Where can I buy cheap windows and Doors

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joey

AOL

#1 Nov 30, 2010
I have been pricing windows and doors wow way to expensive.
AO Loser

Herkimer, NY

#2 Nov 30, 2010
What size windows and doors does your trailer take?
Joeys Freezing Family

Herkimer, NY

#3 Nov 30, 2010
There is a house on Scott st that is going to be demolished soon, maybe you can make a midnight run over there!
Jenny

AOL

#5 Nov 30, 2010
I bought beautiful from New York Sash very happy with them . Remember you get what you pay for. I live in a Moble Home and its beautiful This is the way to go when Your retired, very safe and beautiful
Phillip

AOL

#6 Nov 30, 2010
There is a Place on Broad don't know the name but they sell windows and Doors, However I think it's a cash deal and no tax credit. Go to New York Sash great windows awesome service and windows are life time warranty /
Jill

Clark Mills, NY

#7 Nov 30, 2010
Yes as my employees Jenny and Phillip said buy from NY Trash and you'll get some of what you pay for.....that and you can tit fcuk me!....;)
Marie L

Ithaca, NY

#8 Nov 30, 2010
NY SASH is the biggest rip off joint in the area. SAT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!
Jill

Clark Mills, NY

#9 Nov 30, 2010
and after you give me a pearl necklace you can give my fat load husband one! He swallows too!
Mary

AOL

#10 Nov 30, 2010
what a bumch of perverts on here , many classless people . You sound like a real low life Jill and Marie. Pretty pathetic people on here.. I need to stay off of here I'm way above you perverts. Have God in your heart.
Wager St

AOL

#12 Nov 30, 2010
Phillip wrote:
There is a Place on Broad don't know the name but they sell windows and Doors, However I think it's a cash deal and no tax credit. Go to New York Sash great windows awesome service and windows are life time warranty /
Chuckie Bick runs that place
window guy

Baldwinsville, NY

#13 Nov 30, 2010
good windows are going to cost $350 -$500 installed.

NY Sash, Barrier, and Sears charge like $1000+ per window because they have ridiculous overhead and high commission salespeople.

Sh*tty installation and poor quality windows with no warranty will be like $200 -$300
state rte 5

AOL

#14 Nov 30, 2010
hartness install windows lol lol lol
window guy

Baldwinsville, NY

#17 Nov 30, 2010
DIY - Just thought I'd tell you something interesting and hilarious...

Republic Window and Door shut down their plant a couple years ago and put hundreds of people out of business while also eliminating any kind of warranties that came with them. Typical company that Barrier would do business with.
Wameling

Lisbon, ME

#18 Dec 1, 2010
window guy wrote:
good windows are going to cost $350 -$500 installed.
NY Sash, Barrier, and Sears charge like $1000+ per window because they have ridiculous overhead and high commission salespeople.
Sh*tty installation and poor quality windows with no warranty will be like $200 -$300
The truth of the matter is they do charge too much for installation and overhead.
A good quality window can cost between $250 and $350 dollars.
The rest is overhead and profit.
They put more than 35 points on their mark up.
window guy

Baldwinsville, NY

#19 Dec 1, 2010
To give some insight as to how much windows cost and why they can cost so much, I'll give you some figures:

I own a medium sized window and siding company locally and I've done everything possible to keep the cost as reasonable as possible without sacrificing any quality or service.

1.) Regular Double Hung vinyl replacement windows cost around $130 to contractors. Believe it or not, the size doesn't really matter unless they get REALLY big. Custom made windows will cost the same to contractors whether they are 20x25 or 40x59.

2.) It's important to upgrade the windows to have Argon gas fill and Low E coatings so that they actually reduce energy costs and keep you warm. This costs about $30 extra to us.

3.) To properly seal a window, you need to have the outside frame capped with aluminum and caulked using high quality sealant that won't break down. Aluminum is about $10 per window and high quality caulk is about $6 per tube.

4.) Often interior stops need to be replaced in the window and that costs around $8 per window. Repairing a sill or rotting in the jambs will cost more too.

5.) Insulation is needed to fill the gap around the window which costs about $2.

6.) Sales tax is applied to all materials, and also there is a $15 -$20 charge to have them delivered. Also, disposal of the old windows costs around $10 at the dump.

7.) This brings our total cost so far, JUST for materials to install one window to be about $210.

LABOR, OVERHEAD, AND PROFIT.

The contractor has to make money, period. A good contractor that cares, has experience, and is skilled costs minimum $55 -$100 per window in labor.

I pay my salesmen $25 per window (which is extremely low compared to other companies but we're not as greedy).

Insurance, Workmans Comp, paperwork supplies, and office overhead adds around %20 of total cost (insurance and comp are VERY expensive).

Marketing costs are about $100 per job to me. This is EXTREMELY low compared to most everyone else. This is where the difference in companies prices can really matter. NY Sash and Barrier are CONSTANTLY advertising on TV, Billboards, Newspapers, etc... and all these huge costs are built into the cost of the windows. I'm able to reduce these costs substantially by developing my customer base through word of mouth, referrals, and targeted direct mail.

Now add 15% or so for the business to cover additional expenses, cover the cost of service and warranty trips, and to make a profit (so the business actually stays in business).

This brings the cost of the window installed on a typical 10 window job to be about $400 per window MINIMUM.

Any company that is not charging at least $375 per window installed is either selling you an inefficient window, operating without insurance or comp, using poorly skilled workers, not providing any future service warranty, or is someone with poor business sense that will be out of business and broke within a short time.

Any costs about $400 per window is typically pure profit or needed to make up for very high advertising costs and salesman commissions.

I hope this clears things up about window costs.
window guy

Baldwinsville, NY

#20 Dec 1, 2010
In the last sentence I meant "any cost ABOVE $400 per window is pure profit"
who should i call

Rome, NY

#21 Dec 1, 2010
window guy is this the alum siding outsige also? i need a contractor and and phone number
window guy

Baldwinsville, NY

#22 Dec 1, 2010
The aluminum "capping" is what goes over the frame on the outside of the window. It's really important because it makes the window look completely new, but also stops any drafts and moisture leaking from coming in via the sides of the window or under the sill.

Also, it eliminates maintenance on the outside frame.

If you're looking for someone good, I'd suggest starting out with googling "window installers new hartford ny"
wrong

Ridgewood, NY

#23 Dec 1, 2010
windows do not need to be capped with aluminum on the outside. That is merely cosmetic to make more money off the job. Silicone caulk on the outside stops is all that is needed.
window guy

Baldwinsville, NY

#24 Dec 1, 2010
It is cosmetic but also just as much functional. In older homes with wood frames outside, new windows look like unfinished.

As far as functionality, capping a window is WAY better than using silicone caulk only! Silicone caulk is a bad choice anyways (more so if you're not caulking) because the surfaces have to be perfectly clean.

Capping the windows properly will keep moisture off the outside frame, make your windows look new, and eliminate any need to paint the outside frames.

Also, if the home has vinyl siding existing, someone skilled with metal bending can bend the aluminum around and into the existing vinyl jchannel so that there is NO seam.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snezhana Rasko 6 min Jackass 1
Katilyn Russello 45 min Jackass 8
Last 3 Letters of a word into 3 new words. (Dec '09) 45 min Reney 2,312
any one know this steve cross 1 hr daquan willson 3
any you black men looking come to 1305 catherin... 1 hr daquan willson 1
Dating Blondes or Brunettes? 2 hr Cheech 2
What martial arts school's are good or bad arou... 3 hr Joe 2
Is the mafia still in Utica? (Jul '08) 4 hr Question 249
Spoiled seafood at new hartford Italian restaur... 5 hr Butthead 8
Best looking women in Utica 20-30 in age 7 hr Brooklyn Bernie 35