layoffs at area hospitals

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
scared nurse

Cortland, NY

#1 Jan 6, 2011
I'm hearing rumors. Anyone know anything ?
Nope

Ithaca, NY

#2 Jan 6, 2011
I heard that they are clearing staff soon at St. E's, Lukes and Faxton this month and will not tell you until its time.

I just got hired at St. E's
what

United States

#3 Jan 6, 2011
scared nurse wrote:
I'm hearing rumors. Anyone know anything ?
I thought there was a shortage of nurses. Why would they lay you off?
no way

Cortland, NY

#4 Jan 6, 2011
I work at lukes and I know our census is low. fewer surgeries due to docs leaving and going else where to operate. peds is low, ed visits down. same at st e's . not sure why.
St Lukes

Herkimer, NY

#5 Jan 6, 2011
Heard several people got laid off at Faxton. Heard total will be in the 50's between Faxton and St. Lukes. Haven't heard of any nurses. So far it's random staff in all different departments.
St Lukes

New Hartford, NY

#6 Jan 6, 2011
The story is posted on the OD site.
lez bean

Cortland, NY

#7 Jan 6, 2011
Greedy CEOs

Syracuse, NY

#8 Jan 6, 2011
Evidently the OD didn't pick up on the cuts at St E's that came down the pike today also. The story is the same, just substitute
St Elizabeth for Faxton-St Lukes. Sure, cut the 10 dollar an hour secretaries, housekeepers and aides. Meanwhile the CEO's take home
$600,000 a year. No that's not a typo. That's what the head of St Lukes makes, and he isn't even a doctor. I can only imagine what St E's is paying their new CEO. I bet its a tad more than Sister Johanna made ($0). Howabout cutting the CEO's and letting the VP's and boards run things. They do anyway. Having a CEO is a redundant waste of money. Meanwhile patient care goes down the crapper when those that do the grunt work get sent home with pink slips.
oh oh Layoffs

Randolph, MA

#9 Jan 6, 2011
its in the wktv n observer dispatch breaking news..looks like everybody is gonna need food stamps now
Pineapples10

Cortland, NY

#10 Jan 6, 2011
Who would have thought that referring all your specialty services to Syracuse and Albany would be a poor business decision? Not FSL or St. E's!
The Judge

Whitesboro, NY

#11 Jan 6, 2011
it's because people cant afford to run to the dr's everytime they sneeze... Health care stinks and people are sucking up the pain..... therefore layoffs.
Too Bad

Lowville, NY

#12 Jan 6, 2011
My stepson along with 3 other from the Pharmacy Dept. were laid off today at St. E's. He worked there three years. Thankfully, he has no kids and such. He said one of the Rx members laid off had three kids.
citizens duty

Herkimer, NY

#13 Jan 6, 2011
Too Bad wrote:
My stepson along with 3 other from the Pharmacy Dept. were laid off today at St. E's. He worked there three years. Thankfully, he has no kids and such. He said one of the Rx members laid off had three kids.
let him collect unemployment, go to school to be a pharmacist and work for a drug chain store that helps to pay for the tuition!!
snorge

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Jan 6, 2011
Yes, there is a new CEO at St. E's. Yes, he makes more $ than Sister. Yes, he makes decisions....and oversees....and holds departments accountable....a very wise thing to do in this rocky economy. The layoffs were across the board and affected many layers of departments. Hospitals do close in this world. In CNY where we are, Medicare/Medicaid reimbursements are lower than anywhere else in the state ( a political issue), unfortunatrly our local hospitals rely on these government insurances for the majority of income as many folks in our population is aged and unable to afford private health care insurance. My heart goes out to all that are affected by this layoff. Before we all jump to conclusions lets remember, a hospital that can't pay it's bills, closes.....Inpatient census' are cyclical as are procedures....it has happened in the past and we will eventually strive again.
NHR

Long Eddy, NY

#15 Jan 6, 2011
Sadly, most of the cuts are due to Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement. The public is not well informed about reimbursment in general. The amount charged for services is no where near the amount reimbursed to the hospitals, regardless of the insurance. For those of you who believe that the hospitals are well-off, think again, and I can guarantee you it will get worse with "Healthcare Reform." Hospitals all over the country will be closing, if you think medical care is poor now, wait 10 years.
St Lukes ER

Herkimer, NY

#16 Jan 6, 2011
St. Luke's ER is a joke. I took my mother there a few weeks ago because we were out and she was having some difficulty breathing and dizzy (she recently had a bout with the flu). When we arrived, some guy in a booth said "sign in and have a seat and we will be with you as soon as we can." When I told him my mother was having trouble breathing, he shook his head and said "Sorry but you have to sign in first." After 15 minutes they didn't call her name and I asked them how much longer and he said "did you sign in?" I seriously considered driving home and calling an ambulance for her because she would get in faster. We waited another hour without her name being called and I ended up driving her to Little Falls Hospital where she was taken in immediately. Within an hour, we knew she had pneumonia, she had a breathing treatment, 2 prescriptions and we were heading back home. The care there was great and the staff was very professional.
I wonder if they ever called her name at St. Lukes.
Greedy CEOs

Syracuse, NY

#17 Jan 6, 2011
snorge wrote:
Yes, there is a new CEO at St. E's. Yes, he makes more $ than Sister. Yes, he makes decisions....and oversees....and holds departments accountable....a very wise thing to do in this rocky economy. The layoffs were across the board and affected many layers of departments. Hospitals do close in this world. In CNY where we are, Medicare/Medicaid reimbursements are lower than anywhere else in the state ( a political issue), unfortunatrly our local hospitals rely on these government insurances for the majority of income as many folks in our population is aged and unable to afford private health care insurance. My heart goes out to all that are affected by this layoff. Before we all jump to conclusions lets remember, a hospital that can't pay it's bills, closes.....Inpatient census' are cyclical as are procedures....it has happened in the past and we will eventually strive again.
Obviously your job was spared. I will reiterate my point that having an overpaid CEO "overseeing" things is a reundant waste of a half million dollars-plus. St E's doesn't need one man to make all that money for a job that simply isn't necessary. You can get rid of him and spare several employees lower on the ladder, employees that actually take part in and affect patient care. Here is another thought: Stop letting every drunk, bum, cokehead and whackadoo looking for free medication and food in the door. The hospital spends millions to give these med-seekers exactly what they are looking for, house them for days or even weeks, have them leave AMA and then repeat the cycle when they either run out of pills, have no place to go or are facing getting arested and want to get out of it. With the ejection of the Sisters St E's obviously isn't adhering to strict christian values anymore so why not start turning these leeches away at the door like other hospitals. You want to save money? Stop being a 200 bed free rehab/ temporary housing/ jail alternative kind of hospital. Can the fat be trimmed? Yes, but it needed to start at the very top, not the bottom. Who pays the figurative price? The patients.
Yankee

Morrisville, NY

#18 Jan 6, 2011
Hang on tight kids, here comes ObamaCare!
poppy cocky

Herkimer, NY

#19 Jan 6, 2011
heard st e's was digitizing/scanning records and those ppl have known for months that layoffs were coming to them.

Since: Dec 10

Warwick, RI

#20 Jan 7, 2011
St Lukes ER wrote:
St. Luke's ER is a joke. I took my mother there a few weeks ago because we were out and she was having some difficulty breathing and dizzy (she recently had a bout with the flu). When we arrived, some guy in a booth said "sign in and have a seat and we will be with you as soon as we can." When I told him my mother was having trouble breathing, he shook his head and said "Sorry but you have to sign in first." After 15 minutes they didn't call her name and I asked them how much longer and he said "did you sign in?" I seriously considered driving home and calling an ambulance for her because she would get in faster. We waited another hour without her name being called and I ended up driving her to Little Falls Hospital where she was taken in immediately. Within an hour, we knew she had pneumonia, she had a breathing treatment, 2 prescriptions and we were heading back home. The care there was great and the staff was very professional.
I wonder if they ever called her name at St. Lukes.
You should also take into consideration A) The difference in ER sizes. And B) The amount of people that come through the ER a day at St. Lukes as compared to Little Falls!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Utica Nano in the news 22 min Taxes on Overload 25
GE Pulls Out Of Nano 27 min Taxes on Overload 76
Raises for county politicians 34 min Taxes on Overload 21
Andrew Cuomo's upstate failure - CRAINS NY REPORT 40 min Goodbye Utica 5
Mayors $20,000 raise 45 min Goodbye Utica 42
Wibx Keeler, the dead beat 1 hr Lol Dont DODGE 60
Ranking Utica Prostitutes 1 hr hmmmm 275
Body at Olbiston Apts? 5 hr Piggy 23
Frank Duross, all his teams, have failed. (Jun '13) 9 hr Interesting 44
Carbone Sold 10 hr Cokeheads R US 20