Shopping Discount for Foodstamps

Posted in the Utica Forum

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Aug 23, 2013
sick of it

Utica, NY

#1 Aug 20, 2013
Just spent over $150 dollars cash at Price Chopper on groceries. At the same time I noticed the cash register said $118 EBT Food Stamp price. I asked the clerk if that would be my price if I paid that way. His response was, "yes."

I can't tell you how disgusted I am at this chain for essentially giving someone a 20% discount for something they are getting for free. In essence this is just wrong and they can buy 20% more groceries than me on a tax exempt basis.

This is an insult to people like myself who work hard, pay taxes and fund these programs.
Dave

Herkimer, NY

#2 Aug 20, 2013
sick of it wrote:
Just spent over $150 dollars cash at Price Chopper on groceries. At the same time I noticed the cash register said $118 EBT Food Stamp price. I asked the clerk if that would be my price if I paid that way. His response was, "yes."
I can't tell you how disgusted I am at this chain for essentially giving someone a 20% discount for something they are getting for free. In essence this is just wrong and they can buy 20% more groceries than me on a tax exempt basis.
This is an insult to people like myself who work hard, pay taxes and fund these programs.
Tell that to all the refugees that keep flocking to Utica by the thousands!! Write an editorial in the paper. Nothing you say on here matters in the long run. Sorry, but it's true.
social networking

Kathmandu, Nepal

#3 Aug 20, 2013
Harvard student Mark Zuckerberg has created social networking site.now is well recognized as facebook. but two brother claimed it that they were the father of this idea.
Upstate

Utica, NY

#4 Aug 21, 2013
I think you and the cashier are both misunderstanding the receipt. The $118 EBT total on the receipt would be what portion of your things were food stamp eligible. You probably also had other items in your order that were not eligible so were not included in the EBT amount. Those using food stamps do not get a discount on their grocery purchases.
sick of it

Utica, NY

#5 Aug 21, 2013
Upstate wrote:
I think you and the cashier are both misunderstanding the receipt. The $118 EBT total on the receipt would be what portion of your things were food stamp eligible. You probably also had other items in your order that were not eligible so were not included in the EBT amount. Those using food stamps do not get a discount on their grocery purchases.
There was no misunderstanding. He made it very clear to me and it was displayed. The fact is, I paid $33 dollars more no matter what items were or were not eligible for EBT.
Misunderstanding

Syracuse, NY

#7 Aug 21, 2013
sick of it wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no misunderstanding. He made it very clear to me and it was displayed. The fact is, I paid $33 dollars more no matter what items were or were not eligible for EBT.
No, you didn't. The "EBT total" is the total that can be charged to the food stamp card for the items purchased. Items like soap, paper products, health and beauty aids, alcohol, etc. cannot be paid for with food stamps. The food stamp recipient, if he went through the line with your purchases would have $118 taken from his food stamp card and would then have to present $33 cash for the non-food stamp eligible items.
West Side Grocery

Utica, NY

#8 Aug 21, 2013
Misunderstanding wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you didn't. The "EBT total" is the total that can be charged to the food stamp card for the items purchased. Items like soap, paper products, health and beauty aids, alcohol, etc. cannot be paid for with food stamps. The food stamp recipient, if he went through the line with your purchases would have $118 taken from his food stamp card and would then have to present $33 cash for the non-food stamp eligible items.
I take EBT cards for beer and smokes. I'll even give you cash at 50 cents/dollar.
King Andrew of Albany

Utica, NY

#9 Aug 22, 2013
Dave wrote:
<quoted text> Tell that to all the refugees that keep flocking to Utica by the thousands!! Write an editorial in the paper. Nothing you say on here matters in the long run. Sorry, but it's true.
Nothing anyone says anywhere will matter, period. The area is demographically and economically doomed. Nothing can or will be improved, because there's no need to. Those in charge now realize that their only option is to follow the Detroit method: simply pander to increasing numbers of takers and criminals and maintain power by chanting the right platitudes at election time. And always, ALWAYS blame the working class, because you can't rally the rabble without really good platitudes that blame the Other Guy. Worked for bammy twice. This area has one future: a dumping ground for scum. Hope you weren't planning on maintaining home equity.
Juan

Rome, NY

#10 Aug 22, 2013
sick of it wrote:
You are very mistaken and perhaps misunderstood the cashier. The food stamp total displayed on the register is the amount that is eligible for payment with SNAP benefits. There is no discount offered for payment with SNAP. A grocery store sells items that are food stamp eligible, as well as items that do not qualify. For example, if you are buying a six pack of beer or a bar of soap, you can't pay for them with a SNAP card. You can use your SNAP card for those items that qualify, then pay for the beer and soap with cash or any other payment method. It is illegal for the store to accept SNAP for those ineligible items, as that would constitute fraud. I am aware that there have been numerous reports of some small, independant "bodega" type stores that take SNAP for beer and cigarettes, even though this practice is illegal. Please keep in mind that the majority of SNAP recipients are honest and deserving. Many people who receive benefits only get a small amount, and this is not the sort of massive give away program you have been mislead into believing.
who

Utica, NY

#11 Aug 23, 2013
WTF ! Who cares? Mind your own business...
Carl

Durhamville, NY

#12 Aug 23, 2013
There is no discount for food stamps. Many stores display the qualifying amount as a food stamp total on their registers, so that the cashier and customer know how much to charge on the benefits card.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brodock Press 2 min slapanut 4
Was anybody actually at Fuel's men's room when ... 12 min muggy and hot 8
who is sara lane? (Aug '10) 13 min Mikes 10
little blue car on clinton st 21 min drunken slob insu... 1
high school football 22 min white 1
Columbia closing? What a shock... 23 min Karma 9
NH 12 Year Old Sues NHCSD 39 min What Is In A Name 3
Mark Butler admits no chip manufacturing plant due 51 min Dr Answer 6
Jill WKTV 7 hr Jennifer 15
utica national (Jun '13) 12 hr contact info 528