Remington Closing- Moving To Alabama
Strictly Bussiness

AOL

#38 Feb 16, 2014
"Sources said the plant would be located in a former Chrysler plant on Wall-Triana Highway and Electronics Boulevard, near Huntsville International Airport. That plant. A 500,000-square-foot Remington plant would be one of the largest in the area, which has a 1.2 million-square-foot Toyota site in Huntsville, 500,000-square-foot Carpenter Technology metals facility in Tanner, 1.6 million-square-foot United Launch Alliance factory in Decatur and 700,000-square-foot Navistar production and office space in Huntsville."

My thoughts:
It's fair to say that the Huntsville area has a fair share of decent paying manufacturing jobs. I would suspect that the jobs at the new Remington - Alabama will follow suit. The Huntsville Toyota plant is on the UAW's list of targeted auto plants in the south but I seriously doubt the UAW will succeed after suffering defeat this weekend in unionizing the VW plant in Tennesee.
Remington operations in Ilion will ramp down over the course of 2014 and will cease all together in 2015.
With the large labor pool in Huntsville I doubt there will be many opportunities for Remington - Ilion folks to relocate to Alabama.

I don't think the policies of the current state government are entirely to blame for this move. The Safe Act is law only because of the current politcal party in power. If there is a change in power, the law goes away. We have elections for state seats and governor in 9 months. The new owners of The Remington Outdoor Company know this so why move operations now?
The struck a deal with the municipal power in 2012, sunk 80 mil in process upgrades in 2012 - 2013, in 2011 sales increased from $735 mil to $950 mil in 2012. Labor costs (despite being a union plant were not an issue. So what gives?
A move like this had to be in company's longterm planning strategy. In other words, Remington had been planning to move their operations out of Ilion long before the passage of any Safe Act.
The facilites of the Ilion plant are old, outdated, too costly to renovate. A new manufacturing plant, one more condusive to lean manufacturing, was needed. It could have been built in Ilion. "Reward and recognition" to Remington's most valuable asset, their employees. I guess they who contributed their fair share to the company's success don't matter.
Their lives don't matter. They can all be replaced (and forgotten).
It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Strictly Business

AOL

#39 Feb 16, 2014
The last sentence of my rant should have read:
"For Remington it's not personal - It's strictly business."

(I also want to apologize for all the spelling errors. I was in a hurry to catch the repeat of tonight's "Walking Dead".)
King Andrew of Albany

Utica, NY

#40 Feb 17, 2014
[QUOTE who="Strictly Bussiness"They can all be replaced (and forgotten).
[/QUOTE]

That pretty much can be said for all of NYS. I do have some excellent plans to expand welfare indefinitely though, any my drunken trashy girlfriend is wild in the sack when she's had a few too many.
New Hartford Cupcake Face

Whitesboro, NY

#41 Feb 17, 2014
Strictly Business wrote:
The last sentence of my rant should have read:
"For Remington it's not personal - It's strictly business."
(I also want to apologize for all the spelling errors. I was in a hurry to catch the repeat of tonight's "Walking Dead".)
Walking Dead? Oh that's the reality show about living in CNY
Strictly Business

AOL

#42 Feb 17, 2014
Every job at Ilion will be affected by the Alabama plant. Remington's ultimate plan is to close the Ilion plant. But the shutdown of Ilion won't be blamed on the state's gun policies or the state's "manufacturing climate." When that sad day comes (and it will come), Remington will use the same "blueprint" as others and place the blame directly on the UMW.
The UMW will have no chance because Remington will have Huntsville.

When it comes to unions, all corporate think alike:

Magna Powertrain (formerly Chrysler- New Process Gear) plant in Syracuse.
In 2002 the plant employed 4000. In 2007 it had 1400 UAW employees.
Manufacturer of 4x4 transfer cases for Ford, Chrysler and GM.
In 2007 Management announces "A New Partnership" with the UAW.
Over the next year, millions are invested in process upgrades and "state of the art" new equipment including 2 - multi-million dollar assembly lines dedicated to GM products.
Sales is roughly $29 Billion.
In 2009 Magna claims the plant is losing money and demands wage and benefit concessions from the UAW.
Plant owner Magna International Inc. said they will close the plant and move operations if the new contract was voted down.
The contract was voted down.
2009 - Magna announces the plan to close the Syracuse operations.
Operations are phased out over the course of 2010-2011.
In 2012, after 124 years, the former New Process Gear plant that was founded in 1888, closes it's doors.
managment

Ilion, NY

#44 Feb 17, 2014
Strictly Business wrote:
Every job at Ilion will be affected by the Alabama plant. Remington's ultimate plan is to close the Ilion plant. But the shutdown of Ilion won't be blamed on the state's gun policies or the state's "manufacturing climate." When that sad day comes (and it will come), Remington will use the same "blueprint" as others and place the blame directly on the UMW.
The UMW will have no chance because Remington will have Huntsville.
When it comes to unions, all corporate think alike:
Magna Powertrain (formerly Chrysler- New Process Gear) plant in Syracuse.
In 2002 the plant employed 4000. In 2007 it had 1400 UAW employees.
Manufacturer of 4x4 transfer cases for Ford, Chrysler and GM.
In 2007 Management announces "A New Partnership" with the UAW.
Over the next year, millions are invested in process upgrades and "state of the art" new equipment including 2 - multi-million dollar assembly lines dedicated to GM products.
Sales is roughly $29 Billion.
In 2009 Magna claims the plant is losing money and demands wage and benefit concessions from the UAW.
Plant owner Magna International Inc. said they will close the plant and move operations if the new contract was voted down.
The contract was voted down.
2009 - Magna announces the plan to close the Syracuse operations.
Operations are phased out over the course of 2010-2011.
In 2012, after 124 years, the former New Process Gear plant that was founded in 1888, closes it's doors.
You know nothing for sure, just speculation. Your wishfull doom and gloom is annoying. Which is what you want. There is no ultimate goal to move you bombthrowing specculator. when you know somthing for sure then we will listen, but you have no idea what your talking about.
Carl

Utica, NY

#46 Feb 17, 2014
Not posting gloom and doom, but let's list the Pro's and Con's for Remington.

Alabama's Pro's
1. Newer facility
2. More friendly gov't to deal with
3. Probably cheaper utility costs
4. Probably cheaper taxes
5. No Union to deal with

Alabama Con's
1. Have to train new workers from scratch
2. I can't think of anything else.

Ilion Pro's
1. Experienced work force

Ilion Con's
1. Look at all of Alabama's Pro's!

If Remington's intent was to keep Ilion open long-term they would be bringing assets here not putting them elsewhere.

Let's be realistic here rather than emotional and blaming Cuomo, the Unions or anybody else. Remington is leaving Ilion, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but they are leaving. New York has not been a manufacturing friendly state for over 50 years regardless of whether Dem's or Repub's having been sitting in Albany.
All one has to do is drive down Broad St. in Utica to see that! This was/is inevitable, the valley should be thankful that they have stayed this long.
Cliffy is oozing back

Gouverneur, NY

#47 Feb 17, 2014
Joke wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering you spelled not only your user name incorrectly and numerous grammatical and spelling errors in your reply...I'd say you're a typical line worker facing their job being eliminated.
Yep, it's been great, but, the moron Clifford fat rash is back...and watch him go now!!!!!!!
Cliffy is the Joke

Gouverneur, NY

#50 Feb 17, 2014
Joke wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to disappoint you whitesboro trash but I'm far from fat. I'm sorry the truth hurts you about your sh it region even becoming worse. Enjoy yourself. Anytime you want to look me up have at it.
By the way, have you recovered yet from your stomach surgery you fat fu ck? How's your fat wife? Have you accepted the fact yet that your slutty daughter is impreganated by a black man yet? Just curious why you avoid these questions. You know why you do? I know EXACTLY who you are you racist trash.
annnnnndddddd heeeeeeee's offfff!!!!! Cliffy the fat rashy basterd is baaaaaaack suuuuuucccckkkinng kaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!
its allover for this area

Ashburn, VA

#51 Feb 17, 2014
Cons

Remington will be going
DFAS will be going
Hospitals merging will let a bunch of people go
Other companies are letting people go

Pros
Stewart's
Dinosaur bbq
Possible nano plant??????????
Cretin

Gouverneur, NY

#53 Feb 17, 2014
Larry Flabbermouth Joshef wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you're STILL HERE and still thinking about men's organs.
Typical lowlife oooOtican. And these losers and genetic talking CNY turkeys wonder why the world laughs and passed them by! You go girl! Squeeel and cry but you put yourselves there.
Please seek the help you need.
oneida indian nation

Cortland, NY

#54 Feb 17, 2014
hey remington you didnt grease cuomo's palms thats why he screwed you over. give him a enevlope every otjher month with alot of hundreds and you will get what you want. we did it look at all we got.
sorry

Glenfield, NY

#57 Feb 17, 2014
I hope it stays in Ilion
George

Utica, NY

#58 Feb 18, 2014
It is what it is, guys.
buck buckle

Utica, NY

#59 Feb 18, 2014
Nick wrote:
Union official blames Remington Arms expansion in Alabama on NY Safe Act
What the heck does the safe act have to do with a company that has been given tons of money by the local and state gov in tax benefits and cheap energy rates. No the bottom line is greed that the company has that it thinks they can extract from another locality down south.They could have built this addition somewhere around here and got much great workers who were trained for that kind of skill. No the company made the move to the deep south now will get tobacco and cotton workers to make their guns.This is another failure of loca amatuerl politicians to pressure the corporate scum at Remington. Good job HANNA. If hanna was a democrat the OD would have his balls hanging on the front page. Sweep it under the rug will you .
magooobamacretin

New York, NY

#61 Feb 18, 2014
They don'ts pick no mo, obama feeds them cretin like your family.
Larry Handiman Josheph

Gary, IN

#62 Feb 18, 2014
buck buckle wrote:
<quoted text>What the heck does the safe act have to do with a company that has been given tons of money by the local and state gov in tax benefits and cheap energy rates. No the bottom line is greed that the company has that it thinks they can extract from another locality down south.They could have built this addition somewhere around here and got much great workers who were trained for that kind of skill. No the company made the move to the deep south now will get tobacco and cotton workers to make their guns.This is another failure of loca amatuerl politicians to pressure the corporate scum at Remington. Good job HANNA. If hanna was a democrat the OD would have his balls hanging on the front page. Sweep it under the rug will you .
Spilt milk what you retards owe Remington in grants and silly BS even the power is cheaper in AK with this new state-of-the-art deal. Spilt milk you haven't ever made money in a large project. Spilt milk there are politicians who respect the US Constitution and you NY phuckheads don't know one of them. You support phonies and bullies.

CNY is infested with public parasites and you people are too stupid to see it yet but you hear that rolling inbound thunder now.

Parties like the Oneida Co Democrats and their vindictive Larry Josheshh/Mitch Ford/Gweedo leech KKKlan. Gravy train ride is over girls. Hop off the nag.
Wonder

Syracuse, NY

#63 Feb 19, 2014
You wonder why companies make this decision. You have the governor and both senators banging the drum about gun control and how NY have no place in a society like NYS. Governor even went on to tell conservatives they have no place in NYS. Words have consequences , it looks like liberal NYS is not friendly to any business unless they are building a wind farm.
Joke

Syracuse, NY

#65 Feb 19, 2014
NY politicians are really funny they are for cutting defense unless that means cutting it in their back yard. Most would pimp their mom out if they could collect an extra vote. And we NY are just as guilty reelecting them . Tell me when the Senator race in NYS was competitive , not in 20 years. Look in the mirror and you will know the reason why NYS is in the shape it is.
Manoj Nampoothiry

Dallas, TX

#67 Feb 21, 2014
Expanded in Huntsville makes perfect sense for any manufacturing facility. A commercial airport and access for toll-free highways to move their product.
http://www.remington.com/en/pages/news-and-re...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who really owns America? 1 min bic 2
9-23-17 10 min bic 10
Utica City School Tax hike 14 min Investigate Now 71
How the Utica common council voted 16 min RICO Now 5
NFL/NBA Players vs Trump 19 min RICO Drain Swamp 101
Shawn Smith Arrested 23 min Lilugly 11
Kaitlyn Conley 2 31 min seriously 10
nh football coach 56 min badguy 21
Gonna sit back and watch the show! 10 hr Vaginatuccipassalia 19
Daaaar She Blows 15 hr The Utica Tribe 25