Since: May 11

Location hidden

#22 Feb 28, 2013
Is it Aldi's or Hannaford that you have to pay a quarter for the cart? My wife goes to both, but I know she said you had to put a quarter in the cart, and then you get it back after?
Best Meat

Utica, NY

#23 Feb 28, 2013
Desantis sells the best meat around HANDS DOWN!
quarter

Herkimer, NY

#24 Feb 28, 2013
Energyman wrote:
Is it Aldi's or Hannaford that you have to pay a quarter for the cart? My wife goes to both, but I know she said you had to put a quarter in the cart, and then you get it back after?
Aldi's but some Hannaford's also do. New Hartford Hannaford always had the quarter box on their cars. I used to have a key to unlock them without the quarter from way back when I worked there.
Paper or Plastic

Utica, NY

#25 Feb 28, 2013
Energyman wrote:
I think your wife gives the bag boy a quarter and she gets it in the back......sorry you got confused.

Location hidden

#26 Feb 28, 2013
Paper or Plastic wrote:
<quoted text>
I think your wife gives the bag boy a quarter and she gets it in the back......sorry you got confused.
Wow, they work cheap!

Location hidden

#27 Feb 28, 2013
quarter wrote:
<quoted text>Aldi's but some Hannaford's also do. New Hartford Hannaford always had the quarter box on their cars. I used to have a key to unlock them without the quarter from way back when I worked there.
Thanks!!!
think about it

Utica, NY

#28 Feb 28, 2013
so than why did they build a walmart in lowville? people from boonville, remsen, barneveld, poland, cold brook and so on Would shop there. easier than traveling to utica. might not be the best supermarket chain, but its better than what is there.
trenton met

Seymour, CT

#29 Mar 1, 2013
Amazing how people fail to see the obvious. Yes, Utica is the urban center of our area. Yes, many people live there, many work there, many live off public assistance there, etc.... Have any of you naysayers considered the population of those north of the city? How many people to the north that drive a minimum of 15 miles to N Utica Walmart. Maybe up to 30 miles?

If you have the ambition, check the census data. Town of Trenton plus villages has approx 5k people. Then add western portion of Herk County, 1k, Town of Remsen 3k. Possibly some from Steuben and Forestport areas....Fair estimate of 10k population to support the store. You don't think thats enough?

Then you really have to consider fact that Mapledale district is prime for future development. I believe the town is working toward that go, they are pro-growth, they are trying to manage the growth in a way that balances the needs if locals and prospective businesses. There is room for growth. Rt 12 is the only significant N-S corridor between Syracuse and Capital District.

Consider this, if essential businesses like supermarkets, auto repair, medical care, etc.... never took a chance in a developing area, would it ever grow? There is a symbiotic relationship between all these businesses. As each business draws a few more customers, those customers also visit nearby businesses. The one key component required is transportation, Mapledale has it.
Some may argue there is no growth, population in Oneida County and NYS is declining, but not so in the Town of Trenton. It would be naive to think Hannaford hasn't done its homework.
nope

New York, NY

#30 Mar 1, 2013
trenton met wrote:
If you have the ambition, check the census data. Town of Trenton plus villages has approx 5k people. Then add western portion of Herk County, 1k, Town of Remsen 3k. Possibly some from Steuben and Forestport areas....Fair estimate of 10k population to support the store. You don't think thats enough?
Clearly Hannaford and others have considered the census data, which is why they have not opened a store there. Duh!
Kiss My Azz

Utica, NY

#31 Mar 1, 2013
trenton met wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully Hannaford hires Ed's daughter....she's the only one I'll miss.
Are we talking about the former snotty daughter who has improved her disposition because of rumored competition? I will never forget her rudeness at the register. Karma's a b!tch...b!tch!
Kiss My Azz

Utica, NY

#32 Mar 1, 2013
Best Meat wrote:
Desantis sells the best meat around HANDS DOWN!
well then...you have never experienced the joy of having plastic glove in your ground meat.

Location hidden

#33 Mar 1, 2013
Kiss My Azz wrote:
<quoted text>well then...you have never experienced the joy of having plastic glove in your ground meat.
LMAO!!!
They do sell good meat, but if the treatment to employees and customers is bad, people will go elsewhere.
Esquire

Hampton, VA

#34 Mar 1, 2013
DeSantis, oh yeak the place where all the cool people shop and get a good feeling frm paying too much. Well let me tell you, they will all be going to Hannford or whatever the "real" supermarket ends up being in Mapledale. By the way, did anyone catch that really tacky message DeSantis posted up in front of his store right after Christmas which said something like we can't stay in business with all our 33 employees unless you spend your money hear?.. Typical East Utican waap attitude....way too dumb to know better.
Whatsa Waap

Utica, NY

#35 Mar 1, 2013
Esquire wrote:
unless you spend your money hear?.. Typical East Utican waap attitude....way too dumb to know better.
spend your money "HEAR"? So who's "too dumb" dummy?
Clueless

Astoria, NY

#36 Mar 1, 2013
nope wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true. Hannaford will never open a store in a remote area like Barnevald. There is no profit for them in doing so. They stay in larger metropolitan areas like Utica and New Hartford where there is a steady flow of customers. Population in the Barnevald area is too small for Hannaford to even consider.
Hannaford has rural stores, you don't know what you are talking about
Pat Jazinski

Utica, NY

#37 Mar 1, 2013
I could see a Price Chopper instead of Hannaford. They like the small towns like Hamilton, Richfield Springs, Cooperstown, Carthage etc.

The small town stores are somewhat smaller than ones in Syracuse, New Hartford & Utica.
Mark Scheidelman

Utica, NY

#38 Mar 1, 2013
Whatever store comes maybe they will have a kids fun area.

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#39 Mar 1, 2013
What I don't understand is if someone wants to open a grocery store why would anyone argue that they don't need one? If its not for you...don't go.
lalala

United States

#40 Mar 1, 2013
I would personally love to see a grocery store open up there. I hate having to go to utica to get my groceries
Traders Joes

Astoria, NY

#41 Mar 1, 2013
It is actually Trader Joe's that is coming to Barneveld

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nano Nano Part 1 1 hr PolyCracker Losers 14
who is Mike Hill Sr? (Apr '09) 1 hr Ellen 25
Time Warner Cable: frequent internet service di... 1 hr Fed Up 4
Is There Anyone Who is Happy in Utica? 2 hr Nano to Nowhere 22
frozen dome classic 3 hr Nobody cared 44
Joe Bonanossa Joining Allman Brothers 3 hr Joe Nobody 43
Local Greaser Angelo "Wopslop" Nole dies! Good ... 3 hr Deam that dream 23
Charlie Shove 4 hr Rise and Grind 48
state farm new hartford 6 hr Knows him 46
Utica Dating