department stores in utica

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
west palm beach

Fairport, NY

#1 Nov 5, 2012
living in utica during the years of 1950's who remembers all the great department stores downtown ? I can still recall boston, doyles, doyle-knower hurst brooks learner, jbwells, d price , berbetts, blue dress shop, garfields, wicks and greenman my boys shop, a hat shop next to the stanley, bergers, revecca,tile, sonne bros, pickers, darling shop, cramers, the nut shop neisers, grants, kresges, woolworths, the morris restaurant, come people help me out here, I have not touched on too many others yet.
Memory Lane

Utica, NY

#2 Nov 5, 2012
Wish we could have them back!
Memories

Whitesboro, NY

#3 Nov 6, 2012
Small dress shop Bevs....Woolworths w/ the long counter and I think there was a pet corner there where we would look at fish and birds when we were little..i think it was at Woolworth's? Loved the Boston Store!
Petula Clark

Utica, NY

#4 Nov 6, 2012
I think they should raze Sangertown Square. It's a complete dump. Put a Macy's downtown. I would certainly be more inclined to shop downtown than drive around that POS Sangertown or the rat's cage Consumer Square.
Dont forget

Massena, NY

#5 Nov 6, 2012
the Coates Hobby Shop
Windy

Hillsboro, OR

#6 Mar 23, 2013
I was working for doyle an knowers in 1950. They sent me to school at Utica tech college to learn window design. The reason for this was because John knower had a bad heart. They wanted to take him out of the window. We lived on ney avenue. In Utica ny. Mty step grandfather name was charley kahler. I also worked at bosserts making generators for tanks. I was born in Utica but raised in Syracuse. I expect visit Syracuse and Utica in June. Beautiful memoroesr
Brian

United States

#7 Mar 23, 2013
That's what Walmart and their cheap Chinese junk have done to this country.
Ellen

Manlius, NY

#8 Mar 23, 2013
My Boys Shops, Marc's Boutique two great stores. Also Muriel Hat Shop on Bleecker. We had some fun time shopping. What was the name of the great shoe store near Grant's Book Store. It was in the basement (I remember going downstairs to the store) located between the book store and the Stanley. A husband and wife owned the store (cute couple). They sure had great shoes and bags!
Bbo

New York, NY

#10 Mar 24, 2013
Petula Clark wrote:
I think they should raze Sangertown Square. It's a complete dump. Put a Macy's downtown. I would certainly be more inclined to shop downtown than drive around that POS Sangertown or the rat's cage Consumer Square.
Sangertown needs a serious makeover! Might as well put it downtown.
MV Observer

Utica, NY

#15 Mar 26, 2013
Baby Boomers Memories
Littlecoat Hobbyshop, Ben Cummings Shoes, Leeds, Utica Sporting Goods, Bette Sherman Shoppe, Hahn's Camera, Reid Sheldon, University Shop, My Boys Shop, Utica Foral, Lerners, Lofts Chocolates, Webbs, College Hall, Wise Jewelry, Index Restaurant, Red Cherry Pie Shop, Dell Shoes, Hughes Shoes, Evans Jewelers, Clark Music, LuBere Corsetry, Bue Dress Shop, Neisners, JB Wells, Little Nut Shop, Karmelcorn, Daniels Jewelers, Thom McCann, Mittlemens Mens Shop, Wicks and Greemman, Doyle Knower, D Price, Bev's, Brill Clothes, Mahar Brothers, Seneca Hat Shop, Best Hat Shop, Famous Hat Shop, Jay's Marietts Bridal, House of Cards, Daw Drugs, Peter's Restaurant on Frankilin Square, Jerry Maxwells, Wolfies, White Tower, Bergers, Rivecca's, Carrocks market, Jones Fish Market, Charlie Parkers, Jones Fish Market, Joe the Barber, Doyles, Tectors Shoe Store, Fanny Farmer...if I thought a little longer, I'd come up with more...and you know how I remember them?..from sitting in the back of the station wagon with Mom driving around for an hour to find a parking space..long before the Boston Store built a parking garage...on Monday night, the biggest problem was where to park, as the stores were all open until 9...the bus stops were so crowded, that they filled a bus, and the folks would wait for the next one..Black and White Taxis were everywhere, the Stanley was playing movies still, as was the Avon and the Olympic, the YMCA was packed with kids on Saturday morning, we hoped that McDonald's would move Downtown (they did after taking Hahns Camera down)...McDonald's "Townhouse" Restaurant..(I had my first Egg McMuffin there)...Vernon R Evans on Bank Place is were you got office supplies, and
there was a crazy Shoe Repair place on Union Street, Phlegers and Genesee office Supply, I do remember New York Bakery on Liberty Street, it was next to a Rambler Dealer that was next to the Aud, and across from Harry Heiman Chrysler Imperial..and oh, my earliest memory is the old Imperial Restaurant, which was in the median of Oriskany Blvd near the Police Station, backing up to the Bus Station..

Urban Renewal was the worst executed plan on poor Downtown. Little was going to stop America's flight to the suburbs, but here in Utica, they only accelerated it, by not listeneing to the merchants, charging for parking, not creating parking lots for drivers (remember most people had only 1 car,if they had one at all, prior to the 1960's)..
Then they started doing dumber things...which has plagued our area...nepotism, "the gang" of politicians with their hands out, and politicians that never ran successful businesses...sound familiar?
Whitesboro Is A Dump

Troy, NY

#16 Mar 26, 2013
You have as much chance of Utica having a downtown again as whitesboro having a prison...wait they do. Lol
Out of towner

Watertown, NY

#17 Apr 12, 2013
I can remember back about 40+ years ago when my parents would drive me to Utica on a Friday night to buy shoes at "Child Life" shoe store. I think it was on Bank Place?? I remember "Frank" waiting on us. He was a very nice italian gentleman. Always took good care of his customers. Can't remember his last name. Marchitelli??
Alice

Greig, NY

#19 Apr 12, 2013
MV Observer wrote:
Baby Boomers Memories
Littlecoat Hobbyshop, Ben Cummings Shoes, Leeds, Utica Sporting Goods, Bette Sherman Shoppe, Hahn's Camera, Reid Sheldon, University Shop, My Boys Shop, Utica Foral, Lerners, Lofts Chocolates, Webbs, College Hall, Wise Jewelry, Index Restaurant, Red Cherry Pie Shop, Dell Shoes, Hughes Shoes, Evans Jewelers, Clark Music, LuBere Corsetry, Bue Dress Shop, Neisners, JB Wells, Little Nut Shop, Karmelcorn, Daniels Jewelers, Thom McCann, Mittlemens Mens Shop, Wicks and Greemman, Doyle Knower, D Price, Bev's, Brill Clothes, Mahar Brothers, Seneca Hat Shop, Best Hat Shop, Famous Hat Shop, Jay's Marietts Bridal, House of Cards, Daw Drugs, Peter's Restaurant on Frankilin Square, Jerry Maxwells, Wolfies, White Tower, Bergers, Rivecca's, Carrocks market, Jones Fish Market, Charlie Parkers, Jones Fish Market, Joe the Barber, Doyles, Tectors Shoe Store, Fanny Farmer...if I thought a little longer, I'd come up with more...and you know how I remember them?..from sitting in the back of the station wagon with Mom driving around for an hour to find a parking space..long before the Boston Store built a parking garage...on Monday night, the biggest problem was where to park, as the stores were all open until 9...the bus stops were so crowded, that they filled a bus, and the folks would wait for the next one..Black and White Taxis were everywhere, the Stanley was playing movies still, as was the Avon and the Olympic, the YMCA was packed with kids on Saturday morning, we hoped that McDonald's would move Downtown (they did after taking Hahns Camera down)...McDonald's "Townhouse" Restaurant..(I had my first Egg McMuffin there)...Vernon R Evans on Bank Place is were you got office supplies, and
there was a crazy Shoe Repair place on Union Street, Phlegers and Genesee office Supply, I do remember New York Bakery on Liberty Street, it was next to a Rambler Dealer that was next to the Aud, and across from Harry Heiman Chrysler Imperial..and oh, my earliest memory is the old Imperial Restaurant, which was in the median of Oriskany Blvd near the Police Station, backing up to the Bus Station..
Urban Renewal was the worst executed plan on poor Downtown. Little was going to stop America's flight to the suburbs, but here in Utica, they only accelerated it, by not listeneing to the merchants, charging for parking, not creating parking lots for drivers (remember most people had only 1 car,if they had one at all, prior to the 1960's)..
Then they started doing dumber things...which has plagued our area...nepotism, "the gang" of politicians with their hands out, and politicians that never ran successful businesses...sound familiar?
Shammy's Shoes, Bank Pl.
Deborah

United States

#25 Aug 11, 2015
If anyone knows of the location of the shop "bev's in Utica, please let me know. It was owned by Beverly Saltzburg Morrison's aunt. Thanks, Deborah
FYI

Albany, NY

#26 Aug 11, 2015
Deborah wrote:
If anyone knows of the location of the shop "bev's in Utica, please let me know. It was owned by Beverly Saltzburg Morrison's aunt. Thanks, Deborah
It is being renovated into Pizza Classic dining room. Also apartments second and third floor.
Barry UK

UK

#27 Feb 12, 2016
Hello from UK.
my wifes grandmother , Fanny Land, owned a millinery / hat store in Utica called The Famous.
Does anybody remember this and do you know on what street it was loacted. We hope to visit
Utica in September 2016. Thank you, Barry UK
dee

United States

#28 Feb 12, 2016
Barry UK wrote:
Hello from UK.
my wifes grandmother , Fanny Land, owned a millinery / hat store in Utica called The Famous.
Does anybody remember this and do you know on what street it was loacted. We hope to visit
Utica in September 2016. Thank you, Barry UK
Save your time and gas .nothing to visit anymore
Jackie Stack

Ivoryton, CT

#29 Feb 17, 2016
west palm beach wrote:
living in utica during the years of 1950's who remembers all the great department stores downtown ? I can still recall boston, doyles, doyle-knower hurst brooks learner, jbwells, d price , berbetts, blue dress shop, garfields, wicks and greenman my boys shop, a hat shop next to the stanley, bergers, revecca,tile, sonne bros, pickers, darling shop, cramers, the nut shop neisers, grants, kresges, woolworths, the morris restaurant, come people help me out here, I have not touched on too many others yet.
Was W.T. Grant's on Bleecker St.? and what was the name of the shoe store on the corner of the "Busy Corner"?
gordon toffler

Sterling Heights, MI

#30 Jun 29, 2016
I moved to Utica in 1952 from Detroit as a pre teen. We lived on 1500 block of Clemention, went to Roosevelt. Around 1955? my father owned the Holland bakery on the busy corner NW Corner. My mother worker at Suretta candy and then went to MY BOY SHOP. In 1955-56 my father became co-manager of the first discount store in Utica called STATE STREET MILL BARGAIN CENTER. Can you picture walking up 2 flights to shop. back in 1936 my dad managed the Neisner's 5 & dime. My mother was the piano player in this store, they got married a year later.Only lived in Utica until 1957 but my best memories growing up were in Utica. Loved that town. I go back every year from Michigan to see old neighbors. never get tired going back, love the parkway drive.
Decent comment

Utica, NY

#31 Jun 30, 2016
gordon toffler wrote:
I moved to Utica in 1952 from Detroit as a pre teen. We lived on 1500 block of Clemention, went to Roosevelt. Around 1955? my father owned the Holland bakery on the busy corner NW Corner. My mother worker at Suretta candy and then went to MY BOY SHOP. In 1955-56 my father became co-manager of the first discount store in Utica called STATE STREET MILL BARGAIN CENTER. Can you picture walking up 2 flights to shop. back in 1936 my dad managed the Neisner's 5 & dime. My mother was the piano player in this store, they got married a year later.Only lived in Utica until 1957 but my best memories growing up were in Utica. Loved that town. I go back every year from Michigan to see old neighbors. never get tired going back, love the parkway drive.
That was nice remembering

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
female MOPTOP REMOVES TWO KIDS OFF TAXPAYER LIST 1 min When they come 4 u 11
ghetto WORST ECONOMIC HOLE IN AMERICA 1 min Sammy 129
can WE BRUTALIZE WOMANS PRIVATES LIKE IN AFRICA 1 min Sammy 8
Gonna sit back and watch the show! 3 min Tesla Two 1
NFL/NBA Players vs Trump 5 min Good news 74
hugeSOW USED HANGERS BELT TO BEAT YOUNG KIDS 7 min MARIO VERTUCCI 11
millions VOTE FOR ]\[lGGER ON URBAN DICTIONARY 8 min MARIO VERTUCCI 6
nh football coach 20 min Traumatic brain i... 10

Utica Jobs

More from around the web