utica budget there will be pain...for the taxpayer

Posted in the Utica Forum

spletch

Rome, NY

#1 Feb 1, 2013
The OD online has a headline "Utica Budget, There Will be Pain". However, the only pain is to the rear end of the last few taxpayers. The article tells how department heads. etc. need more money for pay increases and benefits and that they will have to find things to cut that do not relate to the pay/benefits increase. They have already accepted the fact that the UFD/UPD may continue their destruction of the city budget. I just hope the greedy b*stards led by Brooks/Williams do not get all the money the city has before the state control boards move in.
Taxpayer

Syracuse, NY

#2 Feb 1, 2013
We've been talking about this since the Roefaro contracts where Santafaro gave away the house and sold out taxpayers for his childhoods friends ambitions to become wealthy off Utica's, what's left of them taxpayers. He set up these lucrative contracts, perks and benefits straight up till 2015 even though he quit before he had to face the piper putting on Palmieri's plate whose hands are tied. But you have to make the unions an ultimatum, renogotiate or you lose the guys, period. This city will have to make due with less pure and simple. Enough is enough. We know the game and we've heard it all before but before anything is going to change it has to start with public safety and the realization that Riefaro did a very bad and foolisn thing, duping taxpayers and spending all the cities reserve and present the dilemma of unsustainable contracts, benefits and perks.
what we all knew

Syracuse, NY

#3 Feb 1, 2013
UTICA — Utica’s next budget will be tough, the question is just how tough.
As Mayor Robert Palmieri, department heads, unions and the Common Council gear up for what is acknowledged as a potentially brutal and bruising budget, the city’s department heads’ estimates show that without some significant cutting, the city could face a double-digit tax increase.
The estimates were released to Common Council members Thursday, a step that has not been done in recent years.
This is just the starting point, but without any decreases from the estimates or an increase in revenue, the city would have a $67.1 million budget, an increase of $3.15 million, which works out to a property tax increase of 15.79 percent.

“We really won’t know until we have a budget in front of us,” said Councilman Frank Meola, D-at-large.“We have to see what’s cut, what’s increased. Hopefully, we can keep services at the level people are used to.”
Most of the city’s departments have requested a budget increase, many of them related to higher health care and pensions costs. Others are more wish-list ideas.
Some increases — such as health care and pension costs and contractually obligated salary increases — are unavoidable.
“These are what the departments feel they need to run their budget,” Budget Director Peter Fiorillo said.
Fiorillo did not have the exact amount the city’s revenue increased this year but said it was up, and that will help offset any potential tax increase.
As Mayor Robert Palmieri, department heads, unions and the Common Council gear up for what is acknowledged as a potentially brutal and bruising budget, the city’s department heads’ estimates show that without some significant cutting, the city could face a double-digit tax increase.

This is just the starting point, but without any decreases from the estimates or an increase in revenue, the city would have a $67.1 million budget, an increase of $3.15 million, which works out to a property tax increase of 15.79 percent.
Common Council members and the mayor stressed the numbers were far from final and that a long process was ahead.
Palmieri will submit his 2013-14 budget to the city’s Board of Estimate and Apportionment, likely on Feb. 20.
“We’re looking at a very difficult year,” he said.“I’m going to keep taxes as low as possible and keep services at the level people require. There is no question there will be pain.”
Once the board approves it, the Common Council will get its chance to make adjustments and the public will have its opportunity to voice its opinion. The final budget is due by March 31.
“We really won’t know until we have a budget in front of us,” said Councilman Frank Meola, D-at-large.“We have to see what’s cut, what’s increased. Hopefully, we can keep services at the level people are used to.”
Most of the city’s departments have requested a budget increase, many of them related to higher health care and pensions costs. Others are more wish-list ideas.
Some increases — such as health care and pension costs and contractually obligated salary increases — are unavoidable.
“These are what the departments feel they need to run their budget,” Budget Director Peter Fiorillo said.
Fiorillo did not have the exact amount the city’s revenue increased this year but said it was up, and that will help offset any potential tax increase.
The city needs to look at a worst-case scenario and go from there, said Councilman Frank Vescera, D-1.
“This is the start of the process,” he said.“We also need to decide whether to waive the 2 percent cap rule.”
Vescera said he will not vote to pass a local law overriding the state’s tax cap. Vescera and Councilman James Zecca, D-at-large, were the only two councilors to vote against the law last year.
Without that override, the city could be faced with some difficult decisions, Meola said.
“Of course, there are going to be positions that aren’t filled,” he said.
leave while you can

Oneida, NY

#4 Feb 1, 2013
Get out of that hole while you can. I worked out there for years and realized it was a dump, and left. I can't stand that place.
wutq

Utica, NY

#5 Feb 2, 2013
It is like a circus that never leaves and plays the same show every day with a differeng ring leader with the same bs but saying it in a differnet way.
Ronnie

Clinton, NY

#6 Feb 2, 2013
I am so frigging glad I sold my rental property 3 years ago. The writing was SO on the wall. Probably should have done it sooner but regardless, the road they are on is CLEARLY not sustainable - not even close.
Tim

Utica, NY

#7 Feb 2, 2013
Thought they were going to start working on this budget day 1 of 2012?

It's one year later and we are doing and saying the same things all over again?

Really?

My taxes have DOUBLED over the past 8 years. Unfortunately, my income has not. How do we continue to pay more when we are earning less?

Wish I was a Public Safety employee!!! I'd be able to afford these increases if I were earning $75,000+.

Maybe Public Safety employees living outside of the city should pay for increases in Healthcare benefits?
Stupid Taxpayers

Kirkville, NY

#8 Feb 2, 2013
As Nixon use to say"Sock it to Them"! Ha Ha Ha!
what we all knew

Syracuse, NY

#9 Feb 2, 2013
Isn't ironic it's groundhogs day?
See ya

Syracuse, NY

#10 Feb 2, 2013
Nano tech job fair in Albany today.
Getting Banged

Kirkville, NY

#11 Feb 2, 2013
it looks like another Screw Job! Lets just hope that they don't go too hard on us....
city

West Hartford, CT

#12 Feb 2, 2013
They didn't lay off last year .maybe they will this year .
daves brotherhood

Syracuse, NY

#14 Feb 2, 2013
The only ones that are going to feel any pain is the taxpayer assholes after public safety gets done with them once again led by King Roefaros contracts that stay in plce until 2015. Roefaro just passed the torch to Palmieri and the untouchables brotherhoods who make 3 times as much as any middle class taxpayer. We should have all became bloodsuckers back in the day if we only knew there would be a mayor like Roefaro who was going to buy a a couple houses with taxpayers money.
Testa

New Hartford, NY

#15 Feb 2, 2013
Don't worry Ms. Testa told Bill Keeler it will only be a smal icrease of another 15 to 20 percent, she needs to keep her husbands over time pay up. Who ever was stupid enough to put the wife of a fireman on th council? Do you think she will vote to cuts costs in the fire department? DiNapoli said the percentage of Utica's budget for public safety is way over the normal of other Cities. The fire department has to take pay and benefit cuts, do you think she is going to vote for that?
Just start handing your paycheck to any public safety employee you see, that is where the money goes any way.
Nero

Utica, NY

#16 Feb 2, 2013
The cc consits of a bunch of illiterate half wits who are lucky if they can even put a sentence together with out using the word uh, or duh! If Meola & the rest had half a brain they'd be dangerous. And they're going to fix Utica? Ha! Utica's name should be changed to Dogpatch.
Pain

Utica, NY

#17 Feb 2, 2013
Hey Mayor Rob "Clubber Lang" Palmieri what's your prediction for the upcoming city budget?
friends and family plans

Syracuse, NY

#18 Feb 2, 2013
Nero wrote:
The cc consits of a bunch of illiterate half wits who are lucky if they can even put a sentence together with out using the word uh, or duh! If Meola & the rest had half a brain they'd be dangerous. And they're going to fix Utica? Ha! Utica's name should be changed to Dogpatch.
The buck stops with the Mayor. The council cuts positions and after the budget passes the Mayors restore the positions, give promotions, free benefits, raises, and reinstate the perks every year. Look when the council voted the safre grants down. Roefaro vetoed the common coucil and rammed them down our throats.
friends and family plans

Syracuse, NY

#19 Feb 3, 2013
lay them all off or stop paying the lucrative outragous demands.
Joe

AOL

#20 Feb 3, 2013
Show us the city is as broke as Palmieri tells us.Give up your new car --Palmieri

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Instill cNt find Frguson on a map though NOT U... 5 min looooool 5
Serious car accident in Utica 20 min POOR DAVE 26
Leominster, MA Needs Our Help With DEGRADED RO... 22 min POOR DAVE 2
bn MORE THEN A MILLION BABIES SEXUALLY ABUSED I... 25 min POOR DAVE 40
Bagel Grove 26 min Shocked 12
Wheres Frguson 28 min Feed Me More Utican 6
Tazz Hanna & UPD obsession 29 min i know 7
Jill WKTV 57 min eyegore 44
Parole Officer Incident at Denny's 1 hr Feed Me More Utican 395
Utica Dating