Mayor Lies To North Utica Residents a...

Mayor Lies To North Utica Residents at Public Meeting

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
duke

Herkimer, NY

#1 Feb 25, 2013
Mayor confuses city residents at N. Utica Budget Meeting
Mayor Palmieri caused a bit of confusion at the City of Utica Budget Meeting last night at The North Utica Senior Center. In what was supposed to be a budget meeting, the mayor and his staff once again presented his Downtown Utica Gennessee Street Corridor and Parking plan. After a lengthy presentation similar to the three scheduled downtown proposal meetings that have taken place previously, the mayor did a quick presentation on his proposed 2013/2014 budget.

Several city residents asked questions about the downtown plan. One woman wanted to know about how the one lane road diet will affect emergency vehicles. Fire Chief Russell Brooks and Police Chief Mark Williams assured us that public safety will not be affected. Chief Williams cited a study done by his department which concluded that traffic accidents went down 31 % because of construction of the roundabout, and suggested that traffic accidents would be reduced if two lanes of traffic were taken out of our downtown.

There was a question of residency for city employees. The mayor questioned the legality of the city referendum which required this. The citizens of Utica voted overwelmingly to require that all city employees live within the city. The mayor said he would not enforce this because it is being contested in court. The city residency requirement should be enforced. Let those that oppose it contest it in court if they want, and if the courts rule against the citizens of Utica, then the employees who want to move out of the city can.

City taxpayers were also confused when the mayor said " I am the first mayor that has not hired one person. I even layed off some people who worked on my campaign." The mayor hired his Chief of Staff, a retired State worker, Jim Murphy. He also hired the brother of a large campaign donor, Butch Ventura. Someone has to speak for the city residents who are unaware of how their government is run. Clearly we do not always get correct information from those whom we elect to represent us. One resident asked about the cars that city employees take home. The mayor said he has put a stop to that. He said that only Chief Brooks and Chief Williams have take home cars. The City of Utica Parks Department has a supervisor, Fred Sperry, that takes his city vehicle home outside city limits.

But perhaps the most confusing discussion was about the placing of sex offenders in North Utica hotels by The Oneida County Department of Social Services. Half the residents in attendance were there to find out why this is being done and what they could do about it. Our confusion as to why was never explained, and the mayor's staff appeared to tell us that there was nothing we could do about it. One resident asked Chief Williams if it was legal to get 200 people with signs to protest in front of these hotels, and if they would be safe from the sexual predators while they protest. What was not confusing is that the Chief said we have a right to assemble, and that such an assembly would be assured police protection from anyone that did not like it.

Chief Brooks' position on the matter was cristal clear. He lives in North Utica and said that his wife will not go to the Price Chopper in North Utica alone for fear of being accosted by these sexual predators. According to Chief Brooks " If they were placed next to the Yanandosis they would not be there that long!"
Bondsman

New Hartford, NY

#2 Feb 25, 2013
First Mayor who has not hired one person? True.
He hired two in Urban Renewal agency. One of them Brindisi, if l remember right.
Allen

Greig, NY

#3 Feb 26, 2013
Bondsman wrote:
He hired two in Urban Renewal agency. One of them Brindisi, if l remember right.
The people of Utica NY do not care, 4 people showed up for his town hall meeting, When 30 to 100 people show up then that shows pride in the City
Hard On The Eyes

Utica, NY

#4 Feb 26, 2013
duke wrote:
Chief Brooks' position on the matter was cristal clear. He lives in North Utica and said that his wife will not go to the Price Chopper in North Utica alone for fear of being accosted by these sexual predators. According to Chief Brooks " If they were placed next to the Yanandosis they would not be there that long!"
Chief Brooks I've seen your wife.....you have nothing to worry about, even sex offenders have standards!
Jack

Utica, NY

#5 Feb 26, 2013
Palmerie=Biggest liar ever.
Saddam Hussein

Oneonta, NY

#6 Feb 26, 2013
Why doesn't the Mayor let them stay in his City of Utica owned Ford Taurus that he parks in His driveway blocking the sidewalk. Hey, wait a minute is that legal to block the sidewalk... Maybe he can do a quality of life sweep and order the Chief to issue him a ticket. I also hear he is buying his son in laws police jackets like his however on the back they will read Mayors son in laws so everybody will know they ate allowed to make more money than the others.
knowwhatimtalkin about

Herkimer, NY

#7 Feb 26, 2013
Bondsman wrote:
Residents of the city care< they just feel that they have no power to change anything. In this city, it's business as usual for the powers that be.
duke

Herkimer, NY

#8 Feb 26, 2013
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>
The people of Utica NY do not care, 4 people showed up for his town hall meeting, When 30 to 100 people show up then that shows pride in the City
This may be a lie also, or you don't know what you are talking about. The budget meeting at the Jewish Community Center had 25 people and last nights meeting had 50 people.
NU Homeowner

Carthage, NY

#9 Feb 26, 2013
N. Utica voters have the largest block of votes in the entire City of Utica. They CAN change our politicians that do NOT perform satisfactory by voting them out of office. If every voter in Utica used their right to vote, you would see a drastic change in how this City's government is changed.

I have one message to ALL North Uticans - DO NOT LET THE POLITICIANS DESTROY US BY PLACING SEX OFFENDERS AMONG US.
duke

Herkimer, NY

#11 Feb 26, 2013
Bondsman wrote:
Mayor lied to my face but could not prove. This is proof he lies. When you lie you lose all credibility . How am I to believe you had anything to do with Bass Pro.?
It was the mall owners who secured that tenant!
Bondsman

New Hartford, NY

#12 Feb 26, 2013
duke wrote:
<quoted text>
Mayor lied to my face but could not prove. This is proof he lies. When you lie you lose all credibility . How am I to believe you had anything to do with Bass Pro.?
It was the mall owners who secured that tenant!
Absolutely
Concerned Citizen

Gouverneur, NY

#13 Feb 26, 2013
I was shocked to see the front page of the Utica OD admitting there are sex offenders at the North Utica motels. Not only is this a risk for North Utica residents, but think of the people from out of town traveling on the Thruway. If they get tired and decide to get off at the Utica exit to spend the night in one of the motels just off the Thruway, these people have no way of knowing about the sex offenders!
Bondsman

Ardsley, NY

#14 Feb 26, 2013
Concerned Citizen wrote:
I was shocked to see the front page of the Utica OD admitting there are sex offenders at the North Utica motels. Not only is this a risk for North Utica residents, but think of the people from out of town traveling on the Thruway. If they get tired and decide to get off at the Utica exit to spend the night in one of the motels just off the Thruway, these people have no way of knowing about the sex offenders!
Awwwwww, poor North Utica residents. Let's build a fence to keep all problems in East, West and South Utica, so North Utica residents aren't put at risk.
Ask yourself this

Newington, CT

#15 Feb 26, 2013
You are SHOCKED that the mayor LIED?! REALLY?! Come on now. This is 1. A politician, and 2. an Italian! What did you expect?!
Jack

Utica, NY

#16 Feb 26, 2013
He didn't even know Bass Pro was coming to N.Utica til someone told him. He doesn't even know what Bass Pro is. This guy stinks.
Frank

Utica, NY

#17 Feb 26, 2013
Not only do those 3 motels room sex offenders but they also promote prostitution. All 3 of those hotels rent to hookers, who live there, and sex offenders. Add that to your basket North Utica. They are all owned by scumbags. Right in your neighborhood.
lovely

Gouverneur, NY

#20 Feb 26, 2013
The worst of the worse!
stop the waste

Waterville, NY

#21 Feb 26, 2013
Frank wrote:
Not only do those 3 motels room sex offenders but they also promote prostitution. All 3 of those hotels rent to hookers, who live there, and sex offenders. Add that to your basket North Utica. They are all owned by scumbags. Right in your neighborhood.
As bad as it is that taxpayers are paying $75 to $100 per night to the tune of $250,000.00 last year alone to these hotels to house these homeless sex offenders, the same sex offenders are renting out their free rooms to prostitutes in order to raise money for their alcohol and drug addictions.

i feel bad for any out visitor that pulls off the thruway late at night and thinks that this might be a safe place to stay. What a way to welcome people to Utica.
concerned Drfld Resident

AOL

#22 Feb 26, 2013
I have followed these Sex Offender sites for years, Holding them up in the North Utica Motels is nothing new - its been going on for years - only now it seems to have doubled or more in numbers.
I feel these Motels should have a sign on site that says, SEX OFFENDERS HOUSED HERE.
concerned Drfld Resident

AOL

#23 Feb 26, 2013
Welcome to Exit 31, Utica, Gateway to the Adirondacks - Home of the Sex Offender, Prostitute,and Crack House

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump says upstate New Yorkers should move 37 min Zen 83
Frank Pelli wrong for North Utica Again take. Down 38 min RobbingUsBlindAtC... 32
utica/county to help fund downtown hospital garage 39 min Again 64
The consensus is that no decent woman would wan... 56 min Here Kitty 2
Worst place for a wedding reception 59 min happy life together 12
mega is da man 1 hr Joker 18
dr mecca - good dentist??? (Sep '12) 1 hr John 11
Utica cop bad decision move 2 hr A Joke 47
Police Cover-up in New Hartford 8 hr No way back now 221
OC ADA Mike Nolan.... 8 hr No way back now 74

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages