UPD: Men walking in street led to arr...

UPD: Men walking in street led to arrest for drugs, open warrants

There are 48 comments on the Utica Daily News story from Mar 7, 2011, titled UPD: Men walking in street led to arrest for drugs, open warrants. In it, Utica Daily News reports that:

On March 4, at around 10:20 p.m., Police Officers Brian Bansner and David Singe arrested Marquis Boykin, 20, of Utica, on misdemeanor drug charges and active warrants, after he and a friend were stopped for unlawfully walking in the roadway on the 1300 block of Neilson Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Utica Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
The Dude Abides

Rochester, NY

#1 Mar 7, 2011
LMAO !! why are they always Jaywalking, or shufflin' in the road.
They refuse to cross perpenticularly, they cross at a diagonal and get mad if you honk the horn, look at them, yell at them, or drive within 5 feet of them.
racist

Granite City, IL

#2 Mar 8, 2011
So cops just happened to be watching for people unlawfully walking in the streets of Cornhill? Wow, and you wonder why blacks feel targeted??? Drive for 5 minutes in Utica and you will see 20 whites doing the same, but unharassed for it. When does it end???
Moron

Lowville, NY

#3 Mar 8, 2011
racist wrote:
So cops just happened to be watching for people unlawfully walking in the streets of Cornhill? Wow, and you wonder why blacks feel targeted??? Drive for 5 minutes in Utica and you will see 20 whites doing the same, but unharassed for it. When does it end???
Its not racist! My white neighbors also got a ticket for jaywalking. So before you KNOW THE FACTS, keep your musty mouth shut!

K. Thanks for playing though!
owner

Utica, NY

#4 Mar 8, 2011
They know they are doing illegal stuff, so they just need a reason to stop them without harrassing them. Good job. Stupid people.
IgnorantRacists

Herkimer, NY

#6 Mar 8, 2011
Moron wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not racist! My white neighbors also got a ticket for jaywalking. So before you KNOW THE FACTS, keep your musty mouth shut!
K. Thanks for playing though!
Easy for someone who's never been racially profiled. Ignorance is bliss, but the truth is the truth. Deny it all you want, which is why race relations are at a stand-still.
And the only thing "musty" must be your ass, you inbred POS .. to be continued?:)
respect for residents

Little Falls, NY

#9 Mar 8, 2011
Long Time Utican wrote:
It's about time UPD starts enforcing the NO Jaywalking law. No matter where you go in Utica, you are always finding people or groups of kids walking in the streets even if the sidewalks are clear.
Not only are they endangering themselves but also the drivers on the road. Some of these groups are so arrogrant they won't even move out of the street when a Police Officer in his Squad Car toots his horn & siren for them to move.
These people just dare a driver to hit them so they can sue to get more "free money".
When are some of these people going to learn - obey the laws and you won't feel "harassed"!!!!
NaNa, once again you prove to everyone you're a racist. The last time I debated you on this issue your post disappeared from the thread so I know you either have access to or work for topix. The above incident is selective enforcement/racial profiling. UPD has never chosen to enforce the jaywalking law and the few times it has was only towards colored people (black/latino). Don't take my word for it, read their own FB page. Not a single white person cited for jay walking since the page has been in use...not 1. If you go back 3 years, you won't find one in the books. Stand on Genessee street right NOW and you'll see plenty of white folks jaywalking while police cars drive by.

The problem with this city is too many people share your opinion of race relations. Usually officer Cerminaro is patrolling the streets of Cornhill in car 55 and he is liked and respected by the residents of that community. If you read the paper you would see less crime comes from that community despite it being majority black because they finally have a COP (constable on patrol) and not an ignorant crime figher.

Why aren't the colored police officers patrolling the communities with majority colored residents so fair and equal treatment may be observed? Most white UPD officers are NOT fair like officer Cerminaro so they (Holt, Paladino, etc) manufacture reasons to harrass minority residents. I live in NU (like you NaNa) and our everyday police officer is black. He should be working the inner city to build better relations with the people of that community.
FOR real

Atlanta, GA

#10 Mar 8, 2011
respect for residents wrote:
<quoted text>NaNa, once again you prove to everyone you're a racist. The last time I debated you on this issue your post disappeared from the thread so I know you either have access to or work for topix. The above incident is selective enforcement/racial profiling. UPD has never chosen to enforce the jaywalking law and the few times it has was only towards colored people (black/latino). Don't take my word for it, read their own FB page. Not a single white person cited for jay walking since the page has been in use...not 1. If you go back 3 years, you won't find one in the books. Stand on Genessee street right NOW and you'll see plenty of white folks jaywalking while police cars drive by.
The problem with this city is too many people share your opinion of race relations. Usually officer Cerminaro is patrolling the streets of Cornhill in car 55 and he is liked and respected by the residents of that community. If you read the paper you would see less crime comes from that community despite it being majority black because they finally have a COP (constable on patrol) and not an ignorant crime figher.
Why aren't the colored police officers patrolling the communities with majority colored residents so fair and equal treatment may be observed? Most white UPD officers are NOT fair like officer Cerminaro so they (Holt, Paladino, etc) manufacture reasons to harrass minority residents. I live in NU (like you NaNa) and our everyday police officer is black. He should be working the inner city to build better relations with the people of that community.
How do you know what happens here if you live in New Jersey? First off the charges are NOT JAYWALKING you stupid POS. They were unlawfully walking in the ROAD, not crossing where there is no crosswalk. You show how stupid you are by your comments. If you were to drive through the inner city in Utica you would know this happens all the time. For some reason the sidewalk is not good enough for most afro americans and they continue to use the ROAD as a walkway. It is ridiculous and just plain dumb and it's about time something was done.
respect for residents

Little Falls, NY

#11 Mar 8, 2011
FOR real wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know what happens here if you live in New Jersey? First off the charges are NOT JAYWALKING you stupid POS. They were unlawfully walking in the ROAD, not crossing where there is no crosswalk. You show how stupid you are by your comments. If you were to drive through the inner city in Utica you would know this happens all the time. For some reason the sidewalk is not good enough for most afro americans and they continue to use the ROAD as a walkway. It is ridiculous and just plain dumb and it's about time something was done.
NU means North Utica for one. Secondly, most sidewalks are NOT plowed during the winter and city codes does nothing about it so people walk in the street. Instead of blaming the poor because they can't afford cars and many residents with cars don't care enough to plow their sidewalks, do something about the root problem...SIDEWALKS NOT GETTING PAVED. Third, that doesn't change the fact people have been walking in the road all winter because of the above referenced problem and UPD has once again singled out the colored resident.

I don't know why you resort to name calling when people disagree with your position; its only shows your ignorance. If you're right people will respect you speaking up for the truth. In this case you're not.
respect for residents

Little Falls, NY

#14 Mar 8, 2011
Long Time Utican wrote:
<quoted text>
This morning I had to take my Grandaughter to College & a business appointment and I was parked waiting for her downtown - one block off Genesee Street. Every person I saw walking in the road was black - NOT WHITE!!!! Also - ALL the sidewalks were clear.
Maybe in your mind blacks are being targetted by UPD - but in reality it is because the majority of them (young & old) are the ones who walk in the road and also have the most outstanding Warrants against them. If you will notice on UPD's Facebook, the ones that have been arrested for Jaywalking, also have had outstanding Warrants against them.
As far as the "colored Policeman" that patrols N. Utica, his name is Officer Jones and he does an excellent job. He is not afraid to arrest anyone (white or black)that is causing a disturbance or breaking any laws. I'm sure he would do the same if he patrolled Cornhill.
Get off using the excuse of "racism" - face the facts; they speak for themselves. When the black race can live in Society and obey all the rules of Society, then they will then become accepted by Society. So far, the majority of the black race hasn't done this for the past 300 years.
You're such a liar. I just left Genesse and didn't see anything close to what you posted. And about to head that way again. The black officer does a Great job and that's why he should be in Cornhill when Cerminaro can't be instead of someone insensitive to the needs of that community.

"The majority of the black race hasn't", you say. Everytime you open your mouth you prove to the entire world how you're nothing but a racist. Well let me be on my way to Genessee st so I can see all the blacks walking down the middle of the street. lol.
hotMESS

Baldwinsville, NY

#18 Mar 8, 2011
I'm sorry, but I see people of ALL races and ages walking in the street, jay-walking, riding bikes with the traffic, and playing in the streets. I guess if you're only looking for Black people, that's all you see.

I also see lots of messed-up side walks (been that way for YEARS) and in the winter, unshoveled sidewalks.

I see cars going well over the 30 mph city limit in neighborhoods and school zones.

Oh and LTU - I know that couldn't have been you who referred to me as "Miss Blackface".....
The Dude Abides

Rochester, NY

#19 Mar 8, 2011
Racist is such a tired and overplayed word. Much like the Cullerds always whipping out the "Race" card when they find themselves in a no win situation. It is an act of a desperate person who cant have a civil debate or has nothing to back up. That Trump card has no power. They love to yell at the top of their lungs, wave their arms and hands, bobble their heads, and chant Racism.

People dont know the difference between true racism, bigotry, discrimination and prejudice.
respect for residents

Herkimer, NY

#20 Mar 8, 2011
Yes please tell me the difference because I always thought prejudice by race is to dislike people because of race and discrimination was acting on that prejudice. It's all racism but please enlighten me if you know different.
hotMESS

Baldwinsville, NY

#21 Mar 8, 2011
Who started the racist threads? Who always starts the racist threads? Black people?

And what the hell is a "cullerd"?
hotMESS

Baldwinsville, NY

#22 Mar 8, 2011
Yeah, and I am "clueless" "nuts" and could care less if anyone "agrees"
The Dude Abides

Rochester, NY

#23 Mar 8, 2011
respect for residents wrote:
Yes please tell me the difference because I always thought prejudice by race is to dislike people because of race and discrimination was acting on that prejudice. It's all racism but please enlighten me if you know different.
Look each word up and research it on your own. Are you too lazy for self-enlightenment?
Each is a different level or step or intensity.
Think Archie Bunker vs. David Dukes or Malcom X, Trent Lott/Strom Thurmond, Jeremiah Wright, JB Stoner.
About Time

Utica, NY

#24 Mar 8, 2011
They busted some of these AH's for walking in the streets! Keep it up and Thank You!
respect for residents

Herkimer, NY

#25 Mar 10, 2011
What's your point? You were so quick to point out your disagreement with the use of the terms but don't have an explanation to support your disagreement? Racism is racism. It doesn't matter the level of influence or conviction. I'll say it again, the above charges are selective enforcement.

What would you call it if all races were committing a crime but a majority black police unit was only targeting the white population? Would you then say its ok they allow others to commit a crime then make an example out you?
ha ha

Utica, NY

#26 Mar 10, 2011
yeah dont worry about the fact the kid was doing illegal things ...worry about race...yeah its always racial...upd is so racial....christ there is bosnian cops

love it when they walk in the middle of the road in july cause of the snow covered sidewalk
Austin Centelolla

United States

#27 Mar 11, 2011
The kneegroes are tripping on acid and methamphetamine pretending they're driving their lowrider thru the streets of Harlem. As long as they stay off of Erie street, they're fine.
get serious

Herkimer, NY

#28 Mar 11, 2011
ha ha wrote:
yeah dont worry about the fact the kid was doing illegal things ...worry about race...yeah its always racial...upd is so racial....christ there is bosnian cops
love it when they walk in the middle of the road in july cause of the snow covered sidewalk
Jay walking is not a criminal act which is why UPD usually overlooks the offense. Imagine our legal cost if they were to arrest every person guilty of jay walking. The arrest happened the day after we got 20 inches of snow in March and most sidewalks weren't plowed so lets worry about July when we get there.

Since you don't know any better, Bosnians are white like us.

Do you not have a life? Posting on Topix in the middle of the night? Is that what people from North Utica do for a living? LOL

Lets be honest, UPD rarely targets white people for a frivolous offense so if I were them I would have the same complaint. Ever hear of a word called empathy?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Liz Salerno dating her dad? 5 min Steph 52
President Trump a Great Leader 13 min Proud Countryman 1
Scooby dog food smell 46 min Not lately 4
On The Mark gone again 56 min Town worker 4
Kelly Uvanni or the Summitt car girl? 1 hr Mmm mmm good 9
NEW REALITY SHOW! "Only in Utica"! 2 hr Utica 5
Insane Woman Utica 2 hr Utica 1
Joette Mancuso 6 hr CNY Poverty Pit 11
Work On Aud Improvements 6 hr CNY Poverty Pit 425
Need a good Divorce Lawyer in New Hartford? 8 hr CNY Poverty Pit 102