AHL Hockey in Utica?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fan

New Hartford, NY

#1 Apr 6, 2009
It's hard to believe that at one point in time this city actually had an AHL team (Devils). It was just 15 years ago that they left. I know they wern't the best product on ice or had huge fan turn outs, but they did last for 7 years. Makes one wonder how long an AHL team (or any league) would last these days in this awesome city...2 years? one? one game?
brian gionta

Oneida, NY

#2 Apr 6, 2009
should have mike tesak coach a new AHL team in utica. After all he was coach of the year with a 3 and 17 record
NY Observer

Rome, NY

#3 Apr 6, 2009
Fan wrote:
It's hard to believe that at one point in time this city actually had an AHL team (Devils). It was just 15 years ago that they left. I know they wern't the best product on ice or had huge fan turn outs, but they did last for 7 years. Makes one wonder how long an AHL team (or any league) would last these days in this awesome city...2 years? one? one game?
Kiss the idea of AHL in Utica goodbye! Perhaps focus on getting an ECHL, IHL or EPHL team into the Aud. NEHL was a complete joke, although the Ice Cats and their rivals the New England Stars were good sports entertainment whenever they played each other in Utica.

The cost of cheap seats at Syracuse Crunch (AHL) games is $13 advance sale,$15 to $16 on game day, and if you order tix via Ticketmaster, an additional $13.50 for handling! Try THAT in Utica!

Stick to UC Pioneers hockey at $5.00 a ticket and free parking. Trust me!

Since: Oct 08

New York, NY

#4 Apr 6, 2009
NY Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Kiss the idea of AHL in Utica goodbye! Perhaps focus on getting an ECHL, IHL or EPHL team into the Aud. NEHL was a complete joke, although the Ice Cats and their rivals the New England Stars were good sports entertainment whenever they played each other in Utica.
The cost of cheap seats at Syracuse Crunch (AHL) games is $13 advance sale,$15 to $16 on game day, and if you order tix via Ticketmaster, an additional $13.50 for handling! Try THAT in Utica!
Lets face it, pro hockey and utica is not a good match. Lets keep UC hockey here and live with it.
Fan

New Hartford, NY

#5 Apr 7, 2009
NY Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I can't argue with that...I guess the same arguement can be made for profesional baseball as well in Utica...
Section 204 Legend

Oneida, NY

#6 Apr 7, 2009
I kinda' think that we all agree about the near 0% chances we have to haul in big time hockey here ever again...But it was great dancing once, then never dancing at all!!! And furthermore, you can always remember where the greatest goalie of all time, or eventually will be-(Martin Brodeur) started his pro career, right here at the AUD, baby!!! Those were some of the best times of my life, as far as watching up-and-coming stars in the hockey world goes...We still have something special here with the UC games as it is really good hockey AND YOU CAN DRINK BEER AT THE GAMES!!! There are VERY few NCAA venues that allow booze consumption on premise during events...Look it up...We are indeed fortunate in that respect...Amen
NY Observer

Rome, NY

#7 Apr 9, 2009
spouting off wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets face it, pro hockey and utica is not a good match. Lets keep UC hockey here and live with it.
Mega-dittoes to that, pal! I agree. The hockey these young adults play at the Aud is outstanding. It's not the pro's, but who knows who is up in those stands scouting? Matt Meacham from Cortland State made it to the pro's, and I'm sure others have made it, too, although at the A-league level. Still, how many guys ever make it to A-league?
phil

Oneida, NY

#8 Apr 20, 2009
is there any serious talk about the AHL coming back to Utica ?
Yes

Raleigh, NC

#9 Apr 21, 2009
phil wrote:
is there any serious talk about the AHL coming back to Utica ?
Maybe if they get off the Thruway for gas in North Utica when travelling between Albany and Syracuse.
Joker

New York, NY

#10 Jan 18, 2010
Yes wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if they get off the Thruway for gas in North Utica when travelling between Albany and Syracuse.
Haha i found that joke hilarious. I think Glens Falls should move to Utica after this year. Give each area a try and see who does better drawing fans (on a ratio of course since both arenas aren't equal in seat size)
face reality

Rome, NY

#11 Jan 18, 2010
Joker wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha i found that joke hilarious. I think Glens Falls should move to Utica after this year. Give each area a try and see who does better drawing fans (on a ratio of course since both arenas aren't equal in seat size)
Hmmm.....The Mohawk Valley Phantoms.....

Better dig out the "Prowler/Ice bandit" costume out of the mothballs, folks! Oh, and buy Chickenman a new chicken, too!

Awww don't we wish? Maybe support the new Rome team, the "Frenzy" as well as the Pioneers. That's as good as it'll get, folks.
Joker

New York, NY

#12 Jan 18, 2010
Wow Chickenman.....i remember him. Hope he is still alive.
Uticans never change

New York, NY

#13 Jan 19, 2010
Why is it that Uticans are so negative.
Just the thought of another AHL team in Utica should at least get the Utica College fan base excited.
UC hockey is a fun night out. The AHL level would be even better.
Support the idea, even if it's an idea.
If investors read all of the negativity here, why would they chose to come here?
Go ahead, complain Uticans with no vision for any type of development in our city and then sit at the keyboard and complain.
face reality

Clinton, NY

#14 Jan 19, 2010
Joker wrote:
Wow Chickenman.....i remember him. Hope he is still alive.
Trust me, he still is. His name is Earl Kellogg, and when he's not wearing the chicken mask, he is one of the nicest people you'll ever want to meet.

Never, ever forget Section 112 near the near corner, the "chicken coop"!!!
Two Tree

Jamesville, NY

#15 Jan 19, 2010
Uticans never change wrote:
Why is it that Uticans are so negative.
Not negative Jackass when it has failed every time it's been tried in the past 30 years. How much optimism do you need to read the writing on the wall? There is a hard core fan base here of about 50 people (of which I am guessing you are one) who keep dreaming about hockey here but that is never enough to make it work. So they sit at Tiny's and pine for the old days when they could (literally in some cases) rub asses with the players. Move on people, nothing to see here. Again.
Two Tree

Jamesville, NY

#16 Jan 19, 2010
spouting off wrote:
<quoted text>
That's exactly right.
Joker

Flushing, NY

#17 Jan 20, 2010
Still think its possible.
Blues

Jamesville, NY

#18 Jan 20, 2010
UC Hockey is the lowest calibur of hockey there is. Syracuse will have a team next year!!

Would much rather see minor league hockey.
Joker

Flushing, NY

#19 Jan 20, 2010
why does everyone care about Syracuse University getting a hockey team?? Everyone acts like hockey doesn't currently occur anywhere around Utica and Syracuse.
Two Tree

Jamesville, NY

#21 Jan 20, 2010
Duh wrote:
Hockey failed in Utica?
The Bulldogs came to Utica because they thought they wouldn't have to pay Michigan debts in NY.
The Blizzard left because Jeff Croop got divorced after Jaques Mailhot was bangin his wife in the office. Croop moved to NC, vowed never to pay child support, and was arrested in Glens Falls for failure to pay child support 2 years later.
Jacques Tompkins is STILL being investigated for embezzlement.
Yeah, hockey fails in Utica. It isn't the fact that the owners are scumbags who ALL were arrested.
I go to UC games, but man, some of those guys can hardly skate.
While all this may have validity I do recall over and over that attendance was always poor. Why will that change regardless of who owns the team?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The reverend James Turturro? 1 hr Leather Jerry 8
What was the department store across from zebbs... 2 hr Keithy 9
Brinkerhoff tavern 3 hr Keithy 4
Kaitlyn M. Conley, Murder!!! 3 hr frankie 19
I am not gay but $20 is $20 3 hr Angel 3
new downtown hospital 370 beds are you kidding me? 3 hr Lame politicians 88
Twin Ponds shoot em up 3 hr SWF 40
One Term Tenney 3 hr For sure 91
Adult world 3 hr Word up 17
Utica Teachers that Cheat #10 14 hr The real giovanni 25