Linda

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

I worked 5 years in Pinefield and burned out so I transferred to Wright Building. I don't think anyone is aware of the Bigamy issue, I work with his most recent (ex)wife (which happens to be a great person per all my co-workers but heard that the breakup was due to abuse and him being a possible murder suspect.
cool wrote:
<quoted text>
So do you know B Phillips, M White, they have had over 30 at
york st, they don't know Olive boy, see Olive was at Seneca, until he had to leave for having an affair with a married women.
He just keep saying he was going to kill himself because she would not leave her husband, so he has only been at york st for maybe two or three years. Now he married a person who works their, but he was already married so he will be going to prison for Bigamy soon.
Hey Nam

Oneida, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Judged:

Toured the building (OLD MAIN) it is disgusting and the ghosts there must be angry. Can you imagine all of the torture. What a terrible thing to do to humans.
cool

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2010

Linda wrote:
I worked 5 years in Pinefield and burned out so I transferred to Wright Building. I don't think anyone is aware of the Bigamy issue, I work with his most recent (ex)wife (which happens to be a great person per all my co-workers but heard that the breakup was due to abuse and him being a possible murder suspect.
<quoted text>
Pinefield!
You know someone they called RD, ask one of the old timers that worked at Pinefield about RD.

Sounded at first like you where sticking up for Olive boy, just wanted you to know the truth, and be careful around him.
Joe Bumbalo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

History wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of bad bad things happened in Old Main, the large grey stone building on whitesboro st. This was the first insane asylym in the US. In those days they had no medication so people were chained to the walls. Treatment proceeded in various directions. In one case they put adults in a crib with a top now known as the Utica Crib. They used ice water baths, insulin shock, electoconvulsive shock and may other horrible procedures.
The saddest history is that there was no real diagnosis of insanity so "incorigible" children, unwanted wives and family members, enemies, and tb paitients as well as other comunicable diseases before antibiotics, and the indigent were locked up. Many children and youth lived their entire lives there when there was actually nothing wrong with them when they arrived. After a few years of this torture they must have been disturbed and since they had nowhere to go they just lived on there.
They periodically have tours at the main building although it is being used for storage and is gutted but you do get a feel for the living conditions.
When me and my friends where younger back in early 90's we used to skip school and hangout in there.There is alot of freaky stuff that goes on in there seen a few things and you always hear breathing like there right on top of you and screaming plus whispering.There still is a way in there.
tunnel rat

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

CNY cafe wrote:
thye are all owned by NYS dept of health, they wer all part of the psych centers. the big red brick was rented for many years by Junior Junction Day care until the building was deemed unsafe and health hazard.
Owned by Office of mental health
really

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

Joe Bumbalo wrote:
<quoted text>
When me and my friends where younger back in early 90's we used to skip school and hangout in there.There is alot of freaky stuff that goes on in there seen a few things and you always hear breathing like there right on top of you and screaming plus whispering.There still is a way in there.
Do tell....
its only me

Mexico, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

so interesting wrote:
I too would like to tour Old Main and the others. Does anyone know whom to contact?
utica monday night started off the season with tours of the place and guess hundreds showed up maybe if you contact someone from there they might be doing another tour. did my nurses training at the place and can tell you getting off the main floors and seeing the basement with the wall chains and such really impacted you .up in the attic were suitcases of the patients stuff, thats all they came with, some patients were "lured" by the families bringing them there with "were going for a ride i want to check out this place, and we'll come back and get you, and they never did".very intriguing place.
Albany

Baldwinsville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

its only me wrote:
<quoted text> utica monday night started off the season with tours of the place and guess hundreds showed up maybe if you contact someone from there they might be doing another tour. did my nurses training at the place and can tell you getting off the main floors and seeing the basement with the wall chains and such really impacted you .up in the attic were suitcases of the patients stuff, thats all they came with, some patients were "lured" by the families bringing them there with "were going for a ride i want to check out this place, and we'll come back and get you, and they never did".very intriguing place.
About 10 years ago the state museum in Albany did an exhibit about the state mental facilities. They had collected suitcases and trunks from the attics of the closed hospitals and had some of them on display. They belonged to patients that were long dead and the families did not receive their effects for a number of reasons. It was very sad and very moving. Some of the olest had those old fashioned party dresses which were never needed once the patients were imprisoned.

If there is such a thing as ghosts, the place must be filled with them. There are tunnels on the property connecting many of the buildings. Then staff and patients could move around without going out in the winter weather and without danger of escape.

The land that Utica College is built on was part of the Hospital farm. There was a large farmhouse where the church is now. It had a broad porch and in the evening when you went by patients would be sitting on the porch rocking and rocking in chairs to sooth themselves. They grew much of the food for the hospital. There was also a hospital farm at the Marcy Hospital. No tours there because those building are part of the prison. I wonder if they have ghosts.
Ghost

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

They should get taps in there,that would be great.
so interesting

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

so who should be contacted for a tour do you think? I know many people that would be interested
Ghost

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

so interesting wrote:
so who should be contacted for a tour do you think? I know many people that would be interested
I would contact the state people.Or we could all just get together and make our own way in?Thats an option to!
Wondering

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

someone should def find out how to get a tour in there.
Wondering

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

http://www.uticalandmarks.org/
maybe we can contact someone from there
so interesting

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2010

I will call them today and see if they can help us out. I will post here when I get home from work!
Wondering

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2010

Sounds good!
so interesting

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2010

No one answered so I am sending an email. Will keep you posted!
Bah

Kearny, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2010

If the give a tour, your only going to see half of the renovated first floor. It's interesting if you have an imagination, since there's really nothing in there.

2nd and 3rd floors are untouched and far more interesting but you can't go up there.
so interesting

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2010

well, I hope I can find a way to see the entire thing.
really

Mexico, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2010

make friends with the security person!!!
Wondering

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2010

keep us posted

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of103
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

320 Users are viewing the Utica Forum right now

Search the Utica Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
water authority 4 min lets investigate 4
Observer Dispatch - CNY News For Stupid People 4 min Stupidest People on Earth 1
Dan LaBella...where is he now? 7 min billy 103
Utica comets website expired 8 min Comets Website 8
Voss Is Open and Packed 9 min annoying neighbors 29
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 13 min Why 6,273
Dave Testa stop selling out West Utica 14 min really 2
Official: Goodbye Comets 17 min They never cease to amaze 39
Proctor baseball 2 hr PeteinNH 31
comets vancouver 2 hr No one important 111
•••

Flood Warning for Oneida County was issued at April 16 at 4:06AM EDT

•••
•••