Utica & Oneida County's Hotel Scam

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Shepherd

Schenectady, NY

#1 Aug 26, 2014
It's good to know that the only progress the city of Utica has seen is the development of hotels. One would think, we'll this is good, no?

Well not when the only reason they're going up is to house the sex offenders, criminals, and mentally unstable being paid by the county on the taxpayers dime. They'll throw all your future welfare recipients in there too when they're coming from all over the state, country, and even the world. Who essentially pays for all this "development" here?

This is what you pay for here in Utica and Oneida County, and then people wonder why there's nothing here and no progress.

Stop letting your politicians run this area into the ground! 

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#2 Aug 26, 2014
The Shepherd wrote:
It's good to know that the only progress the city of Utica has seen is the development of hotels. One would think, we'll this is good, no?
Well not when the only reason they're going up is to house the sex offenders, criminals, and mentally unstable being paid by the county on the taxpayers dime. They'll throw all your future welfare recipients in there too when they're coming from all over the state, country, and even the world. Who essentially pays for all this "development" here?
This is what you pay for here in Utica and Oneida County, and then people wonder why there's nothing here and no progress.
Stop letting your politicians run this area into the ground! 
So what you are telling us is that national hotel chains are spending millions to build brand new hotels in Utica so they can lease rooms to sex offenders from “all over the state, country, and even the world”. Did you think this up all by yourself or did you get help.
Dr Answer

Utica, NY

#3 Aug 26, 2014
JusticeDefiled13501 wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you are telling us is that national hotel chains are spending millions to build brand new hotels in Utica so they can lease rooms to sex offenders from “all over the state, country, and even the world”. Did you think this up all by yourself or did you get help.
Maybe they received the same deal as Hotel Utica.
Curious George

Schenectady, NY

#4 Aug 26, 2014
<quoted text>
Yea because the owners and operators care who's in their hotels. Are the owners even American or live here to care what happens with who's staying there? When you're guaranteed to be at capacity and the money is guaranteed too, why wouldn't they keep building them? No different than the absentee landlords Utica embraces. They fix up homes to just pass codes and rent them to the welfare recipients. This is just a way for the big businesses to get in on it and make it look like actual progress.

What exactly does the city of Utica need all these hotels for? If it's not to house the welfare recipients and former criminals then what's going on here to require all these hotels?
Franchise manager

Roslindale, MA

#6 Aug 26, 2014
The chain hotels that are being built and that have been built in the city do not house child molesters in their hotels. Over 90% of the rooms are booked online or through the hotel chain 800 number.

They're being built because they're is a market for business travelers and meeting spaces that isn't being addressed in the Mohawk valley, not to house convicted felons.
Franchise manager

Newark, NJ

#8 Aug 26, 2014
And that's why you're not in the hotel business.
Do you know what the traffic count is on the NYS thruway between the exits into the area?
Do you know how many students from out of the area attend college in the area?
Do you know the number of business travelers per week doing business with the government and it's contractors in the Mohawk valley?
Traffic count on rte 8, 840, 12?
Then add hall of fame weekend, youth hockey, people coming to see relatives for the holidays.

Hotel owners do. That's why they are building them and investing $6-8m and getting a sound ROI .
cheating on Bobby

Utica, NY

#10 Aug 26, 2014
Too Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you touch yourself too much as well. Hall of fame weekend? Business with the government and contractors? Youth hockey? Lol!
So you think about other men touching themselves? Hmmm.....
clifton park riggie

Utica, NY

#12 Aug 26, 2014
You Slipped wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't but it appears you do.
OK riggie slaps it
just gets better

Utica, NY

#15 Aug 27, 2014
A Major hotel chain who has to answer to board members and share/stockholders, and the media/ public (especially the media/public) is going to build a hotel for the purpose of housing sex offenders?
Yep. Makes sense to me!

Level 6

Location hidden

#16 Aug 27, 2014
Fellows wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they are saying is that Utica Politicians already no there will be a loss to these hotels going up and then fold on the deal and leave utica with a brand new hotel where someone they no could buy it for a dollar.
That means these hotel chains are building new hotels based only on the word of Utica’s politicians. No market research, no demographic research, just the blind faith. If this is actually true it makes me wonder how these chains have managed to stay in business this long. Do you really believe that there are enough sex offenders to fill all these rooms? That would mean there are hundreds of them. You’ll have to do a little more to convince me.
Eye Spy

Schenectady, NY

#17 Aug 27, 2014
<quoted text>
That means these hotel chains are building new hotels based only on the word of Utica’s politicians. No market research, no demographic research, just the blind faith. If this is actually true it makes me wonder how these chains have managed to stay in business this long. Do you really believe that there are enough sex offenders to fill all these rooms? That would mean there are hundreds of them. You’ll have to do a little more to convince me.
Utica politicians' "word" is the only thing this city has operated under for the past 10 years at least. Look at all the hotels on Genny already. We've got 5-6 on N Genny alone not to mention the couple downtown. They're never filled to capacity aside from maybe the Boilermaker. Why the need to build more if the brand new ones in the same spot aren't even filled up?

And yes I do believe there are hundreds of sex offenders in Oneida County. Wake up and open your eyes and ears. Daily you can read how they're being released back in our community. High level offenders. Not to mention the other criminals and welfare recipients that make these hotels their home.

Do I think the owners and developers will come out and say this? Absolutely not, but who would? Once the rooms can't be filled because there was never really any need for these hotels in the first place, then they'll start to rent out the rooms to Oneida County. It's happened, still happens, and will keep happening.

Level 6

Location hidden

#18 Aug 27, 2014
Eye Spy wrote:
<quoted text>
Utica politicians' "word" is the only thing this city has operated under for the past 10 years at least. Look at all the hotels on Genny already. We've got 5-6 on N Genny alone not to mention the couple downtown. They're never filled to capacity aside from maybe the Boilermaker. Why the need to build more if the brand new ones in the same spot aren't even filled up?
And yes I do believe there are hundreds of sex offenders in Oneida County. Wake up and open your eyes and ears. Daily you can read how they're being released back in our community. High level offenders. Not to mention the other criminals and welfare recipients that make these hotels their home.
Do I think the owners and developers will come out and say this? Absolutely not, but who would? Once the rooms can't be filled because there was never really any need for these hotels in the first place, then they'll start to rent out the rooms to Oneida County. It's happened, still happens, and will keep happening.
Did you get this information from a reliable source or did you make it up. Do you know for sure that these hotels are under-booked? Have you checked or is this another assumption. Did you try to book a room this weekend when in-coming college students were moving into the area? Do you really think major hotel chains just throw darts at a map to determine where to build? Or maybe they call the mayor and ask “hey, do you want us to build a new hotel for you”? Please, put a little effort into your statements. Think things out a little more. Do some research? These businesses aren’t as dumb as you think. They are in the business of making money. They couldn’t care less what the politicians in Utica want. If they can make a buck, they’ll build. If not, they’ll find somewhere else to build. That is why they live somewhere else and make big salaries and also why you live in Utica and complain.
Truth

Utica, NY

#19 Aug 27, 2014
I must say I was surprised when I saw the sign on N Genesee Street announcing a new Fairfield Inn.

Fairfield is owned by Marriott. Marriott is a very successful and experienced company. They must have market research that shows this location is worth their while otherwise I'm sure they wouldn't build there. Also, to say they are building to house sex offenders is obvious nonsense. This is a company that lives and dies on customer satisfaction. Does it make any sense they would take a chance that something adverse might happen? Not likely.
Franchise Manager

Roslindale, MA

#21 Aug 27, 2014
TheyEvenLeaveTheLightOn wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you don't comprehend very well.
The point I'm making is your politicians will promise businesses these customers (AKA welfare recipients) in the form of sending them to these hotels to live. Instead of helping them relocate and get on their feet like they're supposed to, they'll dump them into a hotel on the taxpayers dime.
The county will foot the bill for them and the hotel will be paid top dollar. Why wouldn't this be a good move on the business side of things? Guaranteed money from the county to fill up these rooms? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
As far as Utica needing more hotels for whatever events you think would necessitate another one, then please enlighten us. Where are your facts backing up anything? I've lived in this City for over 30 years and I can tell you 100% that not a single hotel in the city of Utica has been at its capacity ever, aside from on Boilermaker weekend.
What I'm getting at is that whomever is buying, building, and operating another hotel in Utica clearly knows that they will be sent county funding to harbor the welfare recipients. Whether they're ex-convicts, sex offenders, refugees, or just plain trash taking advantage of the system, their rent and way of life is paid for by our tax dollars through the county. Putting them in these hotels at our expense is a joke.
Take a ride by every hotel in Utica tonight, tomorrow and for the rest of the holiday weekend. Even call them and see if they have vacancies. Maybe even see if they could accommodate a team of some sort. I can guarantee you there is more than enough vacancies at every hotel here.
Flag hotels have no interest in housing that clientele. Hampton Marriott Fairfield holiday inn express all operate at over 70% occupancy rate in the Mohawk valley . The average night stay rate is $169.00. There might be stand alone properties like Hotel Utica, Ramada etc. that would cater to the clientele you've mentioned. The flag hotels aren't interested in it. Franchisees aren't coming into the area for that revenue stream. They are here because the market is under served for business and holiday travel.
djclue

Schenectady, NY

#23 Aug 27, 2014
Franchise Manager wrote:
<quoted text>
Flag hotels have no interest in housing that clientele. Hampton Marriott Fairfield holiday inn express all operate at over 70% occupancy rate in the Mohawk valley . The average night stay rate is $169.00. There might be stand alone properties like Hotel Utica, Ramada etc. that would cater to the clientele you've menial d. The flag hotels aren't interested in it. Franchisees aren't coming into the area for that revenue stream. They are here because the market is under served for business and holiday travel.
We are talking about the City of Utica and not the Mohawk Valley, right? As far as Utica goes, there is no need for another hotel here and nothing is demanding another one be built. You're touching yourself if you believe any hotel runs at over 70% occupancy in the city of Utica. Again, prove it. Your average price point of $169 is far above the going rate here too. The only people paying that kind of money to stay in a Utica hotel is having it paid for them in some way, shape, or form.

We have a Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Red Roof Inn, Days Inn, Best Western, and then the Scottish Inn and Happy Journey just on North Genesee alone. None of which are ever at 50% capacity unless they're housing the welfare recipients. So what will another hotel exactly do and who will it cater to that already isn't being addressed? Who's going to be staying there? 3 of those hotels were just built somewhat recently. The tourism hasn't gone up here or surrounding areas and neither has the business done here. Even the surrounding areas don't have enough going on to generate a need for more hotels in Utica. Companies and factories are moving out of New York, specifically upstate.

The only business booming here is the welfare.
Laughable

Clifton Park, NY

#24 Aug 27, 2014
djclue wrote:
<quoted text>
We are talking about the City of Utica and not the Mohawk Valley, right? As far as Utica goes, there is no need for another hotel here and nothing is demanding another one be built. You're touching yourself if you believe any hotel runs at over 70% occupancy in the city of Utica. Again, prove it. Your average price point of $169 is far above the going rate here too. The only people paying that kind of money to stay in a Utica hotel is having it paid for them in some way, shape, or form.
We have a Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Red Roof Inn, Days Inn, Best Western, and then the Scottish Inn and Happy Journey just on North Genesee alone. None of which are ever at 50% capacity unless they're housing the welfare recipients. So what will another hotel exactly do and who will it cater to that already isn't being addressed? Who's going to be staying there? 3 of those hotels were just built somewhat recently. The tourism hasn't gone up here or surrounding areas and neither has the business done here. Even the surrounding areas don't have enough going on to generate a need for more hotels in Utica. Companies and factories are moving out of New York, specifically upstate.
The only business booming here is the welfare.
Pretty much this.$169 a night and 70% occupancy. Lol
Franchise manager

Roslindale, MA

#25 Aug 27, 2014
Laughable wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty much this.$169 a night and 70% occupancy. Lol
You don't even know your own market. Fortunately people outside the area see it
Umm OK

Clifton Park, NY

#26 Aug 27, 2014
Franchise manager wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't even know your own market. Fortunately people outside the area see it
Well it's not my market but I just went to orbitz and there's plenty of rooms available and for no where near 169 dollars a night for the holiday weekend...you know when all the tourists go to utica.
Franchise manager

Roslindale, MA

#27 Aug 27, 2014
No weekend rates are normally lower than week days . Hampton holiday inn express probably ~ $140 for a Thursday Friday .
clueless

Schenectady, NY

#28 Aug 27, 2014
Franchise manager wrote:
No weekend rates are normally lower than week days . Hampton holiday inn express probably ~$140 for a Thursday Friday .
I feel bad whoever puts you in charge of anything. Being a "franchise manager" and stating that rates are more expensive during the week as opposed to the weekend is absurd. You're an idiot.
I could stay in the middle of Times Square in a 4-Star for $25 more. Get bent. The only people paying $169 a night to stay in Utica are getting it paid for them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carbone 40 min yup 31
basketball boosters 1 hr cmon 3
top HS basketball players in area 1 hr cmon 3
News Police release name of officer, suspect in offi... 1 hr Thin The Herd 4
Oh SH1T! CLAUDIA TENNEY WINS NY22 PRIMARY BIG T... 1 hr No Mas 20
Heritage Home - Tallman 1 hr Granny 1
A&P Images 1 hr Moses Bagg 40
Guess who didnt graduate from ND 6 hr Rob WOMAN YELLO E... 79
karam family salaries in ucsd 9 hr Be Professional 8
rob esche getting divorced 18 hr New Hartford Queen 54