Alert: 40% of USA Now Living in Poverty

Posted in the Utica Forum

no one is safe

New Britain, CT

#1 Nov 8, 2013
Thank you global elite for destroying the middle class and creating the expanded poverty class. What's next, disease and famine?

Wake up people... It's happening! Nanotechnology will be the demise of humanity. Utica will have succeeded at infecting the world.
Delayed Penalty

Cortland, NY

#2 Nov 8, 2013
Yeah, infected it with Hockey Fever! Go Comets!
So what

Utica, NY

#3 Nov 8, 2013
Yeah, but, the banking industry is still doing ok.
Devil

Utica, NY

#4 Nov 9, 2013
80% of Utica living in poverty.
Truth

Utica, NY

#5 Nov 9, 2013
Poverty is one of those nebulus terms that means different things to different people.

To me poverty is:
I don't know where my next meal is coming from
I don't have enough money to buy clothes to wear
I don't have any place to sleep tonight
I can't feed my family

Poverty is not:
I have an apartment
I have food stamps
I have refrigerator with food in it
I have a cell phone
I have a pet
I have air conditioning
I have a car
I have a closet and dresser full of clothes
I have a television

There's a difference between want and need. We should all be aware of what the basic needs of people are and help to accomodate them. That doesn't mean we should have to fulfill anyone's idea of what a minmum lifestyle is.

Before assigning a percentage to the number of people living in poverty, take a look at what the writer's definition of poverty is.
no one is safe

New Britain, CT

#6 Nov 9, 2013
Truth wrote:
Poverty is one of those nebulus terms that means different things to different people.

To me poverty is:
I can't feed my family

Poverty is not:
I have an apartment
I have food stamps
I have a cell phone
I have a pet
I have air conditioning
I have a car
I have a television

There's a difference between want and need. We should all be aware of what the basic needs of people are and help to accomodate them. That doesn't mean we should have to fulfill anyone's idea of what a minmum lifestyle is.

Before assigning a percentage to the number of people living in poverty, take a look at what the writer's definition of poverty is.
Poverty as defined by the United Nations
Truth

Utica, NY

#8 Nov 10, 2013
no one is safe wrote:
<quoted text>
Poverty as defined by the United Nations
Under the UN definition those defined as living in poverty in the US are living like kings.

The UN definition of poverty is something like "the non-fulfillment of human rights". Food, clothing, shelter.

Cell phones, pets, air conditioning and cars are not part of that definition. I'm pretty sure.
subaru wrx

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Nov 10, 2013
poverty is under 10,000$ a year ssi bums get like 800 + like 100 food stamps and hud and heap and what ever else they can get. they make more then the working poor. like over 1300 for a single person to sit on their ass that's not poor/poverty. people that work at mcdonalds aare poor.they don't get no help.
gramma

Utica, NY

#11 Nov 11, 2013
subaru wrx wrote:
poverty is under 10,000$ a year ssi bums get like 800 + like 100 food stamps and hud and heap and what ever else they can get. they make more then the working poor. like over 1300 for a single person to sit on their ass that's not poor/poverty. people that work at mcdonalds aare poor.they don't get no help.
Maybe if you took an English class you could get a better job.
truth

New Hartford, NY

#12 Nov 11, 2013
granny

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Nov 11, 2013
gramma wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if you took an English class you could get a better job.
oh ya gramma like I cant spell. for your information English was my favorite subject and science im a drug therapists so don't worry about me granny I make good money. you must not have 2 dimes to rub 2gether. poor you! i see people who work and only make 600.so thanks for your concerns.
LMAO

Utica, NY

#14 Nov 11, 2013
Truth wrote:
To me poverty is:
I can't feed my family
Poverty is not:
I have an apartment
I have food stamps
I have a cell phone
I have a pet
I have air conditioning
I have a car
I have a television
So if you're not literally living in a cardboard box and digging from a dumpster for your next meal, you're not poor. Good to know. I will tell all the trailer park denizens and those living at the Rescue Mission about their new-found financial success.

Springdale, AR

#15 Nov 11, 2013
The New World Order will fix everything.
one who knows

New Hartford, NY

#16 Nov 11, 2013
The only way out of poverty is by educating yourself.
First, start with getting a HS Diploma.
Second, complete the paperwork for a Grant when enrolling in a Community College for a 2 year Degree.

This will enable you upon graduation to find a job that pays MORE than minimum wage. While earning your own paycheck, start taking eving courses at Utica College and further your education until you have enough credits to earn a BA Degree.

This will take approximately another 4 years to complete but you will end up with self respect, more intelligent than you are now, plus a good paying job and knowing you are capable to working for what you need.

All it takes is commitment and hard work - it can be done becuase I did it myself! No matter what happens in your personal life, no one can ever take your education away from you.

Being on Welfare for the rest of your life has absolutely no future but a dismal and loney life.
Hmmm

Merrimack, NH

#17 Nov 12, 2013
no one is safe wrote:
Thank you global elite for destroying the middle class and creating the expanded poverty class. What's next, disease and famine?
Wake up people... It's happening! Nanotechnology will be the demise of humanity. Utica will have succeeded at infecting the world.
and people in this country provide larger donations overall that benefit international poverty and concerns (including our own government). We need to take care of the people in this country first....
one who knows

New Hartford, NY

#18 Nov 12, 2013
subaru wrx wrote:
This is exactly why I never gave to the Community when they would come into my work place begging for money to help the "poor".

If you have a job, even at minimum wage, NONE of these social agencies will help you. If you stay on Welfare and don't even look for a job, ALL these non-profit organizations will bend over backwards to "help" and make your life so much better than the working poor that have to get up every day and go into work.

Our Social Services guidelines are so corrupt and unfair. Who helps the Senior Citizen who has worked all their lives and trying to exist on a bare Social Security Check and only entitled to $18 a MONTH for Food Stamps!!!!!!!
Just Saying

Utica, NY

#19 Nov 12, 2013
granny wrote:
<quoted text>oh ya gramma like I cant spell. for your information English was my favorite subject and science im a drug therapists so don't worry about me granny I make good money. you must not have 2 dimes to rub 2gether. poor you! i see people who work and only make 600.so thanks for your concerns.
I guess you were absent on the days they taught punctuation and capitalization.
Truth

Utica, NY

#20 Nov 15, 2013
LMAO wrote:
<quoted text>
So if you're not literally living in a cardboard box and digging from a dumpster for your next meal, you're not poor. Good to know. I will tell all the trailer park denizens and those living at the Rescue Mission about their new-found financial success.
What is your definition of poverty?

Do you think a person is poor if they have a cell phone, a pet, an apartment, clothes to wear and food stamps to buy food?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prisons In Whitesboro 7 min slapanut 14
Miss You 21 min Its Me 16
I hate Christmas 31 min Marie 6
Parole Officer Incident at Denny's 38 min Clarity 413
Rome Officer ONLY gets 6 months for rape 40 min Bill 13
bn MORE THEN A MILLION BABIES SEXUALLY ABUSED I... 51 min Clarity 45
breaking OBAMA SENDS BUCKET OF KFC TO AFRICA (Jun '14) 1 hr Diabetic Utican 27
East Utica in the 70's and 80's/ what do you re... (Jan '10) 1 hr Diabetic Utican 381
Serious car accident in Utica 1 hr Diabetic Utican 35

Flood Warning for Oneida County was issued at December 25 at 1:47PM EST

Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News