AHL Hockey in Utica?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joker

Flushing, NY

#22 Jan 20, 2010
Two Tree wrote:
<quoted text> While all this may have validity I do recall over and over that attendance was always poor. Why will that change regardless of who owns the team?
Why do you have to think it can't change? I mean the negativity is just a killer. Hockey has a better chance here professionally than baseball. Face it, baseball will never come back without a new stadium and that will never happen. Hockey on the other hand is VERY capable of coming back.
hockey fan

New York, NY

#23 Jan 22, 2010
Fan wrote:
It's hard to believe that at one point in time this city actually had an AHL team (Devils). It was just 15 years ago that they left. I know they wern't the best product on ice or had huge fan turn outs, but they did last for 7 years. Makes one wonder how long an AHL team (or any league) would last these days in this awesome city...2 years? one? one game?
hope that last
Joker

Flushing, NY

#24 Jan 22, 2010
Here is a funny one for you. The River Rats in Albany are reported to be SOLD to the owners of the Charlotte Checkers (ECHL) and to be moved to Charolette after this season. ECHL FRANCHISE OPPORTUNITY RIGHT THERE. River Rats out, Utica the ECHL team in
ghtyefr

Syracuse, NY

#25 Jan 23, 2010
i will have to agree, nobody had smart busniess sence that ran a team in utica. The Devils pulled out of Utica because nobody supported them. I just looked at Ahl attendance and the Devils farm team in Lowell averages 2,049 a game. I went to a River Rats game in October and it looked like a crowd at a high school game probably 1,1oo people. Im sure Utica could support a pro hockey team but last I remember the politicians didn't want a team because it would take away from Utica College. Just sad CNY is a hockey hot bed you dont have to look far to see the talent that has come from our area Nick palmieri of clinton (nj devils) steve zalewski of new hartford (san jose) his younger brother has a promissing career also mark mowers, rob esch Bring pro hockey back to Utica
boomer

Utica, NY

#26 Sep 4, 2010
Duh wrote:
Hockey failed in Utica?
The Bulldogs came to Utica because they thought they wouldn't have to pay Michigan debts in NY.
The Blizzard left because Jeff Croop got divorced after Jaques Mailhot was bangin his wife in the office. Croop moved to NC, vowed never to pay child support, and was arrested in Glens Falls for failure to pay child support 2 years later.
Jacques Tompkins is STILL being investigated for embezzlement.
Yeah, hockey fails in Utica. It isn't the fact that the owners are scumbags who ALL were arrested.
I go to UC games, but man, some of those guys can hardly skate.
Your name says it all DUH your an ass who has probably never been on skates . these kids playing for UC work their asses off you wouldnt know a true skater if it came up and crosschecked you in the back of your shit filled head , you dolt .
Fat Tony Salerno

Brockport, NY

#27 Sep 4, 2010
Batavia will most likely lose their NYP league team after this year (poor attendance). Maybe Utica could bring back the Blue Sox???
central

United States

#28 Oct 25, 2010
For God sake. Enjoy what you have! The Aud looks great, the population that used to ripoff the cars has been dispersed, and you have great college hockey to watch. Get behind UC and think about what it might become someday. Who knows, maybe Division I. I go to Cornell games, believe me, given the choice between Crunch / Sens & cornell, I choice college hockey.
ahl hockey

Rome, NY

#29 Oct 25, 2010
would love to get hockey back to utica. we would buy 5 season tickets.. my hubby an i used to go to all the devils home games.. growing up i used to go to the comets an stars games.. would love to take our daughters to the games!
jessie

Rome, NY

#30 Oct 25, 2010
central wrote:
For God sake. Enjoy what you have! The Aud looks great, the population that used to ripoff the cars has been dispersed, and you have great college hockey to watch. Get behind UC and think about what it might become someday. Who knows, maybe Division I. I go to Cornell games, believe me, given the choice between Crunch / Sens & cornell, I choice college hockey.
How can Utica ever get division 1 ? Cornell move to Utica ? Don't think so. Utica college is too small for D1. AHL would be great - you never know. AHL is in Syracuse,Roch,Bing,Glens Falls.Utica would be a good fitand would draw from these other NY cities.
There is hockey

Middleville, NY

#31 Oct 25, 2010
in Rome. The Rome Frenzy of the FHL. Brand new team.

http://theromefrenzy.com/
onetimeUtican

Greenwood, IN

#32 Feb 28, 2011
There is hockey,
I scratch my head at the fact that the Rome Frenzy, who average 274 fans a game, in a league that is as questionable as the Jim Cashman venture can be really called hockey. If the league had any validity, it would be playing in the Aud.
Also, I laugh at how people used to say 'we are not going to a game down there, with that dangerous neighborhood", dudes, try living in a REAL city. Most sports venues are in areas less than safe, but everyone still goes and gets out alive. From what I understand most leagues refuse to return to Utica due to questionable ownerships. I would love to see my old hometown get pro hockey back but let's face it, politics are the major stumbling block to bring back the game.
bad times in utica

Utica, NY

#33 Apr 6, 2014
To many doubting Thomases !
Ray

Utica, NY

#34 Apr 6, 2014
AHL is alive and thriving in Utica !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nano was a lie. 4 hr nanotonowhere 3
Fitness Mill 5 hr Has been 9
Dominican barbers 5 hr Fat Tony Salerno 4
Gordon's Tap Room 5 hr Gee 28
Clifford Fuel 6 hr fran 31
African MOTHERBOARD PARTS ZERO ZERO ZERO WORKST... 6 hr Real Despair 85
the mASSena REGGIN LYING APE OBAMA FEED WOMEN 7 hr Real Despair 13
Home and Car Robberies 7 hr shedodge 28
Whitesboro cops and teachers who cheat 9 hr Italiano 20
Francos, North Utica (Jun '11) 16 hr michelle 88