Academy of Science Charter School ope...

Academy of Science Charter School opens in Utica

There are 35 comments on the WKTV story from Sep 5, 2013, titled Academy of Science Charter School opens in Utica. In it, WKTV reports that:

The Utica Academy of Science Charter School opened its doors to students for the first time Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKTV.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wondering

Great Barrington, MA

#1 Sep 5, 2013
Worst thing ever for Utica. Hope it fails.
Sour Grapes

Utica, NY

#2 Sep 5, 2013
Oh boy. Looks like someone didn't get what they wanted for Xmas!
Halfmoon Cookie Face

Albany, NY

#3 Sep 5, 2013
Academy of science in utica? Lol
teo

Syracuse, NY

#4 Sep 5, 2013
Checked out their website and it seems pretty cool.

Dress codes and behavior codes, oh my!

Not to mention that for a while the Trinity School became the repository for the dregs of the Utica School District.

Let's see how these 172 kids do in their studies compared to the last kids that went through there.

When Trinity was the holding cell for the USD the surrounding neighborhood got a bit rough for the kids as well as seeing a rise in petty theft overall.

I can't think of one reason why anyone would deny a chance for some youngster to possibly get a better education than he might get in an open public classroom.

Unless of course the teachers union might have a motive.....

Oxymorons

United States

#5 Sep 5, 2013
1st Utica "science" lesson: Bribes and rigging voter rolls.

Next it's "Breathing and simultaneous thinking" 101! Talk about the ultimate oxymorons!
hey dumb bell

Utica, NY

#6 Sep 6, 2013
teo wrote:
Checked out their website and it seems pretty cool.
Dress codes and behavior codes, oh my!
Not to mention that for a while the Trinity School became the repository for the dregs of the Utica School District.
Let's see how these 172 kids do in their studies compared to the last kids that went through there.
When Trinity was the holding cell for the USD the surr
ounding neighborhood got a bit rough for the kids as well as seeing a rise in petty theft overall.
I can't think of one reason why anyone would deny a chance for some youngster to possibly get a better education than he might get in an open public classroom.
Unless of course the teachers union might have a motive.....
it's HOLY Trinity School. NOT Trinity. Get it right. I used to go there.
Yes you did

United States

#7 Sep 6, 2013
hey dumb bell wrote:
<quoted text> it's HOLY Trinity School. NOT Trinity. Get it right. I used to go there.
Hence the lack of capitalization?
Yes you did

Gouverneur, NY

#8 Sep 6, 2013
Yes you did wrote:
<quoted text>Hence the lack of capitalization?
...and furthermore and therefore I suck male ccccrrraaaappppwholes!
Truth

Utica, NY

#9 Sep 6, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Worst thing ever for Utica. Hope it fails.
Are you a union teacher or administrator?

I ask because from what I see they are the only people hoping the charter school fails. They know that if it succeeds that it's a bad reflection on the union dominated, monopoly, government run public schools.

The object in education is to find the best formula for giving all children a good education isn't it? Shouldn't that be the main concern? Public school employees lash out against anything that shines light on their inadequacies like charter schools that compete with them for tax dollars and standard tests that gauge performance.
thedon

Utica, NY

#10 Sep 6, 2013
hey dumb bell wrote:
<quoted text> it's HOLY Trinity School. NOT Trinity. Get it right. I used to go there.
Hope it's better now than it was then. Lousy teachers, physical abuse, patronage, lies, lies, lies, and more lies, ungodly. Heck, it was the Polish version of the UCSD. Great place--glad it's dead and buried.
teo

United States

#11 Sep 6, 2013
Hey Dumb Bell,

Regardless whether it was "Holy" or not doesn't matter at all to me.

If the charter school succeeds it could be the beginning of a total overhaul of the union controlled school system. The way the teachers whine about charter schools tells me that charter schools may be a good alternative to the union controlled system.

And if the charter school fails so be it. Some one will eventually come up with an alternative to the current failing school system.

Khan Academy anyone?
fuku

Utica, NY

#12 Sep 6, 2013
teo wrote:
Hey Dumb Bell,
Regardless whether it was "Holy" or not doesn't matter at all to me.
If the charter school succeeds it could be the beginning of a total overhaul of the union controlled school system. The way the teachers whine about charter schools tells me that charter schools may be a good alternative to the union controlled system.
And if the charter school fails so be it. Some one will eventually come up with an alternative to the current failing school system.
Khan Academy anyone?
Watch out who you call names at, pops. Everyone has a right to post their opinion whether it interest YOU or not. So shut the hell up and clean out your filthy mouth, moron.
SUNY Coupon degree

United States

#13 Sep 6, 2013
hey dumb bell wrote:
That's why you can't find your capitals? Go clip your coupons and make your stupid sex pervert jokes. That's all a Utican is worth!
Truth

Herkimer, NY

#14 Sep 7, 2013
thedon wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope it's better now than it was then. Lousy teachers, physical abuse, patronage, lies, lies, lies, and more lies, ungodly. Heck, it was the Polish version of the UCSD. Great place--glad it's dead and buried.
The former Holy Trinity School and the new charter school have nothing to do with one another with the exception being that both were/are schools and they were/are in the same location. The space is leased to the charter school by the church. That's it. There is no basis for comparing the two.

Do you know what a cahrter school is?
gotohades

Utica, NY

#15 Sep 7, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The former Holy Trinity School and the new charter school have nothing to do with one another with the exception being that both were/are schools and they were/are in the same location. The space is leased to the charter school by the church. That's it. There is no basis for comparing the two.
Do you know what a cahrter school is?
Do you know the meaning of the word manners? YOU are the rudest, mean-spirited SOB that posts on this site. You have delusions of grandeur thinking that you know absolutely everything about everything. Whether the two schools are related or not is of no concern. The poster had a right to reminisce whether you approve or not. There are no rules on this site except for minimal civility which you never uphold . You should be banned. If you don't like what people post, too bad--keep your miserable temperament to yourself, you old goat.
Just sayin

United States

#16 Sep 7, 2013
Well, as you can see the debate about "Acedemy of Science" post has taken the invariable Utica turn for the worse! You're all screwed bigtime and hopeless.
Truth

Utica, NY

#17 Sep 7, 2013
gotohades wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know the meaning of the word manners? YOU are the rudest, mean-spirited SOB that posts on this site. You have delusions of grandeur thinking that you know absolutely everything about everything. Whether the two schools are related or not is of no concern. The poster had a right to reminisce whether you approve or not. There are no rules on this site except for minimal civility which you never uphold . You should be banned. If you don't like what people post, too bad--keep your miserable temperament to yourself, you old goat.
The poster I responded to said this:
"Hope it's better now than it was then."
That is called a comparison. Other than both being schools and sharing a location, they are completely different entities. There is no basis for comparison.

I am neither mean spirited nor do I have delusions of grandeur. I appreciate the opinions of others but only when they have at least some basis in fact. You are entitled to your opinion and I appreciate the critique whether I agree or not.

Why not spend your energies scolding those who post regularly defaming this person or that. Or, how about the constant race-baiting hate speech about blacks? Isn't that just a tad more disgusting that what I post.

I have to add this too. There are at least three different posters using the name Truth on a regular basis. You did know that didn't you?
Truth

Herkimer, NY

#18 Sep 7, 2013
Just sayin wrote:
Well, as you can see the debate about "Acedemy of Science" post has taken the invariable Utica turn for the worse! You're all screwed bigtime and hopeless.
I agree with you. I didn't write the above. I saw the name Truth. There are more than one poster called Truth.
Back to the Utica Charter School debate. I hope they suceed and the kids who go there get a good education. Education is everything today. I heard someone recently say that there is no faster way to get on the road to poverty than to quit school. I agree with that and I hope the new school will help to keep more kids in school.
I like the idea of the charter school because I think it makes for competition. That helps the kids because the schools will have to perform better or risk losing funds. If the new school is more succesful that the tradional public schools then they will expand and that will draw even more money away from the traditional public schools. Am I wrong?
agree

Allston, MA

#19 Sep 7, 2013
there willbe more students to enroll as long as ucsd keeps sacrificing the district for the sake of just a few. th better schools get class sizes above 33 while the school thati don't perform get 17 to 20. shouldn't an education be equal? seems kind of inequitable for those parents in the better schools to have their children suffer while those schools who do not perform get everything handed to them. lets go back top neighborhood schools if this is karams pkan to improve the disruct
agree

Allston, MA

#20 Sep 7, 2013
save the grammar, spelling comments. typing on a smartphone with auto-correct sucks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AFRICA land of abuse starving no nano 24 min Mario vertucci 1
Love Africa where they rape babies all day 30 min Mario vertucci 1
Labella 30 min Hair 3
mario PASS TELL NHPD SHE WILL SUE BECAUSE SHE I... 30 min Kayliegh TAZZ Hanna 7
APPLE bypasses Utica nano, builds $1.3B in IOWA! 31 min Mario vertucci 2
see MARIO PASS VERTUCCI CRY ALL DAY WITH HER FA... 31 min Kayliegh TAZZ Hanna 32
Dave Smith best giving anal sex real small 32 min Mario vertucci 5

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages