Old Utica Psychiatric Center buildings?

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Wondering

Rome, NY

#1 Jul 28, 2010
Ive been wondering if anybody has any info on the other buildings besides the "Old Main" big grey building. im curious about what the big red brick building on noyes st. was all about and is it a newer building than the old main?
any info appreciated.

Level 1

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#2 Jul 29, 2010
thye are all owned by NYS dept of health, they wer all part of the psych centers. the big red brick was rented for many years by Junior Junction Day care until the building was deemed unsafe and health hazard.
Wondering

Rome, NY

#3 Jul 29, 2010
your talking about the big one on the corner of noyes that is kind of across from donovan?

Level 2

Since: Jul 09

Oneida, NY

#4 Jul 29, 2010
The property on Noyes St. was a modern facility in its times, it was built to replace the Old Main building. One side was for females and one side was for males. The day rooms are the windows that are located on the sides. This facility employed many from the community and was associated with the Marcy State property,
Wondering

Rome, NY

#5 Jul 29, 2010
okay so that is more modern then. when did they stop using that building?

Level 2

Since: Jul 09

New York Mills, NY

#6 Jul 29, 2010
Laws were made to protect the mentally ill from being confined to a facility for mental illness unless the person is criminally insane or unable to adapt to a community based DSS Homes, The is a facility next to the old second property that is for adults that are committed by the nature of there illness. Across from this facility is the children's center named Pinefield. Then Marcy is used for the criminally insane. These old buildings are maintained by the State to protect the buildings integrity.
Joe

New York, NY

#7 Jul 29, 2010
If you came to Utica in the early to mid 70's, after deinstitutionalization, you would have seen downtown, at the lunch counters of the then 5 and 10 stores, Woolworth's and Neisner's, dozens of poor displaced mentally ill people who were released from these facilities without proper follow up care, smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee all day. Many of them were kind but very sad people. Unfortunately, this is one of my sadder Utica childhood memories and yet another page in the history of mental healthcare by NYS.
I think

New York, NY

#8 Jul 29, 2010
I worked for 20 years in the building you are referring to. In the 70's and ending in the 80's there were 500 plus psychiatric patients in that building. In the 80's the state decided to release most of the patients into neighborhoods and out patient facilities. The state said it was better for the patient but we all know it was to expensive. The building emptied out and became obsolete. A new smaller facility was built just west of there and now houses about 100 inpatients.
Modern Building

Baldwinsville, NY

#9 Jul 29, 2010
A few years ago, I questioned then Mayor Julian about the "high rise" (is this the Brigham bld or is that the new one story) since it was set up as a hospital with bedroons, lounges, bathrooms, kitchen, laundry etc as to using it to house the needy and/or homeless. He told me the building is full of aesbestos and would cost millions to renovate. So it cannot be used. Pretty sad.

The hospital director's house is at the corner of York and Whitesboro. I'm told by people that were in it that is is a beautiful victorian. Too bad no one is living there or using it for offices.

The state is not maintaining these buildings they are just boarding them up and letting them rot until they are too far gone and need to be torn down. To me it would be a great spot with all the buildings and lawns. Too bad the state can't make use of them or give them to some organization that could. Of course there are the ghosts to worry about.

I agree that the release of the patients was all about the $$$. At least at the hospital they had three squares, someone to look out for them and activities. Now they are just lost souls eating at Hope House and dying alone in their rooms.
Wondering

Rome, NY

#10 Jul 29, 2010
The newer big red facility on noyes is just fascinating to me because of its looks and god only knows what things went on in there. and i wouldnt doubt there being ghosts in there either. i wish i could tour inside of it lol.
History

Baldwinsville, NY

#11 Jul 30, 2010
Wondering wrote:
The newer big red facility on noyes is just fascinating to me because of its looks and god only knows what things went on in there. and i wouldnt doubt there being ghosts in there either. i wish i could tour inside of it lol.
A lot of bad bad things happened in Old Main, the large grey stone building on whitesboro st. This was the first insane asylym in the US. In those days they had no medication so people were chained to the walls. Treatment proceeded in various directions. In one case they put adults in a crib with a top now known as the Utica Crib. They used ice water baths, insulin shock, electoconvulsive shock and may other horrible procedures.

The saddest history is that there was no real diagnosis of insanity so "incorigible" children, unwanted wives and family members, enemies, and tb paitients as well as other comunicable diseases before antibiotics, and the indigent were locked up. Many children and youth lived their entire lives there when there was actually nothing wrong with them when they arrived. After a few years of this torture they must have been disturbed and since they had nowhere to go they just lived on there.

They periodically have tours at the main building although it is being used for storage and is gutted but you do get a feel for the living conditions.
Old Timer

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Jul 30, 2010
In the seventies I spent 3 years locked up in big red building on Noyes. Then in the early 80's I took the Mental Health Therapy Aid civil service exam and scored an 86. I then worked at the newest building, when it opened, across the street from Donovan (with olive boy) until just last year when I retired with 25 years. Go figure.
Wondering

Rome, NY

#13 Jul 31, 2010
id love to tour that place lol
cicero

Cortland, NY

#14 Jul 31, 2010
History wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot of bad bad things happened in Old Main, the large grey stone building on whitesboro st. This was the first insane asylym in the US. In those days they had no medication so people were chained to the walls. Treatment proceeded in various directions. In one case they put adults in a crib with a top now known as the Utica Crib. They used ice water baths, insulin shock, electoconvulsive shock and may other horrible procedures.
The saddest history is that there was no real diagnosis of insanity so "incorigible" children, unwanted wives and family members, enemies, and tb paitients as well as other comunicable diseases before antibiotics, and the indigent were locked up. Many children and youth lived their entire lives there when there was actually nothing wrong with them when they arrived. After a few years of this torture they must have been disturbed and since they had nowhere to go they just lived on there.
They periodically have tours at the main building although it is being used for storage and is gutted but you do get a feel for the living conditions.
a picture of the crib and the rooms http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2382/223045123...
so interesting

Utica, NY

#15 Aug 1, 2010
I too would like to tour Old Main and the others. Does anyone know whom to contact?
Jessy

Clinton, NY

#16 Aug 1, 2010
I currently work there. Believe me, people are still crazy as ever despite all the new medications because they refuse to take them. Never a dull moment in this field of work.
Linda

Clinton, NY

#17 Aug 1, 2010
Interesting, I must know you, been an RN there for 11 years but whoever you are I never knew you had been inpatient.

Old Timer wrote:
In the seventies I spent 3 years locked up in big red building on Noyes. Then in the early 80's I took the Mental Health Therapy Aid civil service exam and scored an 86. I then worked at the newest building, when it opened, across the street from Donovan (with olive boy) until just last year when I retired with 25 years. Go figure.
cool

United States

#18 Aug 1, 2010
Linda wrote:
Interesting, I must know you, been an RN there for 11 years but whoever you are I never knew you had been inpatient.
<quoted text>
So do you know B Phillips, M White, they have had over 30 at
york st, they don't know Olive boy, see Olive was at Seneca, until he had to leave for having an affair with a married women.
He just keep saying he was going to kill himself because she would not leave her husband, so he has only been at york st for maybe two or three years. Now he married a person who works their, but he was already married so he will be going to prison for Bigamy soon.
paris hill choker

United States

#19 Aug 1, 2010
I love to choke, need to choke, can't help choking,
wish I could choke someone now, must choke, its in my blood to choke, I love to choke, then my chicken,
then choke some more. Now I have to choke, can't stop thinking about choking, just one more.
paris hill choker

United States

#20 Aug 1, 2010
Love my hands, feels so good to squeeze, need to I must can't help it get so aroused when I do it love to must have to need to just one more

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Big drug bust new hartford 25,000 cash money 10 min To be expected 3
Are Mike R. and Jessica W. still a couple. 20 min Old News 3
(anyone know a polish guy named martin in west ... 1 hr ssc 2
What Song Are You Listening To Right Now? (Sep '11) 1 hr willie nelson 414
David Inserra 2 hr Tough momma 2
Utica Vomits -embarrassing 3 hr Comets Welfare Stars 37
Comets look Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! 3 hr Comets Welfare Stars 21
Rat Picente endorses Cuomo in TV ads 4 hr Comets Welfare Stars 21
Proctor football should be ashamed. 5 hr Get a life 15
School Principals 6 hr Bernie 5