First Prev
of 5
Next Last
BS

Utica, NY

#85 Mar 8, 2013
I see dum people wrote:
Its busy with car accidents and medical calls. Put the money to good use on a city rescue and only call the fire trucks when they are needed. It cost a stupid amount of money to empty the barn every time someone skids into a guard rail or has chest pain.
I am sure when the day comes and you are having chest pains you will not say "don't send the fire truck that's down the street , just send an ambulance that's miles away"
viscount is a hero

Utica, NY

#86 Mar 8, 2013
better yet send kunkel.
BS

Utica, NY

#87 Mar 8, 2013
viscount is a hero wrote:
better yet send kunkel.
So you say, if your wife or mother or child, or you, are on the floor , not breathing, you would rather wait for someone, possibly miles away, to come help you rather than the fire truck down the street?
They

Utica, NY

#88 Mar 9, 2013
Not at all. Send whoever. Hell cops are trained at CPR. But call it what it is and be honest. Stop all the lies and deceit all in the name of keeping your career fire empire going.

Alot of us hearing Brooks has been told to generate more revenue. So he will stop at nothing to take every cent anywhere he can. Please stay in the city. That department and its people have eaten every available dollar form it. No they need more. It will never end. If you let them into our suburbs it will be a continual tax increase. You might as well write them a blank check. It will be unsustainable.

Level 3

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#89 Mar 9, 2013
BS wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure when the day comes and you are having chest pains you will not say "don't send the fire truck that's down the street , just send an ambulance that's miles away"
if it was a rescue instead i would feel much better. fire trucks cannot transport. Besides that I am an EMT and NYS firefighter. I kinda have a good idea what I am talking about. I would be happy to have a boy scout before a fire truck.8093

Level 3

Location hidden

#90 Mar 9, 2013
BS wrote:
<quoted text>
So you say, if your wife or mother or child, or you, are on the floor , not breathing, you would rather wait for someone, possibly miles away, to come help you rather than the fire truck down the street?
You have incredibly flawed logic. Fire department is not the Rescue department. They just use these calls to inflate their value to the city. meanwhile the city must contract with privately owned ambulance companies at a huge cost. A rescue if so much faster. No turnout gear needs to be put on, a ambulance can take sharp turns and fit in a drive way, an ambulance can transport, Paramedics can push drugs, and rescues are specialized in medicine, not just CPR/FA. Minor vehicle accidents and medical calls have no need for a hook and ladder, engine, tanker, brush fire truck, and a salvage unit. Eight guys in bunker boots are not needed for the majority of calls. Look at the call blotter. How many actual fires happen. How many times could the call be handled with out a paid department. There are plenty of wealthy communities in CNY with volunteer departments. They all do a fine job. Utica is broke and the Fire Department is doing the breaking. The welfare bunch would never do anything to help each other, that is why you actually have to pay people to do the logical things. You have become so selfish that the only way you can get assistance in a real emergency is to pay someone. Sad. Very sad. The FD is a bigger welfare department that the PD. At least the PD are doing something when they are on shift besides washing trucks and taking them to Hanniford to buy groceries. the city residents just take and take and take. It should streamline or just keep a small full time contingent to a volunteer department.
The Cretin

New Hartford, NY

#91 Mar 9, 2013
viscount likes tubsteak wrote:
why does this post turn into volunteer bashing?
You screwballs should take a look around you. Most of the thousands of people in this county are being protected by these volunteers you tards are bashing. This is the most pathetic display of ignorance in some time.
Through a successful Cretin identification strategy, it is clear that Cretin can not have anything remotely resembling a job. It takes just 15 minutes every 8 hours or so to find him posting on virtually every thread on Topix non-stop and spewing nothing but hate under always changing names and addresses - he's even registered now. He must truly be on his "'puter" or Obama phone 24/7. After all, he's..........Cretin!
Frank

Utica, NY

#92 Mar 9, 2013
I see dum people wrote:
<quoted text>
You have incredibly flawed logic. Fire department is not the Rescue department. They just use these calls to inflate their value to the city. meanwhile the city must contract with privately owned ambulance companies at a huge cost. A rescue if so much faster. No turnout gear needs to be put on, a ambulance can take sharp turns and fit in a drive way, an ambulance can transport, Paramedics can push drugs, and rescues are specialized in medicine, not just CPR/FA. Minor vehicle accidents and medical calls have no need for a hook and ladder, engine, tanker, brush fire truck, and a salvage unit. Eight guys in bunker boots are not needed for the majority of calls. Look at the call blotter. How many actual fires happen. How many times could the call be handled with out a paid department. There are plenty of wealthy communities in CNY with volunteer departments. They all do a fine job. Utica is broke and the Fire Department is doing the breaking. The welfare bunch would never do anything to help each other, that is why you actually have to pay people to do the logical things. You have become so selfish that the only way you can get assistance in a real emergency is to pay someone. Sad. Very sad. The FD is a bigger welfare department that the PD. At least the PD are doing something when they are on shift besides washing trucks and taking them to Hanniford to buy groceries. the city residents just take and take and take. It should streamline or just keep a small full time contingent to a volunteer department.
Finally. Another human out there!!!
Agree

Utica, NY

#93 Mar 9, 2013
Keep screwing our city wrote:
It's not only firefighters, but the police officers as well. If you have legitimate back problems, you would not be able to sit or stand for a prolonged period of time. Yet, I see that there is a so-called disabled police officer who frequently drives straight through to his home in Florida. If he can withstand that 24 hour + drive, then he should be able to withstand at least sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day. The city needs to hire private investigators to follow these 'disabled' people around. I'm sure in the long run it'll save a lot of money, because we would actually be getting services for our money! Shame on anyone who is on disabilitiy of any kind, if you are truly not sick or injured. I also think if you work in our city, then you should live in our city and contribute to your salary.
I totally agree with you. There are so many police and firefighters out on disability who should be working. They're just pussy's and are afraid to be out there on the streets. I know several of them who are on disability and have no problem doing their landscape, washing their cars, playing baseball, etc. They are cheating the system and the taxpayers.
ressy

Utica, NY

#94 Mar 9, 2013
BS wrote:
<quoted text>So you say, if your wife or mother or child, or you, are on the floor , not breathing, you would rather wait for someone, possibly miles away, to come help you rather than the fire truck down the street?
Well I don't see the point of the fire truck even coming to our houses, my father in law was having chest pain so we called 911 and the fire truck came quick and talked to my father in law, and asked him all kinds of questions and they did a really great job... But then the ambulance showed up and the guys on the fire truck stepped off to the side and the ambulance guys asked the same questions all over again. kinda like we started all over again. I thought time was of the essence in times like this? I didn't really see the point.

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#95 Mar 9, 2013
I see dum people wrote:
<quoted text>
The dispatchers know the nature when they take the call. They shouldn't send a ladder truck to a EMS call,or a brush truck to a high-rise building fire. That is common sense to anyone who has served in the fire service,paid or volunteer. I could see sending an Engine to an EMS call if it has personnel and equipment at least for basic life support. BUT only if all other appropriate equipment is out of service on other calls.

Level 3

Location hidden

#96 Mar 9, 2013
KY WELLER wrote:
<quoted text>The dispatchers know the nature when they take the call. They shouldn't send a ladder truck to a EMS call,or a brush truck to a high-rise building fire. That is common sense to anyone who has served in the fire service,paid or volunteer. I could see sending an Engine to an EMS call if it has personnel and equipment at least for basic life support. BUT only if all other appropriate equipment is out of service on other calls.
911 Dispatchers are not allowed to determine which assets are to respond. That is determined by the station SOP. I am sure you have seen stuff like this happen before.

There is no reason to fund these organizations as fire response at the current levels when the majority of the calls are not fire related. Budgets need to be based on historical statistics, not wishful thinking
Shell

Utica, NY

#97 Mar 10, 2013
It's a shell game at the Utica department of fire to keep the good times rolling. This is all out there for anyone to see if they look at it with any insight into what is exactly taking place.

The dept while staying paid shoulda been downsized or looked at other ways of revenue. Why couldn't they have hired just emts like they do in fdny ? City could still bill for transports. And the workers could all be part time with no benefits. They could also get hired on already a paramedic. The city now pays for these highly trained fire fightera to go to paramedic shool then they atuck them on an ambulance. How does this help put out fires? it doesnt. because everything done down there has to benefit the UFD and to keep everything afloat financially. From enhanced OT paychecks to retirements to union dues. It's all wrapped in together. All by a man who wants to be king of fire in Oneida county. With an ego like that I dunno know how he gets in and out of his city SUV.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Welfare Hockey In Utica 4 min yesitis 8
utica national (Jun '13) 18 min Jethro 655
Robert T Oliveira 19 min Arlenewhoreoliveira 23
Utica named top 10 cities to live in the world 28 min Large Bellied Utican 41
new rescue mission in Hartford 29 min Tommy 6
How Small Is Utica 32 min Large Bellied Utican 6
ND Warmack suspended for grades but....... 32 min explain 5
Jill WKTV 1 hr Buckley pool 46
Serious car accident in Utica 7 hr Big Hipped Utican 40
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:18 am PST

NBC Sports 8:18AM
Geno Smith: I'm part of the problem, I want to be part of the solution
Bleacher Report 4:00 PM
Beckham Definition of Special Talent
Bleacher Report 5:30 PM
Philadelphia Eagles vs. New York Giants: Complete Week 17 Preview for New York
Bleacher Report 7:03 PM
2014 NFL Draft Picks Who Already Look Like Home Runs
Bleacher Report 9:41 PM
Breaking Down Eagles' Game Plan vs. Giants
Bleacher Report10:49 PM
Jets vs. Dolphins: What Are Experts Saying About New York?
Bleacher Report12:04 AM
Jets' Week 17 Preview vs. Dolphins
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Buffalo Bills vs. New England Patriots: Complete Week 17 Preview for New England
Bleacher Report 5:04 AM
New York Jets vs. Miami Dolphins: Complete Week 17 Preview for Miami
NBC Sports 5:09 AM
Friday morning one-liners