Utica Fire Department into New Hartford

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Kyle

New Hartford, NY

#1 Mar 19, 2013
A couple of weeks ago, Utica Fire Chief Russ Brooks suggested the City of Utica provide fire protection and emergency medical service to the Sherman Hills section of New Hartford. He correctly pointed out the Mohawk Street firehouse is much closer to this section than New Hartford's firehouse. I think the Shepherd Place firehouse is, too. This suggestion has alot of merit and is worth considering.

I hope New Hartford's elected officials and firefighters don't play politics with this issue. People's lives are at stake.

The city could raise alot of revenue by agreeing with the Village of New Hartford (I think the village owns the fire department) to provide fire protection and emergency medical service to the town north of Higby Road. This includes the Sherman Hills area, the Valley View Road, Cascade Drive, Sedgewick Park, Ironwood Road area and Stonebridge/Lower Woods Road area. Response time and quality of service would significantly improve. These people own some of the most valuable homes in the region, pay alot of property tax and deserve better service than volunteers provide. New Hartford's response time is too long, and their firefighters have no where near the experience Utica firefighters have.

Don't play politics with public safety. People's lives are at stake. New Hartford, do the right thing and shift this tax money to the city of Utica, which is the base of our economy. We need to keep that core healthy, and this is one common sense way to do it. It should have been done decades ago.

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#2 Mar 19, 2013
Utica should be exploring ways of increasing tax revenue for themselves instead trying to prey on the wealthier more successful suburbs to bail them out.
dont be cheap

New York, NY

#3 Mar 19, 2013
Or better yet let New Hartford construct an additional fire house to handle those areas of urban sprawl. Stop being cheap. NH wants to sprawl right out like they have, yet not increase services to these areas.

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

#4 Mar 19, 2013
dont be cheap wrote:
Or better yet let New Hartford construct an additional fire house to handle those areas of urban sprawl. Stop being cheap. NH wants to sprawl right out like they have, yet not increase services to these areas.
Then this is a new Hartford issue, not a utica issue.
Diamond

Ashburn, VA

#5 Mar 19, 2013
Do you need a loan if yes email us via Diamond234loanfirm@gmail.com and get back to us with the following information below
Fullname....
Sex...
Duration...
Country....
Phone number...
Occupation...
Age...
dont be cheap

New York, NY

#6 Mar 19, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then this is a new Hartford issue, not a utica issue.
Exactly as it should be. It is NH needing these services and they should be expanding their services to match all the sprawl they've expanded to in the last decade +.
vollys

New Hartford, NY

#7 Mar 19, 2013
I am going to go to each one of the firefighters jobs and do it for free see how long thier employers keep them around...... they are big enough and have enough money to be a paid dept they are risking the lifes of thier tax payers by not being paid just so they can have a dangerous hobbie.
Russ Brooks

Worcester, MA

#8 Mar 19, 2013
New Hartfords firehouse is also a lot closer to much of Utica's district then any of their firehouses so why is it all about Utica getting richer and New Hartford taking the hit. Do you have an issue with the New Hartford Fire Dept? I'd also ask what makes you believe that volunteers, especially those from NH don't provide the same "quality service" that those paid medics do in Utica?

Lets really bring the issue to head. Brooks has run out of ways to make money. He was unable to eliminate Kunkel from the city and now needs to make up the difference. He needs Utica to take over the "most expensive homes in New Hartford" as you say, so he can not only get tax money but get his ambulance to those homes and the Sitrin Home. He can lie thru his teeth all he wants but everyone can see what he truly wants.

This isn't about politics. And in ol' Russ's eyes its not even about life safety. It's all about power and control and any of you who don't believe that are fools.
Professionals

Utica, NY

#9 Mar 19, 2013
vollys wrote:
I am going to go to each one of the firefighters jobs and do it for free see how long thier employers keep them around...... they are big enough and have enough money to be a paid dept they are risking the lifes of thier tax payers by not being paid just so they can have a dangerous hobbie.
You really think that they do it just to have a dangerous hobby. You need to lay off the crack. I know many of them and they do it for the love of their community. They don't need the paycheck to feel like they are doing a good job they just appreciate the thank you they get from their neighbors. I am sure if you asked any of them they would tell you the same thing. I'm also sure that if NH ever wanted to go paid they would all line up to take the job. Its about their community and nothing else. All of you continue to listen to Russell spew his idiotic ideas and think you know it all. Has anyone from NH been asked to share their thoughts? No because Palmieri and Brooks don't want people to know the truth, so they have told the media to only listen to them.
The thought that Utica is the heart of our economy in this county is a joke. Look where the growth is happening, New Hartford.
LOL

United States

#10 Mar 19, 2013
Utica could probably do a much better job than a bunch of drunken inbred redneck volunteers
think about it

Waterville, NY

#11 Mar 19, 2013
Recently, in all of chief Brooks radio interviews and talks he tells everyone how his manpower numbers are down and how it kepps decreasing and the city of utica will not allow more firefighters. With that being said, any 1 structure fire in the city of utica takes all of the on duty manpower. So if they were to try to expand into new hartford, and then they have a structure fire in the city of utica, then they will not have the firefighters available to respond. This is all brooks trying to have power and control on everything in the area. I think that he should focus more on what his firefighters are doing and the area they are covering than trying to expand. From what i hear and see the protection that New Hartford provides to those areas is outstanding and they do respond quickly. Why is there a need to change something that is not broke? New Hartford has done it for a long time without any issues, and now that utica is in the hole they want to try to take over these areas for for money. WITH BROOKS ITS ALL ABOUT THE $$$$. From articles in the paper and in the news its Utica Fire Department that is calling New Hartford for assistance, new hartford is not calling utica. With that being said it obvious that they are having trouble covering their own area, and now they want to expand. use common sense and notice that this is not a wise decision. Utica fire department seems to have a lot of iisues and now they are just looking to have bigger issues. Maybe Utica should stop with the paid fire department and become a volunteer fire department or part paid part volunteer department then Russ wouldnt have to try to worry about getting more territory for more tax dollars. A lot of other cuts could take place as well. Why do all the administartion need take home vehicles to drive all over, why do i see utica ambulances driving around new hartford now, why is 204 constantly in new hartford. If these guys are not on a call maybe they should park the trucks instead of wasting fuel. I think the common council should look into all this abuse of tax dollars and make more cuts and see how russ brooks likes that. Its not all about tax revenue, but rather it is about public safety. All firefighters, emt's, paramedics go through the same NYS Fire classes whether they are volunteer or paid. So they all have same credentials. Utica should worry about Utica before they cause more issues within the city and lose everything.

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

#12 Mar 19, 2013
dont be cheap wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly as it should be. It is NH needing these services and they should be expanding their services to match all the sprawl they've expanded to in the last decade +.
I disagree that new Hartford needs these services and if the citizens of new Hartford feel they do let them lobby their elected officials. New Hartford certainly doesn't need utica to come in and save the day...utica needs to deal with their own problems and issues.
Tbagz

Utica, NY

#14 Mar 19, 2013
LOL wrote:
Utica could probably do a much better job than a bunch of drunken inbred redneck volunteers
I think your wife farts in your mouth
fear mongering

Herkimer, NY

#15 Mar 19, 2013
Brooks and more fear mongering. What he does not tell you is the number of police and fire are set in both union contracts AND in the City Charter. He is lying to you when he says the numbers are down because the Common Council has not changed the number of firefighters in the city charter in a long time.

All he is looking for is another source of revenue by "creating" additional need just like he orchestrated with the ambulance service in order to justify more overtime and more pension padding. Even if New Hartford and Utica entered into a contract for Utica to cover those bordering areas, it will be Utica not New Hartford responsible for the legacy costs of that manpower. Its a win for New Hartford and a loss for Utica.

Agreed with another poster above. If New Hartford really feels they need additional coverage, build additional fire houses. And if they cannot find enough volunteers, start a paid fire company. After all, they have to be making some tax money from all the business they have.

Too cheap is more like it.

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

#16 Mar 19, 2013
Utica worrying about the "well being" of the suburbs. Lol

Try worrying about utica citizens first before taking your humanitarian efforts to the suburbs. Lol

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

#18 Mar 19, 2013
fear mongering wrote:
<quoted text>
couldn't have been stated any better!
Brooks has got to be a brain dead imbecile to think of this now when the Common Council are talking about furloughs for city employees in order to balance the budget.
It's a desperate attempt at a cash grab. I hate to inform the UFD that new Hartford citizens are way too smart for your propaganda.
fire

East Granby, CT

#19 Mar 19, 2013
NHF respond to lower Sherman dr area. En route north on Genesee at east on parkway to Sherman area neighborhood. Or up Higby and down Sherman or Tilden. UFD E3 Mohawk to Sherman. T2&Tac 2 Bleecker to Mohawk to Sherman. E7 park ave to parkway to Sherman. All would beat nh by 5+ mins, if station was maned.
viscount is a hero

Utica, NY

#20 Mar 19, 2013
fire wrote:
NHF respond to lower Sherman dr area. En route north on Genesee at east on parkway to Sherman area neighborhood. Or up Higby and down Sherman or Tilden. UFD E3 Mohawk to Sherman. T2&Tac 2 Bleecker to Mohawk to Sherman. E7 park ave to parkway to Sherman. All would beat nh by 5+ mins, if station was maned.
this is either a UFD union man responding, of which I doubt. this is more likely a person that possibly works at 911. Or someone yet familiar with the CAD system at the center. there are give aways in your rambling above that tell the tale.

heres a thought boys and girls. mind your own bussines.

but just for giggles, cant NHFD make it to Chanatrys faster? of course they can. And your example above sucks as this is if in a perfect world the above UFD trucks were sitting around. IF UFD calls mutual aid now, Who would they call if they put the suburbs out of business? Hmmmmmm yes lets see - ole uncle Russ would need more people on staff, more trucks, more Empire buidling you absolute simple minded idiots. Utica has shown time and time again over decades they suck at managing any kind of goverment. who in their right mind would logically give them more money to spend?

HAHA this whole topic is a joke. YEs, lets take a vol FD and tell them to close the doors so we can pay more taxes for people living off the fat of the land to make more and support shitty utica scums. NHFD has a waiting list if you look at how many members they have on there web site. WTF is utica going to offer for fire rates?

there is more to this and it will all come out.
kyle is union stooge

Utica, NY

#21 Mar 19, 2013
Kyle wrote:
I hope New Hartford's elected officials and firefighters don't play politics with this issue. People's lives are at stake.
The city could raise alot of revenue by agreeing with the Village of New Hartford (I think the village owns the fire department) to provide fire protection and emergency medical service to the town north of Higby Road. These people own some of the most valuable homes in the region, pay alot of property tax and deserve better service than volunteers provide. New Hartford's response time is too long, and their firefighters have no where near the experience Utica firefighters have.
Don't play politics with public safety. People's lives are at stake. New Hartford, do the right thing and shift this tax money to the city of Utica, which is the base of our economy. We need to keep that core healthy, and this is one common sense way to do it. It should have been done decades ago.
The only thing true about your foolish post is that peoples lives are at stake...and its the good folk of NH.
Im sure the NHFD would go up against a UFD guy any day. Same training, and experiance. EMTS take the same NYS exams. NHFD is the busiest VOL FD in the county. Yes, Im sure they know nothing as you insinuate! LOLOLOL
And poindexter....go look at the sales tax. The base of this countys economy is the sales tax generated from the town of NH. IF anything the town should become a city. keep the money all for themselves and form there own FD. Which would be light years ahead of what you think is going on down in utica.

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

#22 Mar 19, 2013
kyle is union stooge wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing true about your foolish post is that peoples lives are at stake...and its the good folk of NH.
Im sure the NHFD would go up against a UFD guy any day. Same training, and experiance. EMTS take the same NYS exams. NHFD is the busiest VOL FD in the county. Yes, Im sure they know nothing as you insinuate! LOLOLOL
And poindexter....go look at the sales tax. The base of this countys economy is the sales tax generated from the town of NH. IF anything the town should become a city. keep the money all for themselves and form there own FD. Which would be light years ahead of what you think is going on down in utica.
Good post. New Hartford realizes they dont need the title of being a city to be successful. Good property values, good school system, plenty of commerce...nice place to live. They just need to keep the cess pools tentacles out if what they have going on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Topix a True Representation of Utica Region 12 min Cretin is Riggie ... 45
WKTV "Where you hear it...LAST" 17 min WKTV TROLLS 5
ND defeats Proctor! 19 min Get a life pedo 23
Parole Officer Incident at Denny's 25 min Chilza 204
Water Bill increase 40 min Thanx Roann 251
Nativity scene at NHFD offensive 45 min help 22
injured WELFARE FAILURE HAS HURT VAG WILL POST ... (Jan '14) 52 min cretin 3
Who's Buying Hotel Utica? Gaetano Ripoff - Unpa... 1 hr The Dodger 101
What's the coward Parole Officers name? 1 hr A Family Affair I... 56
Utica Dating
Find my Match

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:58 am PST

NBC Sports 3:58AM
Wednesday morning one-liners
Bleacher Report 7:57 AM
NFL Playoffs: What the Green Bay Packers Need to Do to Make a Super Bowl Run
NBC Sports 8:50 AM
Osi Umenyiora tells Jonathan Massaquoi to keep complaints private
ESPN10:15 AM
Vick has paid down nearly all of $18M debt
NBC Sports12:29 PM
Giants safety Rolle not listening to the critics - NBC Sports
ESPN12:35 PM
Rolle wants to finish his career with Giants
ESPN 2:28 PM
Revis: Rex's shaky status with Jets is 'sad'
Bleacher Report 3:02 PM
Michael Vick Reportedly Has Paid off Almost Entire $17.8M Debt Owed to Creditors
NBC Sports 3:57 PM
Win and hope: Bills focus solely on facing Raiders - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 4:27 PM
Revis heads back to MetLife Stadium as Jets' enemy - NBC Sports