Tragedy at Washington Mills Park

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sad

Utica, NY

#1 Jun 15, 2013
Is it true? Has a child died? I pray it's not!
lol

New York, NY

#2 Jun 15, 2013
Ha
beaner

Lowville, NY

#3 Jun 15, 2013
2 year old girl no name released yet...so sad praying for her family

Level 6

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#4 Jun 15, 2013
beaner wrote:
2 year old girl no name released yet...so sad praying for her family
Iam doing the same thing.
Tells It Like It Is

Utica, NY

#5 Jun 15, 2013
Pray for the poor little girl that had idiots looking after her. And they won't face any charges either.
Sam

Greig, NY

#6 Jun 16, 2013
Tells It Like It Is wrote:
Pray for the poor little girl that had idiots looking after her. And they won't face any charges either.
Please tell us.What should they be charged with.
Tells It Like It Is

Utica, NY

#7 Jun 16, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Please tell us.What should they be charged with.
Endangering the Welfare of a Child, Reckless Endangerment, Criminal Negligence - All in New York State Penal Law. I grant you this is a tragedy, and I'm sure the parents and family are devastated, ad there cannot be enough sympathy. However, if the little girl had been properly supervised, this wouldn't have happened. Should we allow sympathy to allow the charges be dropped for that husband in Forestport that shot his wife? How about the parent that leaves their child strapped in a car out in the hot sun to die? Should that act of carelessness be overlooked out of sympathy? No excuse for neglect. We even arrest people for not properly caring for their pets!
Accidents DO Happen

Little Falls, NY

#8 Jun 16, 2013
A little compassion, please. You weren't there, and have no clue what happened. Do you have children? Judge not, lest ye be judged. Because you never know.
the mills

Whitesboro, NY

#9 Jun 16, 2013
Tells It Like It Is wrote:
<quoted text>Endangering the Welfare of a Child, Reckless Endangerment, Criminal Negligence - All in New York State Penal Law. I grant you this is a tragedy, and I'm sure the parents and family are devastated, ad there cannot be enough sympathy. However, if the little girl had been properly supervised, this wouldn't have happened. Should we allow sympathy to allow the charges be dropped for that husband in Forestport that shot his wife? How about the parent that leaves their child strapped in a car out in the hot sun to die? Should that act of carelessness be overlooked out of sympathy? No excuse for neglect. We even arrest people for not properly caring for their pets!
The NH parks are mostly utilized by inner city folks at the expense of town tax payers. A usage fee would curb many of the types who show up and and act irresponsible. When the town implemented the fishing access platform next to raging water and failed to install any protective barrier, I knew it was a matter of time as I was always concerned about my child's safety. Well, there will undoubtably be a law suit against the town for failing to secure the fishing access platform. I'm surprised their insurance carrier even allowed this. You can probably make a point that the parents were negligent, but the taxpayers are gonna pay.
Are You Serious

Utica, NY

#10 Jun 16, 2013
Accidents DO Happen wrote:
A little compassion, please. You weren't there, and have no clue what happened. Do you have children? Judge not, lest ye be judged. Because you never know.
You're kidding right? You have to turn this into a Bible thumping religious sermon topic?! Yeah, it was meant to be. I'm with the dude for responsibility. Accidents don't happen, they are caused. Every single parent that has a child, especially 2 years old, should make sure they don't ever get close to any kind of water without all the precautions. So, I guess by your post, the example of the parent that leaves a child strapped in a car in the hot sun to cook to a crispy critter does nothing wrong to answer for. After all, in your words, " Accidents happen ". Amen.
lawyers gus and money

New York, NY

#11 Jun 16, 2013
All those trees should come down too because someone might get a sliver and file a law suit.
the mills

Whitesboro, NY

#12 Jun 16, 2013
lawyers gus and money wrote:
All those trees should come down too because someone might get a sliver and file a law suit.
I think that might be a little extreme. The issue will center around the towns designated fishing platform and it can be proven they were negligent in not having safety barriers. If it was just a cleared out area rather than a specified structure, it would be harder to prove negligence. This is an unfortunate tragedy. I feel for the parents and family.
Edge

United States

#13 Jun 16, 2013
the mills wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that might be a little extreme. The issue will center around the towns designated fishing platform and it can be proven they were negligent in not having safety barriers. If it was just a cleared out area rather than a specified structure, it would be harder to prove negligence. This is an unfortunate tragedy. I feel for the parents and family.
Somebody probably already sued the town for NOT having a handicapped accessible fishing platform.
Marty

Clinton, NY

#14 Jun 16, 2013
Watch your children better ok they need their parents to protect them, I mean really who allows a 2 yr old to wonder without a parent
get off you soap box

Hamilton, NY

#15 Jun 16, 2013
What is wrong with you people. All the horrible, judgemental comments on here and Wktv is sickening. For all of you superparents who claim to be infallible remember karma is a b!tch. I personally feel I am a good parent but not because I can do a better job than others or because I know this could never happen to me. Matter of fact it is the opposite. I worry every day about the what ifs and know I cannot protect my child from everything. It's that fear that makes me more cautious and aware so I do the best I can. But I also know it only takes a split second for a child to pull away from you in a parking lot just as someone is backing out. Or like in this case fall in and be swept immediately down creek 1,000 feet. I do the best I can but not everything is in our control and we are all human and will not always make the best judgement calls. If someone intentionally hurts a child then judgement can be passed but to add to the pain and suffering of parents who have just experienced a horrible tragedy is inhuman.
Really

Utica, NY

#16 Jun 16, 2013
get off you soap box wrote:
What is wrong with you people. All the horrible, judgemental comments on here and Wktv is sickening. For all of you superparents who claim to be infallible remember karma is a b!tch. I personally feel I am a good parent but not because I can do a better job than others or because I know this could never happen to me. Matter of fact it is the opposite. I worry every day about the what ifs and know I cannot protect my child from everything. It's that fear that makes me more cautious and aware so I do the best I can. But I also know it only takes a split second for a child to pull away from you in a parking lot just as someone is backing out. Or like in this case fall in and be swept immediately down creek 1,000 feet. I do the best I can but not everything is in our control and we are all human and will not always make the best judgement calls. If someone intentionally hurts a child then judgement can be passed but to add to the pain and suffering of parents who have just experienced a horrible tragedy is inhuman.
If judging these parents who made the mistake of not being attentive enough to their 2 year old who is now dead because of it, saves the life of another child, then it is very human. You can call it an accident as many times as you want and will never change the fact that the child is dead because of the parents being attentive enough to their child.
gee

Utica, NY

#17 Jun 16, 2013
It's amazing how virtually every species of animal has mothers and fathers that are ferociously protective of their young and yet throughout the centuries, this protective behavior has somehow eluded the human species--and we are the ones that are 'supposed' to have the superior intellect.
'
the mills

Whitesboro, NY

#18 Jun 16, 2013
Charging a park usage fee will keep many of the careless rift raft types out. Not saying this family was, but based on what I've seen.... Inner city trash... They do let their kids runaround
New Hartford

Syracuse, NY

#19 Jun 16, 2013
I agree... This accident should have never happened! This was not parents who took their eyes off their child for a minute and a tragity happened, this is parents who took their eyes off their child for several minutes and tragity happened. Even from the parking lot, if it were only a minute, they would have cought that child... What's the difference when a parent leaves a baby in the car while they run into a gas station? I am not saying any one of us are better, but I am saying WATCH your children, especially in a park! This is NOT the Towns fault, and shame on anyone who would sue. The tax payers should not have to pay to defend this.
good location

Utica, NY

#20 Jun 16, 2013
Building a sandbox playground 10ft away from a creek was a great idea, they should move it next to the train tracks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Majority thinks Trump's first year is a failure 4 min Gaggy 55
Sneaky brindisi 30 min Sarita 73
Kim Strong And The Pitbulls 33 min Disciplined 7
Heather Mowat Is Back 47 min Hillary Clinton 13
So I Was In Lowes 59 min A Taxpayer 65
Mid-State Prison Closings 1 hr Old CO 12
trump will fix it 1 hr a joke 19
Piazza k9 services 3 hr Ootica 71
Herb Philipson's being sold 3 hr Paula 94
Yorville fire. Wktv. Wow!! 4 hr Truth Shall Set Y... 37