Utica Club beer
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
FX Piss

United States

#65 Nov 13, 2013
Not according to sales figures. What part don't you GET here? Can you take off the utica superhero costume long enough to see the facts or no?
lol

Bristol, CT

#67 Nov 13, 2013
FX Piss wrote:
Not according to sales figures. What part don't you GET here? Can you take off the utica superhero costume long enough to see the facts or no?
Exactly my sentiments but the Utican numbnutts can't seem to grasp that reading back through the thread.Personally I enjoy light beer, Coors or Old Mil for me. The UC die hards can say what they want but their " best beer ever" can't even get a market share outside the Mohawk Valley. Go to Syracuse and Albany and mention Utica Club beer and they will look at you like you have 3 eyes.And the poster who said it taste they way it does because of the water hit the nail on the head. Sure the water is filtered and other things but that does change its origin.

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#69 Nov 13, 2013
FX Piss wrote:
I get it. I just don't think taste has anything to do with it. In my opinion it is all brand image and advertising. I'm not trying to boost Utica at all. I hate when I have to stay at my house there. This is an issue about beer. I think U.C., Genny, PBR, High life and other so-called shit beers are way better than what other people think is great. Actually Genny Cream or 12 horse and Schmidt are my favorites. Pale ale piss would be my least.

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#71 Nov 13, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly my sentiments but the Utican numbnutts can't seem to grasp that reading back through the thread.Personally I enjoy light beer, Coors or Old Mil for me. The UC die hards can say what they want but their " best beer ever" can't even get a market share outside the Mohawk Valley. Go to Syracuse and Albany and mention Utica Club beer and they will look at you like you have 3 eyes.And the poster who said it taste they way it does because of the water hit the nail on the head. Sure the water is filtered and other things but that does change its origin.
Old Mil is pretty good. Though they are in the same group as the ones I mentioned. Most people would say that is piss water to. Why?? Because it does not have the brand image. I really think U.C. is not that bad not great just decent. I also believe people judge it so harshly just because it comes from shit hole Utica. People judge Genny badly too because it comes from shit hole Rochester. Know what though, I've been all over the country where people don't know about Rochester and lo and behold Genny is real popular and respected. Both beers suffer from residents self-loathing of there towns.
lol

Bristol, CT

#72 Nov 13, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text> I get it. I just don't think taste has anything to do with it. In my opinion it is all brand image and advertising. I'm not trying to boost Utica at all. I hate when I have to stay at my house there. This is an issue about beer. I think U.C., Genny, PBR, High life and other so-called shit beers are way better than what other people think is great. Actually Genny Cream or 12 horse and Schmidt are my favorites. Pale ale piss would be my least.
Look I understand you have some pride in your local brew, that's respectable. But here me out here. If you have say a 12 story building full of people and each floor is segregated from the rest and have their own likings. We will say Utica is the on the 12th floor far away from everyone else.Now we are going to go floor to floor doing a taste test with an assortment of beer.Meanwhile some floors make their own beer some don't. I would bet my last dollar and everything I own that the only floor that would even have "some" votes for UC that's right "some" not all would be the 12th floor. Why ? Because it simply is just not a great tasting beer.It never has been and it never will be.It will always have its local fan base.Just like a local lounge act.Some people will like them here and there.But UC will never, EVER be anything more than a lounge act.Why watch the lounge act if you can see the rolling stones, led Zeppelin or Metallica. That said your original post and creation of this thread has no bearing on anything.UC isn't some diamond in the rough that you are going to make any more likeable. It is what it is.A local beer with a local following. Oh and I really hate to burst your bubble, but I've been out on the town in many places in Albany Syracuse Amsterdam and anywhere else you can think of. Do they all carry UC, sure they do. But I can't recall even a dozen times seeing UC drinkers in other areas.Intact the only place I've ever seen it drank by the masses is on varick street where it pushed down your throat.
SaranYAK

United States

#73 Nov 13, 2013
You know when your "prized" and much bragged about local catpiss is calmly compared to a "local lounge act" there's just no point in continuing to pretend it's great hahahaha!
SaranYAK

United States

#74 Nov 13, 2013
I'm guessing that Matts and Conmed are run just about the same. In 70 years you'd expect management to actually find a real successful beer recipe that sells outside the employee base. Typical utican knowitall dictatorial management petrified of ruining the mediocre "success". Cuoldn't manage their way into a real beer if it was handed to them: They're too cheap and paranoid.

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#76 Nov 13, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Look I understand you have some pride in your local brew, that's respectable. But here me out here. If you have say a 12 story building full of people and each floor is segregated from the rest and have their own likings. We will say Utica is the on the 12th floor far away from everyone else.Now we are going to go floor to floor doing a taste test with an assortment of beer.Meanwhile some floors make their own beer some don't. I would bet my last dollar and everything I own that the only floor that would even have "some" votes for UC that's right "some" not all would be the 12th floor. Why ? Because it simply is just not a great tasting beer.It never has been and it never will be.It will always have its local fan base.Just like a local lounge act.Some people will like them here and there.But UC will never, EVER be anything more than a lounge act.Why watch the lounge act if you can see the rolling stones, led Zeppelin or Metallica. That said your original post and creation of this thread has no bearing on anything.UC isn't some diamond in the rough that you are going to make any more likeable. It is what it is.A local beer with a local following. Oh and I really hate to burst your bubble, but I've been out on the town in many places in Albany Syracuse Amsterdam and anywhere else you can think of. Do they all carry UC, sure they do. But I can't recall even a dozen times seeing UC drinkers in other areas.Intact the only place I've ever seen it drank by the masses is on varick street where it pushed down your throat.
It's not mt local beer though. Genny is. I always trashed U.C. because of what I was told. Then I tried it ande could not understand why people hate it so much. It is not bad at all. Genny has the same image. I think bud and labatt's are the worst beers I've ever tasted. I think they are as good as Keystone (which is terrible). Considering those beers are $5.00 more on average I think people are nuts to trash U.C. and pay extra for those bottles of true shwill. It is not local pride at all with U.C. it is just my opinion it is cleaner tasting and more drinkable than those beers. These brands that people trash Genny, U.C., Old Mil, High Life, Schmidt and many others used to have large followings back in the day until the branding wars started and the popular beers of today gained the market. My old man has told me U.C. was really popular in Rochester a long time ago. Now you can hardly find it and people around here say it sucks and have never tried it. I've brought some back before and sure they did not fall inlove but usually say it is not nearly as bad as they were told. Seriously, for the price would you really rather say a natty ice or Keystone. To me those are the worst beers in the world and people drink them.
beer expert

Evanston, IL

#78 Nov 13, 2013
saranac black forest is awesome.
Real Deal

Rome, NY

#84 Nov 13, 2013
I like Utica Club wrote:
<quoted text> Yes the focus has been on Saranac ( which by the way beers in the line have won awards/honors/medals both nationally and internationally So someone likes those mediocore beers) which is a national brand. UC has always been more of a Northern East coast, central states regional and it pretty much been since its inception. Yes UC or any of the Saranac lines break into the top 20, but neither does example any of the Sam Adams line. Does this mean that Sam Adams is as bad as UC/Saranac? Bottem line The FX Matt/Saranac Brewery has been around for 150 years someone has been buying their product, and its not just us OOTICANS!
I have bought UC at both a Lil' General quik-mart and a Publix supermkt in Melbourne, Fl. It sells well in 'Cuse too. Both my uncles in Quantico, Va. also say it flies off the shelves around that area too, so UC has a select niche mkt outside CNY. Most of the negatives on here are from less-informed people.
Real deal

United States

#86 Nov 13, 2013
Bring UC to Texas wrote:
<quoted text> I agree UC is a good beer worth bragging about. Come to Texas.
Why? You think they might pick up 6 new customers there?
Seriously

United States

#87 Nov 13, 2013
I like Utica Club wrote:
<quoted text> Yes the focus has been on Saranac ( which by the way beers in the line have won awards/honors/medals both nationally and internationally So someone likes those mediocore beers) which is a national brand. UC has always been more of a Northern East coast, central states regional and it pretty much been since its inception. Yes UC or any of the Saranac lines break into the top 20, but neither does example any of the Sam Adams line. Does this mean that Sam Adams is as bad as UC/Saranac? Bottem line The FX Matt/Saranac Brewery has been around for 150 years someone has been buying their product, and its not just us OOTICANS!
I'm sure the Susquehanna Hat Company was around for 150 years too. Oddly they aren't synonymous with hats. The real bottom line is it's a gnat. Always was, always will be until they piss out a better flavor and properly back it instead of halfassing two main lines with no discernible brand strengths. This isn't rocket science people if your brand shits the bed for 20-30 years something needs a tweak. Like the ber it's STALE. It's not daring or notable. It's like a warm Genny. YElleleeechce! People want a good beer not a sob story about how it's almost great but...
They seem to have the basic mechanics down but the line just sucks they're dying on the vine. Chintsy awards known to almost nobody don't translate into MShare or the fact it's not "as good as" many beers that have much better sales and win real awards (for those who care) and do it consistent.
That's not a brewery that's a swill museum. Weak showing almost all across the work.
Real Deal

Rome, NY

#88 Nov 13, 2013
Real deal wrote:
<quoted text>Why? You think they might pick up 6 new customers there?
Hey you fkin 12-year old reetarrd! Stop co-opting my moniker, you fkin assCLOWN! Just for once it'd be nice to have a legit dialog on this site.
t POLITIX

Mohawk, NY

#89 Nov 13, 2013
weird

Marlborough, MA

#91 Nov 13, 2013
I like Utica Club wrote:
<quoted text> My screwup under a different name.
And weren't you just bashing someone a few pages back accusing them of posting under different names because ooootica kept being said... I'll tell ys buddy... You really need to suit drink that sewer water they keep pumping out of varick street... It screwing with your brain....

Just adding my 2 cents here.......... An old timer friend of mine said something hysterical once about Utica club.......... He said for the past 50+ year since I can remember that brewery has been pumping all the drunks piss out of the urinals nearby and putting it in the bottles and cans....

Lmao.......... And this guy grew up in west oooootica. Old time Pollock.... great guy... and just classic sediment of the majority of residents from the area.....
Fat Tony Salerno

Rochester, NY

#93 Nov 13, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, it is not bad if you like bock. I really like that Genny uses the old "glass barrel" bottle too. So much better than long necks.
Genny got a new management team a few years ago. The new guys have been trying to bring back a few of the classics: old style bottles, old style labels, 12 Horse Ale, Fyfe and Drum, etc.

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#94 Nov 14, 2013
Fat Tony Salerno wrote:
<quoted text>
Genny got a new management team a few years ago. The new guys have been trying to bring back a few of the classics: old style bottles, old style labels, 12 Horse Ale, Fyfe and Drum, etc.
Now people if you want to taste truly awful beer, try Fyfe&Drum. I tried the first time a couple of years ago in the Heritage Pack. Holy crap what garbage.
Fat Tony Salerno

Rochester, NY

#95 Nov 14, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>Now people if you want to taste truly awful beer, try Fyfe&Drum. I tried the first time a couple of years ago in the Heritage Pack. Holy crap what garbage.
On the other hand, 12 Horse Ale is good stuff. Back in the '70's, that was Genny's attempt at making a premium beer. Now it's back.

“"Trust no one"”

Level 1

#97 Nov 14, 2013
I like Utica Club wrote:
<quoted text> Never drank one myself, but I've heard it's so bad you want to drink a Corona to get the taste out of your mouth!;-)
That is an understatement. So awful it is worth recommending once just to see how bad beer really can be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jim Jewet northeastern 10 min Frank 1
USC The Business College Closing 14 min Stars4 7
Utica Is a Great Place to Find a Job! 1 hr Dana salvo 43
Forbes Ranks Utica-Rome Metro Area 1 hr Stars4 30
Ironic Nano news announced before elections 2 hr ozziee 69
ucsd 2 hr Stars4 8
Town of Paris Supervisor ? 3 hr we need change 3
Jill Reale of WKTV (Jan '09) Aug 31 Diction 252
How to defeat the police licence plate readers: (Jul '10) Aug 29 All Too Easy 197
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages