Posted in the Utica Forum

Tolerance is a virtue

Cary, NC

#1 Feb 27, 2013
I have a couple of criteria for which I am looking:

1. a doctore that is female
2. has come from a good teaching hospital
3. is about 40 - 50 years old and has been in practice for about 8 - 15 years

(I have found, in my experience, that women doctors have to be way above the rest to prove themselves. They work harder, listen better, are more thorough and keep up with the lastest practices.)

I am looking for the best general doctor in this area. Thank you for your input.

Level 2

Since: Feb 13

Ilion, NY

#2 Feb 27, 2013
Tolerance is a virtue wrote:
(I have found, in my experience, that women doctors have to be way above the rest to prove themselves. They work harder, listen better, are more thorough and keep up with the lastest practices.)
I am looking for the best general doctor in this area. Thank you for your input.
What's a General Doctor? Do you mean a GP or Family Doctor?
Dr. Paula Vecchio

For pediatrics my children go to Dr. Rhea Ivins.

Both of these doctors are TOP NOTCH and when we moved to the area we did our homework and spent time with several different clinics before falling in love with these two.

With that said I don't necessarily agree with your reasons for choosing a female doctor. I've had plenty of male doctors over the years that were equally gifted but I'm very pleased with who we have to tend to our needs here.
Tolerance is a virtue

Cary, NC

#4 Feb 27, 2013
Educated and Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
What's a General Doctor? Do you mean a GP or Family Doctor?
Dr. Paula Vecchio
For pediatrics my children go to Dr. Rhea Ivins.
Both of these doctors are TOP NOTCH and when we moved to the area we did our homework and spent time with several different clinics before falling in love with these two.
With that said I don't necessarily agree with your reasons for choosing a female doctor. I've had plenty of male doctors over the years that were equally gifted but I'm very pleased with who we have to tend to our needs here.
Oh sorry, I am sure "general doctor" is a misnomer, I wasn't thinking. What I meant was "primary care physician".

Thank you for your suggestions.
Tolerance is a virtue

Cary, NC

#5 Feb 27, 2013
black dog wrote:
Try another city. All the local doctors have been transferred here because of disciplinary reasons. Most aren't even real doctors to begin with. You will have better luck trolling the Syracuse or Albany forums.
Syr and Albany are too far away for my [father's] needs.

I live next to the City of Medicine (Durham with Duke ... and Chapel Hill with UNC ---- lots of serious competition down here! And with that being said, many people down here prefer women doctors, anyway.) I plan on having one foot down here no matter where I spend my summers.

Thanks for your input.

Level 2

Ilion, NY

#6 Feb 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh sorry, I am sure "general doctor" is a misnomer, I wasn't thinking. What I meant was "primary care physician".
Thank you for your suggestions.
My Primary Care Manager is Dr. Vecchio. She is truly the best and meets all of your criteria. Great lady for sure.

Level 2

Ilion, NY

#7 Feb 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Syr and Albany are too far away for my [father's] needs.
I live next to the City of Medicine (Durham with Duke ... and Chapel Hill with UNC ---- lots of serious competition down here! And with that being said, many people down here prefer women doctors, anyway.) I plan on having one foot down here no matter where I spend my summers.
Thanks for your input.
There are a lot of people who choose to be so negative on this board and anything having to do with this area so take such comments with a grain of salt. Yes there are quite a few immigrant doctors in this area because we are in need. I have to drive to Syracuse for a Dermatologist, for example, but Utica has plenty of fine doctors. My parents (retired) are part of the Slocum Dixon Medical Group which is very good. Most of my family's care is handled through St. Elizabeth's and as I said, my PCM is Dr. Vecchio who is a native of this area and not sent her for any other reason than to help her people.
Erin

Springfield, MA

#8 Feb 27, 2013
Paula Vecchio is very good, as is Julie Betro-Skhane. Both are GPs.
Tolerance is a virtue

Cary, NC

#9 Feb 27, 2013
Erin wrote:
Paula Vecchio is very good, as is Julie Betro-Skhane. Both are GPs.
I like the fact Vecchio is from the area. Probably means she became a doctor to practice in her home town.

Thanks for the other name of Julie Betro-Skhane, I'll look her up.
Lori Petrone Fink

Windsor, CT

#10 Feb 27, 2013
Dr. DeMatteo in Rome. Shes my shrink. Shea explained why I suck as a lawyer, mother, wife and person. She also explained why I still want Robert Germain and not my defective husband.
Ok..I feel better off to Talbots to spend sone of our clents money!
DOC

Utica, NY

#11 Feb 28, 2013
Judy Balch hands down!
Hoser

Utica, NY

#12 Feb 28, 2013
Amy Gorzynski
Educated

United States

#13 Feb 28, 2013
Balch is NOT a dr. She is a physicians assistant. Big difference
Freebie the Bean

Liverpool, NY

#14 Feb 28, 2013
Susan Hamo...CNY Cardiology
Proud2B Bosnican

Syracuse, NY

#15 Feb 28, 2013
All they have to do is blow the male doctors

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bernadette Romano-Clark 2 hr disgusted 32
Runners Sheep Ride 2 hr Lawyer 2
Nano trouble 2 hr Just me 3
Basil Bluz 3 hr Jackie O 2
Nomination for Undercover Boss (Jun '12) 3 hr Careandbefair 27
Comets look Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! 3 hr Comets Welfare Stars 8
Do I need a lawyer for my workers comp case (Jun '13) 3 hr Man In Dark Car 28
OMG fat firemen on tv 6 hr Used Car Selling ... 8
Matt Scialdone 6 hr BlacklistRed 18
Parkway Drugs Pharmacy is the Worst. 6 hr BlacklistRed 17