Cuteica

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

What's happening with this? Are they tearing them down or renovating?

Not one house seems salvageable.. kicked in doors, broken windows, ripped off siding, full out holes in the exterior walls, even trees growing right in front of garage doors.

Sad, what a shame.
Cuteica

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2012

I heard somewhere that they were tearing them down & turning them into retirement homes/apartments? Can anyone confirm?
Lisa H

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

Judged:

The base never should have closed.
Shame

Baldwinsville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

Judged:

What a shame with the condition now, compared to when the entire housing area had a mass garage/lawn sale just prior to moving out. Under the watchful eyes of the Air Force, everything was perfect and in it's place. Even the lawns were like a golf course. Now look at it. Yes, what a shame!
yep

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

I heard that the area was full of radon!
Real Deal

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

Judged:

Most likely they could not have been used anyway...military housing frequently does not meet local building codes.
Roman

Ava, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

The Woodhaven property was bought by some lady from NYC sight unseen. She thought she was getting a bargain for a large amount of housing stock... not realizing that the entire compound had been torn apart by people looking for scrap metal and copper. So it sits idle...
ZUES

Wolcott, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Steve Dimeo is movin in..
losers

Oswego, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

Post it in the Rome topix forum, this is Utica. Oh, i forgot not enough educated people to have a meaningful conversation so you look to us. lol
kara

Baldwinsville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

I remember that base housing was overrun with cockroaches years ago. I knew someone who lived in base housing at the time and it was horrible.
Patti

Bloomsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

Judged:

I'm sad to hear the Woodhaven housing area has been abandoned and left in tatters. I lived there when I was a kid. My father was stationed at Griffiss AFB, til he retired in 1969. I was only 5 to 7 years old, but have such fond memories. There were so many kids to play with. It was a wonderful place to be a kid. I remember my father teaching me how to ride my bike there---and all the children running and playing. The green, perfectly mowed lawns. Time changes all things.
teo

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2012

As Real Deal said earlier the houses did not meet modern housing codes and it would have been too expensive for anyone to have brought them up to code.

Razing them seems to be the way to go as there is a surplus housing stock in the area as it is.
Bectel

Geneva, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2012

Dimeo
daniel mills

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Marrs drive 1962 to 1965 my denise the manace years
Esquire

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

President's budget is calling for two more rounds of Base Closure in 2015 and 2017 so say good-bye to the rest of it.
mmm

Floral Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Superfund site?
Griffiss John

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

The saddest thing about the whole scenario is that the government invested huge dollars into updating and renovating the military housing with the two years preceeding the base closure... the homes were fine, livable and fresh. I know, because I lived in one a year before the base closed... originally, the issue was the cost of converting the units to their own utilities... for example, the six plexes on the base essentially had one major service entrance and it split off to feed each of the six units of a plex. There could have been 100 better uses of these facilities than plowing them under or letting them rot... this is a huge travesty.
Mel

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

yep wrote:
I heard that the area was full of radon!
I heard the same thing is it really full of radon? Is that why they're abandon?
Nanotechnology Face

Clifton Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Almost 20 years later! Lol
Chip Plant

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

Another possible location for the mega chip plant that is going to change Utica?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of48
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

179 Users are viewing the Utica Forum right now

Search the Utica Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
matt creaver 20 min RegularCrewChief 2
Profile of Boilermaker fans! 28 min Dont act so butthurt 1
Utica "College" needs "Sports Glory Dome!" 29 min Whoa 79
She said "Yes!" Engagement at Utica's Boilermak... 30 min Dont act so butthurt 1
Boilermaker 31 min Dont act so butthurt 88
Homewreckers 54 min Gypsy 35
Parkway unpaved for boilermaker. WHY? 1 hr Nothing but the truth 16
Fat asses in boilermaker 4 hr Sad 38
•••
•••
•••
•••

Utica Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••