Favorite Utica euphemisms?

Favorite Utica euphemisms?

Posted in the Utica Forum

ugh

Liverpool, NY

#1 Jun 2, 2009
Man, there's gotta be a lot of them.

"Weed and Seed,"...I'm not really sure if this is a euphemism or not because it never really seemed to get off the ground.

But check out the Smurfit Stone website where it says: "REAL WORLD PACKAGING EXPERTISE." This is just a fancy way of saying we have former psych patients STUFFING CRAP INTO BOXES ALL DAY LONG at our company.

Conmed's website says that it is a "Medical Device ORGANIZATION." Wrong! They are a medical device MANUFACTURER. Nothing but ex-cons working on assembly lines making the medical supplies for all the area hospitals and clinics. Big difference. But it just seems better to talk about Conmed's millionaire CEO and their stock prices as if it's a big corporation like Chase Manhattan or something.

Apparently companies in the area don't like to publicly disclose that they are basically little more than FACTORIES with low skilled ASSEMBLY LINE WORKERS who make p*ss in terms of wages and benefits.

Utica's not a former factory town...it still is a factory town - losers!
wayne

Liverpool, NY

#2 Jun 2, 2009
"Young Scholars" is a euphemism for "young troubled kids who might have better self-esteem if you call them scholars if they maintain a B average or higher."
Euphemize This

New York, NY

#3 Jun 2, 2009
ugh wrote:

But check out the Smurfit Stone website where it says: "REAL WORLD PACKAGING EXPERTISE." This is just a fancy way of saying we have former psych patients STUFFING CRAP INTO BOXES ALL DAY LONG at our company.
Doesn't Smurfit Stone shape cardboard that is later folded to make the boxes? If you're going to bash, bash with the correct facts. Wanna try again?
Perplexed

Syracuse, NY

#4 Jun 2, 2009
"Euphemize"........i sn't that when they put something to sleep.....like some of these posts should be.:-)
wow

Liverpool, NY

#5 Jun 2, 2009
Euphemize This wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't Smurfit Stone shape cardboard that is later folded to make the boxes? If you're going to bash, bash with the correct facts. Wanna try again?
Well, I wasn't too far off, was I? Sounds like they have some top engineers and scientists working at that place. And I bet most of their employees make 50K per year and up. I wonder why the website doesn't just say "we shape cardboard" succinctly?

I called Smurfit Stone once to ask what they do and I never got a definitive answer. When I kept asking "What is it you DO at Smurfit Stone?" the secretary kept saying, "We are a global resource and leader in recycling and sustainability..." I wonder if she was even informed as to what they do.
be scam savvy

Liverpool, NY

#6 Jun 2, 2009
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I wasn't too far off, was I? Sounds like they have some top engineers and scientists working at that place. And I bet most of their employees make 50K per year and up. I wonder why the website doesn't just say "we shape cardboard" succinctly?
I called Smurfit Stone once to ask what they do and I never got a definitive answer. When I kept asking "What is it you DO at Smurfit Stone?" the secretary kept saying, "We are a global resource and leader in recycling and sustainability..." I wonder if she was even informed as to what they do.
Sounds like a scam. Whenever a company's website is vague about what they actually do, you can rest assured that it is probably a scam. I've been applying for jobs for a while now and I've encountered enough of these vague company websites to know to just ignore them.

For instance, I applied for a job in New Jersey which the company's website advertised was a "community-based marketing firm." They claimed they were looking for creative and talented recent college graduates to fill vacancies in "writing, graphic design, ad/sales and management" positions. They said the starting salaries for these jobs was 30,000 dollars per year.

A helpful website called ripoffreport.com exposes the company for what it is: a scam. Basically, gullible college grads were being recruited to hawk trinkets in the ghetto for 300 dollars a week (roughly 15,000 dollars per year). New hires would wear charity t-shirts to assure huge sales, and then the company (which went through about 3 name changes in a little over a year) would keep 95 percent of the profits. The other 5 percent would be donated to the charity they claimed to be representing that week.

Never take a job description or a company's website at face value. Hiring companies always try to make job titles sound fancy and professional. I've heard of cashiers referred to as "customer service technicians" before. With this recession there are more scams than ever out there. People are desperate and more likely to be duped, and they might stick with a crappy job if they are promised longterm promotions and payoffs. A person might think: "Well, this job isn't all cracked up to be what I thought it would be, but maybe if I stick with it I can get an advancement and some eventual pay raises."

Scams are like pyramid schemes - all the hard work of people at the bottom is going to fill the pockets of a few people at the top. And like pyramid schemes, scam companies eventually implode or the scammers are exposed and arrested.

Do your homework people before you put yourself out there and apply for a job. You don't want to waste your time or end up getting hurt.
Sam

East Syracuse, NY

#7 Jun 2, 2009
ugh wrote:
"Weed and Seed,"...I'm not really sure if this is a euphemism or not because it never really seemed to get off the ground.
Conmed's website says that it is a "Medical Device ORGANIZATION." Wrong! They are a medical device MANUFACTURER. Nothing but ex-cons working on assembly lines making the medical supplies for all the area hospitals and clinics. Big difference. But it just seems better to talk about Conmed's millionaire CEO and their stock prices as if it's a big corporation like Chase Manhattan or something.
Apparently companies in the area don't like to publicly disclose that they are basically little more than FACTORIES with low skilled ASSEMBLY LINE WORKERS who make p*ss in terms of wages and benefits.
Utica's not a former factory town...it still is a factory town - losers!
Here is one: Cornhill Tree Of Life

Now thats funny what is a Pot Plant
Euphemize This

New York, NY

#8 Jun 2, 2009
Some of you are on another planet. ;-) Guess which ones.
lorl

Rome, NY

#9 Jun 2, 2009
How about...Mohawk Valley EDGE. That is a euphemism for "we're about to go over the edge" or "we are located at the edge of nowhere."

Can anybody think of any others?
All they do is lie

Southold, NY

#10 Jul 9, 2009
They posted pictures of design center that are not even real. the are 3-d Rendering. They talk a good game but don't know how to play one. BEFORE they filed Chapter 11 they gave out bonuses. Hmm A company you can trust. If you don't Kiss A** you will get let go.
enamon2

AOL

#11 Jul 9, 2009
Modified Sports----for children who hate gym but need some exercise.

Planned Parenthood---used to destroy our future population of welfare clients
Well

Syracuse, NY

#12 Jul 9, 2009
enamon2 wrote:
Modified Sports----for children who hate gym but need some exercise.
Planned Parenthood---used to destroy our future population of welfare clients
"Mayor Roefaro"- mindless benefactor
"Chief Labella"- mindless beneficiary
Nuff said

Since: Jun 09

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Jul 9, 2009
By hook or by crook. The way Utica has always been.
The definition

Syracuse, NY

#14 Jul 9, 2009
Euphemisms are words or phrases use when you want to dress up a word/phrase in something more friendly to hear. A euphemism usually masks a more direct or blunt term.
To borrow an example from George Carlin, the master of euphemisms:

"Liberals call it global warming, Conservatives call it climate change
scared

Long Eddy, NY

#15 Jul 9, 2009
Boilermaker, the World's Largest 5K road race = by "largest" they mean "FATTEST." There are more tubbies who run in this race than you see in most walk-a-thons. Seriously, compare how thin and slender the first 500 runners are (most of them way 120 lbs) to the last 9,500 runners. And the people bringing up the rear are literally morbidly obese.
Nightowl

White Plains, NY

#17 Jul 10, 2009
balls on my chin..... nypd pizzeria. tell em nick sent ya
WAT

New York, NY

#18 Jul 10, 2009
Yikes wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of them "way" 120 pounds? Damn, is this what the Chittenango school system produces?
Know weigh. Their much smarter then that.

Utica Lies and Riggies

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#20 Jun 15, 2014
scared wrote:
Boilermaker, the World's Largest 5K road race = by "largest" they mean "FATTEST." There are more tubbies who run in this race than you see in most walk-a-thons. Seriously, compare how thin and slender the first 500 runners are (most of them way 120 lbs) to the last 9,500 runners. And the people bringing up the rear are literally morbidly obese.
Some still haven't finished last years race.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who remembers Rocco Derollo snitching? 7 min golden gloves 6
what about charlestown mall (Dec '08) 17 min Never went back 50
Do all men 56 min Curious1 1
Ryan Miller 1 hr Juxtapose 4
Lu Lu Spa in New York Mills 1 hr Juxtapose 27
Pellettieri Joe's (Feb '10) 1 hr Jif 107
d victor pellegrino 1 hr he is a murderer 4
Alex Carbone dating Savannah Lei 2 hr Oh please 41
Cuomo pitching statewide platic bag ban. 3 hr Brilliant 39
Kevy Kev crossley 5 hr Rosemary 9