AHL coming to Utica

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Taxman

Syracuse, NY

#1 May 18, 2013
Dear Utica/Oneida County taxpayers:

BOHICA, baby!

Sincerely, Utica pro hockey ghosts
beerbelly

Syracuse, NY

#2 May 18, 2013
How long will they stay ?
Taxman

Syracuse, NY

#3 May 18, 2013
How long? Long enough to leave Uticans and those in OC a huge bill. We've been there, done that, but we don't learn.
Lol

Camillus, NY

#4 May 18, 2013
You people don't pay for shit. Be happy your taxes are going to something useful instead of heap and welfare for crows of utica
David Smith

Camillus, NY

#5 May 18, 2013
beerbelly wrote:
How long will they stay ?
Likely minimum of 3 years...
UticaHockey

Utica, NY

#7 May 19, 2013
Utica Prison Fort Center wrote:
1 year max for the Canucks and then utica is in a fight with glens falls for the flames affiliation. If utica wants this to work you better put your best foot forward this year.
As much as I would love to see the AHL come to Utica again I would hope that walk away rather than signing a one year contract. Too much money needs to be spent on the Aud just to make it viable for AHL hockey for a one year commitment. Vancouver needs to sign a multi-year deal with an escape clause that allows them to leave only if it is an affiliation swap with another team.
Experience an wisdom

Syracuse, NY

#8 May 19, 2013
I agree with the Taxman and most others. Bend Over, Here It Comes Again, Utica taxpayers.
Aud

Melrose, MA

#9 May 19, 2013
I just don't understand how a team can downgrade. Google Peoria civic center and look at the pictures compared to the aud it looks like a castle. Plus they average over 4500 a game which the aud doesn't even hold. Why would they move here unless the money saved on leasing the aud and travel fees make up the difference. I hope they do come bit just saying
Truth

Utica, NY

#11 May 20, 2013
Experience an wisdom wrote:
I agree with the Taxman and most others. Bend Over, Here It Comes Again, Utica taxpayers.
Don't just write it here.

Call or write to Brindisi, Butler, Griffo, Cuomo.... whoever your rep is and tell them that at a time when Utica can't pave its' streets for lack of funds, teachers are losing their jobs as a result of funding cuts, New York is over $60 billion in debt, funding for persons with developmental disabilities is being cut, you just don't think it's a good time to spend taxpayer dollars on Aud improvements to attract an AHL team.

Ask them how many more of these schemes that enrich the few at the expense of the many we should have to endure. None of these things ever seems to work out do they?
Truth

Utica, NY

#12 May 20, 2013
Aud wrote:
I just don't understand how a team can downgrade. Google Peoria civic center and look at the pictures compared to the aud it looks like a castle. Plus they average over 4500 a game which the aud doesn't even hold. Why would they move here unless the money saved on leasing the aud and travel fees make up the difference. I hope they do come bit just saying
Part of the reason they decided against Peoria too was because locals were unwilling to give them a financial package that would ease the pain of their financial losses. This team lost $400,000 last year. You have to ask what kind of incentives are they asking the taxpayers of New York State and in particular our region for. Remember, their first choice was Abbotsford but they couldn't get the Flames to give up the sweet revenue deal they have with that city. the Flames have cost the taxpayers of Abbotsford millions of dollars in just the first four years of their ten year deal. Do we want something like that just because a small minority of the population wants an AHL team?
PAVE

Yorkville, NY

#13 May 20, 2013
Paving streets will never bring people to Utica, sorry. That's not to say we shouldn't do it though. But we have been hearing this for decades and the streets only get worse. So just stop with the street maintenance stuff; it's not happening REGARDLESS if we get a team or not!
hamburgers

Yorkville, NY

#14 May 20, 2013
You people are SO depressed here...just listen and read what you state and type!! You're so stuck in the 80's and 90's with your hockey (sports mentality in general) with the whole "we been down that path before".

Get a grip and dive into a change for once. People learn from their mistakes and this time around it's Esche who's involved. Like him or hate him he's a LOCAL here; the last thing he's going to do is screw us (like former teams did 20 years ago), especially when he's trying to run his own business in the area.

I don't care how bad/good a local economy is, with GREAT management any hockey (or sport) team can work if managed and run well. That will require trust from the fans and community. With that I will say this: I agree that they're better off declining a team rather than going with only a year or two contract. We need more commitment than that, especially as it will probably take at least one season to get you angry/depressed fans back!!
UticaHockey

Utica, NY

#15 May 20, 2013
hamburgers wrote:
You people are SO depressed here...just listen and read what you state and type!! You're so stuck in the 80's and 90's with your hockey (sports mentality in general) with the whole "we been down that path before".
Get a grip and dive into a change for once. People learn from their mistakes and this time around it's Esche who's involved. Like him or hate him he's a LOCAL here; the last thing he's going to do is screw us (like former teams did 20 years ago), especially when he's trying to run his own business in the area.
I don't care how bad/good a local economy is, with GREAT management any hockey (or sport) team can work if managed and run well. That will require trust from the fans and community. With that I will say this: I agree that they're better off declining a team rather than going with only a year or two contract. We need more commitment than that, especially as it will probably take at least one season to get you angry/depressed fans back!!
Great post!
hamburgers

Yorkville, NY

#16 May 20, 2013
UticaHockey wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post!
Well thanks ... I'm sure I'll get bashing against me for posting soon enough, but I'm just so sick of people who keep putting this area down. Previous politics did most of it. Poor management did it to past sports teams. It's time we step up (2 decades later) a try something different. Every other god damn city around us seems to run a team, even depressed Binghamton! Our ppl are just so depressed here and don't have the heart to step up and accept a CHANGE or at least give an effort to do so.
Truth

Utica, NY

#17 May 20, 2013
hamburgers wrote:
You people are SO depressed here...just listen and read what you state and type!! You're so stuck in the 80's and 90's with your hockey (sports mentality in general) with the whole "we been down that path before".
Get a grip and dive into a change for once. People learn from their mistakes and this time around it's Esche who's involved. Like him or hate him he's a LOCAL here; the last thing he's going to do is screw us (like former teams did 20 years ago), especially when he's trying to run his own business in the area.
I don't care how bad/good a local economy is, with GREAT management any hockey (or sport) team can work if managed and run well. That will require trust from the fans and community. With that I will say this: I agree that they're better off declining a team rather than going with only a year or two contract. We need more commitment than that, especially as it will probably take at least one season to get you angry/depressed fans back!!
Look no further than the finacial histories of the Peoria Rivermen now owned by Vancouver and the Abbotsford Heat. These are the two teams we are talking about for Utica afterall. Peoria lost $400,000 last year and the Heat have cost the taxpayers of Abbotsford millions of dollars over the first four years of their ten year deal. In light of the current financial situation in this region can you honestly say this is a good idea?

If the management and investors want to bring in a team and give it a go on their own dime then I'm all for it. I think most people would be for it. What we shouldn't do is spend on thin dime of taxpayer money on anything that has been shown to be a loser and financially, these teams are that.
Truth

Utica, NY

#18 May 20, 2013
PAVE wrote:
Paving streets will never bring people to Utica, sorry. That's not to say we shouldn't do it though. But we have been hearing this for decades and the streets only get worse. So just stop with the street maintenance stuff; it's not happening REGARDLESS if we get a team or not!
An AHL team isn't going to bring people to Utica either but that isn't my point.

The point is that Utica didn't include a line item in the recently passed budget for paving even though by law they are required to do that.$2 million annually. No one should even think about spending a dime on Aud improvements to attract an AHL team unless and until at least the minmum in terms of infrastructure maintenance is accomplished. I'm talking about just minimully taking care of the people(taxpayers) who are left here rather than spending money on entertainment that will serve only a very small slice of the population. How many times does this have to be proven? Weren't the Stanley, the City Center, the Hotel Utica, Piers and Blake and rest of the publicly financed projects that were billed as key to turning around our area and failed enough to show the folly of such thinking?

You want hockey? Pay for it yourself.
hamburgers

Yorkville, NY

#19 May 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
An AHL team isn't going to bring people to Utica either but that isn't my point.
The point is that Utica didn't include a line item in the recently passed budget for paving even though by law they are required to do that.$2 million annually. No one should even think about spending a dime on Aud improvements to attract an AHL team unless and until at least the minmum in terms of infrastructure maintenance is accomplished. I'm talking about just minimully taking care of the people(taxpayers) who are left here rather than spending money on entertainment that will serve only a very small slice of the population. How many times does this have to be proven? Weren't the Stanley, the City Center, the Hotel Utica, Piers and Blake and rest of the publicly financed projects that were billed as key to turning around our area and failed enough to show the folly of such thinking?
You want hockey? Pay for it yourself.
Depression Complaint #1...
Truth

Utica, NY

#20 May 20, 2013
hamburgers wrote:
<quoted text>
Depression Complaint #1...
What does that mean?
well

Camillus, NY

#21 May 20, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that mean?
It means he doesn't have a logical reply. By the way, I agree with everything you said.
BOHICA

New Hartford, NY

#22 May 20, 2013
What is that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
biggest area jerk off 3 min Ozzy 4
Why I left (and love it!) 26 min Old Erie 5
ford says talerino should step down 43 min May Need Meds 5
Time Warner Cable: frequent internet service di... 48 min Someone who knows 5
CNY "media" always begging for fake "Charity" &... 50 min Turkeys for turkeys 1
Know you're a Utica Comets Welfare Hockey fan w... 1 hr Utica Welfare Comets 19
Joe Bonanossa Joining Allman Brothers 1 hr Joes loser fans 45
Charlie Shove 1 hr brobrah 49
frozen dome classic 6 hr Nobody cared 44
Local Greaser Angelo "Wopslop" Nole dies! Good ... 7 hr Deam that dream 23
state farm new hartford 10 hr Knows him 46
Utica Dating
Find my Match

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:09 pm PST

NFL 8:09PM
Bills grateful for Lions' hospitality in Detroit
NFL 8:09 PM
Bills grateful for Lions' hospitality in Detroit
NFL 7:22 AM
Bills fan plans to keep 21-year game streak going with trip to Detroit
NBC Sports11:10 AM
Jerry Hughes fined $22,050 for abusive language to an official
NBC Sports12:47 PM
Eric Decker admits it's tough to see Emmanuel Sanders's success
Bleacher Report 1:30 PM
Kennard Learned What It Takes to Be Successful from Dad
NBC Sports 2:48 PM
Bills practice in Detroit prepping for Jets game - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:48 PM
Bills practice in Detroit prepping for Jets game - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 4:51 PM
Doug Marrone: Fred Jackson likely to play vs. Jets
NBC Sports 6:04 PM
Rested Cowboys favored over Giants on SNF - NBC Sports