Utica National Insurance Won't pay m...
All Wet in NY

Brooklyn, NY

#64 Oct 16, 2011
My hear goes out to "BURNED UP" I know what you're going through, I have a similar situation, but not nearly as bad!

I've been insured with Utica National for nearly 30yrs. At one time I thought they were an excellent company….I’m over that thought now!
I had a water damage( shower stem cracked behind wall) claim in April of 2011. I can NOT get them to make a fair settlement. They paid a company that came here for water restoration (someone I called and hired, then they immediately made a call and hired to work in their best interest UNDISCLOSED) nearly $4000.00 to put a few pcs of equipment (dehumidifiers) and cut apart my home…. walls, ceilings, carpet, etc.bag and remove. Utica then cut me a check for $4700. When I said I can’t make the repairs with that amount, the restoration company said they can do it!! This $4700 was to make all repairs and rebuild what the restoration company tore down (mind you they didn’t purchase any materials for a rebuild and were paid $4000), carpet alone is nearly $2500, that included all sheetrock, ceilings and walls, spackle, moldings, insulation and paint! They also forgot about re-insulating my pipes, the damaged water stained an moldy sub floor (water ran between the concrete board and sub-floor) restoration company forgot (or did they intentionally forget?) to remediate…etc. and my upper level bathroom (DUH, that’s where the water damage started) It necessitated me hiring a PA, who's estimate of damage came in at over $22,000. building damage ONLY.
A complaint has been filed with the NYS Insurance Department (approx 1.5 months ago) and I have papers here to file with the Attorney General (waiting hoping Utica would make good)
On the contents.....Here's just ONE example there are many: Utica won't even reimburse the correct amount with “ORIGINAL receipt” from end of Nov. 2010. only willing to pay 2/3rds. Meanwhile the adjuster looked through all the bags of personal property (I needed to hold for adjuster inpection for 2wks)! Photos of items don’t matter either, UTICA will tell you what you had, and chooses lesser quality items from the internet, which also don’t include shipping!! Ha,Ha….and then makes up imaginary depreciation, if you said it’s 2 yrs old, Utica will tell you it 5yrs old.

We can NOT get Utica to step up to the plate on this loss. They have ACTUALLY requested a receipt for the marble floor I have in my bathroom purchased in 1986!! So far they’re only willing to pay for tile, when the proof of having the marble floor is photographed by THEIR restoration company, and still on the floor all viewed by Utica, and Restoration Co.!

Unfortunately, I will need to pay for the majority of this out of OWN my pocket. I can't wait anymore it's been 6 months going on 7 months, and I have no insulation around my pipes and exterior walls where this occurred, no sheetrock, electrical outlets hanging out of walls and ceilings, carpet cut up and is dangerous (trip factor.) and winter is right around the corner!
Since this claim, I've been harassed by underwriting..... had all types of questionnaires to complete, inspector coming to my home for evaluations, etc.

One more thing, don’t think the restoration company entering your home is working for you, and your best interest, chances are they’re working in the interest of the insurance company which means…..pay as little as you can get away with!

Good Luck if you ever need to use your insurance…… and you are unfortunately insured with UTICA!!
burned up

Pulaski, NY

#65 Oct 16, 2011
Since my problem with Utica National materialized, I have heard of several of the same types of complaints, that being of their unaccountability even as they boast of record profits and buying other insurance companies out of state. They will lull and slow-walk your claim to suit their needs,as they tell you lies. I do hope people will heed these messages of claims and avoid this pathetic company. I will never give up to such a company, and I know you will do the same. I welcome others to come forward about their negative operations
also. Stay strong.
Just stop

Rome, NY

#66 Oct 17, 2011
A p.a. Gets five percent not twelve. Also they get you a lot more. I always use one
inqiring minds

Red Hook, NY

#67 Oct 17, 2011
Want to know what happened to Nina did she retire on her own or forced out?
All Wet in NY

Brooklyn, NY

#68 Oct 18, 2011
burned up wrote:
Since my problem with Utica National materialized, I have heard of several of the same types of complaints, that being of their unaccountability even as they boast of record profits and buying other insurance companies out of state. They will lull and slow-walk your claim to suit their needs,as they tell you lies. I do hope people will heed these messages of claims and avoid this pathetic company. I will never give up to such a company, and I know you will do the same. I welcome others to come forward about their negative operations
also. Stay strong.
Thank you! You stay strong too! Please let us know how you make out!
All Wet in NY

Brooklyn, NY

#69 Oct 18, 2011
Just stop wrote:
A p.a. Gets five percent not twelve. Also they get you a lot more. I always use one
I'm paying 10% to my PA....I'm sure it's different according to the amount of the claim and area the PA is working in.

But don't you feel it's a real shame that we pay for insurance all of these years, and can't secure a fair and equitable settlement, without having to pay a percentage to a PA? Money which is needed to make necessary repairs?

If it's a $20,000 dollar loss, and $1000. ded. and the PA takes $2000. the insurance company takes depreciation, even with replacment cost on the building (you need to fight for it back later, most people don't) say of $1000. That's $4000. So now you have $16,000 to do $20,000 in repairs....

Mr Wong

Utica, NY

#70 Oct 18, 2011
All Wet in NY wrote:
My hear goes out to "BURNED UP" I know what you're going through, I have a similar situation, but not nearly as bad!
I've been insured with Utica National for nearly 30yrs. At one time I thought they were an excellent company….I’m over that thought now!
I had a water damage( shower stem cracked behind wall) claim in April of 2011. I can NOT get them to make a fair settlement. They paid a company that came here for water restoration (someone I called and hired, then they immediately made a call and hired to work in their best interest UNDISCLOSED) nearly $4000.00 to put a few pcs of equipment (dehumidifiers) and cut apart my home…. walls, ceilings, carpet, etc.bag and remove. Utica then cut me a check for $4700. When I said I can’t make the repairs with that amount, the restoration company said they can do it!! This $4700 was to make all repairs and rebuild what the restoration company tore down (mind you they didn’t purchase any materials for a rebuild and were paid $4000), carpet alone is nearly $2500, that included all sheetrock, ceilings and walls, spackle, moldings, insulation and paint! They also forgot about re-insulating my pipes, the damaged water stained an moldy sub floor (water ran between the concrete board and sub-floor) restoration company forgot (or did they intentionally forget?) to remediate…etc. and my upper level bathroom (DUH, that’s where the water damage started) It necessitated me hiring a PA, who's estimate of damage came in at over $22,000. building damage ONLY.
A complaint has been filed with the NYS Insurance Department (approx 1.5 months ago) and I have papers here to file with the Attorney General (waiting hoping Utica would make good)
On the contents.....Here's just ONE example there are many: Utica won't even reimburse the correct amount with “ORIGINAL receipt” from end of Nov. 2010. only willing to pay 2/3rds. Meanwhile the adjuster looked through all the bags of personal property (I needed to hold for adjuster inpection for 2wks)! Photos of items don’t matter either, UTICA will tell you what you had, and chooses lesser quality items from the internet, which also don’t include shipping!! Ha,Ha….and then makes up imaginary depreciation, if you said it’s 2 yrs old, Utica will tell you it 5yrs old.
We can NOT get Utica to step up to the plate on this loss. They have ACTUALLY requested a receipt for the marble floor I have in my bathroom purchased in 1986!! So far they’re only willing to pay for tile, when the proof of having the marble floor is photographed by THEIR restoration company, and still on the floor all viewed by Utica, and Restoration Co.!
Unfortunately, I will need to pay for the majority of this out of OWN my pocket. I can't wait anymore it's been 6 months going on 7 months, and I have no insulation around my pipes and exterior walls where this occurred, no sheetrock, electrical outlets hanging out of walls and ceilings, carpet cut up and is dangerous (trip factor.) and winter is right around the corner!
Since this claim, I've been harassed by underwriting..... had all types of questionnaires to complete, inspector coming to my home for evaluations, etc.
One more thing, don’t think the restoration company entering your home is working for you, and your best interest, chances are they’re working in the interest of the insurance company which means…..pay as little as you can get away with!
Good Luck if you ever need to use your insurance…… and you are unfortunately insured with UTICA!!
That's what you get for hiring Disaster Services and BLC. They are in bed with each other!
All Wet in NY

Brooklyn, NY

#71 Oct 18, 2011
Mr Wong wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what you get for hiring Disaster Services and BLC. They are in bed with each other!
They sure are.......I think they may even be one and the same!!
This certainly didn't feel like an arms length transaction!
who cares

Springfield, MA

#72 Oct 19, 2011
As long as she is gone...she was worthless
Not Clarke

Utica, NY

#73 Oct 19, 2011
who cares wrote:
As long as she is gone...she was worthless
100% right she was useless. She is an example of someone whom played that gender card for all it was worth, regardless of whether she had a clue or not.
burned up

Gloversville, NY

#74 Oct 19, 2011
I've used this forum (Topix) in the other states that Utica National does business in to get the same word out to those people in the hopes that they, too do not waste their insurance dollar.
Mr Wong

Utica, NY

#75 Oct 19, 2011
All Wet in NY wrote:
<quoted text>
They sure are.......I think they may even be one and the same!!
This certainly didn't feel like an arms length transaction!
They jack the bill up so BLC gets a larger piece of the pie!
wondering

Worcester, MA

#76 Oct 19, 2011
Wow all of this insurance talk has me wondering what kind of situation I would be in if I ever have a major claim. I have Allstate. Anyone have any major claim experience with them?
mythreesons

East Chatham, NY

#77 Aug 28, 2012
burned up..just wondering if you have any updates?
Anonymous

Brentwood, NY

#78 Sep 24, 2012
I can certainly agree on one, rather two points. The company is very cheap in payments and will go to any depth to deprive you of you entitlements. I was recently rear-ended by one of their insured and am going to have to go through physical therapy [a 100% fault of their insured] but the company people are refusing to give me a rental car while my car gets repaired and wants me to ask my insurance [GEICO] to fight on what should I get from them or not. Very arrogant in their tones, very mean in their talks, no manners, seriously inconsiderate to one who has been hurt because of their insured's mistake. They are rather interested in defending their case even after knowing the whole case is crystal clear just to save whereever they can blame the other party or other insurance. I would say no body, I mean no body should buy their insurance. At the minimum they can count me out in this life even if they want to offer me insurance at half the rate from GEICO. Even worst, their appraiser refused to give me any paperwork for the estimate he made on my car and when I complained the lady on the other side refused to listen any thing and instead argued and said their appraisers don't have equipment necessary to give the copy of estimate. I am sure he was not writing on a sticky note pad. He was writing on some thing that he could have easily given me a copy from underneath. Finally, I got the copy in email and then in mail also after making a second complaint at a higher level. Interesting thing is while their appraiser refused to give any paperwork he sure gave me a business card for a repair shop who called me within the hour of his departure and his senior officer was leaving no room in defending him. UTICA is a real nasty name in my dictionary now.
linda

Monmouth Junction, NJ

#79 Nov 11, 2012
utica insurance company is a worst company i've ever seen before. during this recent storm of hurricane sandy we post a claim but returned back with not even a penny. for all these years of payments on time and no claims at all they denied our first calim. i heard my other friends said that they nerver pay their customers. i believe we should all cancelled out from this company. this kinds of cheater company should not be existing in this world.
Home Office

Utica, NY

#80 Nov 11, 2012
No wonder they let about 25 ppl go recently.
Burned Up

Altmar, NY

#81 Nov 12, 2012
Utica National just keeps showing their true colors...they are criminal. No one should ever even consider their type of insurance. And those that have their insurance, please get out NOW...or waste your money. They simply are not worthy of your time, and especially not your MONEY.

Level 1

Since: Feb 13

United States

#82 Feb 15, 2013
I work for Utica and it is a horrid. HORRID. place to work. terrible work environment, misers, cheap, sinking ship. Slow leak but it will eventually sink. I would never recommend this place as an employer or as an insured. EVER. completely detached from reality and full of antiquated ideas and shit for brains for upper level mgmt. HORRID!! every day I pray that this company goes under or that it gets bought out. Although who would buy out a sinking ship.
Burned Up

Gloversville, NY

#83 Feb 15, 2013
badea wrote:
I work for Utica and it is a horrid. HORRID. place to work. terrible work environment, misers, cheap, sinking ship. Slow leak but it will eventually sink. I would never recommend this place as an employer or as an insured. EVER. completely detached from reality and full of antiquated ideas and shit for brains for upper level mgmt. HORRID!! every day I pray that this company goes under or that it gets bought out. Although who would buy out a sinking ship.
Sorry to hear of your situation...but it comes as no surprise. This so called "company" does not know how to treat true honest people. They are disgusting at best. And even then they,
by what you say as their employee, do not respect what you do for them everyday. As they also do not respect their policy holders.
They only respect their own bank accounts. They will sink in their
own criminality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why are police shooting people 2 hr real criminals 5
low water levels at hinkley ? 4 hr Boat less 5
A third term for Obama 6 hr More Facts 59
Teachers need to be drug tested ! 8 hr thomas g 19
Instead of Lions 9 hr Georgie 7
West Side Dental North Utica (May '12) 11 hr chipped tooth 6
Bernie sanders 17 hr Abby 16
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages