Nanotechnology Complex Becoming Reali...

Level 7

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#22 Jul 4, 2013
I've been one of the biggest skeptics about this whole thing, but found this quote eye popping:

"The annual operating budget for Quad C is expected to exceed $500 million, Kaloyeros said. In comparison, this year’s Oneida County budget is $371 million with its 1510 employees."

If I'm reading this correctly, this one initiative at SUNY IT will have a yearly operating budget which exceeds that of the entire county of Oneida? That's pretty impressive. But let's see it actually happen.
Van Winkle

Syracuse, NY

#24 Jul 5, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
This is just the beginning.
My goodness. I must have fallen asleep somewhere around 1983, and just woke up. Not much has changed. I keep hearing the same old stories and reading the same old bullshit about how things in Utica are just about ready to get better. Same story, same song and dance. I have heard this bullshit over and over since the days before there was an internet. How Utica is going to rebound and be better than it ever was. All sorts of great jobs are just around the corner. Well, you know what I think? The more things "change", the more they stay the same. Nothing will happen. There will be no jobs. No Nanotech plant. This being Utica, by the time they start doing anything, nanotech will be obsolete. I've lived here for thirty years, and heard the same bull time and time again. Things have only gotten worse. My advise to any recent high school graduate is simply to get out of this town as fast as you can, while you can. Don't make the mistake of settling down here. You will only regret it later.
Look at RIT

Lowville, NY

#25 Jul 5, 2013
RIT has one of these mini fab facilities on their campus. Is there a giant chip fab in Rochester? What do they do with it? How much revenue does it put into the local economy. How many local businesses do we have right now in CNY that actively support the chip fab industry?

$500 Million sounds good, but I bet most of it will be going out of state to big-dog firms, until local businesses can spin up to support the lab.

This looks good up front, but without the industry building a huge factory and buying into an impoverished region with 45% of the local population on some form of government assistance, its just the state dumping a ton of money on a high tech "lab" for the college.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#26 Jul 6, 2013
Van Winkle wrote:
<quoted text>My goodness. I must have fallen asleep somewhere around 1983, and just woke up. Not much has changed. I keep hearing the same old stories and reading the same old bullshit about how things in Utica are just about ready to get better. Same story, same song and dance. I have heard this bullshit over and over since the days before there was an internet. How Utica is going to rebound and be better than it ever was. All sorts of great jobs are just around the corner. Well, you know what I think? The more things "change", the more they stay the same. Nothing will happen. There will be no jobs. No Nanotech plant. This being Utica, by the time they start doing anything, nanotech will be obsolete. I've lived here for thirty years, and heard the same bull time and time again. Things have only gotten worse. My advise to any recent high school graduate is simply to get out of this town as fast as you can, while you can. Don't make the mistake of settling down here. You will only regret it later.
Why do you stay if you don't like it? Did you read the article? It's here. It's not fake. It will be done next year. Please read before you talk. I do admit Urica is behind the times. However,we just caught up.
WTF

United States

#27 Jul 6, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you stay if you don't like it? Did you read the article? It's here. It's not fake. It will be done next year. Please read before you talk. I do admit Urica is behind the times. However,we just caught up.
Who stays? Are you serious? It's a warehouse and you're having giggagasms over it? Nothing is coming there but ribbon cuttings and fake politicians.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#28 Jul 6, 2013
I rather wear rosy glasses then foggy glasses any day of the week. No one can deny the facts. Many buildings Harza,HSBC,GE Building and Bossert Site and where Bass Pro is going. Lacked development for years. Now something is going on extremely positive. You can
not deny the facts.

Plus, 900 jobs up at SUNYIT in Nano. 80,000 to 90,000 dollar a year jobs. Where will they live? They will be consumers in our restaurants and retail stores. Is that bad? Is that not rosy? That 1000s said would never never never happen. Well pinch yourself,it is happening. We are going in the right direction. Do we have a way to go? Yes. But,right now I love what I am seeing.
American

Utica, NY

#29 Jul 6, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
<quoted text>
Last time I looked,jobs will help the things that you are talking about.
Don't you just love all these haters? Holy crap! We start hearing some good news for a change and they can't stand it. They are all about gloom and doom and want to be right no matter what. It's going to take years for this area to come back and this is just a start. I think it's great news no matter how small.

Level 5

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#30 Jul 6, 2013
American wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you just love all these haters? Holy crap! We start hearing some good news for a change and they can't stand it. They are all about gloom and doom and want to be right no matter what. It's going to take years for this area to come back and this is just a start. I think it's great news no matter how small.
Well most of us are not idiots and realize that things haven't changed that caused the decline of the area.

NY is still the LEAST free state in the country. Under Governor Cuomo we have the MOST ambitious and corrupt government in recent memory. Some of the highest taxes and least business friendly climate in the nation. Shall I go on?

Look around the state. It's not just Utica that is depressed. Businesses are leaving everyday. Gov. Cuomo has personally chased out or closed many large and successful businesses such as Kahr Arms.

Level 5

Location hidden

#31 Jul 6, 2013
The best way to describe the nano-tech center at SUNY IT is "Sugar on a turd".

Level 5

Location hidden

#32 Jul 6, 2013
Truth Dig wrote:
I've been one of the biggest skeptics about this whole thing, but found this quote eye popping:
"The annual operating budget for Quad C is expected to exceed $500 million, Kaloyeros said.
Where is that $500 million coming from? Taxpayers? Student tuition? Private source?
Live love stay NYS

New Hartford, NY

#33 Jul 6, 2013
New York City's Startup Scene Is Rapidly Becoming The Hub For Innovation And Investment
PAUL GROSSINGER, VENTUREBEAT 30 JUNE 2013 4:21 AM Share Discuss Bookmark
Inside the offices of Tumblr
Foursquare, Mashable, and 10gen.
What do a major social network, happening news website, and a rising database company have in common? They are all ‘Made in New York.’
Just a couple of days ago, Techcrunch announced that famous incubator AngelPad was opening up a large office in New York City. The incubator, which was previously fully based in Silicon Valley and has raised $100 million for its startups, now views New York as its new hub for East Coast investments.
That news highlights a major new trend developing since 2007 but accelerating rapidly in the past year: the Big Apple’s rise as the new hub for startup creation and investment.
New York City is now home to over 1,000 startups. Hundreds of them are venture-backed, and hundreds more are backed by angel funding from the New York Angels and other leading investing groups.
10 years ago, those types of numbers would only have been used to characterise Silicon Valley. Seattle, New York, and Boston were mere outposts of the tech world; far flung tentacles on a body centered firmly in California. But now that has changed and New York is the centre of the East Coast’s rapidly rising startup world.
The question is, are these numbers, and the rapid growth of the Big Apple’s startup community, sustainable? Yes: because of New York’s confluence of financial resources, committed individuals, and landmark public private partnerships, the city’s startup community should continue to grow in the next decade.
First, the financial resources. The tri-state is the wealthiest region of the United States. The annual GDP of New York City alone exceeds $1 trillion, and Manhattan has the nation’s highest concentration of high net worth individuals in any large city. Before 2007, these resources were highly concentrated in finance but, after the landmark recession, the city began to pour resources into creating a new, sustainable industry for the city to rest its laurels on: tech.
This mixture of new public and private resources has pushed tech’s rise steadily. Perhaps the greatest example is the new Cornell-Technion partnership, which will build a new startup-themed campus on Roosevelt Island with donated city land, over $1 billion in Cornell University money, Israeli engineering expertise, and the mentorship and support of much of the New York startup community.
Also at the root of the tri-state’s startup growth is its focus on smaller, expansion-oriented, consumer-facing companies that can leverage the tri-state’s vast population of individual private investors and take advantage of its strong mix of media and advertising. My own company, Pervasive Group Inc., leveraged relationships with the New York Angels, the group I invest with, the Tech Launch accelerator our company participated in, and investors across the tri-state to raise its angel round and fund MMGuardian, a parental control app for Android that is aptly suited to take advantage of the Big Apple’s exciting media environment.
Pervasive Group is just one example; dozens of young startups, including early-stage companies SureDone and Nimbusb ase, have taken advantage of the city’s unique characteristics to thrive in the Big Apple. SureDone, which is an advanced e-commerce solution for merchants, works in one of New York’s most famous incubators, General Assembly, and recently raised its seed round from the New York Angels. The company, which was born and raised in New York and is now expanding rapidly here, has grown exclusively through the Big Apple’s resources and is an example of how New York can now nurture seed companies without any involvement from Silicon Valley.
CCP Is Trash

Albany, NY

#34 Jul 7, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
I rather wear rosy glasses then foggy glasses any day of the week. No one can deny the facts. Many buildings Harza,HSBC,GE Building and Bossert Site and where Bass Pro is going. Lacked development for years. Now something is going on extremely positive. You can
not deny the facts.
Plus, 900 jobs up at SUNYIT in Nano. 80,000 to 90,000 dollar a year jobs. Where will they live? They will be consumers in our restaurants and retail stores. Is that bad? Is that not rosy? That 1000s said would never never never happen. Well pinch yourself,it is happening. We are going in the right direction. Do we have a way to go? Yes. But,right now I love what I am seeing.
The majority will live in Syracuse.
CCP Is Trash

Albany, NY

#35 Jul 7, 2013
Look at RIT wrote:
RIT has one of these mini fab facilities on their campus. Is there a giant chip fab in Rochester? What do they do with it? How much revenue does it put into the local economy. How many local businesses do we have right now in CNY that actively support the chip fab industry?
$500 Million sounds good, but I bet most of it will be going out of state to big-dog firms, until local businesses can spin up to support the lab.
This looks good up front, but without the industry building a huge factory and buying into an impoverished region with 45% of the local population on some form of government assistance, its just the state dumping a ton of money on a high tech "lab" for the college.
Bingo.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#36 Jul 7, 2013
The recent announcement that ground has been broken for the long-anticipated $125 million Computer Chip Commercialization Center at SUNYIT can’t help but stir some excitement in a community too accustomed to lofty dreams and broken promises.

Now the big question is this: Will we be ready?

We’d better be. The project, known as the Quad C, is expected to be completed by the end of 2014. That doesn’t really leave much time to get things done. And it’ll take the whole community to clear the way.

The entire nanotech effort has been met with profound skepticism, justified perhaps, by a string of broken promises by state officials, beginning with the announcement in 2009 that a $45 million complex would be built here, bringing 450 jobs by 2013. Gov. Andrew Cuomo upped the ante in 2011, adding another $45 million to the package and doubling the job expectations. Still nothing.

But this time there are shovels in the ground. Big shovels. The Quad C investment has grown to $125 million and is expected to be completed by the end of next year. Job numbers are unknown, but they could nudge the 1,000 mark, considering that the $90 million project projected 900.

Meanwhile, Alain Kaloyeros, senior vice president and CEO of Albany’s College of Nanoscale Science and Technology, which is partnering with SUNYIT in this project, said the annual operating budget is expected to exceed $500 million. That exceeds the $371 million Oneida County budget by millions.

Building such a complex is more than bricks and mortar. Hundreds of well-paying jobs pouring into the community — salaries will average around $80,000 or $90,000, officials say — will require a wide array of services, not the least of which is housing. That could include everything from condominiums to downtown lofts, some of which have been created or are in planning stages, but still far short of what could be needed.

Such housing will create a need for services — convenient grocery stores and pharmacies, which are currently lacking downtown. Mayor Palmieri has been vigilant in securing city development, but he needs to work on some of the basics. People living downtown shouldn’t have to get in their car to buy a loaf of bread or a bottle of aspirin. Adding such amenities now could serve as a draw for people searching for a place to live. If downtown is convenient, they’re more likely to settle there.

Add to the Computer Chip Commercialization Center a nanochip plant and hundreds more jobs. Mohawk Valley EDGE is marketing a parcel of land near SUNYIT for chip manufacturing, and the Quad C complex and pool of workers from adjacent SUNYIT won’t hurt the region’s chances of landing one.
Frank

Syracuse, NY

#37 Jul 7, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
not deny the facts.
We have all heard this song sung to us many times before. Its like crying wolf. Over and over again, since the early 1980's, we have heard glorious stories of wonderful things that are going to transform Utica. We have heard it so many times, that it all sounds the same. Everytime, we are always told that this one is different, and this will be the big one. A few months later, the story just fades away, and nothing happens. You can't blame us for not believing this for the fifty millionth time. Throw away your rose colored glasses, and your foggy ones as well. Just open your eyes. Take a look aroudn. Utica is in a death spiral. Its really not getting better. There are so many other problems here. One little nanotech lab is not going to have enough impact to rescue an entire city. Take a drive through Utica. Wake up and smell the sewage.
CCP Is Trash

Albany, NY

#38 Jul 7, 2013
But there's a sign now! Lol
CCP is Trash

Gouverneur, NY

#39 Jul 8, 2013
CCP Is Trash wrote:
But there's a sign now! Lol
and underneath it I lick buttwhole for $1.00. But I don't know why. Do you?
CCP Is Trash

Albany, NY

#40 Jul 8, 2013
CCP is Trash wrote:
<quoted text>
and underneath it I lick buttwhole for $1.00. But I don't know why. Do you?
Flattery is so sweet whitesboro trash.
CCP is Trash

Gouverneur, NY

#41 Jul 8, 2013
CCP Is Trash wrote:
<quoted text>
Flattery is so sweet whitesboro trash.
but if you give me a $1.00 I'll lick your crack. Lol.
CCP Is Trash

Albany, NY

#42 Jul 8, 2013
CCP is Trash wrote:
<quoted text>
but if you give me a $1.00 I'll lick your crack. Lol.
...and comments like this are why you're stuck where you are whitesboro trash. Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MEGA Mark Flag 1 hr Bomb squad 6
Best Realtor in Central NY (Jan '14) 1 hr Kelly 47
Cheating Wives in Whiteboro 2 hr I humps them 4
Finally she said yes to Anal. 3 hr POST 3
What happened to Father Felix Colosimo? 3 hr Libra 4
New Gay Bar Coming To Varick St. 3 hr Project toilet much 13
Places for tomato pie? 3 hr Project toilet much 93
The U P D cover-up 4 hr Lowlife Utican scum 99
Talk of the Town 5 hr Bernie 29
Cheating marcy wife 7 hr Nobody is jealous 6