010
when they arrest the Kim Simon murderer
Project

Cortland, NY

#45 Aug 4, 2010
Make these bldgs low rent hud or whatever we call these programs we have for the curse of our nation, move ppl in then turn it into a prison overnite to clean up the streets of utica.

Great idea huh?
Hal

Moravia, NY

#46 Aug 4, 2010
Her real killer is JosephBongiorno from Frankfort.
so interesting

Herkimer, NY

#47 Aug 4, 2010
Back to the original topic...I wrote an email, and have been told that there was a tour given in June, and it was very successful. No plans for future tours have been made at this time. I am working on getting a contact at the NYSPC itself. I will continue to keep you that are interested informed! If anyone has any connections, please speak up and we can communicate through different means thank you!
More Info

Syracuse, NY

#48 Aug 4, 2010
There are many blds left and quite a few were torn down. Back in the day there were a lot of activities. There was a large greenhouse where patients grew flowers and arranged them and I think vegtables in the off season. There was an upolstery shop where they recovered hospital furniture and you could take your own and for the price of materials have yours own done. There was art therapy, a gym, the power house, the nursing dorms, separate blds for quaranteeing tb, etc patients. tThey has a few pregnancies every year in spite of precautions. I' not sure how that was handled.

Call Roanne Destito. Maybe she can arrange something. Be great to do on Holloween. Could be a fundraiser for some NFP. That might get it going.
Wondering

Rome, NY

#49 Aug 4, 2010
def keep us posted and thank you!!
nope

Camillus, NY

#50 Aug 4, 2010
so interesting wrote:
Back to the original topic...I wrote an email, and have been told that there was a tour given in June, and it was very successful. No plans for future tours have been made at this time. I am working on getting a contact at the NYSPC itself. I will continue to keep you that are interested informed! If anyone has any connections, please speak up and we can communicate through different means thank you!
They won't let you in.
jill

United States

#51 Aug 6, 2010
Jessy wrote:
I currently work there. Believe me, people are still crazy as ever despite all the new medications because they refuse to take them. Never a dull moment in this field of work.
I agree with you,never a dull moment!!
Anarchy

Camillus, NY

#52 Aug 7, 2010
jill wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you,never a dull moment!!
You people have no idea!!!!
That campus is f**kin wild
abby

United States

#53 Aug 8, 2010
You would have a better chance of seeing elvis on rutger then getting into any of those bldgs they only let people in on the first floor. I've never known the state of ny to allow anyone in other parts of old main no use calling or emailing.
so interesting

Herkimer, NY

#54 Aug 9, 2010
After contacting the person in charge, I have been told that they WILL NOT do a tour for us. I am sooo bummed.
wondering

Rome, NY

#55 Aug 9, 2010
darn:(
gee whiz

Camillus, NY

#56 Aug 13, 2010
wondering wrote:
darn:(
Double darn!!
Susan

New Hartford, NY

#57 Aug 13, 2010
As I am employed there as an RN, mental illness is real and the patients are often in a psychotic state, totally out of touch with reality. They are in danger of harming themselves and others. People tend to think that the methods used in the past to keep them safe was barbaric but I know that it was done not as punishment but for safety reasons.I can't even count the number of co-workers I have worked with that have been injured or permantly disabled. The truth is, their illness causes them to act paranoid and violent in response to delusions and hallucinations. They in their own mind often believe they are Jesus themselves, part of the FBA, rock stars and various othe prominent people of society. Most of them have never lived a productive functioning life, some have even murdered but deemed insane at the time.
Thankful

Syracuse, NY

#58 Aug 13, 2010
Susan wrote:
As I am employed there as an RN, mental illness is real and the patients are often in a psychotic state, totally out of touch with reality. They are in danger of harming themselves and others. People tend to think that the methods used in the past to keep them safe was barbaric but I know that it was done not as punishment but for safety reasons.I can't even count the number of co-workers I have worked with that have been injured or permantly disabled. The truth is, their illness causes them to act paranoid and violent in response to delusions and hallucinations. They in their own mind often believe they are Jesus themselves, part of the FBA, rock stars and various othe prominent people of society. Most of them have never lived a productive functioning life, some have even murdered but deemed insane at the time.
Families should be thankful that there are people like you that are willing to care for the severely insane. These days only the worst cases are hospitalized and I know that in some cases you are forced to get a court order to medicate an individual. Since there were no psychotropic drugs restraint was the obvious choice for the violent patients. I think some of the negatives you are reading come from the fact that many of the committed in the old days were not actually mentally ill. In the first floor of Old Main the patients were free to wander the hall and sunrooms. Those are the people that were "freed" wihout real preparation for independent life and those without family support did not do well.

Years ago I visited the state mental hospital in Ogdensberg, NY. It was the red brick buildings like Marcy and right on the St. Lawrence river. They told us they lost several patients to drowning in the river every year. Obviously they were people that were free to walk the grounds.

They had a locked ward for children that was closed to all but family members. Because we were Psyc students we were taken it. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen.In there were infants to older children. They were the most damaged humans I have ever seen. There were babies whose heads were so huge they could not sit up. There were children that had to be in a padded playpen contraption and in restaints because they would bang their heads and limbs constantly, some that had that awful blankness that you knew they were unaware and some severely autistic kids, crippled, palsy, limbless etc. You get the picture. The nurses and attendents taking care of them were angels. They were clean nourished and well cared for and thats hard to do when you get no response in return. The ward was locked to keep it from being a sideshow and also because their health was precarious and infection was a problem so the fewer people in cut down on exposure. I have always been curious if Utica had such a place. Institution is not as easily accepted today. Back then the kids did not last long but with medical advances there are fewer such kids and better medical treatment and of course now abortion is legal and it wasn't then so I assume fewer of these extreme cases are born. I wonder if you could tell me if Utica used to offer this service and if it still does.
so interesting

Herkimer, NY

#59 Aug 14, 2010
I enjoy hearing stories like this. I am quite interested in mental health and its history. I still want to get a full tour somehow of old main!
in youir service

United States

#60 Aug 14, 2010
they tired to treat my mental illness buy putting me in the basement of the main building in a room full of snakes it worked now am mayor of utica
Sooooo

Marcellus, NY

#61 Aug 18, 2010
Who has been in there? Anyone know Security?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
President Trump a Great Leader 8 min Countryman 10
Kayliegh Hanna blames "THE BLAAACKS!!" for Downs! 14 min The City Of Riggies 18
Why are Uticans so defensive & parrot-stupid? 14 min Beenthere 15
Joette Mancuso 39 min Kelli 26
Palmieri History 59 min joe mazza 11
Work On Aud Improvements 1 hr An Even Better Bu... 450
Lisa Beckwith (Oct '16) 1 hr SawIt 18
Kelly Uvanni or the Summitt car girl? 1 hr Frank Z 14
Need a good Divorce Lawyer in New Hartford? 9 hr One Down 103

Utica Jobs