|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

I'm not trying to be funny, I'm asking because I honestly don't know. Is it:

A.) American Red Cross
B.) Adult Rehabilitation Center
C.) Association of/for Retarded Children

I've gotten used to saying The ARC without never really being sure of what it means. I always thought the R stood for Retarded, but I know it's not only for children.

Please help me.
I Respond To Idiots

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Judged:

It used to be "Utica Retarded Citizens" but because of the county-wide inbreeding and third-rate educational facilities, it was changed to "Area Retarded Citizens."
wow idiots

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

I Respond To Idiots wrote:
It used to be "Utica Retarded Citizens" but because of the county-wide inbreeding and third-rate educational facilities, it was changed to "Area Retarded Citizens."
your the idiot. retard is a discriminating word. Area resource center. Now its just the ARC. There are no periods to make it short for anything.
ubbthica

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

I Respond To Idiots wrote:
Really? No, seriously...is this what is really stands for?

If I was joking people I'd be a lot less subtle.
You are incorret

Auburn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

wow idiots wrote:
<quoted text> your the idiot. retard is a discriminating word. Area resource center. Now its just the ARC. There are no periods to make it short for anything.
Originally it was retarded citizens. It was changed to ARC because the word retard is now unacceptable. Just like the New York Lunatic Asylum changed its names many a year ago. Retard was accecptable at one time. Not any more
ubbthica

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

I'm starting to realize that there is no real consensus as to what the ARC acronym actually means. I'm only asking on this forum because the various people I've asked in person have never been able to give me a concise answer.

Some good answers so far. Keep 'em coming.

“Tinker”

Since: Jan 09

Oriskany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Judged:

The ARC for oneida-lewis county does not stand for anything. The one in Herkimer they say Area Resource Center. It doesn't stand for anything because the word retard is not acceptable to use anymore.
yes

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

It's just The Arc now, it doesn't stand for anything.
ubbthica

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

Megan123 wrote:
The ARC for oneida-lewis county does not stand for anything. The one in Herkimer they say Area Resource Center. It doesn't stand for anything because the word retard is not acceptable to use anymore.
Then what did it USED to stand for?
yes

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

It USED to stand for the Association for Retarded Citizens.
Euorgos

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

What is now "The ARC" was formerly called the "Association for Retarded Citizens" As is common knowlege, the word "retarded" is now considered to have negative conotations. Years ago it did not.
DrWho

Seneca Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2009

wow idiots wrote:
<quoted text> your the idiot. retard is a discriminating word. Area resource center. Now its just the ARC. There are no periods to make it short for anything.
So is idiot! You Reetard!
A Little history

Auburn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2009

Judged:

The Arc of Oneida Lewis County was started in 1954 as AHRC - Association for the Help of Retarded Children - at that time it served Oneida and Herkime Counties.

In the 60's the two counties broke apart each with their own agency and the name changed to ARC - Association for Retarded Children.

The name changed again in the 80's to Association for Retarded Citizens to reflect the fact that they served primarily adults and not children.

In the 90's following the lead of their state affiliation NYSARC the went to just The Arc as noted above to play down the word retarded.

The PC version of retarded, when I worked there in the 80's was individuals with developmental disabilities. I think now the individuals are designated as consumers.

If you are really interested go to:

http://www.thearcolc.org/index.htm
White Cracker

Auburn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2009

New York State Association for Retarded Children, Inc., Governs all ARCs
al sharpton

Constableville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2009

assoc. for retarted coons
daaaaa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2009

Judged:

Megan123 wrote:
You have no clue about the place. It is not an abbreviation but it does stand for ARK.

A few years age, ARC decided to change the name,they made a big deal about it.

Now this is not a joke,they Changed the name from
ARC (American retarded citizen) to ARC,

yes, even the people who run this place are retards.

Faith Burke and her idiot sidekick that run the place came up with the great idea, now the place is called

The ARC of Oneida county, it is not arc it is just like Noah's ARK, so when you say it it sounds like The ARK of oneida county,but it looks like

The ARC of Oneida county.
Hida

Costa Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2009

It maybe stand for mind your own business little shavers. Eat babnas. Grow healthy.
clueless

Auburn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2009

Hida wrote:
It maybe stand for mind your own business little shavers. Eat babnas. Grow healthy.
What do you do for a living you worthless pile of shit, make fry's,
flip burgers, wash dishes.
Hida

Costa Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2009

clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you do for a living you worthless pile of shit, make fry's,
flip burgers, wash dishes.
poor little shaver 's anger is really fear. What is wrong that makes you afraid little shaver? Maybe you are trying to flirt with Hida?
PC Bull

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2009

Judged:

Once you start changing words because of the "connotations", it never stops. Retarded was an accepted term that meant "not normal". It was used in every context, not just referring to people. And because the sensitivity police didn't like that people used the word "retard" in jokes, they changed things. Well you know what? Developmental disabilities still means the same damn thing! It means "not normal". It's straight and to the point. It's a fact of life, and it seems like people who have trouble dealing with the facts of life, like to make things "pretty and safe", so it's easier for them to deal with!
I wonder if all the mechanics who work on cars now have to use the term, "developmentally disabled timing" when referring to an engine that's not running right, because they could possibly lose their jobs for not being "sensitive" enough? Lol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Balcks are so ignorant lately 3 min Crime Rates 15
Dirtiest Urinal In Utica 5 min Dirty 4
Is There Really Any Difference Between Cops &... (Jun '09) 6 min Cows 12
To The Resident Topix Racist 10 min Think About It 18
utica aud 13 min Oh Boy 75
Where Did Robert T Oliveira Go 19 min Funny 9
Whitesboro sucks (Sep '10) 44 min Bobby 55
ND or Proctor Football: Who will have the bette... 57 min notre shame 55
utica national (Jun '13) 1 hr interviewing else... 516
Debate: Ferguson - Utica, NY 4 hr my opinion 94