First Prev
of 2
Next Last
majordog

New Hartford, NY

#1 Jan 1, 2013
How is this nation safer if I can buy a automatic weapon and a clip with hundred of bullets then in a private deal, sell that weapon to a gang member. How does this fit into the second admendement that starts "a well regulated militia"
Gun Owner

Utica, NY

#2 Jan 1, 2013
You cannot legally buy an automatic weapon.

If you sell a handgun or long gun to a known criminal, you are a criminal.

So, your question does not address the legality of gun ownership or the 2nd Amendment right. However, it does address the question of safety because your question consists of committing a criminal act.
nonsense

Utica, NY

#3 Jan 1, 2013
Very few modern guns use "clips", you were probably thinking of "magazines", so you may want to educate yourself before attempting to formulate any argument on this matter.

I don't understand why you would rather have people be victims of violance than allowing them to protect themselves.

For those who think so-called "assault weapons" or "high capacity" magazines aren't intended for protection; wake the f*ck up, the bad guys aren't going to be following any laws and when they invade your home they aren't gonna be packing a 19th century muzzleloader!
nonsense

Utica, NY

#4 Jan 1, 2013
Gun Owner wrote:
This is a very commmon misconception. The fact is, it's perfectly legal for civilians to own full-auto weapons such as an Uzi, M16, etc.

They are however heavily regualated, and you can expect to spend $10,000 or more once you have everything in order.
UrClueless

Albany, NY

#5 Jan 1, 2013
First off, you CANT buy an AUTOmatic weapon, and here in NY (probably most other states too) you cant buy a gun that will hold more than 10 rounds inits clip. If you were to buy a gun and sell it to a gang member, thats illegal, you'd be part of the problem. The second ammendment is meant for the peoples right to arm themselves against a government that goes wrong
Gun Owner

Utica, NY

#6 Jan 1, 2013
nonsense wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a very commmon misconception. The fact is, it's perfectly legal for civilians to own full-auto weapons such as an Uzi, M16, etc.
They are however heavily regualated, and you can expect to spend $10,000 or more once you have everything in order.
Yes, you can buy a M16, possibly an Uzi (I"m not sure of that), but you can't buy it as a functioning automatic weapon. You have to make an adjustment to it in order to have automatic firing capacity.
nonsense

Utica, NY

#7 Jan 1, 2013
UrClueless wrote:
First off, you CANT buy an AUTOmatic weapon, and here in NY (probably most other states too) you cant buy a gun that will hold more than 10 rounds inits clip.
You're an idiot.

Laws restricting the sale of automatic weapons were implemented in 1986. If the gun was made prior to that date, it's perfectly legal to own, sell, or buy it.

As far as being limited to 10 rounds, that too is BS. The fedreal assault weapon ban was implemented in 1994, and many states including NY adopted the federal law for state policy with no expiration. That said, if the gun/magazine was manufactured prior to 1994, it too is perfectly legaly to buy/sell in NY state, regardless of how many rounds it can hold.

It's not unusual to find guns for sale in NY state that come with 30-round magazines. I see it all the time and have even bought one. The reasons it's legal is because they were made prior to 1994.

These so-called "gun owners" are just as badly informed as those crying about gun control. It's pretty sad.
phonics for u

Camillus, NY

#8 Jan 1, 2013
nonsense wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot.
Laws restricting the sale of automatic weapons were implemented in 1986. If the gun was made prior to that date, it's perfectly legal to own, sell, or buy it.
As far as being limited to 10 rounds, that too is BS. The fedreal assault weapon ban was implemented in 1994, and many states including NY adopted the federal law for state policy with no expiration. That said, if the gun/magazine was manufactured prior to 1994, it too is perfectly legaly to buy/sell in NY state, regardless of how many rounds it can hold.
It's not unusual to find guns for sale in NY state that come with 30-round magazines. I see it all the time and have even bought one. The reasons it's legal is because they were made prior to 1994.
These so-called "gun owners" are just as badly informed as those crying about gun control. It's pretty sad.
Illegal to import possess anything classified as an "assault weapon" or "large capacity ammunition feeding device". Exceptions are for anything manufactured before September 13, 1994. Basically an exact mirror of the now expired federal "assault weapon" ban. New York City, Buffalo, Albany, and Rochester have enacted their own "assault weapon" bans..22 caliber tube feeding devices are exempted. Sale and transfer of "assault weapons" prohibited. The ban imposes what types of features you may have on semi-automatic firearms and magazine capacity.
phonics for u

Camillus, NY

#9 Jan 1, 2013
Assault is classified as semi, not fully, fully auto can NOT be possessed. S 265.02, S 265.02
Gun Owner

Utica, NY

#10 Jan 1, 2013
nonsense wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idiot.
If I were you, I would not mention the above information to any law enforcement person.

When a law is passed that changes a prior law, such as in your scenario, the new law won't apply to those who were in compliance with the prior law when they purchased and owned the now-banned item. Anyone buying a now-banned item after the new law is enacted is guilty of a crime under the new law.

Level 7

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#11 Jan 1, 2013
Gun Owner wrote:
If you sell a handgun or long gun to a known criminal, you are a criminal.
So, your question does not address the legality of gun ownership or the 2nd Amendment right. However, it does address the question of safety because your question consists of committing a criminal act.
Let me start by saying, I mean no disrespect to the original poster.
What your response misses completely is, Ignorance. When Guns are so readily available to a Populace so Ignorant of the very weapons they seek, no good can come of an increase in there availability. I know People with Guns, without the intelligence to know up from down(and that is before they start drinking)
see for yourself

Utica, NY

#12 Jan 1, 2013
Walk into Herb Philipson's, or better yet K&K Train and Hobbies, and you should see some semi-auto weapons for sale with 30-round magazines.

It's perfectly legal, albiet via a loophole pertaining to date of manufacture.

Level 7

Location hidden

#14 Jan 1, 2013
Dr.Timothy Leary, when asked about the problems with some people having "Bad Trips" on LSD in the 60's and 70's Responded (paraphrased) "This is t result of people with Volkswagen brains taking a Cadillac drug"

Stupid People should be careful, arming themselves with weapons they can't handle.
epitome

Silver City, NM

#15 Jan 16, 2013
I WAS SHOCKED when i read the restriction the new york govenor passed into law . A back ground check just to buy a box of 22 shells . I DONT THINK ANY STATE HAS A RIGHT TO KEEP RECORDS ON LAW ABIDING CITIZENS . SO EACH TIME YOU BUY A BOX OF 22 SHELLS WILL THEY HAVE TO DO A BACK GROUND CHECK ?
Sounds like they dont want new york state owning guns and they are going to make it as rough on you as they can if you want to own a gun..
you need to fire that govenor and elect one that likes people who are not out laws instead of one that trying to make gun owners out laws..
epitome

Silver City, NM

#16 Jan 16, 2013
Are you for real wrote:
Take away automatic guns, any gun can kill. A gun that holds one bullet can kill one child in the hands of a mentally disturbed person. That's one to many!!
take a way vehicles to many children and adults in new york state are killed in vehicle accidents . a vehicle that holds a child can kill that child if driven by a irrational driver . that one two many deaths .. people of new york need to learn once again to walk around the state starting with new yorks irrational govenor.
epitome

Silver City, NM

#17 Jan 16, 2013
majordog wrote:
How is this nation safer if I can buy a automatic weapon and a clip with hundred of bullets then in a private deal, sell that weapon to a gang member. How does this fit into the second admendement that starts "a well regulated militia"
its safer because a moral person can have the same type a gun to protect himself and family if that gang member decides to break into that persons house and try to shoot him and his family.

the gang member is not going to go gunless because a law says he cant own one .. its the moral person who will be gunless agaist the armed gang member.

the people who's right to bear armes shall not be infringed also have a right to form well regulated militia . with out govern ment interferance

Level 7

Location hidden

#18 Jan 16, 2013
epitome wrote:
<quoted text>
take a way vehicles to many children and adults in new york state are killed in vehicle accidents . a vehicle that holds a child can kill that child if driven by a irrational driver . that one two many deaths .. people of new york need to learn once again to walk around the state starting with new yorks irrational govenor.
All Cars are Registered and Insured against liability, the Drivers of all Cars must pass a test showing proficiency. Your driving history is a matter of record.
Is it really so unreasonable to assign similar regulations to Guns?
Oh yeah and BTW Cars are not DESIGNED to kill, Guns are.
Wrong again

Astoria, NY

#19 Jan 16, 2013
Bodhisatva wrote:
<quoted text>All Cars are Registered and Insured against liability, the Drivers of all Cars must pass a test showing proficiency. Your driving history is a matter of record.
You're just a pompous idiot with ridiculous ideas that don't change a thing.
BenGleck

Utica, NY

#20 Jan 16, 2013
Bodhisatva wrote:
<quoted text>All Cars are Registered and Insured against liability, the Drivers of all Cars must pass a test showing proficiency. Your driving history is a matter of record.
The chilling thing about the reaction of pro gun people , since the Newtown massacre, is the absence of empathy, or even sympathy for these innocent little kids that were killed. All I hear is outrage over any reform of gun laws. Tone deaf doesen't even begin to describe the right wing crazies in this country. If more guns is the path to safety, why does the coutry with the most guns in circulation have , by far the highest rate of deaths by gunfire? How many situations wind up deadly, that would not, if it wasn't for the presence of a firearm? Of course these would be Rambo's will now tell me that I am the naive one. But, far from it. i served in the Marines in Viet Nam. Both as an infantryman and an M.P. I probably have more experience that all these phony Ramboes, in violent situations. They are living in a fantasy world. Then there are those idiots that will tell you that they must be prepared to defend their homes against the U.S. military someday. What a crock of bull sh#t! If you see a platoon of Marines and Apache helicopters coming down your street, you don't need an assault rifle, you need a white sheet to wave (quickly!) I think the party of stupid is just breathing it's dying gasps. Let's hope so.

Level 7

Location hidden

#21 Jan 16, 2013
Wrong again wrote:
<quoted text>You're just a pompous idiot with ridiculous ideas that don't change a thing.
You know, when you use the moniker "Wrong Again", and then fail to point to anything that is actually wrong, it kind of makes you look.....well, Wrong Again.
If something I said was "wrong" please specify, otherwise change your name to Impotent, or inconsequential, or......Stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tazz Hanna 4 min losers 9
Who is a good dentist in Utica? 19 min Credit union 11
Banek, new NH AD, your football coach is clueless. 40 min nhsportsfan 1
Millions to paint the Aud and a few TV's? 50 min UticaSucks 1
Utica Comets win home opener !!! 1 hr comets fan 23
Water Bill increase 1 hr OUTRAGE 12
bobby mancuso finally fired from UFD 1 hr Bob loves facebook 3
Jobs coming in Utica with potential impact on L... 5 hr Da Law 29
Big drug bust new hartford 25,000 cash money 6 hr Tough momma 24
Rat Picente endorses Cuomo in TV ads 9 hr henry 58